nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

Well that sucks...I'll try the voodoo_beta2 with a USB WiFi...I normally get kernel panics after an hour of internet usage through LAN, PCI and USB WiFi...So hopefully the voodoo_beta2 will fix this :)

I tried voodoo_beta2 + latest nForceLAN kexts with my onboard lan but still got freezes without cpus=1......so still under investigation.......

Although I haven't seemed to have problems with basic internet usage, my network is still being dropped whenever I try and copy items over my network. Here are some things from my system.log that appear to occur around the time of the network disconnect.

com.apple.launchd[115] (0x10a390.Locum[249]): Exited: Terminated
com.apple.launchd[115] (com.apple.netauth.useragent[227]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 233 PPID 1 check_afp
kernel[0]: nForceLAN: NIC ring full, stalling.

Ok guys....I'm using the 9.4.0 Stage XNU kernel provided with iDeneb 10.5.5 v.1.3.

I also thought that the freezing was due to the networking drivers...but I was wrong: I checked my error logs via Console and found the origin of the problem is the power-off fix.

I've removed it from /sbin...let's hope this won't add instability to instability.

Yet this means that I have to re-test the 0.62.0n NForceLan driver.

[For the time being I was using the nForceEthernet driver with modded PCI match....it doesn't return the vendor nor the device id but it's working...I'm connected...]

Although I haven't seemed to have problems with basic internet usage, my network is still being dropped whenever I try and copy items over my network. Here are some things from my system.log that appear to occur around the time of the network disconnect.

com.apple.launchd[115] (0x10a390.Locum[249]): Exited: Terminated
com.apple.launchd[115] (com.apple.netauth.useragent[227]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 233 PPID 1 check_afp
kernel[0]: nForceLAN: NIC ring full, stalling.

Interesting. I will stress test the driver and see if I can reproduce the problem. In the mean time can you try 0.62.1n and set a higher TXRingSize in the Info.plist. I would recommend using either 2048 or 4096 but you can go all the way up to 16384.

Interesting. I will stress test the driver and see if I can reproduce the problem. In the mean time can you try 0.62.1n and set a higher TXRingSize in the Info.plist. I would recommend using either 2048 or 4096 but you can go all the way up to 16384.

I have been testing a few things out. Even with 0.61.5 and 0.62.0, I wasn't able to reproduce the "kernel[0]: nForceLAN: NIC ring full, stalling." I thought it was happening every time my network dropped, but that one time was the only time I have seen it.

In any case, I am still getting my network dropped. I changed the TXRingSize and am still experiencing the same thing.

Basically, this is what happens. When I connect to another computer (in this case, my Mac Mini) and transfer files from the Mini to the Hackintosh, the transfers go just fine (albeit a little slow for gigabit at 9-10MB/s). It's whenever I try and transfer items from the Hackintosh to the Mini that the network fails. Sometimes I'll get 1-2MB transfered before the drop, and sometimes nothing more than the initial file creation. A simple "ifconfig en0 down" and "ifconfig en0 up" brings everything back to normal (so at least I am not having to do a reboot).

v62.1n actually works. I couldn't get forcedeth or forcedeth-V to sucessfully bring up the device without choking on the PHY (0x5040:0x0003). I tried it with the XNU Voodoo kernel beta 2 and the Leo4allv4.1 kernel and this one seems to hold ok on both. This is on an HP m7560n which uses Asus' A8M2N-LA rebranded to NodusM-GL8E. The network device id is 0x0269 (and vendor 0x10de obviouslly). Thanks eno!

Good news everybody!

The nvenet.kext that comes with the new Macbook Pro works with the MCP55. It gets the mac address backward but that isn't much of an issue. I only had to add my device id to the plist and remove the PCIClass match. I will see what I can do to post the driver for others to try.

If there are any interesting messages being printed to /var/log/system.log please send them to me.

Which kernel are you using? I find that nForce boards work best with the Voodoo XNU kernel.

I was using the Stage XNU kernel, I have since upgraded to Voodo Beta 2 and your 62.1n Kext and I am still having the same issues. I looked in my system.log and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with your driver, no errors or warnings. It doesn't just prevent DHCP from working, if I set a static IP it still doesn't allow any communication even though it accepts the setting fine.

I am also getting some weird blue screen hangs when navigating system preferences or sometimes clicking the apple. I am not sure whether it has anything to do with your driver as there are no errors in my system log. It hangs for like 3-15 seconds on a blank blue screen, and then returns to normal.

Thanks.

Dustin

! THIS WORKS ULTIMATELY !

:)

I have an Nforce 430 chipset and this driver rocks da bomb. I used Kext installer, chose the driver and ...... BAM: After a restart; suddenly I had internet.

Thank you very much for all this work in compiling this kext. Very nice.

I was using the Stage XNU kernel, I have since upgraded to Voodo Beta 2 and your 62.1n Kext and I am still having the same issues. I looked in my system.log and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with your driver, no errors or warnings. It doesn't just prevent DHCP from working, if I set a static IP it still doesn't allow any communication even though it accepts the setting fine.

I am also getting some weird blue screen hangs when navigating system preferences or sometimes clicking the apple. I am not sure whether it has anything to do with your driver as there are no errors in my system log. It hangs for like 3-15 seconds on a blank blue screen, and then returns to normal.

Thanks.

Dustin

To debug 0.62.1n you should enable more verbose logging by setting LogLevel to 1 or 2 in the Info.plist.

Not sure why your network is not working. It looks like your card is having no problems sending packets.

Yeah, I think I figured it out. I am fairly sure it's a hardware issue as I have the exact same problem using a Ubuntu 8.04 LiveCD. So I went out and bought a Apple USB Ethernet dongle. Stupid motherboard lan. Thanks for your help though.

Dustin

Hello, i have problem that MenuMeter dont show traffic information. I email to author of Menumetter and he said:

MenuMeters uses standard kernel interfaces for network data. Your

"hackintosh" apparently doesn't report the data correctly. This is probably

an indication that the network driver you're using isn't properly supporting

kernel requests for the data.

Can you fix this bug? thx

Hello, i have problem that MenuMeter dont show traffic information. I email to author of Menumetter and he said:

Can you fix this bug? thx

I will look into what needs to be implemented to support MenuMeter.

Cuz i using Vitesse 8201. i have made scr, u can see that Menumeter (and iStat menus too) didnt show traffic, but widget iStat network show traffic correctly. And some text from faq of Menumeter.

Some third-party Ethernet/Wireless hardware drivers apparently do not report link speed. For these the Net Meter will assume a 10Mbps link. Since all Apple hardware/drivers I have tested with support the link speed value I'm assuming this is a bug in the affected drivers.

FFpA6H6xUS.png

Cuz i using Vitesse 8201. i have made scr, u can see that Menumeter (and iStat menus too) didnt show traffic, but widget iStat network show traffic correctly. And some text from faq of Menumeter.

FFpA6H6xUS.png

I am tracking down a bug where the link speed is not always reported properly to the OS. When I post the updated driver can you check if it fixes your problem?

Hey guys, just wanted to chime and give a big thank you- XFX 680i LT SLI, Q6600 running stock speeds and onboard LAN, running iDeneb 10.5.5, the LAN works great. I used OSX86Tools to load the .kext, deleted the old forcedeth, unplugged the computer and ethernet completely for two minutes, and wala, works excellent on reboot. 14MB down, 2MB up. I haven't stress tested yet, but so far so good.