[HOWTO] Boot Macs with Intel Chipset in AHCI Win7 Vista XP Linux

ludacrisvp

423 posts in this topic

ahcienabler_zpse1d5eab4.jpg

This is what i get when i try to run ahci enabler on my mac pro 2,1 running OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Anybody know how to get past this.

It also does the same on OSX 10.8

I assume since i have an older mac pro, that the chipset is supported as others seem to have got it working?

This is what I get on my Mac Pro 1,1 as well. It used to work when I was running 10.7.5 but now I am using Chameleon to run Mavericks since my Mac Pro is "unsupported". Don't know if that is what is causing the issue. 

I currently have a Seagate SSHD with 3 partitions setup as GUID and converted to a hybrid GUID/MBR so that I can have Chameleon/Mavericks/Windows 7 all on one HDD and dual boot. Would love to get AHCI working again in Windows 7 so I can use my Bluray drive in Windows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone?

The only OS that can boot from ports 5/6 is Mac OSX. 

A windows install disc cannot boot from an optical drive on ports 5/6 nor can a windows installed OS on a hard drive or solid state drive boot from ports 5/6. 

This mod enables the ports to be used inside the OS not to boot with. 

ahcienabler_zpse1d5eab4.jpg

This is what i get when i try to run ahci enabler on my mac pro 2,1 running OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Anybody know how to get past this.

It also does the same on OSX 10.8

I assume since i have an older mac pro, that the chipset is supported as others seem to have got it working?

AHCI Enabler stopped working.  It no longer works with Windows 8 or OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

I've tried it several times, and several users have all tried using it on OS X 10.9 Mavericks with Windows 8, and it seems that the AHCI Enabler is broken and hasn't been updated to work with Windows 8 and OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

All we can do is wait for someone to update the AHCI Enabler, and hopefully get it working again.  Yes, I just get the same exact grayed out button that you (and everyone else) seems to be getting with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.

It's broken.  It's been broken for a few months now (ever since Windows 8 and OS X 10.9 Mavericks was released)   :(

I've been trying to get AHCI working in Windows 8 as well, but haven't had any luck.  The AHCI enabler doesn't seem to work anymore.  Also, I'm not sure where to get AHCI drivers for Windows 8 (for the 2008 Apple Mac Pro).

Thanks to you guys for all the work put into this a few years back.  I'm sad to see this topic has quieted down.  Has anyone picked up the reigns and kept AHCI alive?

My System:

Mac Pro 2008

Mavericks 10.9 & Windows 7 64 ultimate

Bay 1: SSD - 1 partition: OS X (10.9)

Bay 2: SSD - 2 partitions: 1-HFS, 2-NTFS (Win7.64) 

The AHCI Enabler app works, however it detects the Windows Version as XP.  No biggie maybe.  I also tried the script (1.0) and modified it to force detect Windows 7.

Both the app and the script are able to modify the MBR.  So far so good.

BUT... The modified MBR prevents Windows from booting.

A disk read error occurred.  Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

I was able to restore the MBR with the backup, and Windows boots (without AHCI).  Why won't the modified MBR work?

It can't be that the modified MBR is incompatible with NTFS as a partition instead of an entire drive, could it?  So many Windows installations are partitions.

Could it be that Mavericks made changes to EFI, GUID, or MBR?

Hookly, I'm in the same exact situation.  The AHCI Enabler doesn't work anymore.

I'm running OS X 10.9 Mavericks, and running Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) and I get the same exact error.  AHCI Enabler is not working under OS X 10.9 Mavericks and doesn't seem to work with Windows 8 Pro.  (Or at least it doesn't work on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8).

I've spent a few days/weeks/months working on it, and can't seem to get it to work.

Yes, I would love to get my SATA Blu-Ray drive working under Windows, but the AHCI Enabler seems to definitely be broken and no longer works.  Or at least it doesn't work on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro.   :(

I have an identical system to yours, and I'm getting the same exact error/problem. 

The modified MBR prevents Windows from booting.

>

> A disk read error occurred.  Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

I get that same exact error/problem with Windows 8.  The modified MBR prevents Windows 8 from booting, and yes I get that same exact "A Disk read error occurred.  Press ctrl-alt-del to restart.  

The AHCI Enabler doesn't seem to work with OS X 10.9 Mavericks or Windows 8.  

I'm not sure how to get it fixed, or if someone can update the AHCH Enabler to get it working again.  I have the exact same system that you have (a 2008 Apple Mac Pro) and it doesn't seem to be working on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro.  

The modified MBR prevents Windows from booting.

I'm having the same exact problem, not exactly sure how to get it working or how to get it fixed.

Could it be that Mavericks made changes to EFI, GUID, or MBR?

Maybe.  I'm not exactly sure what happened or why it no longer works on a 2008 Apple Mac Pro with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and/or Windows 8.

Mavericks must have done something to get it to stop working.  Hopefully this can be fixed fairly soon, and hopefully someone can get the AHCI Enabler working again for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.

I believe John Sock is the author of the AHCI Enabler, hopefully he can post an updated version of it, that works with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8 (and works on the 2008 Apple Mac Pro).

That old beta version from 2010 used to work, but it no longer works anymore with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.  Also does anyone have the AHCI Intel drivers for the 2008 Apple Mac Pro?  I checked Intel's website, and they seemed to have moved things around, and I can't seem to find the AHCI Intel drivers anymore.

Would anyone be willing to create/update the tutorial, and write a new/updated version for using the AHCI Enabler on OS X 10.9 Mavericks with Windows 8 (64-bit)?  [i have a 2008 Apple Mac Pro and would love to help, but I can't seem to get it working myself...]

The only Mac I've ever tested with is a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. 

I've not bothered to entertain the thought of even considering using Windows 8. 

I don't even have windows installed on any of the 5 hard drives I have in the system at this point. 

I have 10.9 installed but its not as stable as I'd like it to be as it doesn't seem to wake from sleep in OSX very well.

If I recall correctly I always had windows on its own drive (not just a separate partition) so you might want to try that.

The boot camp controls from windows will never work.

Sleep in windows will never be reliable.  

• Like 1

I also have an issue. AHCI installation went great, but i can't boot from the 5th or 6th port. I used this guide: http://www.adminsehow.com/2012/10/how-to-enable-ahci-support-for-windows-on-an-imac-macbook-or-etc/

thanks!

I looked at that same exact tutorial, but it doesn't seem to work with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.

I couldn't get it to work.

The first problem seems to be that the windows registry settings have changed in Windows 8.  

Open your Windows registry editor and make sure “Start” Value in the following keys are set to 0.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastor

On Windows 8, if you go into "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" there is no "Msahci" folder.  It doesn't exist.  There is no "Iastor" folder either.  There is only "IastorV" folder, but that's it.  It seems that Microsoft changed the AHCI folder names/locations in Windows 8.  So the old tutorials don't work with Windows 8.

There doesn't seem to be an updated working step-by-step tutorial for getting AHCI running in Windows 8 on a 2008 Mac Pro.  The AHCI Enabler no longer works, and I tried doing everything the manual way (by following that other tutorial) but that tutorial seems to only work with Windows 7, and not Windows 8 (the registry folders for AHCI have changed in Windows 8).

There doesn't seem to be an updated tutorial (or updated/working AHCI Enabler) that works under 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.

Hopefully maybe John Socks can update the AHCI Enabler, and help us get it working again for 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.

The only Mac I've ever tested with is a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. 

I've not bothered to entertain the thought of even considering using Windows 8. 

I don't even have windows installed on any of the 5 hard drives I have in the system at this point. 

I have 10.9 installed but its not as stable as I'd like it to be as it doesn't seem to wake from sleep in OSX very well.

If I recall correctly I always had windows on its own drive (not just a separate partition) so you might want to try that.

The boot camp controls from windows will never work.

Sleep in windows will never be reliable.  

Yes, I have OS X 10.9 Mavericks on a 1TB hard drive.  I have Windows 8 Pro installed on a second 2TB hard drive.  They are on separate hard drives.  I was able to get everything working (years ago) when I was running OS X 10.5 Leopard and Windows Vista.  I also managed to get it working under 10.6 Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

I just can't seem to get it working with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.  Windows 8 seems to have changed the registry file/folder locations (for AHCI) and the AHCI Enabler hasn't been updated since 2010 and doesn't seem to work properly with OS X 10.9 Mavericks (and//or Windows 8).

• 2 weeks later...

So I got this working on a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with Mavericks and Windows 7.

Forgive me if this is elementary, but I realized that with a partitioned drive (Mac / Windows) the drive was using GPT not MBR.  The patch would not work on a "fake" MBR inside a GPT drive which is the way bootcamp does things.  I dedicated an entire drive to Windows, formatted it with a real MBR (disk utility).  Installed Windows 7.  Then used the tutorial and/or the script in Mavericks.  This worked.

My SSD speed in Windows improved a lot.  And Windows sees all 6 SATA ports.

The AHCI drivers are confusing and hidden, and most versions didn't work.  I think I had to use version 8.9 of the Matrix drivers and nothing newer, not the Rapid whatever drivers.

Good Luck!

• 5 weeks later...

NVIDIA MCP79 SATA access mode:

setpci -d 10de:0ab5 9c.b=06

tested on 17" MBP 5,2 (mid 2009), works with linux

before:

00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)

after:

00:0b.0 SATA controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)

After comparing PCI registers from OSX and linux, there were only ~20 noteworthy differences. binary search took 10 mins. We don't need Nvidia documentation to discover these registers.

If windoze requires some driver magic to make this work, that part is up to you.

edit: note that the "setpci" command is only available in grub2, so you can add this command to your grub configuration after installing grub-1.99 or newer.

hello, my macbook is 7,1 and it has mcp89 chipset

i have managed to find out the setpci code to be

setpci -d 10de:0d85 fb.b=80

but i'm not sure what should be the next step since it shouldn't make sense to install an Intel RST driver over the nvidia chipset

I'd assume you'd install whatever the equivalent is of the nforce drivers from years ago are now. The nVidia Mac chips for sata drives wasn't something that I or johnsock ever got into as this was about the Mac Pro tower and it just happened to accidentally work on the laptops as well.

Does it mean that I just install the latest version of bootcamp, and with the registry key modded and the ahci enabled (whatever way, by the setpci + grub-boot-ing-to-win-7 or the mbr patching), the ahci driver (or chipset driver whatever) will be activated?

Maybe I'm beginning to get lost, but it seems to me that since someone point out the way to fix macs with mcp79, and that I've succeeded on following this way (binary-search out the appriopriate code for the setpci code for AHCI), I would succeed in activating the AHCI of my mcp89 macbook 7,1 (mid 2010) at the end?

I'm dying to talk to mrlinux and ask him had he succeeded or not

HI All,

I've read the whole of this subject before posting.  So.... the question.

I have the following Mac:

Mac Pro3,1 2.8GHz

Chipset: Intel ESB2 AHCI

When I attempt to enable AHCI with the ACHI Enabler BETA, the following message appears "Unable To Locate Code Block". I've selected the correct disc, as it shows the name a gave it "Windows 7 Pro x64" and it's an NTFS formatted partition.

Any idea what the issue is.  Is this chipset not yet supported in the ACHI Enabler?

Not sure what happened there.  Tried a different type of MBR fix from another website.  Completely broke my SSD.  Thankfully, using Windows 7 Repair option I fixed the MBR record.  Rebooted and Windows started fine.  Tried "AHCI Enabler BETA" again and bingo, it worked - why I don't know.  And boy, is my SSD even faster than it was before.  Awesome!

Original HDD scores:

Sequential Read (MB/s): 45

Sequential Write (MB/s): 39

Random Read (IOPS): 155

Random Write (IOPS): 219

Previous SSD scores:

Sequential Read (MB/s): 352

Sequential Write (MB/s): 246

Random Read (IOPS): 9354

Random Write (IOPS): 46985

New SSD scores (AHCI enabled)

Sequential Read (MB/s): 403

Sequential Write (MB/s): 587

Random Read (IOPS): 37533

Random Write (IOPS): 38803

And my SATA interface is only 3Gb/s 

All I did was just setting the msahci and iastorV registry keys to zero, reboot using "super grub2" disc, type the following commands in grub2 CLI:

setpci -d 10de:0d85 fb.b=80

set root=(hd0,4)

chainloader +1

boot

All I got was a BSOD ("STOP" error 0x7b) (instead of windows installing an ahci driver)

I searched on the web and I found in a Microsoft support page saying that if it was 0x7b and win 7, it was related to issues of enabling ahci, so I think the setpci code should be right for my mcp89 chip

(I've also tried others:

fb.b=8: nothing happened, just a normal startup to win 7 desktop

fb.b=88: can't boot at all - just a "A disc error occurred - press CTRL-ALT-DEL" in the text console

so I think fb.b=80 should have clicked something right)

I've also tried, after the regedit and before the grub reboot, the driver force-install of the MS compatibility standard ahci driver, or the built-in nvidia nforce SATA controller driver, installing over the "IDE dual-channel controller device" (whatever), still the same BSOD

(btw, my tries are based on the blog article of dark fader http://darkfader.blogspot.hk/2010/04/windows-on-intel-mac-and-ahci-mode.html, so I am not using the mbr patching approach, nor did I installed grub2 to my harddisk, I just type the chainloader +1 boot command to launch win 7 after setpci-enabling ahci)

It will {censored} me off if only mcp79 works but not 89 - but what have I missed out?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got Euclid1's patchcode.bin for the Sandy Bridge MBP models? I've lost mine somehow somewhere and the rapidshare link provides no file, just a sign in.

Of all the AHCI mods I've done it had to be mine I've come unstuck with :D

Thanks in advance!

I've been unable to locate it anywhere. I even made a rapid share account to see if I had to be signed in to download it but no dice.

Seems someone will need to upload it again or recreate the efforts of:

setpci -d 8086:1c01 90.b=60

setpci -d 8086:1c03 24.l=8fa00000

In the mbr or look at using grub again.

The ABAR address needs to be set as well. The trick was to find a correct address. The setpci commands are as following:

setpci -d 8086:1c01 90.b=60

setpci -d 8086:1c03 24.l=8fa00000

This is basically what the MBR patch does. I moved the code to a different place than the original patch. The original patch had the code running multiple times. This was most likely not desired. Now the code runs right after the A20 initialization and before the TPM init.

;------- A20 init ---------

seg000:00E2 loc_E2:							   ; CODE XREF: seg000:00C9j
seg000:00E2				 jmp	 loc_163
seg000:00E5; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
seg000:00E5

; ------- TPM init---------
; ....

; and this is contoller setup

seg000:0163 loc_163:							  ; CODE XREF: seg000:loc_E2j
seg000:0163				 mov	 eax, 8000FA90h
seg000:0169				 mov	 dx, 0CF8h
seg000:016C				 out	 dx, eax
seg000:016E				 mov	 ax, 60h; '`'
seg000:0171				 mov	 dx, 0CFCh
seg000:0174				 out	 dx, ax
seg000:0175				 mov	 eax, 8000FA24h