SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

This is an update on earlier:

I reburned my Install DVD and boot with the "bare-minimum" iso of munky. I follow correct procedure when booting and boot like this:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v -f rd=disk2s3

I know both the rd and boot-uuid values.

Cant figure out how to put pictures, so this is the link:

Final Screen Photo

hi,

i have tried installing leopard from its retail dvd using boot 132 but in the installation after i have selected the language it says that it can't be installed in this computer. my pc can run sse2 sse3 but still getting stuck....

please help me with this...

Thank You

Is your harddisk partitioned in GUID or MBR?

Retail OsX can only be installed on GUID partitions without modifying the disc.

/O

Sorry but this guide just does´nt work. I´ve been trying out every tips in this guide with no luck on my old rig with a P4 3 Ghz sitting on a P4 P800SE mobo socket 478. It runs OK on Kalys 10.5.1 with the TOH kernel so it can run osx86 for sure no doubt about it but there´s no way in hell it can run retail Leo using this guide. I´m moving on guys this is just a waist of time.

For newer mobos and cpus seems it would be better if you download yourselves a working Kaly Leo and install it on a spare HD, then download the 123 boot disk and burn it to a CD. Then Install Retail Leo to a NEW HD using 123 method all the way through. Then shut down and boot up your Kaly HD again with your NEW HD set as Secondary HD. With your Kaly up running jump over to LTLs guide here and download the 10.5.6 combo update and install it to your NEW HD following his guide. Good luck

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but, since I run on a 3.0Ghz P4 system which was installed from a retail install DVD using this method, I disagree. It can, and does work on some older pre-Core systems. Although, you do need to do everything correctly.

Sorry you have had so much trouble.

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but, since I run on a 3.0Ghz P4 system which was installed from a retail install DVD using this method, I disagree. It can, and does work on some older pre-Core systems. Although, you do need to do everything correctly.

Sorry you have had so much trouble.

No worries I´m glad it works ok for you.

It probably does but the keyword is on some 3 Ghz systems, far from all. What I mean is it´s easier and less timeconsuming to install the usuall 123 way and do the update using LTLs method if your gear can run Retail at all. If it can´t it´s much easier to run Kalys Leo 10.5.1 and if you need download a working/suitable TOH kernel for your gear then replace it and your good to go. For sure you would need another working hack/install for that but it would save you lots of time. If you look at all these guides here no matter what it´s about it´s not so unusual already in the first few replys people are starting to get problems. So we waist hours and hours trying to figure out what we do wrong when it´s probably just our hardware that does´nt cut in the first place.

I have two of these older Asus P4 P800SE mobos both with P4 3Ghz cpus both with IDE HDs and I´m pretty sure I actually have had Retail Leo up running on one of them at some point but using a Sata2 HD for that. It can be there´s some difference betwen my P4 3ghz cpus though but I will not take the time to swap them betwen the mobos just to figure it out. What I´m talking about is that the smallest little thing that differs from what gear the guide creator has might make it not work. And we might even actually not discover that there is a difference wich in my case turned out I spend about a week trying to figure out what the heck I did wrong following the guide here to the letter.

It´s the same with the Efistudio app, people say it´s good for the pcie 7300gs 512 mb videocards I have in my quadcore hack but it doesnt work at all. I´ve tried it twice and even posted that it does´nt work and that I have a Nvinject.kext that does work giving you QE etc etc (I also have quad displays working, got two of these vid cards in this hack). This kext works for a couple of more cards and I have it uploaded here if you search for my threads. Well the 7300gs 512 mb is still listed in the Efistudio so.... wonder how many has turned grey hair trying to figure what they do wrong when the fact is it does´nt work ok for all brands of the 7300gs probably just a few.

so, finally grabbed a few mins to try some more stuff on my own setup. my wifi card needs the 10.4.5 IONetworkingFamily and IO80211Family kexts to work as Airport. I'd tried a few things to get them to work from the ramdisk and tonight I succeeded.

anyway, I put them both in the ramdisk image, and set all the 'OSBundleRequired' to Network-Root and overrode ALL of the CFBundleVersion and CFBundleShortVersionString settings (in both the main kext Info.plist and in each plugin. anyway, upshot is it seems to be working. however, it reminded me that i also needed to tweak a setting in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist to set the wifi to be interface 1 when there's no wired ethernet.

so i have two choices: 1) make the patch (its minimal - changing a 0 to a 1), or 2) enable wired ethernet so i can continue modification-free.

i prefer 2.... :thumbsup_anim:

vbetts: nickhe already stated that the machine was underclocked. he knows my 'crappy' statement was made in jest. but, yknow, thanks for your tuppenceworth there....

could the boot 132 method work on retail tiger ? i wanted to use tiger retail on older rig

yes, the voodoo kernel is the new name for StageXNU. its an extremely good kernel, with a brand new (and very full-featured) SSE3 emulator.

wilcok: try voodoo kernel :)

is possible to boot retail tiger dvd ?

*** SSE2 & SSE3 Intel owners, you CAN boot the retail Leopard DVD! ***

Latest News: I posted a guide on how to install patches/kernels to the hidden EFI partition: here

(Older posts on this subject, leading up to me actually getting it to work are archived here)

As we all know, dfe's excellent modified Boot-132 bootloader allows us to place extra kernel extensions on a ramdisk, which can be used to boot the retail Leopard DVD on Core architecture PCs. An amazing milestone in OSx86 history, as i'm sure we all agree.

But what exactly is required to run the retail Leopard DVD and the so-called vanilla (ie Apple-supplied) kernel? Why can't my Pentium D run it?

It turns out the kernel performs an explicit check for the CPU 'family'. Only processors in 'Family 6' (or P6 processors) are permitted to boot. Pentium 4 and its derivatives (including Celeron D and Pentium D) are in Family 7 (P7).

There are a whole bunch of intel CPUs in the P6 family, but only Core Solo and above have SSE3, thus effectively limiting the kernel to Core processors.

64-bit operation adds another level of complexity - the only implementation of a certain routine in the kernel code (bcopy) in 64-bit mode uses SSSE3 (Supplemental SSE3), which - again - only Core and better CPUs have.

The upshot is that my machine *requires* a patched kernel to boot. The changes needed are fairly minimal, but as it stands my machine cannot run the kernel which is on the retail Leopard DVD.

Thus my thoughts turned to another approach - can I specify the 'extra' kernel extensions *and* a kernel, and have the machine boot from the DVD? I emailed dfe to ask if this is something he could add support for, only to discover it was already possible:

This led me to perform a whole bunch of experiments to try to get my Pentium D to boot the retail DVD. See here for the blow-by-blow account of me getting this to work :D

Ok munky, get to the damn point. Where's the beef?

Heh.. ok, well here's what i've managed so far:

- Booted the retail DVD from a modified boot-132 CD.

- Installed successfully to a fresh partition on a GPT disk.

- Booted the installed partition and completed setup, again by booting from the boot-132 CD.

To boot, you need to place a suitable patched kernel in the root of the ramdisk image (initrd.img), and at boot time, after typing in the two-digit code to boot the Leopard DVD (or your hard disk partition), you boot thus:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy boot-uuid=<uuid of boot device>

OR

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy rd=diskXsY

So, to break that down:

rd(0,1) refers to the ramdisk, so rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched is how we're specifying the kernel to boot.

-legacy is needed if the kernel cannot operate in 64-bit mode. the kernel i have been testing with is an experimental pre-release kernel and still has SSSE3 routines in the 64-bit code, so I have to force 32-bit operation.

boot-uuid=<uuid> or rd=diskXsY - this is the real trick. specifying a kernel on a different device causes the boot sequence to switch the 'root' device to the device which holds the kernel. trying to boot without specifying the uuid or root device (rd) will cause mach to try to boot from the ramdisk itself. this is obviously not what we want. so you need to specify the uuid or the correct bsd address of the device you want to boot - the Leopard DVD or the installed partition.

Remember, this is all down to dfe and his cunningness, and his helpfulness and patience in assisting me. Thanks dfe!!!

is it possible to boot retail tiger?

Sorry but this guide just does�nt work. I�ve been trying out every tips in this guide with no luck on my old rig with a P4 3 Ghz sitting on a P4 P800SE mobo socket 478. It runs OK on Kalys 10.5.1 with the TOH kernel so it can run osx86 for sure no doubt about it but there�s no way in hell it can run retail Leo using this guide. I�m moving on guys this is just a waist of time.

For newer mobos and cpus seems it would be better if you download yourselves a working Kaly Leo and install it on a spare HD, then download the 123 boot disk and burn it to a CD. Then Install Retail Leo to a NEW HD using 123 method all the way through. Then shut down and boot up your Kaly HD again with your NEW HD set as Secondary HD. With your Kaly up running jump over to LTLs guide here and download the 10.5.6 combo update and install it to your NEW HD following his guide. Good luck

I'm using Retail on an Asus P4V

Hi, munky.

I have a P4 (SSE2), 1.9 GHz

I used your boot cd you posted above, in this thread. Followed every step.

The dvd booted, but I'm stuck in these lines:

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Mon Jun 19:30:53 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.20~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: P4i65G

Also, before this I can see some lines displaying "Error", like:

Debugger called: <panic>

(and then displays a bunch of hexadecimal adresses)

I've also noticed at the very beginning of the dvd boot, 4 weird errors. Don't know if that helps.

Hope I helped somehow...

Any ideas now?

Thanks to this thread I have managed to get to the installer of Leopard on my Intel G915GAV motherboard with a Pentium D 3.2GHz processor and 4GB RAM. I am using an IDE WD 200GB harddrive, and an IDE DVD-ROM both on the same cable as master and slave respectively.

It took some trial and error, but reading through all the posts in this thread made me finally get going.

I tried both Munkys and the SSE2/SSE3 CD-image to preload the right kernel and extensions. The SSE2/SSE3 gave me success. My DVD-drive if device "ef", not 9f etc.

The boot-device for the DVD was rd=disk1s3 in my case with the 10.5.6 retail DVD. I used -legacy -v options.

Anyways, the problem I have run into is that my 200GB WD IDE harddrive is recognized as just 128GB by the Installers Disk Utility. This sounds like a BIOS issue, so I will check the settings there, but in case it isnt I figured I could mention it here and if someone else have had the same they might have a tip or two.

A more detailed install/report will follow when I get to do more tests.

More details... Seems no matter which setting the 200GB drive is detected as 128GB and thus fails to install and become bootable. Trying with a 40GB drive now to see how it goes. It formatted and partitioned much better at least.

Munkys boot-CD (DFE) doesnt work on my setup since it requires a kext not in the image. The SSE2/SSE3 boot disc works fine. Not sure which kext is needed at this time.

After F8 these options work for me:

rd(0,1)/modbin -legacy -v rd=disk1s3

Install time takes about 2 hours for full install with just one language locale. Sound and network is not recognized in the installers System Profiler.

Hi, just downloaded munky's iso on page 1 (or 2 not sure lol im assuming this is the most recent one, if it isnt please tell me)

Im running a P4 machine with 2gb of ram. the problem is, i get to the 132 screen and i can acces the dvd from using 9f, but after i press f8, i dont know how 2 find my X & Y numbers in the command munky provided to boot with, also i cant find the UUID of my leopard disk because i dont have a mac/hackintosh. can anybody help me? ive tried all the numbers i can think of.

my drives are set up like this:

Primary Master: HDD im installing Leopard on2

Primary Slave: DVD drive im installing leopard FROM.

Seconadry Master: Nothing.

Secondary Slave: ZIP drive.

im using a retail 10.5.6 disk.

Also, whatever XsY combinations ive chosen, it gets up to

"MAC framework successfully initialised

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

then it just hangs. even the keyboard leds dont respond to anything. im using a usb keyboard and mouse.

hi guys!

i'm trying to install retail 10.5.4 leo on my pc. i use flash loader with XNU 9.4.0 kernel and those kexts:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

ApleDecrypt.kext

AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

RealtekX1000.kext

System.kext

i've extract dmg file with leo on my hard drive, then installed it using OSInstall.mpkg. and now when i try to boot from those partition, after message

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProvider</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string></key><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

appears "still waiting for root device" and system freezes... i tried different flags: -f, -legacy, cpus=1 etc etc, but nothing helps. please help!

Hi Guys,

Great work btw!

Im trying to boot using this method with a Gigabyte EP-35 DS3L with a pentium dual core cpu but it keeps getting stuck with the following error, something about com.apple.driver.AppleRTC(1.2.2) (some random codes) with dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0).

Im using the dvd that came with a mac book, does this class as retail and should it work?

Ive tried the modbin, voodoo and sleep kernel but none work.

Ive tried the original iso in this thread and also the GA-EP35 DS3 initd iso thats on the boot132 resources thetread for the kexts that are supposed to work on this MB.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Oli

• 2 weeks later...

If your DVD is gray it is not a retail DVD.

Hi Guys,

Great work btw!

Im trying to boot using this method with a Gigabyte EP-35 DS3L with a pentium dual core cpu but it keeps getting stuck with the following error, something about com.apple.driver.AppleRTC(1.2.2) (some random codes) with dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0).

Im using the dvd that came with a mac book, does this class as retail and should it work?

Ive tried the modbin, voodoo and sleep kernel but none work.

Ive tried the original iso in this thread and also the GA-EP35 DS3 initd iso thats on the boot132 resources thetread for the kexts that are supposed to work on this MB.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Oli

Is there a patched dfe-132 bootloader that supports loading DSDT.aml from initrd.img?

I'm almost done creating the image but I'd like to have it load my patched DSDT as well if that's possible.

I've been searching and reading like a madman but I can't find anything.

/EDIT

burned to CD and got a checksum error on boot. I give up.

Any chance of seeing a full on tutorial for dummies (i.e. me) of how this work with the modified kernel?

I have an XPS 400 I would like to get running on a retail install with Cham 2 EFI mojo... Tried one of the prebuilt Dell Boot 132s, but it probably didn't have a kernel on it. Do I just take that image and modify it by throwing in the Voodoo kernel?

I'm in the same boat as you though I've gotten a little bit further. I just need to find out how to use the Voodoo Kernel on the boot CD..besides that I have a retarded hardware issue - my DVD drive is broken and doesn't read or write CDs.

Chameleon 2.0's cdboot has all the functionality of dfe's Boot-132 plus a lot more - DSDT and SMBIOS injection for example.

The installer will even put it on your EFI partition for you so you could potentially skip the whole swap trick thing and "upgrade" to retail OSX right away.

It's the way to go - I'm stuck for the moment though.

Don't forget you still need to supply AppleDecrypt.kext or DSMOS.kext yourself - they are illegal to post on the forum but you can extract them from a OSx86 install DVD with Pacifist. Or just look in your extensions folder, you probably have one of them already.

If you're not going to use the Voodoo 9.5.0 Kernel you also need Disabler.kext on your boot CD.

Here's a quick tutorial by Sonotone on how to create a bootable Chameleon 2.0 CD:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160234

so my main problem is that my dvd rom drive does not register under a two digit number so i cant boot to it. only thing the boot loader sees is my previous failed attempts to hackintosh this. (before i knew there were special steps for pentium 4s)

Keep in mind that the two digit number is in hex, in other words when you get to 90 (going down) the next number is 8F.

Maybe the DVD drive needs to be SATA and on the same controller as your target HDD for it to work. It's difficult to find information about the requirements. I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you can't get your DVD drive to work, alternatively you can install OSX retail from a partition on your harddrive that holds the install DVD.

I don't remember where the information is, I think maybe in one of munky's boot-132 threads.