HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

hi! can you try to edit the bios of an zv6278ea laptop? just try! i've the error 104 and i'd like to change my wireless card..

this is the bios pkg, is the F1.C version..

the id of the card that i'd like to insert is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4223&SUBSYS_1354103C

thanks!

PS: is just a try.. thanks!

What is the vendor ID and the Device ID of your original wifi card?

hi! can you try to edit the bios of an zv6278ea laptop? just try! i've the error 104 and i'd like to change my wireless card..

this is the bios pkg, is the F1.C version..

the id of the card that i'd like to insert is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4223&SUBSYS_1354103C

thanks!

PS: is just a try.. thanks!

The F.2B is being worked on right now but no luck. Completely disabling the whitelist might not be an option but possibly adding in a card.

Hola a todos :unsure:

Tanks to everyone for all the work you are doing.

I have a dv2760 with bios f.2b. I want to install this card "PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_04221468&REV_01\4&37028E5F&0&00E3"

You can change the bios to me to use it? I tried to modify it by my self but i brick and have remained without notebooks 20 days.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english i'm Italian.

The 14E4 sounds like a Broadcom, and the 8086 sounds like an Intel, am I correct? I've search through the bios and I have not been able to find any entries of the 14E4 (E414 while searching). Intel wifi cards are unsupported in OS X, or do you dual boot? I will continue to look through the BIOS, hopefully I can find the whitelist.

they maybe are (this is from the hex of the bios) E4141843 3c105613

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4318&SUBSYS_1356103C

thanks!

PS: do you rebuild checksum??

yes, you're correct, but my broadcom bcm43 doesn't work good.. and i've bought an intel 2200bg that is supported..

the whitelist there is, because i get the error..

I know the whitelist is in there somewhere, just haven't been able to find it yet

I have a Pavilion dv6000 and the current BIOS version is F.3A. I noticed you said that the current BIOS for this laptop is F58A, but when I go to the HP website the latest version of BIOS it offers me for this model is F.3D. I don't want to brick my laptop by flashing the wrong BIOS. Any ideas?

I write this having not actually tested the laptop with another wireless card, but am assuming that I will have problems so I want to be ready for when it arrives -_-

Sorry for the slow response. I have been really busy with school and my girlfriend just had surgery so I'm just now getting back to my computer. Will have a little more time here soon. and i will post back if i find anything more out with your bios...

lrzrage, are you here??

I can confirm this works. I ordered an airport card to replace the Intel 4965AGN card. The apple part number is MB363Z/A. As soon as it booted up the airport was in my menu bar and working. I have an HP DV9700CTO Notebook with F.58 hacked BIOS thanks to LZRAGE. Windows also automatically installed drivers for this card upon booting up. In windows on speedtest.net my download was about 2mbps but on Leopard the card pulled in 14mbps. My Intel card was capable of 21mbps download in Windows. Im thinking its time to buy a Retail version of OSX and use boot-132 and have a real MAC. Windows is being downgraded to a 50 GB partition tonight.

Thanks again this thread made my day and love my HP again.

I ordered the part from CDW.ca and it took 4 days to arrive. Cost me $87 CAD

I have taken another look at the BIOS and still having problems. I haven't been able to locate the whitelist in the normal bios locations (BIOSCOD1-BIOSCOD4) I'm open for suggestions if anybody else here has opened up your bios and taken a look... ;)

lrzrage, are you here??

awesome, thanks for the info... after reading your post, i looked again but didn't see biosexec but i did see romexec and found it in there. I do see your original wifi card in there and I can go ahead and add the intel. Please be aware that making any changes can brick your system. I advise that you know how to do a phoenix crisis recovery in the event of a bad flash. Please PM with a personal email, so I can send you the file.

btw... your DV6580el uses the F.58A BIOS which I patched to allow any card. Saw in your sig it still says the intel 3945... are you running OS X on that laptop?

edit: now it seems after I add the card in through hex and save, and then build the BIOS and it checks out ok. Then I reopen and then open up HEX again, and its back to the original hex that i changed... kinda weird but i will continue to work on it

yes, the whitelist in this bios is on the biosexec.rom (if i remember well).. have a look into that..

no is my brother's laptop..

we have the same problem.. the only method to modify the bios is moodifing the bios.wph in hex, then open with bios editor and build.. but in this passage i have some problems.. something like that the bios was very distructed after build.. try..

Still having the same issue. I edit with HEX and the build and it is OK, but still it wont keep the changes after I save and double check. :P

no is my brother's laptop..

we have the same problem.. the only method to modify the bios is moodifing the bios.wph in hex, then open with bios editor and build.. but in this passage i have some problems.. something like that the bios was very distructed after build.. try..

have you edited the bios.wph instead of biosexec.rom? than have you open with the bios editor the edited bios.wph, and builded after?

i have the procedure, but my editor don't works well.. it crash the bios.. but the changes makes before (inserting the vid and pid into bios.wph) will be into the builded bios..

guys i have to say , try booting into MacOSX directly after you change your wlan card. I replaced my intel card with Dell 1490 (on my HP dv 6000) and it booted directly i didnt get any error and afterwhile got it working too.

(details of that adventure in my own thread as seen in screenshot).

Your 1490 is more than likely is an accepted card with your bios. Here is the screen shot for the whitelist in the f.29. I bet the ven dev subsys of your wireless card is in there. So not everybody that buys a dell 1490 is going to have the same success and will more than likely get the 104 error.

guys i have to say , try booting into MacOSX directly after you change your wlan card. I replaced my intel card with Dell 1490 (on my HP dv 6000) and it booted directly i didnt get any error and afterwhile got it working too.

(details of that adventure in my own thread as seen in screenshot).

post-214538-1223258042_thumb.jpg

No problem. :whistle: The F.29 bios is just like mine (F.58A) in the whitelist aspect and I was able to patch it to allow any wifi card.

@ LRZRAGE , Thanks for the explaining that man :thumbsup_anim: . now i know.

I feel really nice, its supported Out_of_box.

I have a Pavilion dv6000 and the current BIOS version is F.3A. I noticed you said that the current BIOS for this laptop is F58A, but when I go to the HP website the latest version of BIOS it offers me for this model is F.3D. I don't want to brick my laptop by flashing the wrong BIOS. Any ideas?

I write this having not actually tested the laptop with another wireless card, but am assuming that I will have problems so I want to be ready for when it arrives :thumbsup_anim:

I have found the whitelist in BIOSCOD1.ROM of the F.3D. We can try to add in the specific card you want to use though. No guarantees but I have had 1 AMD user be able to use his atheros in his 6000 model after adding in the card ids for him. If you want I can give it a shot, but i will need the ven dev subsys of the card you want to use. I do advise knowing how to do a phoenix crisis recovery on your system in case of a bad flash.