SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

Hello Munky,

I download and get the modify boot CD, and an retail version of Leo ( I think it is 10.5 only DL DVD). It boot with the retail DVD, but got stuck at a gray screen with apple logo. I have installed Kalyways 10.5.2 successfully, but still can not info the retail DVD info.

(I am new with MAC and want to give it a try)

My system:

mobo: Abit D9-MAX

CPU: Intel Pentium D 920

HDD: Hatichi 750GB SATA2 (which I have to partitioned in order to format with mac extented journal)

DVD: Pioneer (SATA also)

Can you please help me on what I did wrong and why no beach ball spinning and move on with the install (like the Kalyways 10.5.2).

Thank you Munky

-----------------------------------------------

Finally using the SSE2-3 boot CD and get everything installed, BUT WHEN DONE IT CAN NOT RESTART. It said check Disk Utility, I notice that my HDD is disk0s2 (I don't partition the HDD) so any clues why I get this ERROR. Please help.

Here's my boot ISO, contains:

Kernels:

Modbin 9.4.0 kernel, filename:modbin

ToH 9.2.0 Sleep kernel, filename:Sleep

StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, filename: StageXNU

Kexts:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

Link

HI 3Dman! Thank you for this image! I have some questions. Can you write here what function of each file in this iso? I wont add some kext and kernel in to this iso, how can i do this? How make iso bootable after modifications? Thank you a lot for ansver. (sorry for my english)

Hi, just downloaded munky's iso on page 1 (or 2 not sure lol im assuming this is the most recent one, if it isnt please tell me)

Im running a P4 machine with 2gb of ram. the problem is, i get to the 132 screen and i can acces the dvd from using 9f, but after i press f8, i dont know how 2 find my X & Y numbers in the command munky provided to boot with, also i cant find the UUID of my leopard disk because i dont have a mac/hackintosh. can anybody help me? ive tried all the numbers i can think of.

my drives are set up like this:

Primary Master: HDD im installing Leopard on2

Primary Slave: DVD drive im installing leopard FROM.

Seconadry Master: Nothing.

Secondary Slave: ZIP drive.

im using a retail 10.5.6 disk.

Also, whatever XsY combinations ive chosen, it gets up to

"MAC framework successfully initialised

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

then it just hangs. even the keyboard leds dont respond to anything. im using a usb keyboard and mouse.

It does not look to me like you ever go an answer. Not sure I can help, but will try.

After you inserted the Mac install dvd and pressed F8 you should have seen some text that identified the disk as a Mac OS X install dvd. This text would have looked like "HD(31,1) Mac....." From my experience, the retail install dvd will have a "Y" value of 3. e.g., disk1s3.

so you could try rd=disk1s3 and work your way up in "X" values. I know that is a bit of a pain but without the uuid there is not much else to do.

Are you sure you don't have access to a Mac of any type? No friends, or associates from work, school etc that could pop in your install dvd and get you the uuid? You know, the uuid does not change from system to system. So once you have it it is good for the life of the DVD.

I wish you luck. I went through this once myself - a long time ago.

Hello Munky,

I download and get the modify boot CD, and an retail version of Leo ( I think it is 10.5 only DL DVD). It boot with the retail DVD, but got stuck at a gray screen with apple logo. I have installed Kalyways 10.5.2 successfully, but still can not info the retail DVD info.

(I am new with MAC and want to give it a try)

My system:

mobo: Abit D9-MAX

CPU: Intel Pentium D 920

HDD: Hatichi 750GB SATA2 (which I have to partitioned in order to format with mac extented journal)

DVD: Pioneer (SATA also)

Can you please help me on what I did wrong and why no beach ball spinning and move on with the install (like the Kalyways 10.5.2).

Thank you Munky

-----------------------------------------------

Finally using the SSE2-3 boot CD and get everything installed, BUT WHEN DONE IT CAN NOT RESTART. It said check Disk Utility, I notice that my HDD is disk0s2 (I don't partition the HDD) so any clues why I get this ERROR. Please help.

One of the first things you need to do is always boot with the kernel flag -v. Anytime you are working on something new, always use -v. That way, in place of staring at a gray screen and wondering what happened, you will see the messages and you will have a clue. It will be these same clues that you will need to provide anyone that wants to help you.

Hi, just downloaded munky's iso on page 1 (or 2 not sure lol im assuming this is the most recent one, if it isnt please tell me)

Im running a P4 machine with 2gb of ram. the problem is, i get to the 132 screen and i can acces the dvd from using 9f, but after i press f8, i dont know how 2 find my X & Y numbers in the command munky provided to boot with, also i cant find the UUID of my leopard disk because i dont have a mac/hackintosh. can anybody help me? ive tried all the numbers i can think of. im using a retail 10.5.6 disk.

Try one of these UUIDs. Ignore the rd(0,1) line if you don't have an bootcd132 with a alternative kernel on its root. If you do need one, PM and I'll teach you how to make your own cdboot with alternative kernel.

http://osx86tuga.com[/url]']ATENÇÃO

Para arrancar com este CD, é preciso digitar: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=UUID-do-DVD-Retail

Lista de UUIDs para DVD Retail

Mac OS X 10.5.1 Retail 9B18 - C71B1D31-CD17-36E5-A60E-B4555F0708F8

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail 9G66 - 8A69AC47-7A42-3DC6-A3A6-287F58A72406

Mac OS X 10.6 Retail 10A190 - F1987182-B4FF-3D60-ABBF-5ED4CACFCBD9

Mac OS X 10.6 Retail 10A222 - 575B2620-4597-32DE-BFF8-B4D8A69B9165

@searcharound

try a better/newer kernel. the 10.5/9.0.0 kernel doesn't work with grey PCs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a P4 3 Ghz system with an IDE/ATA harddrive. I can get as far as the "Still waiting for root device..." error. It has something to do with the AppleACPIPlatform kext. Is it possible to get rid of that kext on the Boot-132 CD, and what does that kext do anyways? Also the screen complains about iTunesPhoneDriver, any way to silence that? Both those kexts generate an error about "no immediate dependencies".

Can Anybody Tell me Which Kexts are required for my System

Following is my Specs

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0Ghz SSE2,SSE3,HT supported

Intel D865GBF Motherboard ICH5

SoundMax AD1985

2x512 GB RAM DDR 400 Dual Channel MODE

D-Link DFE 538TX Lan Card

IDE DVDROM LITE-ON

IDE DVDRW LITE-ON

IDE 80GB SAMSUNG Hard Disk

Sapphire HD3650 AGP DDR2 512MB Graphics Card

If anymore details are required please Mention them.

Thanks

Can Anybody Tell me Which Kexts are required for my System

Following is my Specs

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0Ghz SSE2,SSE3,HT supported

Intel D865GBF Motherboard ICH5

SoundMax AD1985

2x512 GB RAM DDR 400 Dual Channel MODE

D-Link DFE 538TX Lan Card

IDE DVDROM LITE-ON

IDE DVDRW LITE-ON

IDE 80GB SAMSUNG Hard Disk

Sapphire HD3650 AGP DDR2 512MB Graphics Card

If anymore details are required please Mention them.

Thanks

My system is somewhat like yours - specs in Sig.. I am running 10.5.7 now. I use the Chameleon2 RC1 boot loader and this is the list of kext I use.

AHCIPortInjector.kext
ATAPortInjector.kext
AppleDecrypt.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
System.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
seatbelt.kext

Some of the injector kext are provided by the Chameleon installer package. Since the system runs a P4, I need a modified kernel and I use the Voodoo kernel which is currently at the 9.5 (Leopard 10.5.5) level. I use the System.kext supplied with the Voodookernel. The seatbelt.kext is from 10.5.5 and is required to prevent kernel panic during mounting a .dmg image when you are running a system at 10.5.6 or .7.

Chameleon2 and VoodooPS2Controller.kext are found at Voodoo Labs

Voodoo kernel is found at xnu-dev

Hope I answered your question.

Sorry to Bother you BladeRunner

Can you make a Boot 132 Disk specifically for my System with the Specs posted above

I have tried 3d mans ISO and DFE-132 ISO's.

I wasnt able to get past the boot Screen till now.

It just gets hung up over there.

I had success with iPC 10.5.6 but that was limited to installing OSx86 becoz during boot it gave me

com.apple.Boot.plist error.

With the Retail option it is not even getting me till the installation of the OS X Leopard.

Please Help me out

It does not look to me like you ever go an answer. Not sure I can help, but will try.

After you inserted the Mac install dvd and pressed F8 you should have seen some text that identified the disk as a Mac OS X install dvd. This text would have looked like "HD(31,1) Mac....." From my experience, the retail install dvd will have a "Y" value of 3. e.g., disk1s3.

so you could try rd=disk1s3 and work your way up in "X" values. I know that is a bit of a pain but without the uuid there is not much else to do.

Are you sure you don't have access to a Mac of any type? No friends, or associates from work, school etc that could pop in your install dvd and get you the uuid? You know, the uuid does not change from system to system. So once you have it it is good for the life of the DVD.

I wish you luck. I went through this once myself - a long time ago.

I have the same problem on HP nc8000. 

1. Boot your CD.ISO

2. Swap to retail leo

3. Enter the two digit code

4. Press F8

5. Enter: rd(0,1)/voodoo -f -v rd=disk1s3

6. It's booting to line "using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers" and stuck.

Do you think the reason is wrong rd=disk1s3 ?

Possible trouble in some missing kexts? Can you help me with this? What kexts needed for my HP nc8000? It's run Ubuntu now, so i can run some commands for collect information about hardware, if needed.

I have the same problem on HP nc8000.

1. Boot your CD.ISO

2. Swap to retail leo

3. Enter the two digit code

4. Press F8

5. Enter: rd(0,1)/voodoo -f -v rd=disk1s3

6. It's booting to line "using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers" and stuck.

Do you think the reason is wrong rd=disk1s3 ?

Possible trouble in some missing kexts? Can you help me with this? What kexts needed for my HP nc8000? It's run Ubuntu now, so i can run some commands for collect information about hardware, if needed.

I've had a similar problem on my HP zd7000. I first boot off the modified bootloader, I select my cdrom, press f8 when prompted and enter in rd=1s3 for the dvd drive. It goes through everything and it stops right after RTL8139: :fixenetflowcontrol -flow control is disabled saying "still waiting for root device".

I think that it is waiting for hard drive. It could be a driver issue but in my experience on a desktop system with ikatos 10.5.2, the hard drive had to be on 0 or 1. The boot order in my bios is cdrom first then hard drive. There is no option for achi or compatibility mode since the hard drive is an ide.

Anybody have any idea or suggestions?

I'll dig through the forum but how do I my own kexts to the image? sorry, I'm a nube to doing this and would like to learn how.

Thanks in advace!

I've had a similar problem on my HP zd7000. I first boot off the modified bootloader, I select my cdrom, press f8 when prompted and enter in rd=1s3 for the dvd drive. It goes through everything and it stops right after RTL8139: :fixenetflowcontrol -flow control is disabled saying "still waiting for root device".

I think that it is waiting for hard drive. It could be a driver issue but in my experience on a desktop system with ikatos 10.5.2, the hard drive had to be on 0 or 1. The boot order in my bios is cdrom first then hard drive. There is no option for achi or compatibility mode since the hard drive is an ide.

Anybody have any idea or suggestions?

I'll dig through the forum but how do I my own kexts to the image? sorry, I'm a nube to doing this and would like to learn how.

Thanks in advace!

If you are stuck at "still waiting for root device" it means that you need to specify the correct one.

to do this I suggest mounting your install disk and go to disk utilities. Click on the partition or drive you installed the OS X on. After selecting it, click the blue info button at the top of the window. look for diskXsX (where the X's are numbers)

then when you re-start enter the rd=diskXsX I used this for my boot using a modified cd:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -v rd=disk1s2

Cheers,

Glynn

If you are stuck at "still waiting for root device" it means that you need to specify the correct one.

to do this I suggest mounting your install disk and go to disk utilities. Click on the partition or drive you installed the OS X on. After selecting it, click the blue info button at the top of the window. look for diskXsX (where the X's are numbers)

then when you re-start enter the rd=diskXsX I used this for my boot using a modified cd:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -v rd=disk1s2

Cheers,

Glynn

Thanks Glynn, I'll give that a try again. I thought I did it correctly but instead of disk utility, I went througy system information. When i did that it said disk1s3 but I'll follow your advice and see what it says. I thought i was missing some driver.

Edit-

ok, I popped it into my g4 macmini and the install disk reads 1s3, and the hard disk reads 0s3. I have tried both 1s3 and 0s3 but my notebook still stops at waiting for boot device. Would it make a difference that I have to read the disk via an external dvdrw and not an internal one in the mac mini since it had probems reading dvds?

Also, when I boot up with the modified boot loader, it says hd(31,1)mac os x install dvd.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, attempting to use the boot-132 cd modded with the voodoo kernel on a p4 2.2ghz. i have an old soyo dragon motherboard. im booting with rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy rd=disk0s2. everything seems to go ok until it hangs after the line "dsmos: starting". what gives?!?!? im using the standard kexts that come with boo132 plus dsmos.kext.

Guest matthews1193
*** SSE2 & SSE3 Intel owners, you CAN boot the retail Leopard DVD! ***

Munky, and all others who can help, I have been reading your guides on the insanelymac forum for about a week now. I really want to install mac os x on my machine and I borrowed a Mac OS X 10.5.6 Install DVD from my friend who owns an iMac. My machine specs are

-Asus P4P800-MX Motherboard

-Intel Pentium 4 CPU @ 3.00GHz

-1 Gigabyte of RAM

Please Inform me how to install Mac OS X cause I don't really understand everything about the kexts and things. I am downloading your "boot_dfe_modbin.iso zip file" and am going to burn it to a dvdr. I'm waiting for you to tell me what to do next. Thanks in advance!

Matthews1193

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Munky, Ive try this method but seems it doesn't allow me to boot until finish

I try the UUID method as I don't know my diskXsY value. I wrote down the UUID value for my Retail Leopard DVD from my another Hacintosh machine. It stuck at "IOPCCardBridge::Start failed". Its my Thinkpad T43 btw..

How bout the SpeedStep status? Need to enable or disable?

Little update:

I can past the error above after I enable the SpeedStep, but now Im stuck at "Still waiting for root device"

Goshh, this is really challenging my patient.. Lol

How do i find the UUID of the install dvd??? i dont have macOS so i cant find it through there. i have windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 64bit. the installation dvd shows up in both Windows and Linux as WindowsSupport, with all the bootcamp files and stuff. any ideas?

Hi, this threat seems to be the closest to finally getting a Hackintosh. I have 2 legit Leopard DVDs and a Rackmounted PC for Music Production. This said, I am no hardware guru. Can ANYONE please show me the steps to get there. MUCH appreciated. I got a MacBookPro (latest) but i need to wire it to a Hackintosh. Is it possible to use more than 4 GB of ram with any Hackintosh "version"? Again, many thanks for not deleting this post and answering me, since I'm very lost without a step-by-step how-to :shock: thanks

Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe | CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz, 1066 MHz | VGA: nVIDIA NForce 7600 GT

i have a dell optiplex gx400 and i was wondering what kexkts kernals etc. i should use with it

dell specs:

P4 1.7 ghz willamette SSE2

intel 850 chipset

IDE HD and DVD drive ICH2 B4 IDE controller

AC'97 Audio

3com fast etherlink XL 10/100 MB TX

4 usb 1.1 ports ICH2-M B4 controller

TNT2 PRO

756MB ram

PS will a retail tiger dvd work or not with the boot 132 method

/edit i have found a osx86 dvd that works pefectly but how do iknow what kekts it used so i can put them on boot 132?

/edit i tried munkys and 3dmans iso both give me com.apple.boot.plist missing error after i type in rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -v boot-uuid=<uuid of boot device>

OK, I see the implications of this, but what's a "GPT disk" and how do I 'place a suitable patched kernel in the root of the ramdisk image (initrd.img)'?

Thanks for the guide,

Morrie

Ok munky, get to the damn point. Where's the beef?

Heh.. ok, well here's what i've managed so far:

- Booted the retail DVD from a modified boot-132 CD.

- Installed successfully to a fresh partition on a GPT disk.

- Booted the installed partition and completed setup, again by booting from the boot-132 CD.

To boot, you need to place a suitable patched kernel in the root of the ramdisk image (initrd.img), and at boot time, after typing in the two-digit code to boot the Leopard DVD (or your hard disk partition), you boot thus:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy boot-uuid=<uuid of boot device>

OR

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy rd=diskXsY

So, to break that down:

rd(0,1) refers to the ramdisk, so rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched is how we're specifying the kernel to boot.

-legacy is needed if the kernel cannot operate in 64-bit mode. the kernel i have been testing with is an experimental pre-release kernel and still has SSSE3 routines in the 64-bit code, so I have to force 32-bit operation.

boot-uuid=<uuid> or rd=diskXsY - this is the real trick. specifying a kernel on a different device causes the boot sequence to switch the 'root' device to the device which holds the kernel. trying to boot without specifying the uuid or root device (rd) will cause mach to try to boot from the ramdisk itself. this is obviously not what we want. so you need to specify the uuid or the correct bsd address of the device you want to boot - the Leopard DVD or the installed partition.

Remember, this is all down to dfe and his cunningness, and his helpfulness and patience in assisting me. Thanks dfe!!!

*** SSE2 & SSE3 Intel owners, you CAN boot the retail Leopard DVD! ***

Latest News: I posted a guide on how to install patches/kernels to the hidden EFI partition: here

(Older posts on this subject, leading up to me actually getting it to work are archived here)

As we all know, dfe's excellent modified Boot-132 bootloader allows us to place extra kernel extensions on a ramdisk, which can be used to boot the retail Leopard DVD on Core architecture PCs. An amazing milestone in OSx86 history, as i'm sure we all agree.

But what exactly is required to run the retail Leopard DVD and the so-called vanilla (ie Apple-supplied) kernel? Why can't my Pentium D run it?

It turns out the kernel performs an explicit check for the CPU 'family'. Only processors in 'Family 6' (or P6 processors) are permitted to boot. Pentium 4 and its derivatives (including Celeron D and Pentium D) are in Family 7 (P7).

There are a whole bunch of intel CPUs in the P6 family, but only Core Solo and above have SSE3, thus effectively limiting the kernel to Core processors.

64-bit operation adds another level of complexity - the only implementation of a certain routine in the kernel code (bcopy) in 64-bit mode uses SSSE3 (Supplemental SSE3), which - again - only Core and better CPUs have.

The upshot is that my machine *requires* a patched kernel to boot. The changes needed are fairly minimal, but as it stands my machine cannot run the kernel which is on the retail Leopard DVD.

Thus my thoughts turned to another approach - can I specify the 'extra' kernel extensions *and* a kernel, and have the machine boot from the DVD? I emailed dfe to ask if this is something he could add support for, only to discover it was already possible:

This led me to perform a whole bunch of experiments to try to get my Pentium D to boot the retail DVD. See here for the blow-by-blow account of me getting this to work :)

Ok munky, get to the damn point. Where's the beef?

Heh.. ok, well here's what i've managed so far:

- Booted the retail DVD from a modified boot-132 CD.

- Installed successfully to a fresh partition on a GPT disk.

- Booted the installed partition and completed setup, again by booting from the boot-132 CD.

To boot, you need to place a suitable patched kernel in the root of the ramdisk image (initrd.img), and at boot time, after typing in the two-digit code to boot the Leopard DVD (or your hard disk partition), you boot thus:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy boot-uuid=<uuid of boot device>

OR

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched -legacy rd=diskXsY

So, to break that down:

rd(0,1) refers to the ramdisk, so rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched is how we're specifying the kernel to boot.

-legacy is needed if the kernel cannot operate in 64-bit mode. the kernel i have been testing with is an experimental pre-release kernel and still has SSSE3 routines in the 64-bit code, so I have to force 32-bit operation.

boot-uuid=<uuid> or rd=diskXsY - this is the real trick. specifying a kernel on a different device causes the boot sequence to switch the 'root' device to the device which holds the kernel. trying to boot without specifying the uuid or root device (rd) will cause mach to try to boot from the ramdisk itself. this is obviously not what we want. so you need to specify the uuid or the correct bsd address of the device you want to boot - the Leopard DVD or the installed partition.

Remember, this is all down to dfe and his cunningness, and his helpfulness and patience in assisting me. Thanks dfe!!!

hi munky....is it possible to boot & run retail mac os x 10.5 on my configuration

intel D915GAV mother board

intel pentium 4 processor 3.00 GHz HT

DVD drive

1GB RAM

250 GB sata harddisk

integrated graphic card intel

thank u....

Good morning.

Please I need help to add an alternative kernel inside a BOOT-132 CD.

I did not understand the following.

I found that the name of an alternative kernel is always like ......."mach_kernel" and this file has its own system.kext

Now my question: do I need to put these 2 files (mach_kernel and system.kext) inside a folder and then add the folder to the root of INITRD.IMG ?

Could you please explain how to add the kernel exactly to the iso ?

Thanks a lot

Hello, everyone, I am trying to install Retail on my Celeron D 331, I'm trying with several Kerner with Sleep, and Modbin Stage XNU.

I start with the command rd(0,1)/kernelname -legacy -v rd=disk1s3, loads the boot from the DVD all right but when entering the screen to choose my language the computer lock, lock mouse, keyboard, CD / DVD drive , i have to restart, someone terial any solution for me?

thanks

I am using a CDBoot with these files:

Kernels:

Modbin 9.4.0 kernel, filename: modbin

Toh 9.2.0 Sleep kernel, filename: Sleep

StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, filename: StageXNU

Kexts:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

Configuration

Intel Celeron D

Chipset VIA P4M800 Pro

HD Sata

nVIDIA GeForce 6200 AGP

PS2 Keyboard and Mouse

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Munky and others,

All of the guides are really really helpful. I do have a major problem though. I have downloaded the boot-loader from the first page of this forum and I cannot seem convince my Leo Retail DVD to boot. I am working off of a Pentium D 940 (2 cores at 3.2 GHz), I have attempted both ways to boot (the uuid and rd=1s3) and get the usual stuff, I'll post pictures if you need them, until it get to the buffer part:

"using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster I0 buffer headers" and it just hangs and hangs and hangs. I have left it but nothing quite works. I would appreciate help on this soooooooooo much. Thanks guys.