[Guide] Convert your Retail Leopard Disk/image into a self-booting Backup using Boot-132

120 posts in this topic

I'm trying to make the single layer DVD from the Retail Leopard 10.5.4 DVD but after booting and starting the installation process I get a message saying that an error occurred and there are missing files... I've looked into the log and the file that is missing is the AsianLanguageSupport! But the guide here tells us to delete ALL the languages in order to get the single layer... is there a solution for this?

TIA,

Well done. The one point of breakdown for me is the Chameleon install. My board is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L. I ended up installing Chameleon from a different set of instructions, which worked... but it seems it's not using /Extra/Extensions maybe anymore? I'm trying to install the Nvidia Inject driver by copying the kext into the extensions folder and deleting the cache file, but it's not picking up the new kext. What's the relationship now between /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

im going to try this out and will get back to you guys how it goes

i have the retail image of leopard 10.5.4, i was trying to boot it with boot123 but there was an error on the disk.

i did a restore on an external hard dirve with the dmg of leopard image, it loads but the screen is blurry all scrambled up

How can i fix this? is there a way of incorporating drivers? .kext?

i have the GMA X3100

thanks

sorry for the double post

is there a way of getting a dmg instead of a .toast? i was planning to use an external USB hard drive. i had the dmg of leopard and used the restore within the disk utility

i have googled around and haven't found a converter from toast to dmg

Hello all,

succesfully ended up to the point when I have the toast image, but when try to burn it, it reported an error:

The Drive reported an error:

Sense Key=Illegal report

Sense Code = 0x27

Write Protected.

I have only 30MB free space left on "old" Leo disk0s2 but the toast was saved to another (extended) partition (first it was ntfs but I deleted the formatted to Case-sensitive, journaled - same as disk0s2).

Any hints?

Or are there any alternatives for burning? In Windows for example? With MagicISO?

Thanks and regards,

bozon42

What I havo found out is that the permissions differ:

/Volumes/disk0s3

-rw--r--r-- Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg

/Volumes/data2_hfsplusjournaled

-rw--r--r--@ new-Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg

What does @ mean? Can it have impact on burning ?

Regards,

bozon42

Hello all,

I have found out @ is a kind of extended attribute.

ls -al new-Mac OS X Install DVD.toast

-rw-r--r--@ new-Mac OS X Install DVD.toast

to see the attrbutes:

sudo xattr new-Mac OS X Install DVD.toast

com.apple.FinderInfo

to get rid of it via:

sudo xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo new-Mac OS X Install DVD.toast

ls -al new-Mac OS X Install DVD.toast

-rw-r--r-- new-Mac OS X Install DVD.toast

But the error is same as before.

bozon42

NEW:

Note: I have realized that my orig 10.5.4.dmg image was successfully burned to Fujifilm DVD-R DL 2x-4x speed

And now I am trying to burn to Imation DVD+R DL 8x speed.

Probably this can be the error - I will try to get one more Fujifilm DVD-R DL 2x-4x speed and then report.

Hello all,

yesterday I bought a Memorex 8x DVD-R DL medium and burning of toast image was successful.

I started the installation with F8 and -v cpus=1 option but it hangs on line with 3100 display module.

Can it be that I need an external monitor for installation to my Acer Extensa 5220 since I had to use it when installing Kalywat 10.5.1???

Regards,

bozon42

PS: Or add Paulicats Natit.kext for GMA X3100 to the image and burn it again ???

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm trying to follow the guide (I just want to modify retail dvd so that I can install on MBR partition, don't need single layer stuff or "built-in" bootloader). I think I'm doing all required steps but I can't boot the resulting "modified" dvd!

I have a custom boot cd (for dell e520), it boots fine, I then replace the dvd with the "modified" one but it goes back to original bootloader and never boots... When I do this with original retail dvd it is booting though (but I can't install to MBR disk)...

Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I'm using 10.5.4 retail dvd...

And to be precise: I'm doing steps A, B, C, E (instead of copy I'm using Toast to burn the image created in C).

thx,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey-

I've made one of these DVDs successfully, but apparently messed up the kexts on the Boot132 side. (As it happens now, by the way, only the BOOT132 is visible in Windows, and only the Mac OS X Install DVD is visible in Leopard.) I want to keep experimenting with this, however, my efforts at making a standalone Boot132 USB loader have failed (all I get when I try this is an endless 'underscore' blinking at the top left corner of my screen.)

So what I was thinking of doing is just using this guide to create a BOOT132/OSX hybrid DVD stick. I tried to do this by 1) ripping a bit-for-bit image with ImgBurn and then 2) using dd for windows (deadmoo-style!) to get it onto the stick. Now apparently the OSX side is there when I mount the stick in Leopard, but boot132 is not seen in Windows and the stick does not boot.

Any pointers on this? A thousand apologies if this is obviously not doable or if I haven't read enough yet (which clearly I haven't; otherwise I wouldn't have messed up the Boot132 kexts in the first place. For the record the CPU is a Core2Duo ULV...)

-e

Hi all, i've followed your guide and stopped at point C1, cause all i needed was a SL retail which can install on mbr.

I don't need bootloader on the dvd since i've got a boot132 cd made for my pc.

So i burned the cloned copy i got with ccc (btw, 4,14 gb wasn't enough space) and tried using it after booting with boot132 cd... but it just doesn't work...and the bootloader keep asking me to insert the two digits of the device which i want to boot from...what am i doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

hi ilauqsd,,

i'm thinking about to make an mbr installation for leopard, coz i'm in dualboot with windows

so i think i would like to install with my own boot 132 cd and retail leopard (mbr one) separately

from that idea, i've already done your step by step tutorial until step C

i didn't slipstream my boot 132 image into the retail one

but, looks like the retail isn't bootable without boot 132 image

waste only 1 dvd+r dl thou' ^_^

could you help me,

how to make retail leopard which can install to mbr bootable?

what steps do have to take?

can i just install chameleon on the dmg?

thanks in advanced

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully created a bootable single layer MBR disc?

I have followed the guide- I get stuck at burning the toast image. Part E #7. The toast image is not recognized by the disk utility or disc mounter.

Please help. :)

Thanks.

- janet

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm trying to follow the guide (I just want to modify retail dvd so that I can install on MBR partition, don't need single layer stuff or "built-in" bootloader). I think I'm doing all required steps but I can't boot the resulting "modified" dvd!

I have a custom boot cd (for dell e520), it boots fine, I then replace the dvd with the "modified" one but it goes back to original bootloader and never boots... When I do this with original retail dvd it is booting though (but I can't install to MBR disk)...

Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I'm using 10.5.4 retail dvd...

And to be precise: I'm doing steps A, B, C, E (instead of copy I'm using Toast to burn the image created in C).

thx,

I have the same problem,too.

but just why?maybe some data lost during retoring or editing?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. If my question seems pretty basic, or somewhat "dumb," please forgive me. I am new to all of this. I purchased OS X version 10.5.6 and I am trying to install this on my Dell XPS M1530 along with Vista. Therefore, I need to do this as a MBR. I am trying to follow the instructions here to create the modifed disk, and wonder if they require a working OS X installation? Or can this process work after you boot up the OS X installation disk? I have gotten that far, but don't know what to do from here on out. I am stumped at part B. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for this guide. It worked flawlessly with Ed Saxman Bcn's boot-132 image and the the MBR fix. I installed Leopard Retail on an HP dv3510nr with no disc switching!

And VeryNewAtThis, you do need a working OSX install for the MBR edit. If you want, you could install a distribution like Kalyway or XxX (they all have the MBR patch) and make your custom retail disc that way.

• 2 weeks later...

[And VeryNewAtThis, you do need a working OSX install for the MBR edit. If you want, you could install a distribution like Kalyway or XxX (they all have the MBR patch) and make your custom retail disc that way.

Thanks. I got it working. I setup an external usb drive and partitioned it as GUID. Installed OS X and used that install to create my retail disk for MBR. Worked like a champ!

• 4 weeks later...

HI!!! Great work!!

I've modified only OSInstall.mpkg, i prefer swap CD at installation and i haven't problem to burn DL DVDs.

So, i've a Full Retail DVD that can installs on MRB disk.

I'm writing because i've found two little issues:

1 - I'm italian and at installation time, i select only italian pkg for language (all installation process is in italian), but when i restart, the language of my system become in english. Why? To return in italian i use Internetional in System preference, but with untouched RETAIL DVD this bug there isn't!!

2 - The boot time (after installation) is longer then untouched DVD, i count the roll of the wheel under apple logo (quiet boot), and with retail on guid i counted 3/4 rolls, but with retail on mbr i counted 17/20 rolls.

Any solution?

PS: I've burnt .dmg with disk utility, and i've delete several lines in my OSInstall.mpkg as you made with your, not only "eraseOptionAvailable='true'".

I tried a version with only "eraseOptionAvailable='true'" deleted, same problem.

I used the version 10.5.6 of leopard retail (6.71 GB from "Green Daemon").

I use Chameleon v2 as bootloader.