[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

Hey All, Im on the Latitude e6400, Got Almost everything working, however I CANNOT figure out how to get the NVS 160m to work properly

I was able to get the 1440x900 resolution by modifying the boot.plst and adding in:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440×900×32</string>

This works and looks alot better, however no QE, and I cant run Photobooth etc, because the graphics card is un-supported, and additionally I cannot do dual monitor.

I Have the e6400 dock, but Im using VGA out put, (dont have an HDMI or DVI)

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated, and if possible, please write it step by step, Im still new-ish to this.

in your osx partition...dont worry, you'll know when u install cham 2.0. cheers

great guide Pendekar. that was exactly what i needed. everything seems to be working great. i tried sleep, restart, shutdown, and the sd card slot and none of those work, but considering i'm writing this post from my hacintosh i'm pretty happy for now. i'm still waiting on my 1397 wifi card to arrive. when i hook that up, will it work natively, or do i need a kext for that?

thanks again for all of the help!!!

not directly OSX related, but I just bought a backlit keyboard for my e6500 (which came from the dell outlet with a standard keyboard). It is a simple drop in. I was also happy to find out that I could configure it in win7 with the dell software and the settings for it stayed when I rebooted into OSX (unlike the mouse settings).

Hi Pendekar,

Just wondering how do I do these steps? I know how to burn the Boot 132 and Retail 10.5.6 to DVD but I was wondering how to put them onto a USB thumb drive. Also, when you wrote "I insert most of my working kext inside initrd.img, what working kext are you refering to?" Thanks.

1. Customize boot 132 - USB thumb drive (I insert most of my working kext inside initrd.img)

2. Retail 10.5.6 - USB Thumb drive

@gatorgolfer

Glad that your machine turns out well, and truth to be told, this is my 1st time to write a guide and please pardon my english as my writing skill sucks, even if i write in my own language :). for dell1397, please refer to my 1st post in this page. that is the kext for the wireless. instruction provided inside,

@zPilott

Nice to hear that the config stays in OSX, you bought the backlit k/b direct with DELL is it.? how much does it cost?

@lilryu

You can put whatever kext that you have, or downloaded from this thread. except for nvdarwin cause it wont work. The reason that i do is because sometimes when i wanna use most of my hardware if i cant boot normally. for troubleshooting purposes, and to avoid any black/blue/green screen.

for the usb boot, there's a lot of guide on how to make your usb bootable in this forum, please do some research 1st.. :thumbsup_anim:

I bought the backlit keyboard from a rep at zones.com I gave him the service tag of an E6500 that had one already so that he could tell the rep to order me a replacement (it was the only way Dell would do it) and it was about $75. I may still have the part number etc if you need it.

This is how I got my E6400 Graphics, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M, working at native resolution with QE/CI and Quartz-GL in 10.5.7.

This is a vanilla retail install, starting with a 10.5.x<6 disc and a 10.5.6 rollup.

1. Install 10.5.x<6 (I used 10.5.1).

2. Add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32@60</string> # if you have 1280x800, use that
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I used the console with sudo -s, and edited it in vi. This saves the permissions.

3. Restart; you should now be in native LCD resolution (1280x800 or 1440x900).

4. Run 10.5.6 rollup mpkg, reboot again.

5. Install the 10.5.5 kexts from the OP, EXCLUDING anything "NV" - this is important.

6. Install the 10.5.6-ready ApplePS2 enablers for your keyboard, trackpoint and touchpad. The touchpad will work if you have an E/Port to dock and undock, though I haven't yet found a way to make it smooth otherwise.

7. Make sure permissions are good, flush your Extensions.mkext and reboot again.

At this point, you should have the important things working - LAN, WLAN (if you're using a Dell 1510 card), keyboard, trackpoint and touchpad, webcam (if installed), and sound.

8. Download the NVIDIA Universal Installer.mpkg and install it with default options - DO NOT use NVinjectors.

9. Download NVdarwin 1.2.5 or the latest version and install it.

10. Update permissions, refresh Extensions.mkext, and reboot.

Now here comes the fun part: kext editing. In your /System/Library/Extensions, use a terminal and sudo -s, then vi NVdarwin.kext/Contents/Info.plist. Look for the IOPCIMatch key, and add your Device ID from System Profiler-Graphics/Displays.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
0x06eb10de

"0x6eb" is the device ID for my graphics card. I don't know if 0x6eb is universal for the NVS 160M, but if it is, cool.

Once finished editing NVdarwin.kext, do another Extensions.mkext flush and reboot. At this point, I'd highly recommend downloading the 10.5.7 rollup package, as well as osx86tools. When you update to 10.5.7, you may have to re-install some of your kexts to get keyboard, trackpoint/touchpad and sound working again, but once you do, you can enable Quartz GL with OSX86Tools, and you're golden.

You should have:

GL rendering

GL screensavers

Translucent menu bar

System Profiler should report:

Chipset Model: Unknown NVIDIA Card

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06eb

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

You can dock with either a DVI or DisplayPort device and it will become the master display. You can add a DisplayPort device without the dock as well. I haven't tried the VGA port yet, but I'll report once I do.

Now all that's left for me to do is enable the CardBus slot (not ExpressCard on my machine) and the Ricoh SDHC reader. Everything else works beautifully. I should also note that sleep, shutdown and reboot also do not work because of NVdarwin.

Any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

@CalaverX11

does your sleep/restart/shutdown work with your method?

I should also note that sleep, shutdown and reboot also do not work because of NVdarwin.

I have not yet found a fix for this. If anyone has one, please, share.

I'd also like to get lid-toggled display or sleep working. Right now, closing the lid doesn't turn off the backlight, which is a big power drain. Touchpad scrolling would be nice, too. The ALPS package on this site doesn't seem to work.

ohh, miss that part out..my bad.. anyway, welcome to the club! hopefully in time, we all can have a perfect hackintosh lappy.

You may have seen the original post before I edited it. I added that in a little while later after writing it. I'm going to keep digging until I get everything working properly. So far, I'm happy with what DOES work. Touchpad scrolling is the next big thing, followed by SDHC and CardBus.

As an update, all VGA outputs work perfectly - DisplayPort, DP-to-DVI, dock DP/DVI and onboard and dock VGA. All monitor configurations work beautifully, the only catch being that I can only connect one external device. I don't know if there's away around this, but frankly, I'm happy with the fact I get a nice, clear laptop image and a decent external display image. From what I've seen, you can only connect one external display to MBPs anyway, so this is no big deal.

ADDENDUM

After some experimenting, I've noticed that display performance is HAMPERED with Quartz-GL enabled. Flash, YouTube and Hulu.com were suffering, especially at high-resolution. Turning Quartz-GL off and leaving QE/CI enabled seems to have sped up 2D performance. No more slowdown or stuttering with Hulu or YouTube HD video.

3D performance is rather sluggish, especially in dynamic rendering environments (such as Second Life). Since the NVS 160M drivers aren't native, there's nothing I can do about this. 3D apps will still run, and run reliably without too many issues, just don't expect stellar performance.

How does final cut pro and firewire fare for most of you with the E6500? I've heard lots of good things about the Nvidia card but getting results for final cut pro on the wiki or the forum for the E6500 is difficult. What has your experiences been- can it run final cut pro well or not?

I was looking back through the posts because i remembered some people saying that they had gotten sleep to work, and i came across Doomi's post:

Doomi post, May 17

Does anyone know if the"usb sleep" kexts will work? considering how many tries it took to get my comp in the working state it is now, i'm a little hesitant about messing around some more, but it would be nice to have the ability to sleep.

let me know what you guys think

I was looking back through the posts because i remembered some people saying that they had gotten sleep to work, and i came across Doomi's post:

Doomi post, May 17

Does anyone know if the"usb sleep" kexts will work? considering how many tries it took to get my comp in the working state it is now, i'm a little hesitant about messing around some more, but it would be nice to have the ability to sleep.

let me know what you guys think

Nope, the USB Sleep kext doesn't work for me.

Hey Thanks for the posting, I followed your guide, well what I could follow as I already had 10.5.7 installed, but still no luck.

I had installed the NVIDIA 9000 Series 2 package which allowed me to have dual display working, and I also had already modified the boot.plst to get the 1440x900.

Dual display does work perfectly, atleast through the dock, and seems to be smooth however I still cannot get Quartz Extreme.

Unknown NVIDIA Card:

Chipset Model: Unknown NVIDIA Card

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06eb

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.3

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

PL713s:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

What other Kexts do you have to make it work? Do you have these or just the NVdarwin. Maybe you could post your kexts, or something, Im not sure why its not working.

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVdarwin.kext

nvenet.kext

Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

You may have seen the original post before I edited it. I added that in a little while later after writing it. I'm going to keep digging until I get everything working properly. So far, I'm happy with what DOES work. Touchpad scrolling is the next big thing, followed by SDHC and CardBus.

As an update, all VGA outputs work perfectly - DisplayPort, DP-to-DVI, dock DP/DVI and onboard and dock VGA. All monitor configurations work beautifully, the only catch being that I can only connect one external device. I don't know if there's away around this, but frankly, I'm happy with the fact I get a nice, clear laptop image and a decent external display image. From what I've seen, you can only connect one external display to MBPs anyway, so this is no big deal.

ADDENDUM

After some experimenting, I've noticed that display performance is HAMPERED with Quartz-GL enabled. Flash, YouTube and Hulu.com were suffering, especially at high-resolution. Turning Quartz-GL off and leaving QE/CI enabled seems to have sped up 2D performance. No more slowdown or stuttering with Hulu or YouTube HD video.

3D performance is rather sluggish, especially in dynamic rendering environments (such as Second Life). Since the NVS 160M drivers aren't native, there's nothing I can do about this. 3D apps will still run, and run reliably without too many issues, just don't expect stellar performance.

I didn't use the NV9000 drivers, I used the NVIDIA Universal Installer package...I'll post a link here once I find it.

There's a caveat though. After updating the drivers and installing and modifying NVdarwin, while I was on 10.5.6, I had the "white menu" bug. Foreground objects were completely blank. This was solved when I updated from .6 to .7, so I'm not sure what fixed it. If you're starting out on .7, I'd recommend rolling back to .6 if possible. You MIGHT be able to get away with just loading NVdarwin with the modifications and not installing any drivers. Try it just to see what happens, but if it doesn't work, roll back to .6, install NVUI, NVdarwin mods, and update to .7. That's the best I can offer.

I have only gotten sleep to work with the voodoo kernel and some changed kexts. Before the kexts, when I went into sleep, the computer would lock up. After the kexts, with the vanilla kernel, the computer would go to sleep, but wake up immediately (in the log you could see the wakeup event).

I attached my current kexts a while back. The computer won't auto sleep when closing the display, but will sleep due to inactivity or by pressing Fn+F1.

I am still running 10.5.6, but hopefully with the advise on this thread, I will be moving to 10.5.7 soon (actually reinstalling to a new bigger drive...)

i've got a couple things to comment on:

1) has anyone read about and/or tried this: VoodooPS2Controller.kext

(google it, they won't let me add the link)

it says that it supports ALPS and has multi touch capabilities (i might try it later)

2) i want to dual boot with ubuntu. i already have OS X installed on a GUID partition scheme w/ cham 2.0 as the bootloader. I was thinking i might be able to install ubuntu w/o GRUB and link it to cham, but i'm not sure how and i'm not that good in terminal. another option would be to install GRUB on the ubuntu partion and chain the two bootloaders together; again, i'm not quite sure how to accomplish that.

has anyone here done something similar or know of a good guide for this?

UPDATE:

i found a quick and easy guide to installing ubuntu with my set up. 9.04 runs flawlessly with cham2.0. if anyone wants the guide let me know, but not gonna do it now. it's time for bed!

@Pendekar

The guide that I found was on the DailyBlogged and was posted by Thomas.

(I'd add a link, but the forum isn't cooperating. Also, I made some adjustments. Way easier my way :D )

As always, you should probably back up your hdd before you start.

1) Use you favorite method of setting up your partitions. I just used GParted on the Live CD I installed from. You only need one new partition for Ubuntu. Pay attention to the partition name (i.e. /dev/sdaX, where X is some number).

2)Run the install program, and select your new partion for the install and go through everything just like a normal install.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE INSTALL MENU!!!

This is the part that keeps everything simple. At step 7 of the install, click on advanced in the bottom right of the window. In the new window that opens up, change the install location of the GRUB loader to the same partition you 're installing ubuntu. This will prevent GRUB from messing anything up.

3)Now start the install. When it is finished, reboot. When I did this part, I had to use the Boot-132 disk to get back to OS X. I read that sometimes Chameleon will still load. I dunno.

4)Once you are back in OS X reinstall Cham2.0. You shouldn't have to reinstall your kext or anything.

5)Reboot again. Cham should show up with options to boot into OS X or Linux.

Let me know if there are any questions.

As a note:

I have a random fat16 partition showing up in cham2.0. I not sure where it came from. If someone has the same thing happen let me know. i'm going to see what i can do about it.

Also, does anyone know about that voodooPS2Controller?

10.5.7 install

preample: 10.5.6 working, sleep/wake, -> trackpad only after sleep/wake or dock cycle,...

fast install:

disk: have 1,2,3 partition for osx boot testing partition 4 for user and apps 320gb

ssd,... have external esata 2.5 / 3.5 adapter, install on other disk, and swap drives

ipc 10.5.6 DL from iso, install from running system, no need to boot from scratch, makes it faster,

also easier to patch, rerun installer and only select the new/changed stuff, or do a manual kext patch,

unfortunatly, osxtools, only wants to patch the running system,.... don't know how to point to a different install,...

anybody knows ?

10.5.7 results

sleep/wake not working vanilla or voodo

trackpad, big mess,... since it's not working, and sleep/wake not working, show stopper, nogo for a laptop

nvidia,... works, docking dvi, displayport works, nv 0.2 or osxtools kext

keyboard needs patch,... voodo ps2 promissing,... had not had a chance to test,

if that could fix the trackpad, that be great.

argh,... so new mac's are out,... 7hr batteries,.... cool,... same screen rez ? rrrr,

now that I'am used to the e-docking,.... boot from ssd in 15ec,... and have 500gb in dvd tray,...

it's hard to make the point,... snow-leopard be 30 buck extra,... other that that,...

if it's going to be smaller,... still want a higher rez screen,... the 14z would smaller, no dvd, single drive ?

no docking,...hmm