[How To] Create bootable USB with BOOT-132 loader

107 posts in this topic

Okay, I've read through all the comments.. I found that you said you need a modded boot file, turbo-munky to enable me to use a com.apple.Boot.plist

I've downloaded that, I think. from [Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or Better .. from : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry900139

I have unzipped the folder, which contains :

- boot-turbo-munky.bin

- boot1h

- boot0

- fdisk

- update.sh

Which file(s) do I need from there? And, what do I do with them to make my USB pen drive use a com.apple.Boot.plist file?

Many Thanks,

Chris

This is a great tutorial however I just wanted to add 2 steps for Vista users which I didn't see mentioned.

See steps 3b and 5b to allow full write access to your flash-drive, other-wise you might get a drive access error when running syslinux.exe.

1) Connect you USB Drive and format it as FAT32.

2) Download syslinux from here. (Must be version 3.63)

3) Unpack zip somewhere. (Ex: c:\temp)

3b) Go to (c:\temp\win32) folder and set administrator permissions on syslinux.exe by right-clicking on the file, go to properties> compatibility and then check off Run as Administrator.

4) Open cmd and go to the unpacked folder\win32 directory. (Ex: c:\temp\win32)

5) Run syslinux.exe -ma <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe -ma f:)

5b) Click Allow when Vista asks.

6) Copy all files from CD to your USB Drive (mboot.c32, boot, initrd.img, isolinux.bin)

7) From folder isolinux copy isolinux.cfg to USB Drive root f:\.

8) Rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.sys and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.

9) Enjoy you bootable USB Bootloader...

The idea after this, is to leave OSX installation untouchable.

To apply all the patches at USB Drive...

After OSX boot's you can edit your initrd.img right on USB Flash, just by attaching initrd.img and drag'n'drop your files inside initd drive.

When you booting from USB Drive, your Hard Drive going to be a Secondary, you must to enter 81 not 80 to boot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My USB drive wont boot. It just hangs at Verifying DMI pool data :( . Anyone knows how to get this to work? I have tried two USB's. They are formatted as FAT32 with your files plus the initrd.img.

Usb flash boot need another format tool

ex. HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Usb flash boot need another format tool

ex. HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Thank you. Well, I got it to work sooner than your answer came. I am trying to put it on a HDD Sata partition but it wont boot. It just hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool data" :blink:.

Thank you. Well, I got it to work sooner than your answer came. I am trying to put it on a HDD Sata partition but it wont boot. It just hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool data" :(.

I also get stuck at verifying DMI Pool Data. I have everything installed on a USB flash drive. I don't understand the post above about extra formatting tool... could you explain? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question. I am currently using this method, which works great (complete vanilla install). I have the Boot-132 version that allows the use of the com.apple.boot.plist file. Is there a version of the bootloader that allows the DSDT.aml load as well? I have been searching around both the forum and net and have not found anything yet. Thought someone might know if there is. Thanks to all the people that put in all the hard work to make this possible.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all, i could be missing something REALLY basic and i've read this entire thread and googled for the answer..

when i type 'syslinux.exe -ma F:' (f: being the drive letter of my usb drive)

it just comes up saying "Usage syslinux.exe [-sfmar][-d directory] <drive>: [bootsecfile]

can anyone offer any suggestions why it might be happening?

Hi. When I boot to the USB it displays the Syslinux Ebios but then after Ebios it says Boot Error. If I use syslinux 3.73 and syslinux.exe -ma the USB to replace the 3.63 version it does boot but only up to the boot: There is no Darwin prompt where it says -v

It seems if you use 3.73, it's not compatible with the other files. Until then, I will try the one from Thanks in DellMini site which has similar bootloading thing to install their Dell mini with OS X retail.

Can anyone confirm this method works on GA-965P-DS3 v3.3 mobo? Because i cannot boot USB Flash drive, if i format it in fat32 it write me "can't find linux kernel" if i format my usb in fat , it's reading initrd.img and then just blipping "-" and that's all, in bios i didn't find any option to emulate my USB to HDD Mode and it doesn't show in *HDD when i choose it via F12 menu or in BIOS. I boot it through F12 menu i choose USB-HDD Option. Can anyone help me with that. :hysterical:

My Bios version is F14B the latest one from Gigabyte Official Website.

Ok Solved My Problem, Just Formatted the damn USB Flash with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and it did boot, so if you guys have same problems , use HP tool to format the usb flash drive ;)

• 1 month later...

I've read through this entire tutorial and actually use this method. The only thin I wish there was a clear answer on was what files from Munky's method should be brought over to use a .plist inside the initrd.img I use boot.plist to set my resolution and set some auto boot flags. Also, the timeout of booting to device 81 (my hdd) has never worked for me. I've only got this auto boot method to work use a boot.plist with a timeout flag set.

I'm very familiar with Munky's EFI partition method. What "exact" file(s) do I need to put on the USB flash drive? Also, and this is a total aside, would said file(s) allow me to boot from FE (dvd)? Thanks ahead of time, I really appreciate all of your work Stickpin :)

This method useful only for already installed OSX with

CD Boot.

Requirements: Windows, USB Flash Drive, BOOT-132 CD, 10 minutes of your time...

Thanks alot to: Kabyl, bumby, f41qu3 and all chameleon's... ;)

1) Connect you USB Drive and format it as FAT32.

2) Download syslinux from here. (Must be version 3.63)

3) Unpack zip somewhere. (Ex: c:\temp)

4) Open cmd and go to the unpacked folder\win32 directory. (Ex: c:\temp\win32)

5) Run syslinux.exe -ma <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe -ma f:)

6) Copy all files from CD to your USB Drive (mboot.c32, boot, initrd.img, isolinux.bin)

7) From folder isolinux copy isolinux.cfg to USB Drive root f:\.

8) Rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.sys and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.

9) Enjoy you bootable USB Bootloader...

The idea after this, is to leave OSX installation untouchable.

To apply all the patches at USB Drive...

After OSX boot's you can edit your initrd.img right on USB Flash, just by attaching initrd.img and drug'n'drop your files inside initd drive.

When you booting from USB Drive, your Hard Drive going to be a Secondary, you must to enter 81 not 80 to boot.

If you want your OSX to start automatically, open syslinux.cfg, right after DEFAULT.... add APPEND biosdev=<your hdd id> (Ex: APPEND biosdev=81)

So your syslinux.cfg should looks like this:

PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img
APPEND biosdev=81

USB Files: http://www.mediafire.com/?d9nzydnj3vz (You just need to add your initrd.img.)

I followed these steps... but for #5, I kinda got lost here. Whats the purpose for this? I opened up cmd and it didn't do anything? could you elaborate it more? thanks.

I've read through this entire tutorial and actually use this method. The only thin I wish there was a clear answer on was what files from Munky's method should be brought over to use a .plist inside the initrd.img I use boot.plist to set my resolution and set some auto boot flags. Also, the timeout of booting to device 81 (my hdd) has never worked for me. I've only got this auto boot method to work use a boot.plist with a timeout flag set.

I'm very familiar with Munky's EFI partition method. What "exact" file(s) do I need to put on the USB flash drive? Also, and this is a total aside, would said file(s) allow me to boot from FE (dvd)? Thanks ahead of time, I really appreciate all of your work Stickpin :censored2:

No one? I need to use a com.apple.boot.plist to set some strings on boot. I can do this from the EFI partition but not from my USB stick. I like the USB better since it's easier to maintain if something goes wrong (I have a MacBook Pro where I can fix something on the stick). I'd really appreciate it if anyone got this working. Thank you!

I followed these steps... but for #5, I kinda got lost here. Whats the purpose for this? I opened up cmd and it didn't do anything? could you elaborate it more? thanks.

syslinux -ma <driveletter:>

makes the usb drive bootable.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, and thanks for this tuto

i've made a stick using this method with chameleon 2.0 r431 but it still use syslinux.

it works for retail 10.5 DVD and retail 10.5.6 install.

is there a new method to make a boot 123 usb stick with chameleon 2.0?

I have found tuto for usb but not with boot 123 and with methods i've tried at reboot boot0:test then error.

my usb stik image

thanks by advance if you can say me more about this.

hi guys....

i already follow steps.

copy image files from iso leopard 10.5.5 to the formated fat23 usb 8gb after syslinux it .

but where is the initrd.img ???? it is not in my iso files..???

in this step 7) From folder isolinux copy isolinux.cfg to USB Drive root f:\.

where is the folder of isolinux in iso files or where?????

thanks alot

• 3 months later...

Working great on my end (gigabyte p35-ds3l), thanks.

Just a follow up question to post 5 & 6. Is the reason that you can't install the retail dvd with this method that you can't figure out which is the hex address of the dvd drive? or there is another technical reason?