GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

One question

When do you guys think we will have a fully workin kext

Please I need the answer today!!!!

if you buy a macbook NOW you'll have your answer TODAY!!! 

c'mon!!

good news everyone!!!

i've used tienneke's kexts from post 199 and i get a blue screen for a couple of minutes then it turns white with a cursor on it AT MY NATIVE RESOLUTION!!!! (1366x768)

i'll try ioreg my machine in single mode and will post it!

saludos.

UPDATE:a

i'm in safe mode :P i'm working at my native res and here is my system profiler info:

Intel GMA X3100:

Modelo de chipset: GMA X3100

Tipo: Pantalla

Bus: Integrado

VRAM (total): 144 MB

Fabricante: Intel (0x8086)

ID del dispositivo: 0x2a42

ID de la revisión: 0x0007

Pantallas:

LP156WH2-TLE1:

Resolución: 1366 x 768

Profundidad: Color de 32 bits

Core Image: Software

Pantalla principal: Sí

Duplicado: Desactivado

En línea: Sí

Quartz Extreme: Incompatible

Integrado: Sí

Conector de pantalla:

Estado: No hay ninguna pantalla conectada

as you can see it shows a x3100 as my gfx card and my video memory as 144mb, no QE/CI yet.

here is my ioregioregoutputsafemode.txt

saludos

Latest info...

The crucial difference for Tienneke, and mindphazer, versus Martin's girlfriends working X3100 MacBook, and Monkey's working X3100 hackbook is the lack of an Intel965 IOService.

The working X3100s, have in their AppleIntelFrameBuffer:

"IOAccelTypes" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/Intel965"

"IOAccelRevision" = 2

"IOAccelIndex" = 0 (in first framebuffer)

"IOAccelIndex" = 1 (in second framebuffer)

We need to get this service registered, somehow. So I need to understand several things:

0. Why is Intel965 not getting loaded? Mindphazer, Tienneke, anyone else: do you see any clues in any of your system logs? If so, please post! My guess is that the AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext is being unloaded (but I am not sure if this runs on a X3100. Does anyone know?) Could someone check using kextstat | grep Frame

All the info about Intel965 is in AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/Info.plist

1. Will the Intel965 drive the 4500 series? (We can't know unless we can get the IOService registered, and see if it works). We may have to spoof the hardware device using DSDT like the work that was done to get ICH10 act like ICH9 for USB.

2. Why did things change between 10.5.6 so that Monkey was able to get his X3100 running without injection, natit or EFI strings? It's possible, as Tienneke suggests, that injection can get the Intel965 registered for the 4500. (Supposedly a strings comparison on the 10.4.8 vs. 10.5.1/10.5.4 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer shows that the 10.5 ones include the AAPL options that natit would traditionally set. These are absent in the 10.4.8 frame buffer) So perhaps there's an AAPL EFI option we need setting. Perhaps chipset-model?

Since the 10.5 frame buffer hardcodes the display settings (AAPL) and device id, there maybe something else that needs to be changed in it.

Since I am hampered not having a 4500, I can only suggest things for others to try. So here are some suggestions:

1. The ioreg output that I last saw from mindphazer still has an incorrect device id in GFX0. It shows up as <B*>. Tienneke had subsequently fixed that, but it didn't make a difference (or did it-- do you remember if your ioreg was different after you edited your plist, Tienneke?).

In any case, we need to be absolutely sure that the device ids are correct, the hex editing is done correctly, and a consistent set of kexts are used before we can proceed. So can someone start with the base kexts for your install, do the edits, and then test? Thanks.

2. If anyone has knowledge of X3100 DSDT changes, or natit, or EFI strings (ascii, please-- I don't speak binary!), that have been used to get the X3100 or X3500 or 3100 working, can you post them in this thread?

I'll be offline for a while.

-u

4500 kexts found on Indonesian board!

I've been trolling around trying to find out more about the 4500, EFI strings, the X3100 etc, when I stumbled upon this link in an Indonesian forum. It purports to be a driver for the 4500, and apparently uses natit.

I took a look at it in pacifist, and it doesn't seem like it's some trojan or virus, but who knows what it is. I did notice that it has some EDID data and I don't know if it will screw up your machine. That said, if someone has interest in giving this a go, here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mgoz4mmnfyl

I don't have a 4500, so can't try this myself. If anyone speaks Indonesian, here's the link to the board:

http://mac-inul.com/viewtopic.php?p=4741

-u

can somebody contact insanelymac administrators, to publish the effort we have on front page so we can have more support from x3100 hackers to achieve a gma 4500 working driver?

that will help a lot if possible.

thanks in advance. :(

Yep, I agree. This is serious stuff!

I've been trolling around trying to find out more about the 4500, EFI strings, the X3100 etc, when I stumbled upon this link in an Indonesian forum. It purports to be a driver for the 4500, and apparently uses natit.

I took a look at it in pacifist, and it doesn't seem like it's some trojan or virus, but who knows what it is. I did notice that it has some EDID data and I don't know if it will screw up your machine. That said, if someone has interest in giving this a go, here's the link:

I don't have a 4500, so can't try this myself. If anyone speaks Indonesian, here's the link to the board:

-u

I had already downloaded, and install this kext.

Doesn't work at all

But at this time, I didn't look into the packages of the kext.... 'Gonna have a look...

Doesn't work at all

But at this time, I didn't look into the packages of the kext.... 'Gonna have a look...

Different EDID data and different AAPL EFI strings seemed to be a common issue when folks were trying to get the X3100 to work.

It's possible that this kext needs to have EFI Strings generated from your machines own EDID data to work. I just wish we knew where this came from (is it new source, or did the poster just rename the X3100 kexts?), what machine, and had some documentation on it. If it worked on one person's machine, then it might be fixable.

I think I am at the end of my trail on the 4500. I don't have a 4500 to work on and I have only questions. So perhaps someone else wants to take the ball now?

I'll try to stay involved and offer ideas (even if they are stupid, like trying to use a 3100 kext for a 4500 (although that still may be feasible)).

I think the diffing of the FreeBSD 3100 and 4500 drivers may answer that question yay or nay.

-u

Doesn't work at all

mindphazer,

Was that package posted before in this thread? Where did you find it? Google?

4500 kexts found on Indonesian board!

-u

the original dev is B@Ldu2

but he doesnt have time to continue the project :(

No source code, sigh. Anyone feel like contacting B@Ldu2? Non parlo italiano. Anyway, if we can get the source, it's possible that we can make it work.

BTW, I don't think this 4500 via 3100 tangent has been useless. Tienneke reports that if he makes the changes I suggested to the kexts (plist and hexedits), and then deletes one of the kexts (forgot which one), then he gets his native resolution.

That's considerably easier than the grub/linux trick and on par with Martin255's Chameleon VESA patch. Tienneke, perhaps you'd like to write up a separate topic with just the essential instructions so that other 4500 uses can get native VESA resolution at least? (Presuming it works outside safe mode).

-u

the original dev is B@Ldu2

but he doesnt have time to continue the project ;)

One more time guy's a guess you only missing the good AAPL injection !

Mindphazer, Tienneke what type of injection do use ? And could you post it here so i can have a look at it please :)

In the same time a DSDT dump from your computers will be useful i guess.

Thx.

Different EDID data and different AAPL EFI strings seemed to be a common issue when folks were trying to get the X3100 to work.

It's possible that this kext needs to have EFI Strings generated from your machines own EDID data to work. I just wish we knew where this came from (is it new source, or did the poster just rename the X3100 kexts?), what machine, and had some documentation on it. If it worked on one person's machine, then it might be fixable.

I think I am at the end of my trail on the 4500. I don't have a 4500 to work on and I have only questions. So perhaps someone else wants to take the ball now?

I'll try to stay involved and offer ideas (even if they are stupid, like trying to use a 3100 kext for a 4500 (although that still may be feasible)).

I think the diffing of the FreeBSD 3100 and 4500 drivers may answer that question yay or nay.

-u

mindphazer,

Was that package posted before in this thread? Where did you find it? Google?

I found that package in the same forum as you did

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0007

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I have run Chameleon 1 installer and i have replaced the boot file with the one from:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gyeqmmxzy2q/vaiop-alpha-1.zip

- this "boot" also work with 10.5.6 and can read /DSDT.aml and /Extra kexts.

(but needs kernel option "Graphics Mode")

INFO HERE: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...;show=&st=0

Although this got me 1280 x 800 has no QE/CI... so i truly hope you guys can find a way.

Best of luck guys! Lets cross our fingers!

EDIT: added my GFX0-ioreg.txt (10.5.7)

GFX0_ioreg.txt

Mindphazer, Tienneke what type of injection do use ? And could you post it here so i can have a look at it please :D

Thx.

I use no injection at the moment (so just the patched kexts), I'll attach a DSDT dump very soon.. Do you need the decompiled version or the dat version?

I'm wondering, do you know how to write an injector for a hardware device? I'm really eager to get this to work..

@coldequation: I'll post a tutorial in the genius bar section :blink: Writing it right now :wacko::)

I use no injection at the moment (so just the patched kexts), I'll attach a DSDT dump very soon.. Do you need the decompiled version or the dat version?

I'm wondering, do you know how to write an injector for a hardware device? I'm really eager to get this to work..

@coldequation: I'll post a tutorial in the genius bar section :blink: Writing it right now :wacko::)

dsl or aml will be fine :D

cheers

Mindphazer, Tienneke what type of injection do use ? And could you post it here so i can have a look at it please :blink:

Thx.

No doubt, but what to inject?

Something like this would be useful:

<key>AAPL,NumFramebuffers</key>

<string>0x00000002</string>

Plus more; I suspect we'll be looking at EDID differences in ioregistryexplorer.

-u

1. The ioreg output that I last saw from mindphazer still has an incorrect device id in GFX0. It shows up as <B*>. Tienneke had subsequently fixed that, but it didn't make a difference (or did it-- do you remember if your ioreg was different after you edited your plist, Tienneke?).

In any case, we need to be absolutely sure that the device ids are correct, the hex editing is done correctly, and a consistent set of kexts are used before we can proceed. So can someone start with the base kexts for your install, do the edits, and then test? Thanks.

I rechecked, and my device ID's seem to be correct ;) If anyone wants to check, please do so! Kext's have been modified and hex edited to load with device ID 0X2A42 and Manurfacturer ID 0X8086.

Also, I think my ioreg has changed after the change (this would be logical, since a module got loaded extra..). But my device is still called OVGA, and not GFX0 as everyone elses device.. Which I find kinda odd..

I also posted a tutorial on how to get to native resolution;

The method described works for me and enzobelmont, but mileage may vary..

You may find it at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173338

I'll update it regularly, as the project advances :P

Here you go ;)

Thanks for the file, but i'm a bit confused :P since your DSDT gives 60 errors when compiling.... Even the original one !

How did you get this DSDT ? OUUUPPS my mistake !!!!

Thx

@ coldequation: yes this string could be one of the important ones, i know that on GMA 950 AAPL,HasPanel is the key.

In addition to the traditional injected stuffs.

Every one who want to test is free to post his dsdt here, or we can try to mode natit with X3100 IOREG value to give it a try.

Cheers

Thanks for the file, but i'm a bit confused :P since your DSDT gives 60 errors when compiling.... Even the original one !

How did you get this DSDT ?

Thx

Funny ;)

I used a script I found on this forum, don't really remember which thread, it's called GetDSDT..

When I compile it with iasl. I just get 24 warnings..

What method would you suggest for getting the dsdt?

Same here, we're in the same time zone ;)

I was just on my way to sleep, I'll try it now, but if it doesn't work directly I'll post here and then go to sleep, and try further tomorrow :P

Yes, it's definetely better! I can boot now, having both kexts in place. My graphics card now appears to be a X4500 in system profiler, and in my logs it appears as GFX0 instead of OVGA --> Big advance for me :D

Attached are my log and ioreg, need more info?

Anyways, I'm going to sleep, see you in 10 hours ;)

And thank you so much for your efforts ;)

Log_and_ioregoutput.zip

Ok looks good so !

But do you have Qe/Ci enabled ?

If you have IORegistry Explorer you could make a save with it, wich is definitely more human readable :(

Good night :)

Edit :

After looking at your IOreg it seems the AppleIntelX3100.kext is not loaded, i've also take a look at the plist of this kext you've posted earlier. I was a bit surprised you did not edited the AppleIntelX3100.kext plist to match your Dev/Ven ID's ? Did you also patch the bin of this kext ? I think it's needed to load the Intel965 Services.