[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

Hi!

Thanks for the tutorial, on my E6400 i nearly got it running because of this.

Beside a missing Battery-Icon (and of course Touchpad and Bluetooth) i experience a really bad graphics performance - I think no Quartz... The resolution of 1440x900 works but it's too slow even for playing a DVD or using photobooth - external VGA is working but not in Mirror mode (laptop display black)...

I installed iaktos, then upgraded to 10.5.6...I use the kexts for nic and external vga plus the two HDA-kext's (except the external vga from the initial post). The rest comes from the iaktos (nvidia mobile plus ahci selected...)

Does anyone have a idea how to troubleshoot the battery-icon and the lousy graphics performance? I tried deleting several kext's and reinstalling them... no progress

Regards,

Josh

docking, + displayport to DVI working

news:

- timemachine not working ,...failed to mount

- docking with the e-modular bay, dvi works , with auto switchover, and dual display,

note, need to undock , awake, otherwise black screen (iatkos , with nv dual 0.2d)

- displayport to DVI adapter, works like the dock , good news

- VGA out not working, did not try other kext, since dock and DP-DVI works,

and for 10.5.5 need nvcap or efi string ,... would need to test out , but it's a lot of work,

problems:

- time machine not working,... faild to mount,....

- keyboard layout don't match, have missing tilda ,....

don't know how to change keyboard layout (custom ?)

- touchpad, still not functional, only after sleep/wake, with no scroll

- bluetooth 370 not working, using USB bluetooth

- power managment, don't have settings, aka powerbutton for sleep,

- power consumption,... max at 3:21 but more like 2:45 with 54whr battery

should be close to 4+ hrs, (LED dim, SSD disk)

- locks up, from sleep

- shutdown/restart don't work, black screen or lockup

- 10.5.6 need help , to figure out update

- ethernet , got problem with sleep /wake , get the DHCP messed up, and is unusable afterwards,

I used iDeneb 10.5.5 to install OSX, everything went fine. Some users here report that their internal microphones are working. After installing the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts and removing the AppleAzalia kext (per suggestions on other threads), my microphone still is not working, however, my audio is.

I also tried an external mic, but OSX did not recognize it either (through mic-in port), but i'm not 100% sure that its compatible with OSX anyway.

Thanks for any help/advice on the microphone issue.

Hi all,

It's nice to see u talented guys looking for kexts for new Latitude. I tried hard few month ago, but gave up since the 5100 b/g/n didn't comes with a proper kext.

The stock build-it NIC shouldl be Intel 82567, and dingguinjin wrote a 82566 kext which works perfectly also, so, give it a try.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128931

I have tried everything from Kalyway, iAKTOS and iDeneb and so far the best results I have obtained was w/ iDeneb and the NIC driver attached here. I cannot get the touch pad up, audio nor wireless "1397" to work properly. At this time either my new company can buy me a Mac book or just deal w/ the fact that I am a Ubuntu/Vista user unless one of you have been able to make some magic happen.

Best regards

Lat E6400

Processor,P8600,2.4,3MB Core Penryn,25W,M0

Module,Liquid Crystal Display 14.1WX+,Light Emitting Diode Secondary,Roush/heelys

Module,Dual In-line Memory Module,4GB,800MHZ,DDR2,2X2

Module,Card ,Network,DW1397 United States,Latitude,M09

Hi

I'm new on this forum and I got a Dell E6400 laptop.

I read this topic and I would get some news about if somebody got the solution for Wifi 5100 drivers. Which Operating System is at the moment the most compatible/stable ?

Thanks you for you answers.

// Still looking for some informations about Leopard on Dell E6400/E6500

couple of replies,...

for

weirdo81622 , for sound workaround, get a USB sound, that has output and input,...

the HDA patch should work,... but it gets tricky with all the other kexts,...

chicman the lan driver not perfectly for me,.... does your lan, work after sleep (no dhcp problem ) ?

rev0jace for serious work,... get a macbook with vmware, be done, don't forget backup drive

you don't state what graphics card you have ? if it's not the 160M, then forget it,...

for the wifi, probably need an early airpot update, -> to current,

I got 1510N with draft N working with my airport extreme,...

how is ubuntu on this laptop ? my buddy is currently running ubuntu on his macbook,

since his hard disk crashed, and he did not have a osx install disk, funny eh ?

also could get an USB wifi, think ralink,... till you get internal to work

Nask 5100 is not working, and was in this post,.... and most compatible is not OSX, since its not supported!

Guys, nice to see there's some progress you guys made on your hack, mainly on the vga side.

Anyhow, I've got a problem with vga. Somehow, my vga now detects as Geforce 8500GT instead of Quadro NVS and of course QE was not supported. I've tried installing new kext but somehow it didn't work. Any workaround for this guys? Any help is very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem. Here's how to fix it.

So you can't boot into OSX? Were you ever able to do it? If so, try reinstalling OSX.

When you start it up the first time, immediately go to the /usr/standalone/i386 (or something like that...im not exactly sure of the path, but you're aiming for the i386 folder). Copy the "chain0" file to a flash drive or something, then restart and attempt to start windows.

if it does, great, if not, you'll have to burn a boot CD with linux (almost anything will do), and use that to set the windows partition to active (i'm assuming you're doing a dual boot here). Boot into windows, and download EasyBCD. Add an entry to the bootloader for Mac OS, and copy the chain0 file into C:\. Restart, select the mac partition, and it should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, mac noob here but I'm a big hardware guy on the PC side. I got only three questions...

1. My installs for mac 10.5 are failing. The install you go through the welcome screen and installing. But it looks like at 99% finished, it says the install failed. I have tried Kalyway, iAtkos, and now iDeneb. Kaly is the only one that gives me some type of real error message, but I don't remember it. Something about a kernel or a bad cd. Could all my iso be bad? seems farfetched.

2. What kernel and other custom items do we add for the install? I don't think that was mentioned in the first post about the guide. Maybe I'm missing a key part and it's forcing a fail.

3. Has anyone installed using IRRT for the hard drive bios? I have my vista setup with IRRT and I cannot switch back and forth. I can hack the ini to ACHI, but I rather keep it at IRRT. This is the least of my concerns. I just rather see MAC load correctly.

*EDIT* I got my E6400 to boot with IRRT. I don't think I can switch back a forth, but I don't mind.

Thanks guys...

how did y'all get the sound running,

and also the gpu?

i got the wifi,ethernet running but the gpu, and sound have stumped me

What are the specs of your E6400/E6500? What kind of "distro" are you using? I've installed iPCx86 10.5.6 final 1.1 and it works great. But no Bluetooth (Dell 370), WLAN (Intel 5300), UMTS (DELL HSPA 5530) and no reboot/shutdown.

gpu (NVidia NVS 160M works perfect with QE) -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1016111

sound (IDT HDA Codec) -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1016339

My Specs:

Processor: Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8 Ghz

HDD: 160 GB @ 7200RPM

RAM: 4 GB DDR2

Graphics: Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M

Wifi: Intel Wifi 5100

Bluetooth: NO

Screen: 14" 1440x900 LED

Battery: 9 Cell

Keyboard: Backlit

Webcam+Mic: Yes

The deal with the WiFi--

After about a month of dealing with eithernet cables, I just went and bought a dell 1397 card on ebay (about $15) and plugged it into the Wi-Max slot. Not a super-easy thing, as the slot is full height and the card is half-height, but it works. Alternatively, just swap it out for the Intel card if you want.

What still doesn't work for me:

Trackpad (Touchpad) - Really a nagging issue. I've spent literally hours looking through various ApplePS2Trackpad kexts for ALPS trackpads. Everything fails to work correctly, but I've pinpointed the issue: the trackpad is simply extremely sensitive. If we could find some way to fix that, we would be all set. [NOTE: the built-in Trackpad PrefPane DOES NOT help]

Sleep/Wake - Computer is never fully able to wake up from sleep. Not a huge issue, though.

Shutdown/Restart - Proper shutdown of all components EXCEPT motherboard occurs - however, full turn-off requires holding down power button for a few seconds.

Does anyone have any good solutions for the trackpad issue? Any further stuff I can try to work with? I'm really desperate, so I'll try pretty much anything.

My Specs:

working:

- CPU: Core 2 Duo P9500 2.53 Ghz

- RAM: 4 GB DDR2

- GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M

- HDD: 250 GB @ 7200RPM

- Sound: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

- Mic: Yes

- DVD: PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A2S ATA Device

- LAN: Intel® 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

- WebCam: Creative Technology Ltd. Integrated Webcam

- Screen: 14" 1440x900 LED

- Battery: 9 Cell

- Keyboard: Backlit

Not working:

- WLAN: Intel® WiFi Link 5300 AGN

- Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card

- GPS: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Minicard GPS Port

- Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller

- Broadcom USH CV w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor

- Touchpad: Dell Touchpad (ALPS)

- OSX: Sleep/Restart/Shutdown

Not tested:

- Firewire: RICOH OHCI IEEE 1394-Hostcontroller

- 3G+: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Minicard NetworkAdapter

10.5.6 update

anybody tried ?

the update, screwed up the keyboard, sleep wake shutdown don't work,....

ideneb 10.5.6 no sleep, keyboard, touchpad problem,....

next ipc ,.... so far , not good, definitly need sleep/wake,

also be nice, to have time machine, and netflix, .....

definitly , need the keyboard, and touchpad ,... touchpad , anybody got it to work, from first boot ?

any progress, on scrolling,...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

no updates on this?

Everything seems to be working fine from this tutorial except:

1) Bluetooth 370

2) Wireless Intel - need to swap out to an older Dell 1390 or Dell 1510n

3) Keyboard / Touchpad!!! -< this is the killer..... need ALPS drivers

After some experimentation i figured out what REALLY fixes the Trackpad.

After posting the information about the ps2 kexts, i rebooted my computer off the docking station while trying to fix sleep (which i have sucessfully- minus the ability to have it sleep when you close the lid), after which the trackpad resumed spazzing. Long story short, i discovered that if you turn the laptop on, boot into OSX, THEN dock it, the trackpad will act normally.

Now, onto fixing the audio so it outputs from the headphones and getting dual monitors to work....

After some experimentation i figured out what REALLY fixes the Trackpad.

After posting the information about the ps2 kexts, i rebooted my computer off the docking station while trying to fix sleep (which i have sucessfully- minus the ability to have it sleep when you close the lid), after which the trackpad resumed spazzing. Long story short, i discovered that if you turn the laptop on, boot into OSX, THEN dock it, the trackpad will act normally.

Now, onto fixing the audio so it outputs from the headphones and getting dual monitors to work....

(i keep getting a database error when trying to post this, sorry if it appears more than once)

Regarding the Touchpad - I had problems on Linux too with this touchpad. Side scrolling would work until the driver crashed and fell back on a "generic" driver without acceleration. Apparently the Syntaptics Touchpad has a weired 9 byte code it sends which confuses the current alps driver. It would be already great to have the generic driver working (without acceleration) under MacOSX.

I still have problems getting Quartz Extreme to work. I tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to change. There is little information to the NVS 160m card which apparently uses a 9300 GS chipset. Here is what happens in a dmesg output. It gets proped by NVDarwin although I deleted the NVDarwin.kext in my Extension Directory. Can anyone give me some advice here please, I'm getting frustrated?

Couldn't alloc class "NVDA"

Couldn't alloc class "NVKernel"

NVdarwin: Probing.

NVdarwin: Setting @0,NVMT=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVdarwin: Setting @0,device_type=display

NVdarwin: Setting @0,fboffset=0x00020000

NVdarwin: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A

NVdarwin: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVdarwin: Setting @1,device_type=display

NVdarwin: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B

NVdarwin: Setting @2,compatible=NVDA,sensor-parent