Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

Tried it on my Emachines M6805 and it looked like it worked but something's still broken. I get my light to stay on on the laptop itself. Plus, the wireless radar icon comes up with no bars. I went into the system profiler and the wireless card is now listed but it shows it as a 3rd party card and that it's not turned on.

I also tried going into the airport config wizard and it asks if it can try to configure the airport card. It then gives me an error in communication.

I did set it always on in the BIOS.

Any ideas? Anything I can look at for diagnostics?

Has anyone seen this: http://gtdriver.binaervarianz.de/index.php

open source driver that seems to have been written in xcode.

Apparently it works with most Prism cards; could anyone compile it for x86?

Ross, make a separate post about that to keep this thread on track, ok? Then I'll do a reply to it. <_ just trying to keep this thread on airport src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(">

when i run the command kextload i get this

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

plz little help so i can get wireless working on my d600!

I just tried to follow this HowTo with the same hardware mentioned... Rebooted, and it WORKED! I also just deleted my windows installation... now that I have wireless on the laptop, I will be using OSX as my primary operating system. Great work!

OK, so here's the latest and greatest. I reinstalled OSX through deadmoo/ubuntu/vmware, and now I no longer have the problem where my wifi light isn't coming on anymore. I followed the steps to a tee and still have a wifi light but still do not have wifi detected.

I ran up OSX in verbose mode and noticed that it was trying to load appleairport3.kext, instead of "....2.kext." My guess is this is the source of the problem. When I tried to remove airport3.kext and rename airport2.kext to airport3.kext, OS X just refused to load any airport drivers whatsoever.

Should I try and patch the airport 3 driver using the same howto? Please let me know....this is all i need for OS X to be my primary os!

EDIT: Okay, having checked the darwin installation CD I noticed that there are in fact, no airport3 drivers anywhere on the CD. Is there a way I can force OS X to try and load the airport2.kext at boot instead of 3?

it's not working for me

i bought a wpc54gs pcmia card for my ibm t42 after reading the success posts here

it showed up as a broadcom chipset when i first plugged in the card and booting osx

used cyrana's airport2 file, followed the instructions on 1st page

rebooted... hangs at login screen

reformatted and start from scratch 3 more times... all same effect

anyone can help me pls...

Im having problems with step 9 of the guide by lagnat. After I enter "sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext" I get this "kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)". i get this either in terminal or a window pops up. anyone know how to solve this. thanks in advance.

I have a Linksys WPC54G V1.2

The card installs perfectly and i can set it up. The only problem is, it doesn't find any wireless networks. I have a Asus WL500G. I did disable all protections from the router to test if i can pick up the signal. Any idea's?

Did you try "Open Internet Connect" by clicking on the wireless icon on the top right hand side of your screen?

I added the info manually for my system, and it works. I got a shiddy belkin 802.11g router.

---

WTG OP!

After attempting to run the same commands on the appleairport3.kext file to import the "missing instructions" from the foo.c file, i succeeded up until I tried to kextload the extension. When I did that I came across an unusual problem: "AppleAirPort3 cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7 architecture i386) of objects files previously loaded (file not loaded)"

I now am tottally boggled. If OS X recognizes the driver is for the PPC architecture only, then why is it trying to load it during boot instead of the AppleAirPort2.kext extension?

I'd like to hear your input guys, even if a solution is a far cry from here. Thanks..

how comes WPA isn't working ?

I got these System.log when trying to connect to a Belkin 54G set to Personal WPA

PM G5 with original Airport Extreme (connects fine):

Aug 29 15:57:29 Powermac kernel[0]: AirPort: Link DOWN (AP deAuth 0)

Aug 29 15:57:30 Powermac kernel[0]: AirPort: Link DOWN (Client disAssoc 0)

Aug 29 15:57:30 Powermac kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Active: "belkin54g" - 0030bd932cb7 - chan 8

Dell Inspiron 8200 with Truemobile 1450

...tiger-x86 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link UP: "belkin54g" - 93bd3000b72c - chan 8

Aug 29 16:12:38 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link DOWN (AP deAuth 15)

with a message telling me my AP won't support this kind of encryption

any ideas ?

Sack

can someone post a valid AppleAirPort2.kext?

when i try to kextload i get "not a valid bundle"

this all should be much easier if we have a working kext without having to gcc the missing functions

update* re DD the image from scratch and i got it working! #@$#@$ awesome!@!!

Im having problems with step 9 of the guide by lagnat. After I enter "sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext" I get this "kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)". i get this either in terminal or a window pops up. anyone know how to solve this. thanks in advance.

OMG! Dude the answer is right under your nose! Sigh...

1. Whats not clear about "Check ownership and permissions"?

2. The answer is all over this forum, can't you read?

3. If you don't understand 1. you should not be here...

Did you try "Open Internet Connect" by clicking on the wireless icon on the top right hand side of your screen?

I added the info manually for my system, and it works. I got a shiddy belkin 802.11g router.

---

WTG OP!

Yeah i tried that. I did fill in my Wireless Networkname "Messiah" and he still doesn't find any network. Maybe i should start from scratch again.

Followed the directions and all worked great!!!!

I just had to use cyrana's command before the directions:

$ sudo gcc_select 4.0

I used Taco Html Edit to edit the foo.c file

And here is my foo.c:

#include <libkern/OSTypes.h>
#include <libkern/OSAtomic.h>
#define NULL 0

void *  OSDequeueAtomic(void ** inList, SInt32 inOffset)
{
        void *  oldListHead;
        void *  newListHead;

do {
                oldListHead = *inList;
                if (oldListHead == NULL) {
                        break;
                }

newListHead = *(void **) (((char *) oldListHead) + inOffset);
        } while (! OSCompareAndSwap((UInt32)oldListHead,
                                        (UInt32)newListHead, (UInt32 *)inList));

return oldListHead;
}

void    OSEnqueueAtomic(void ** inList, void * inNewLink, SInt32 inOffset)
{
        void *  oldListHead;
        void *  newListHead = inNewLink;
        void ** newLinkNextPtr = (void **) (((char *) inNewLink) + inOffset);

do {
                oldListHead = *inList;
                *newLinkNextPtr = oldListHead;
        } while (! OSCompareAndSwap((UInt32)oldListHead, (UInt32)newListHead,
                                       (UInt32 *)inList));
}

Followed the directions and all worked great!!!!

I just had to use cyrana's command before the directions:

$ sudo gcc_select 4.0

I used Taco Html Edit to edit the foo.c file

And here is my foo.c:

#include <libkern/OSTypes.h>
#include <libkern/OSAtomic.h>
#define NULL 0

void *  OSDequeueAtomic(void ** inList, SInt32 inOffset)
{
        void *  oldListHead;
        void *  newListHead;

do {
                oldListHead = *inList;
                if (oldListHead == NULL) {
                        break;
                }

newListHead = *(void **) (((char *) oldListHead) + inOffset);
        } while (! OSCompareAndSwap((UInt32)oldListHead,
                                        (UInt32)newListHead, (UInt32 *)inList));

return oldListHead;
}

void    OSEnqueueAtomic(void ** inList, void * inNewLink, SInt32 inOffset)
{
        void *  oldListHead;
        void *  newListHead = inNewLink;
        void ** newLinkNextPtr = (void **) (((char *) inNewLink) + inOffset);

do {
                oldListHead = *inList;
                *newLinkNextPtr = oldListHead;
        } while (! OSCompareAndSwap((UInt32)oldListHead, (UInt32)newListHead,
                                       (UInt32 *)inList));
}

Thanks, setec. Hope that helps those out who have had a hard time trying to figure out exactly what functions they were supposed to include. ;)

Another wierd thing - I can't "Create Network" in Airport without Airport crashing. The work around was for me to choose "Other" and then manually type in my SSID and WEP. A minor inconvience for having the built in wifi though, but I am just wondering why it would keep crashing.

UPDATE: I had tried to create the network twice, but Airport crashed. So I used Other as I had mentioned above. My system locked up later on because of another issue. I forced the machine off, turned it back on, rebooted into OSX. Well now, Airport shows my network just fine, so it appeared to have at least saved it somewhere with my wep settings, etc.

THE LATEST NEWS!!!!!!

I'm using the PCI Linksys WMP54GS Speedbooster card.....and.....IT WORKS, man I'm surfing the net right now.....damm this is great!!!!

Problems (Yes there are some) At this moment no WEP, WPA encyrption possible.....and I get the following msg when I type

"sudo kextload -t System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

/kernel extension System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/ has problems:

Authentication failures"

Some follow-ups..

Great works guys :):P

My ASUS 802.11g minipci (based on broadcom 4306) is being detected as a "Built-in Ethernet"... is this normal? If not, what's supposed to be detected as? Any ideas?

dmesg | grep Airport
Airport: failed to determine ram-size
Airport: allocated 64 clusters
AirportPCI: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Update:

The card is an ASUS WL-120G, with a chipset BCM4306KFB.