Hackingtosh vs iMac, costing

36 posts in this topic

Hello All

I thought it may be interesting to cost a complete Hackingtosh system against an iMac of similar specification. Component prices have been taken from local suppliers, all costing in AUD (this setup has NOT been tested!!). I'm sure that you could source cheaper components, but in the constraints of time I have not gone to seek such. Overall the saving equates to about AUD 241.

So what value is left in the saving of $241; not much really considering the time and tinkering that you will consume in getting the Hackingtosh working 100%, although on the plus side the satisfaction of getting it working is priceless :turbin:

What is the point in this exercise I hear you say? Considering most Hackingtosh's are built with components that one already has on hand, what I am trying to say is that if you are considering a complete new system, and you have taken a bite from the Apple, I personally think it is far better to go for a real Mac as opposed to a Hackingtosh; so one can really enjoy the wonderful machines that Apple produce... and also keeping yourself legal ;)

Of course, the Hackingtosh is a great way to test drive the world of Mac OSX, and is no doubt creating many knock on sales for Apple.

Price AUD

$225.95 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4

$221.82 INTEL: CORE 2 DUO E6750/2.66GHz/4MB CACHE/1333FSB/LGA775

$58.85 KINGSTON: 2GB 800MHZ DDR2

$149.88 GIGABYTE: Radeon HD2600XT,256MB,DDR4

$97 Seagate 320GB 3.5 inch PATA Sata HDD

$60 PIONEER: DVR-115DBK PATA BLACK DVD

$165 Antec NSK 6500 (case)

$238 ACER: X193WS 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor Silver.

$129 Leopard compatible USB Webcam Creative Live Cam Optia AF

$69 Mighty Mouse (wired)

$69 Apple Keyboard (wired)

$18 Logitech R10 Speaker

$158 Leopard Retail DVD

$99 iLife'08

$1,759 TOTAL

$1,999 TOTAL iMac 20 inch 2.66 GHz core 2 duo, 320GB SATA, 2GB Memory

ATI Radeon 2600HD PRO, 8x double layer Super-Drive, mighty

mouse, keyboard, Leopard, iLife'08, iSight Camera

$241 SAVING

Not included in exercise

Wireless

IR receiver and remote

I will also point out, however, that if you are a PC convert and already have nice monitors, an iMac is not as good of an option even at similar costs. I had a 30" panel that would not have worked with an iMac, not to mention not needing a 20" or 24" monitor. In comparison to a Mac Pro, you can build a hackintosh for a LOT less than even the lowest end $2300USD Mac Pro (which would be 2.8GHz quad core, 320GB SATA, 2GB ram, and a 256Mb Radeon 2600 XT) By comparison, you can piece together a 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad, 4GB ram, 300GB SATA, nVidia 8800GT for well under $1000USD. You may not do *as* well in AU, but I suspect you can beat out the price of a Mac Pro.

-Josh

(note, a friend donated an ADC discount that he wasn't going to use, so I have a Mac Pro, and a Hackintosh based on a Q6600, and while the Mac Pro is better hardware, for most of what I do, the Hack is effectively equivilent.)

A Hackintosh is always going to be a better deal. Your prices some a bit off, $1800 could easily get you a quad core monster. (For perspective, my hack sans video card, monitor and hard drives was $800)

Whoa bud, those prices are through the roof!!!!!!!!

You can build an amazing machine for $1,000, but, if you are willing to spend that money get a Quad Core Mac Pro from Apple's Refurb section. Quad, not Octo.

Although I love my MBP and think that for a main rig it's worth paying the premium, as soon as I get the money I plan on building a Quad Hack.

I figure for $700

Quad 2.4 (OC'd of course)

4gb

8800gt

500g

You can get a 24" ultrasharp with the PVA panel for 500 if you watch, less for a cheaper panel

Can't beat it for a workhorse rig.

• 3 months later...

I've enjoyed messing around with my hackintosh setup at home. Running Mac OS on PC is fun, but ultimatly I don't think it should be considered a primary OS for the PC... there should always be Windows or Linux available to boot to. There could be a Mac OS virus come out and hackintosh users aren't able to secure because of the problems we face from Apple's software updates.

Ultimately, if you want to run the Mac OS X as your primary OS you should get an Apple, IMHO.

• 2 months later...

To first poster...

Man AUS is a expensive place.. My PC (current price Jan 09)

in GBP £

24" monitor = £280

Q6600 £=120

8800GTX = £150 maybe less

4GB Ram = £60

MB= £70 asus p5k-e wifi/ap

Case £70 Antec 900

Microsoft Habu £40 Mice

Microsoft Reclusa £35 Keyboard

Hard drives: 500GB = £45 I have 5 hard drives lest list one in thsi example:

The cost of the OS is not included here:

Hardware Cost = £870 and to get ilife/iwork/osx pack, lets say £120

Call it £1000. total inc software

There is no Mac in UK which will give you similar proformance less than £2500 entry level macpro) all macs and macbooks are very under powerd even 24" imac i think has a mobile CPU.

and i love to build my own pcs, i have done so since 1999.

Also let me add, after enlisting the help of these fine people here i found the drivers i needed, and the Hackingtosh is very stable and fast :):):blink:

you can take another 200+ off because you dont absolutly need the mighty mouse of keyboard nor ilife08 so its actually a savings of 400 and if you really got down to it i'd even dare say that the retial disk isnt needed (although its great to support the product) but you could that that 160 off too making it a 480 savings or so

Ultimately, fun thought this is, I don't care what super buff cardboard box or egg carton you shoehorn the parts into or how much neon you do or do not add, with a PC we're paying that hidden extra for borderline ugliness or for overkill, for clunky function over a sleek and gorgeous aesthetic, not to mention you need to buy the OS and iLife and that aftersales, as opposed to tinkering to get the thing working well, counts for a lot; I have never had a bad experience in a Mac store, they are beyond helpful. I always saw Hacks as stepping stones to owning the real thing.

I think the problem, if it can be called that, is that if we have been system builders for half of our lives, what Apple offers seems like a crazed rip off but that's because we're approaching the thing from an angle that might, or might not, be illogical. Unless we have some specific need for bleeding edge speed, like rendering and high end video editing or need a killer rig for gaming or just something to heat our rooms, a sleek iMac may be the tool for the job that gets the job done, quick enough, clean and with style.

Ultimately, fun thought this is, I don't care what super buff cardboard box or egg carton you shoehorn the parts into or how much neon you do or do not add, with a PC we're paying that hidden extra for borderline ugliness or for overkill, for clunky function over a sleek and gorgeous aesthetic, not to mention you need to buy the OS and iLife and that aftersales, as opposed to tinkering to get the thing working well, counts for a lot; I have never had a bad experience in a Mac store, they are beyond helpful. I always saw Hacks as stepping stones to owning the real thing.

I think the problem, if it can be called that, is that if we have been system builders for half of our lives, what Apple offers seems like a crazed rip off but that's because we're approaching the thing from an angle that might, or might not, be illogical. Unless we have some specific need for bleeding edge speed, like rendering and high end video editing or need a killer rig for gaming or just something to heat our rooms, a sleek iMac may be the tool for the job that gets the job done, quick enough, clean and with style.

You hold a good point although the way I see it is when you build your own computer you pick the case you like as well as the other cosmetics. I love the look of my antec 900 case and my monitor they may not have the sexy sleek mac look but it's all a matter of opinion there. Also macs do get a few less cords so if you dont like a little cluter the the macs would win you over. 

I also agree with you on macs getting the job done, there are alot less districions for me on the os seeing as I cannot play as many games as my windows counterpart and photoshop being able to to move the windows were ever I please rather than confiend to one smaller window makes it a great graphic design machiene in its own, that and programs like protools and final cut. But thats just a novice graphic designers 2 cents no need to listen to me lol

*sigh* :(

In the words of Steve Jobs "A mac is just a PC. An expensive PC in a shiny box."

*sigh* :glare:

In the words of Steve Jobs "A mac is just a PC. An expensive PC in a shiny box."

Selling characterless PC boxes is diametrically opposed to everything Steve Jobs rants against, so I'm guessing someone was misquoting something he said when he previously left the company? Or at least Google drew a blank for me. That doesn't mean I disagree with the stripped bare premis; the vast majority of the stock componants are the same, but the implementation, packaging and service are everything that your average PC box experience will, unfortunately, probably never be. And I have yet to find an analog to the Apple store experience. Majorcrabs, I too have a very nice brushed aluminium case, with a very nice black finish but... the closest I have seen to a semi decent looking iMac clone is a recent Sony knock off. But it's a Sony! It was running Vista! I ran away from it! Fast! Maybe Windows 7 will be the king maker for that Sony, if they massively change their customer service values, but at the moment, leaving snobbery and operating system politics aside, comparing like with like, what's like an Apple?

That said, were it not for iPod range and the iPhone, how well will Apple survive the recession, especially with Jobs unfortunate hatred of cheesy netbooks?

Xbox Live vision camera works in leopard ootb, could save you 79$ there :P

I Agree 100% .Set up a rig to test out everything you think you will need in a mac, if you like it then I am sure sooner or later you and 90% of the people here on this forum will or have purchased one.

• 4 weeks later...

actually, to make this a fair judgement on price, we need to compare all the parts with the exact sames parts being sold on the market... ie, instead of Kingston ram, apple uses Samsung rams.... with that, we are able to see more clearly the actual differences in the pricing is...

Selling characterless PC boxes is diametrically opposed to everything Steve Jobs rants against, so I'm guessing someone was misquoting something he said when he previously left the company? Or at least Google drew a blank for me. That doesn't mean I disagree with the stripped bare premis; the vast majority of the stock componants are the same, but the implementation, packaging and service are everything that your average PC box experience will, unfortunately, probably never be. And I have yet to find an analog to the Apple store experience. Majorcrabs, I too have a very nice brushed aluminium case, with a very nice black finish but... the closest I have seen to a semi decent looking iMac clone is a recent Sony knock off. But it's a Sony! It was running Vista! I ran away from it! Fast! Maybe Windows 7 will be the king maker for that Sony, if they massively change their customer service values, but at the moment, leaving snobbery and operating system politics aside, comparing like with like, what's like an Apple?

That said, were it not for iPod range and the iPhone, how well will Apple survive the recession, especially with Jobs unfortunate hatred of cheesy netbooks?

There are a lot of PC cases that look a hell of a lot better than Mac one. Why the hell should it matter anyway? Are you so self conscious that you believe you need to have a "sleek" computer?

• 2 weeks later...
Ya. They're still boxes, next to your screen. They're not built into your screen and 2" thick.

Do you actually do anything with your iMac besides look at it and go "ooh shiny"?

I mean an iMac is about combining the power and customizability of a laptop, the mobility of a desktop and the price of a mid-high end PC which makes it a very pretty exercise in futility. Congratulations for spending a load of money on a fashion statement.