Maybe bought a pirated version of Leopard?

Demonik

21 posts in this topic

I recently bought a leopard dvd from some guy on craigslist. It doesnt look legit to me. It came in a single slip case with no box or anything. it looks very suspicious because it doesnt look like a very professional label. I sent the guy an email and this is what he said after i told him it looked fake.

It's not the torrent version. If it was you will not be able upgrade to 10.5.5. I own 10 licenses. Apple uses SIDs and it was a fake it will block updates. If you cannot upgrade to 10.5.5 I will double your money.

is there any truth to this is this guy just trying to get my money? Here is a picture of it.

IMG_1450.jpg

oh btw it says corp edition under the barcode if that matters.

its a pirated copy of the retail dvd.the guy says you can update because he knows that its possible if you use the stock kernel on a hackintosh.If you use a mac then you can just update no matter if its a pirated version.

thanks for the reply :) any other comments?

It's not retail, Leopard DVDs look like THIS.

Assuming it's a duplicate, it will still work, but it's just not legit. Besides, turn it around and you should be able to tell it's fake because it was probably burnt with a consumer blank DVD. But who cares, you probably paid very little money for it anyway.

It's not retail, Leopard DVDs look like THIS.

Assuming it's a duplicate, it will still work, but it's just not legit. Besides, turn it around and you should be able to tell it's fake because it was probably burnt with a consumer blank DVD. But who cares, you probably paid very little money for it anyway.

I care. If i wanted a pirated version i would have pirated it myself, the point in buying a legit copy of leopard was to make my hackbox semi legit :D .

Now i just gotta get my money back from this {censored}.

I don't know about this one... My GF's pop bought a family pack for 10.4 and she had some funky looking DVD's. Her dad got a bad batch of discs (what are the odds that all 5 wouldnt work), returned them to apple and they gave him DVD

's that looked sorta like that, but more professional. One DVD was a straight copy they did at the Apple store cause it was an Apple DVD but the genius wrote the serial number on it and signed it. Very odd for Apple.

I'm about as astonished that your signature, Foodie Monster, says "2GB 266mhz DDR2 SDRAM"

I am as astonished as you are about that. But what can I say, that's what both System Profiler and WinXP tell me about my RAM. I know for a fact it's DDR2. I know it's 2GB. But it's 266mhz. I don't know if it's just a wrong setting on my Motherboard or that the memory can actually be this slow or what. Games run fine, power apps run fine, so I'm at a loss myself.

I'm astonished that you couldn't tell that was a pirated copy. I mean... really? Dude...

I could tell it was a pirated copy, i just wanted to be 100 percent certain. Also I'm astonished that you'd leave a useless comment like that. Didn't your parents ever teach you if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all?

...the point in buying a legit copy of leopard was to make my hackbox semi legit.

Semi legit? Is that like semi on or semi off?

Using their current business model, the development of OS X is subsidized by Apple hardware. Due to its marketshare, Apple can not recoup development costs and meet its profit margins based solely on retail OS sales. If they were forced to, OS X would cost many times the $129 price tag. That is why their EULA requires it be used only on Apple hardware. So even if you buy a legitimate retail copy of the OS, you are still short changing Apple if you didn't first buy an Apple computer. Whether you steal 100% of the software or just a percentage of it, it's still piracy.

Personally, I would just keep the copy you received, enjoy it, and call it good... until you buy yourself a Mac. :)

ye, return the DVD and get your money back
I don't think the ones who sell CDs like this pretending it isn't pirated have a good return policy. In fact, I doubt they have any policies at all.

And there's no semi-legit thing. C'mon, man couldn't you just do a Google search or something about how the real DVD looks like?

I could tell it was a pirated copy, i just wanted to be 100 percent certain. Also I'm astonished that you'd leave a useless comment like that. Didn't your parents ever teach you if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all?

They did, along with not buying into "too good to be true" deals. Funny how that works, huh?

They did, along with not buying into "too good to be true" deals. Funny how that works, huh?

hahah you got me there.. very true. oh well. might as well install it on my computer before i return it.

Lesson learned.

btw if anyone wants to see what exactly made me fall into this hole just click this link.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/859504639.html the picture fooled me i guess.

hahah you got me there.. very true. oh well. might as well install it on my computer before i return it.

Lesson learned.

btw if anyone wants to see what exactly made me fall into this hole just click this link.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/859504639.html the picture fooled me i guess.

Gotta say, you took that one like a champ. Kudos, mate. Usually that would've continued the feud of flaming, but not this time. I'm proud of you. ;)

Gotta say, you took that one like a champ. Kudos, mate. Usually that would've continued the feud of flaming, but not this time. I'm proud of you. ;)

Thanks. :thumbsup_anim: im not a big fan of flaming, its pointless to me, more so when it isn't necessary.. All I need to make my day is Foodie Monster proud of me. :P Hahah

First time I ever see what seemed to be the beginning of a flame war end like that.

that's pretty mature.

Anyway.. ya.. it doesn't look like the apple mac os x dvd at all.. however, when you buy a computer sometimes the install dvd are weird..

my mom bought a laptop almost a year ago.. at the boxing day.. and they gave her a disc saying it was vista or something.. the disc is a friggen blank dvd with numbers writen on it with a black marker.. it was from futureshop... weird.

First time I ever see what seemed to be the beginning of a flame war end like that.

that's pretty mature.

Anyway.. ya.. it doesn't look like the apple mac os x dvd at all.. however, when you buy a computer sometimes the install dvd are weird..

my mom bought a laptop almost a year ago.. at the boxing day.. and they gave her a disc saying it was vista or something.. the disc is a friggen blank dvd with numbers writen on it with a black marker.. it was from futureshop... weird.

yeah but im sure they didn't advertise it as being the full retail package and give a picture of what it should look like and then give you a completly different thing haha. :)