nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

I have no idea how and why it is like this, but it was the same issue with a different lan driver ;)

glad is works ;)

Somebody in the forum has explained the problem. I hope the author can resolve this problem, :D, I'm appreciate your hard work.

HI! You're correct, the problem is (2). The original forcedeth (Linux, not the Mac OS X port) has some code to reset the phy that is absent in the OSX port. With Windows XP there is exactly the same problem as yours (Boot XP -> reset & boot Mac OS X -> NIC doesn't work). It seems that the Windows driver leaves the NIC in a state which is non operative.

As I already explained to you, the forcedeth port to Mac OS X doesn't reset the phy as in Linux. The only thing that is going to fix this problem is to add the code that is lacking in the OS X port (another solution is to shutdown the computer completely for 15 seconds or load Ubuntu than reboot and load OS X).

Guest cavallo
Somebody in the forum has explained the problem. I hope the author can resolve this problem, :thumbsup_anim: , I'm appreciate your hard work.

HI! You're correct, the problem is (2). The original forcedeth (Linux, not the Mac OS X port) has some code to reset the phy that is absent in the OSX port. With Windows XP there is exactly the same problem as yours (Boot XP -> reset & boot Mac OS X -> NIC doesn't work). It seems that the Windows driver leaves the NIC in a state which is non operative.

As I already explained to you, the forcedeth port to Mac OS X doesn't reset the phy as in Linux. The only thing that is going to fix this problem is to add the code that is lacking in the OS X port (another solution is to shutdown the computer completely for 15 seconds or load Ubuntu than reboot and load OS X).

I have tried all forcedeth possible, all possible alternatives none works i am sorry.

Finally on 10.5.5 i am obliged to let on board lan enabled in bios to have FCP studio working, without connecting any cable, what an Unforce system.

The only problem this lan driver causes is that my mouse cursor gets twitchy after the computer has been on for a while, this is the only reason why I don't use the driver. When I'm using usb Ethernet, I don't have this problem. Does anyone else notice this too?

The only problem this lan driver causes is that my mouse cursor gets twitchy after the computer has been on for a while, this is the only reason why I don't use the driver. When I'm using usb Ethernet, I don't have this problem. Does anyone else notice this too?

I saw this sort of behavior sporatically until I set the memory timings to 5-5-5-12. My guess is that the twitchy behavior is related to a general instability with using the nForce platform under osx86 that is exacerbated by the nic. I am using a 590i SLi AM2 motherboard.

I saw this sort of behavior sporatically until I set the memory timings to 5-5-5-12. My guess is that the twitchy behavior is related to a general instability with using the nForce platform under osx86 that is exacerbated by the nic. I am using a 590i SLi AM2 motherboard.

How do I set the timings or could you send me the kext with edited timings Please? so I can put my usb ethernet to rest! :)

How do I set the timings or could you send me the kext with edited timings Please? so I can put my usb ethernet to rest! :)

Memory timings adjustments (and other overclocking settings) are generally done in the BIOS. Since these settings are different for every motherboard your best bet is to do a google search.

Somebody in the forum has explained the problem. I hope the author can resolve this problem, :) , I'm appreciate your hard work.

eno's latest version solves this problem very well, Thank you very much!

This seems to work but is wildly unstable normally crashing my system before i can load Safari. I have an GA-N650sli board im going to to try the cpu=1 and optimisation options.

The specs of this board are below:

NVIDIA® nForce 650i SLI (Northbridge: C55, Southbridge: MCP51)

Onboard Marvell 88E1116 phy (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Onboard Realtek ALC888 chip

Onboard T.I. TSB43AB23 1394 chip

Cheers

DJ

There is a possibility that starting tuesday we will see the MCP79 on all of apple's laptops. At that point the nForce LAN may get official support! Lets hope this is true since we will hopefully get stable drivers that could work with other nForce chipsets.

Speed on my A8N-E mobo is very low, I'm connected to a gigabit switch with a cable that works perfectly under windows and linux. I get transfer speeds of 100 Mbps max (so only fast ethernet speed..).. That's not really my biggest issue

Somehow rendezvous/bonjour doesn't seem to work.. not with the original forcedeth, not with this kext.. Anybody got bonjour working correctly (eg. airport disks showing up, other pc's itunes libraries showing up in itunes,...)

Speed on my A8N-E mobo is very low, I'm connected to a gigabit switch with a cable that works perfectly under windows and linux. I get transfer speeds of 100 Mbps max (so only fast ethernet speed..).. That's not really my biggest issue

Somehow rendezvous/bonjour doesn't seem to work.. not with the original forcedeth, not with this kext.. Anybody got bonjour working correctly (eg. airport disks showing up, other pc's itunes libraries showing up in itunes,...)

My time machine and bonjour printer both work so I don't know why you are having problems.

Just wanted to let you know that I have been running with your kext for the past few days with no hangs/freezes/issues. See my rig in my sig.

The only thing I have seen I believe is dealing with my jacked up network. Although external access is fast (rather, as expected), my gigabit access to other machines through my switch is extremely slow. Also, it is not seeing other 10.5.5 machines (and vice versa. i.e. my mac mini) for file sharing/screen sharing purposes. I have to connect manually for smb/afp sharing, and once I do, it is slow. Like I said, I believe it is related to my botched network I have (in temporary residence right now), unless others confirm similar issues. I'll look at this on my end, and report back.

Keep it up eno!!!!

Hi Eno,

I just tried your 0.61.5alpha_osx nforce LAN driver.

It only works (and works really well) when I'm using the cpus=1 flag. Without the flag, my system just freezes completely at random times. The system itself doesn't freeze but my keyboard and mouse (both USB) become non-responsive. Tried to hook up my usb dongle and mac doesn't recognize (it usually does).

I had a video still playing while my keyboard and mouse froze so I know that the system doesn't completely freeze. Just the USB ports seem to be affected, haven't tried the Firewire ports.

My board is an nForce 680i with a pci id of 0x037310de (which is included in your driver).

Nevertheless, good job on the driver as it seems to work for a lot of people :)

There is a multicast problem in 0.61.4alplha_osx as it turns out. The multicast list gets wiped out by each call to setPromiscuous or setMulticast. The problem is fixed in 0.61.5alpha.

Sweet! Solved my problem. Wasn't having it in 10.5.2 (as far as I can remember). Was troubleshooting all day, saw your updated post. THANKS!!!

Fantastic Job, eno!!! Works perfectly on my Asus P5N-E SLi 88E1116

This post to be sticky!!!

Hey guy, the plist to p5n-e sli is already add? if isn't, what is the plist? how you did to the nic work ?

There is a possibility that starting tuesday we will see the MCP79 on all of apple's laptops. At that point the nForce LAN may get official support! Lets hope this is true since we will hopefully get stable drivers that could work with other nForce chipsets.

It's official. The new MacBooks and MBP's have the NVIDIA 9400M chipset (MCP79). How long till we see some benefit from this do you think? Should this also help with the problem we have with our nForce boards and nVidia GFX card device id's getting confused?

It's official. The new MacBooks and MBP's have the NVIDIA 9400M chipset (MCP79). How long till we see some benefit from this do you think? Should this also help with the problem we have with our nForce boards and nVidia GFX card device id's getting confused?

My new Macbook Pro is prepared for shipment so I should have it by the end of the week. I will let you know if any of the extensions help with older MCP chipsets but we might have to wait until the 10.5.6 kernel is modified to run on AMD before we see any benefit.

My new Macbook Pro is prepared for shipment so I should have it by the end of the week. I will let you know if any of the extensions help with older MCP chipsets but we might have to wait until the 10.5.6 kernel is modified to run on AMD before we see any benefit.

Very good work eno!!

I am sure all nForce MOBO owners wishing to use their onboard LAN are watching this thread with much interest......many already have working onboard LAN thanks to you.....so I have pointed to this thread in my nForce Series 7 chipset thread..... :)

Hi Eno,

I just tried your 0.61.5alpha_osx nforce LAN driver.

It only works (and works really well) when I'm using the cpus=1 flag. Without the flag, my system just freezes completely at random times. The system itself doesn't freeze but my keyboard and mouse (both USB) become non-responsive. Tried to hook up my usb dongle and mac doesn't recognize (it usually does).

I had a video still playing while my keyboard and mouse froze so I know that the system doesn't completely freeze. Just the USB ports seem to be affected, haven't tried the Firewire ports.

My board is an nForce 680i with a pci id of 0x037310de (which is included in your driver).

Nevertheless, good job on the driver as it seems to work for a lot of people :)

Very interesting. Could everyone who is having mouse issues post the device id of their nic? It might help me nail down where the problem is. I had issues with my mouse getting jumpy with my 0x037310de until i overclocked my hackintosh's memory.

Very interesting. Could everyone who is having mouse issues post the device id of their nic? It might help me nail down where the problem is. I had issues with my mouse getting jumpy with my 0x037310de until i overclocked my hackintosh's memory.

I too get frequent random mouse/cursor freezing problems on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (650i) MOBO when running all 4 Q6600 cores...... it can be when the desktop appears, or a minute or few minutes later......I am now booting with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 so that I do not get any freezes......my onboard LAN device ID details are "Bridge [0680]; nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet [10de:0373] (rev a2)"........my LAN related dmesg output is

troller device 10de:0373 with flags 0x000935ff

nForceLAN: Starting.

nForceLAN: found power management capability at 68

nForceLAN: Version 0.61.5alpha_osx initializing

nForceLAN: setting optimization mode: cpu

nForceLAN: Probing.

nForceLAN: found nVidia MCP55 Ethernet Controller device 10de:0373 with flags 0x000935ff

nForceLAN: Starting.

nForceLAN: found power management capability at 68

nForceLAN: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0373, subsystem 0x1043:0xCB84 revision 0xA2 opened.

nForceLAN: Mapped from 0xEFFFA000 of length 4096.

nForceLAN: Found nForce LAN with MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.

nForceLAN: Taking PHY and NIC out of low power mode

nForceLAN: Found PHY 0x5040:0x0003 at address 19.

nForceLAN: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0373, subsystem 0x1043:0xCB84 revision 0xA2 opened.

nForceLAN: Mapped from 0xEFFF7000 of length 4096.

nForceLAN: Found nForce LAN with MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.

nForceLAN: Taking PHY and NIC out of low power mode

nForceLAN: Found PHY 0x5040:0x0003 at address 1.

nForceLAN: registerWithPolicyMaker: entering ...

nForceLAN: setPowerState: old state: 1, new state: 1

nForceLAN: registerWithPolicyMaker: entering ...

nForceLAN: setPowerState: old state: 1, new state: 1

nForceLAN: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

nForceLAN: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx [i have a PCI RTL8169 NIC]

nForceLAN: setBufSize/Apple wants 1500 bytes

nForceLAN: setBufSize/We can give them 1500 bytes

nForceLAN: setBufSize/Setting with regards to kIOEthernetMaxPacketSize(1518) -- 1582 bytes

nForceLAN: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

nForceLAN: Starting transmit/receive engines

nForceLAN: Network link down.

nForceLAN: setMode (true, false)

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 0 items

nForceLAN: setMode (false, false)

nForceLAN: setBufSize/Apple wants 1500 bytes

nForceLAN: setBufSize/We can give them 1500 bytes

nForceLAN: setBufSize/Setting with regards to kIOEthernetMaxPacketSize(1518) -- 1582 bytes

nForceLAN: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

nForceLAN: Starting transmit/receive engines

nForceLAN: Link speed now 1000Mbps(full-duplex = 1), code 0x10032.

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 0 items

nForceLAN: setMode (false, false)

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 1 items

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 2 items

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 3 items

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 4 items

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 5 items

nForceLAN: setting multicast list with 6 items

UPDATE:

Have tried Voodoo 9.5.0 BETA 2 kernel......still experiencing mouse/cursor freeze problems unless using cpus=1......

This seems to work but is wildly unstable normally crashing my system before i can load Safari. I have an GA-N650sli board im going to to try the cpu=1 and optimisation options.

The specs of this board are below:

NVIDIA® nForce 650i SLI (Northbridge: C55, Southbridge: MCP51)

Onboard Marvell 88E1116 phy (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Onboard Realtek ALC888 chip

Onboard T.I. TSB43AB23 1394 chip

Cheers

DJ

Same here (gigabyte ds4 n650i) and same problem, cpus=1 solve the problem like beforce with forcedeath and not for optimisation option.