SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

Ok... Im new really.

I have a P4 SSE3 processor 3GHz and an IBM ThinkCentre. Do I have a chance of installing Leo? I have Mac OS 10.4.8 and am considering upgrading, except that I dont understand all the talk here. Im not a complete noob but I need detailed instructions because otherwise I cant follow. Im borrowing a Retail Disk soon, thats not a problem. Can anybody explain to me what exactly to do to have a computer that can do SysUpdates? Also, if its the CD way, tell me the exact hiearchy of files in the CD, or if its Chameleon then same thing.

Specs that I can figure out:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.99 GHz GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9

HardDrive: ATA disk0s1 6DD86771-13C1-3B50-8D9E-B7FD4DC30C4A (nearly full: im getting another one, cuz this one has 7.2GB free out of 34.8)

Mouse/Keyboard: PS/2

RAM: 512MB

VRAM: No video card: 64MB of shared system memory

GeekBench tells me my system is mostly under average.

Is an updating system possible without too much trouble here?

Check my sig - I would say that there is a better than even chance that Leo will run on your system. However, I am not prepared to write you a step by step install guide. There are enough of those in the forum already.

I will say that I installed from my own retail dvd at 10.5.1 and used software update to get to 10.5.5 with no major problems. At that point, the only mod to my retail install partition was in the Boot.plist and a patched mach_kernel.voodoo.

Updating to 10.5.6 was problematic and required installing the LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0 package directly to the retail Leopard partition to correct graphic issues.

If you have an external drive with enough space, I would suggest booting with the install dvd and creating a backup image before starting the new install - just in case.

Congrats on the progress ;)

For your existing questions, look in these sub-fora :

You will need " AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" in addition to the PS2Controller for the PS/2 type keyboard & mouse to work.

hi bladerunner, and thanks for info. I went to the Tom H thread, and downloaded the PS2controller.kext, before discovering it and the AppleACPIPS2nub.kext were on munky's install cd in initrd.img. So far I haven't had any success with modifying the PS2controller.kext suggested in Tom H's thread - possibly because I have a PS2 KB and a USB mouse. However, I don't understand how the additional kexts are loaded at start up. Why couldn't I just copy the required kexts into the /system/library/extensions folder on the installation hard drive? Unfortunately my thinking on these matters is clouded somewhat by my Windows experience, and this might be a really dumb question.

I'll try to resolve the KB issue before attemting the Ethernet connectivity matter. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

I can finally add a reply after a couple weeks of trial & error.

Dell Poweredge 400SC working from EFI boot. Processor upgrade to Prescott (SSE3 instructions).

I am using modbin to boot

Onboard audio (AC97) is not working, but a 10 dollar USB audio widget that was laying around works just fine.

Big thanks to munky for putting this all together in a cohesive format

Thanks to BladeRunner for posting the disc that got me on the right track

And thanks to all the other community members who put effort into making this work. I know who you are, you know who you are, let's leave my shoddy memory out of the question and leave it at that.

I'd gladly post the obligatory 'about this mac' screenshot, but that's not quite working. It seems to panic the GUI and that's just not happy. I'll figure that out in good time and hopefully follow up with the aforementioned picture.

got it working too, used the original ISO from the original boot123 post,or atleast the first one I found. Modded the files in initrd.img using a base install from an ideneb 10.5.5 v3 install. (stole the kernel i think it was 9.2.0, system.kext and a few others that might/might not be working). Install went pretty flawless once I figured out what two-digit hex device code to use (ef for me). Booted the a retail 10.5.4 dvd without issue, install went well (minus the language pack which wasn't necessary). Reboot also uneventful, even able to bring up 'about this mac' without issue (could be because I kept my system.kext file from same kernel but not 100% on that). anyway appreciate all the work DFE and munky put into this. if i didn't thank you...thanks and sorry for forgetting you.

attempting to install combo update 10.5.6 right now...will post results - also need to figure out some issues with audio not working, including wifi card and GMA950 without resolution change (QE/CI working though).

so interestingly enough, updated to 10.5.6 by downloading the combo update from apple, installed fine, system rebooted, tried to use my usual rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v rd=disk0s2 and it crashes....tried again minus the -legacy ... it boots up like a charm and 'about this mac' shows 10.5.6.

post-17978-1231954412_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the progress :)

For your existing questions, look in these sub-fora :

You will need " AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" in addition to the PS2Controller for the PS/2 type keyboard & mouse to work.

hi bladerunner,

No luck with the keyboard issue, so I've swapped a USB keyboard from another Windows machine, and it works fine. Mouse is also USB and works normally.

Tonight I also succeeded in getting Ethernet connectivity, and my machine is now accessing the Internet. Now to try some upgrades for Leopard 10.5.

Thanks again!!!

Rob

Today I have Installed from my retail disk, and I've successfully booted Vanilla installation ;)

and updated to 10.5.4 without any problems.

If you want to boot vanilla installation without the CD:

1- Install Chameleon Bootloader.

2- Copy boot from your boot CD to your root Partition.

3- Create Extra folder on your root partition, then add your hacked kernel that you want to boot from to it.

4- Create new folder called Extensions and put the extensions of your initrd.img and all necessary extensions on it.

5- Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, then copy your com.apple.Boot.plist file to desktop.

6- Open the file with TextEdit then change <key>Kernel</key> with this <key>hd(X,Y)/Extra/mach_kernel</key> (X is disk number nad Y is the partition number you can get them from disk utility)

7-Under Kernel Flags add rd=diskXsY (Example: <string>rd=disk0s2</string>)

8- backup your old com.apple.boot.plist and then add this new one, Your new com.apple.boot.plist will look like that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>hd(X,Y)/Extra/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=diskXsY</string>
</dict>
</plist>

That's all now you can boot your Vanilla installation on Pre-Core processor without CD and without typing you kernel location every time your start up :)

I'm unclear on these instructions, do you perform this from a current working install or before you do the install? sorry there's not really any good tutorials that i've found that detail chameleon installation... and does anyone have a recommendation on a bootloader that allows for dsdt injection? thanks!!!

It turns out the kernel performs an explicit check for the CPU 'family'. Only processors in 'Family 6' (or P6 processors) are permitted to boot. Pentium 4 and its derivatives (including Celeron D and Pentium D) are in Family 7 (P7).

There are a whole bunch of intel CPUs in the P6 family, but only Core Solo and above have SSE3, thus effectively limiting the kernel to Core processors.

Hi,

I have a pentium D with sse3 too,

The only thing we have to patch from the vanilla kernel is this check for the CPU family ?

If I'm right, is there any release of that patch or a patched kernel ?

I'm searching for a kernel with this patch only, it probably would better work as a voodoo kernel that is patched for amd, sse 3 emulation, etc

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I finally managed to install 10.5.4, but now i cannot boot it.

I boot MadTux's ISO (the one i used to install), choose 80 (my first HDD, on which i installed), then enter rd(0,1)/voodoo -f -v rd=disk0s2

It starts to boot, but stops and gives me "still waiting for root device" error. I tried booting with rd=disk0s1 and without the switches, and a screen appears telling me that i have to restart my machine.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

here is a link to a previous post that i explained how i was able to solve that error - i was booting retail install - if you don't have dsmos.kext loaded then this may solve your problem ...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...00#entry1051012

Hi,

I have a pentium D with sse3 too,

The only thing we have to patch from the vanilla kernel is this check for the CPU family ?

If I'm right, is there any release of that patch or a patched kernel ?

I'm searching for a kernel with this patch only, it probably would better work as a voodoo kernel that is patched for amd, sse 3 emulation, etc

I second that

Sorry for asking this, but I have read the whole thread and couldn't finde the answer:

It is said to "type the two-digit code for your dvd-rom drive" - but how can find out the two-digit code?

Neither diskutility nor terminal diskutil gives me anything similar. I am feeling like an idiot.

Any hints?

I am feeling your pain. What did you ever figure out? I have tried every 2 digit code mentioned in this forum and nothing works. I have googled bios boot order and had no luck there either.

Danny

I am feeling your pain. What did you ever figure out? I have tried every 2 digit code mentioned in this forum and nothing works. I have googled bios boot order and had no luck there either.

Danny

While this may not be true for everyone, many people are able to just use the default by entering nothing - just press enter. Have you tried that?

While this may not be true for everyone, many people are able to just use the default by entering nothing - just press enter. Have you tried that?

Yes I tried that. That SHOULD work but it doesn't. I used this dvd to install on my core 2 duo laptop and it worked but on my desktop it keeps giving me a device timeout so it's not the 2 digit code that is the problem unfortuneatly.

I got around the problem by putting the dvd image on a 8 gig usb stick and NOW I can switch to it and get to the installer.

My NEW problem is that darwin or whatever program on the bladerunner.iso sees my raid array and my sata drives but the osx installer does NOT. I guess I need a bigger hammer.

It was nice to see the installer finally but I'm not sure what to do now. I know an osx retail dvd can read sata drives so what does it lack that the bladerunner.iso has on it? The internal drive is already set to GPT or GUID which I did in windows 7 or vista, I don't remember which.

HELP!! I'm going bald from pulling my hair out. I used to think I knew a LOT about pc's and computers but mac is a whole new world for me. Why oh Why didn't I keep my linux blinders on? ;)

My computer is a Dell XPS600 with Nvidia raid on the motherboard if that helps. Thank you all in advance for any help given.

Danny

Hi guys! So I am really new at this and looking for some help. Doing some research and following munky's specified method, I was able to install osx86 onto my hp pavilion 7160n (pentium d).

So after the install was comeplete, I took the leopard disk out and put the boot-132 disk (that i burnt for installation with munkys process) back in. But when i load up the hd with the leopard install it just goes to the grey/white apple screen and freezes there. Can someone please explain to me what my next step is or what I am doing wrong?

Just looking for some feedback so I can get pointed in the right direction.

--------------

So I made a bit of progress but I have not clue what it means.

So after installing and rebooting, I put munkys boot-132 disk back in and got to the hd boot screen and then typed in:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin rd=disk0s2

That allowed me to boot into the OSX. But now I dont know what I have to do next to get my drivers working and how I can make this entire boot process happen automatically on the hd so that I can just boot straight to OSX. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Indy

Hi,

I have a gigabyte ga-ep35ds3l motherboard, intel pentium dual core cpu and an nvidia geforce 8600 gt graphics card.

I have tried EVERY possible iso out there for this board and all of the standard boot-132 iso's but none of them work, I always end up with a screen that states at the bottom my motherboard model "System ep36ds3l" with a kernel panic above.

I have a working kalyway install thats on 10.5.5 so I know my hardware is compatible but I cant for the life of me work out how to get a retail dvd to boot using the boot 132 method.

The only thing is, im using an os x dvd that came with the macbook i just bought, is this ok to use? It doest say restore on it, but it also doesnt say retail??

I have tried slimlining the retail iso to fit on a single layer dvd, but that won't boot at all!!

Does anyone have any advice for me, this is driving me up the wall!!!

Thanks in advance!

Oli

Here's my boot ISO, contains:

Kernels:

Modbin 9.4.0 kernel, filename:modbin

ToH 9.2.0 Sleep kernel, filename:Sleep

StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, filename: StageXNU

Kexts:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

Link

Thanks so much 3D mn! This iso got me past the dreaded "Still waiting for root device error" problem that i was having use the default iso from munky's post. I am now getting stuck at the screen below. Any ideas on how to keep on troubleshooting?

IMG_0211-th.jpg

Specs:

CPU:P4 Northwood C EXTREME EDITION 3.2 GH L2 2mb Bus:800mhz

Mobo: Asus P4P800 -e -deluxe (marvel chipset)

Disk controller:onboard sata

sound:onboard

network:onboard

firewire:onboard

graphics:nvidia geforce 6600 GT

Hi

I've been trying this out but can't get through the install.

The same thing happens everytime: I boot with the 132 disc and let it load then i swap to a Retail 10.5.6 dvd (which i know works since i installed it on my laptop) press f8 and enter the text for the drive and modbin kernel.

"rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v rd=disk1s3"

It runs a bunch of textlines as usual and then loads the installer, i get to choose installation disk and configure options and then when i press install it spins

for about 30 secs and then this message appears:

"Mac OS X could not be installed on this computer

The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install"

Haha great! -_-

I searched the forum and looked through at least 20 threads where people have problems with this message but nothing. The only answers that anyone bothered to post is like: Hey check your disc, download a new one, burn at slowest speed bla bla bla..

So really nothing useful..

What am i missing here? In my boot cd i have the following kexts + modbin kernel.

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleHDA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleYukon.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVdarwin.kext

SiliconImage3132.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Specs in my sig, it's the homebrew one with brand new SATA disk in GUID mode.

The Dvd reader obviously works with the loaded kexts or else i would not get into the installer i guess?

Any ideas???

Thanx/O

Hi

I've been trying this out but can't get through the install.

The same thing happens everytime: I boot with the 132 disc and choose my added modbin kernel.

It boots and i swap to a Retail 10.5.6 dvd which i know works since i installed it on my laptop.

It loads the installer, i get to choose installation disk and configure options and then when i press install it spins

for about 30 secs and then this message appears:

"Mac OS X could not be installed on this computer

The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install"

Haha great! :rolleyes:

I searched the forum and looked through at least 20 threads where people have problems with this message but nothing. The only answers that anyone bothered to post is like: Hey check your disc, download a new one, burn at slowest speed bla bla bla..

So really nothing useful..

What am i missing here? In my boot cd i have the following kexts + modbin kernel.

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleHDA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleYukon.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVdarwin.kext

SiliconImage3132.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Specs in my sig, it's the homebrew one with brand new SATA disk in GUID mode.

The Dvd reader obviously works with the loaded kexts or else i would not get into the installer i guess?

Any ideas???

Thanx/O

I could be wrong. It would not be the first time. But, if I read your sequence of events correctly, you did things in the wrong order.

You should boot the pre-boot CD and press F8 to get the first prompt. Then press Esc. to get to the prompt where it asks for a hex drive ID. At that point, swap the CD for the install DVD. When the drive is ready, press enter.

You should then see an output from the install DVD. Press F8 to get the boot prompt. Now, enter the text to select the boot kernel and drive. i.e., "rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy rd=diskXsY"

This is how I have done it and I have not seen the problem you describe. Hope it helps - good Luck!

I could be wrong. It would not be the first time. But, if I read your sequence of events correctly, you did things in the wrong order.

You should boot the pre-boot CD and press F8 to get the first prompt. Then press Esc. to get to the prompt where it asks for a hex drive ID. At that point, swap the CD for the install DVD. When the drive is ready, press enter.

You should then see an output from the install DVD. Press F8 to get the boot prompt. Now, enter the text to select the boot kernel and drive. i.e., "rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy rd=diskXsY"

This is how I have done it and I have not seen the problem you describe. Hope it helps - good Luck!

Hi

Yes I do it in this correct order as you wrote it.

Just badly explained by me, will edit it.

Thanx

During install I received a kernal panic..

"Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.20/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:2885"

I am using 3dman's ISO.

I apologize for the cry for help, I am just stuck.

Thanks so much 3D mn! This iso got me past the dreaded "Still waiting for root device error" problem that i was having use the default iso from munky's post. I am now getting stuck at the screen below. Any ideas on how to keep on troubleshooting?

IMG_0211-th.jpg

Specs:

CPU:P4 Northwood C EXTREME EDITION 3.2 GH L2 2mb Bus:800mhz

Mobo: Asus P4P800 -e -deluxe (marvel chipset)

Disk controller:onboard sata

sound:onboard

network:onboard

firewire:onboard

graphics:nvidia geforce 6600 GT

Try BladeRunner's iso, I have a similar setup (P4C800 e deluxe) and his worked using the voodoo kernel.

I've since created a new one using slimbuild gui and the release version of that kernel.

Hi

Yes I do it in this correct order as you wrote it.

Just badly explained by me, will edit it.

Thanx

Ok, i added another IOATAFamily kext to my Boot132 and it boots the Leopard Retail 10.5.6 after the swap. It also starts the install which is a great step forward. The problem is that it's not going through the whole process since it stops with an error which might be just a badly burnt disc, will check that.

One weird thing is that when i do the same process with a 10.5.4 Retail disc there is a major difference after the swap and entered rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v boot-uuid=(my uuid)

The disc starts to load a bunch of drivers and files that the 10.5.6 never did. It's at least a couple of minutes process with doing this before it proceeds and kicks me into the installer.

What might the difference be between the discs??

Trying to finish the 5.4 install right now, will return with results:p

EDIT: Ok the 10.5.4 Retail worked great ;)

Installed Chameleon and kexts afterwards and it runs way better than anything i've tried on this computer.

Still i cant figure out the problem and difference to the 10.5.6 disc..

Any ideas??

/O

Ok Ive been reading this and decided to give it a go. I burned your minimalist iso to a CD and followed boot procedures (I have to type in 90 and 9f) and it obviously seems to work until it jams at AppleSMU.kext . Then, after a couple minutes it says something of this kind: EBIOS ERROR blablablabla Disk sector something.

Computer: P4 3Ghz 512MB DDR RAM No video card (64 MB of shared system memory or something like that) PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard HardDisk 34GB Running Hackintosh Tiger 10.4.8 . What should I do? I boot with rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -f -v rd=disk2s3. I know both the rd and boot-uuid values.

Sorry but this guide just does´nt work. I´ve been trying out every tips in this guide with no luck on my old rig with a P4 3 Ghz sitting on a P4 P800SE mobo socket 478. It runs OK on Kalys 10.5.1 with the TOH kernel so it can run osx86 for sure no doubt about it but there´s no way in hell it can run retail Leo using this guide. I´m moving on guys this is just a waist of time.

For newer mobos and cpus seems it would be better if you download yourselves a working Kaly Leo and install it on a spare HD, then download the 123 boot disk and burn it to a CD. Then Install Retail Leo to a NEW HD using 123 method all the way through. Then shut down and boot up your Kaly HD again with your NEW HD set as Secondary HD. With your Kaly up running jump over to LTLs guide here and download the 10.5.6 combo update and install it to your NEW HD following his guide. Good luck