[How To] Create bootable USB with BOOT-132 loader

107 posts in this topic

I can't get this to work. Admittedly I haven't followed the steps in the first post, I just downloaded the pre-prepared files linked later in this thread. Unless someone has an all OSX way to do this I'll fire up my XP machine tomorrow and create the files per the instructions.

linked files won't be enough. syslinux should be executed on the usb-flashdisk so u'd really be needing win xp or vista.

but if you're at it, & if there's someone who has uploaded an image of their usb-boot-132, u can download it then restore it in a partition of you're hdd. from there, u won't be needing a usb-flash disk anymore. :rolleyes:

+ + +

you may want to check out this very 1st topic of mine. :angel:

SOLVED

with <key>Quiet Boot</key> <string>Yes</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Thanks...

-Nishad

This didn't work for me. I am succesfully booting off a USB stick, but I still have one boot: prompt where I have to hit enter.

Anybody know how this can be remedied in initrd.img?

This didn't work for me. I am succesfully booting off a USB stick, but I still have one boot: prompt where I have to hit enter.

Anybody know how this can be remedied in initrd.img?

Is the modified com.apple.Boot.plist supposed to go onto the USB stick somewhere?

btw you don't need windows to do the syslinux install .. it works fine from linux :blink:

i created a small 1.5gb partition on my primary hard drive and installed syslinux in it.. now i can choose this one from grub

how do we "syslinux" a usb flashdisk from linux? i plan to use ubuntu live cd only, would it be just fine?

• 4 weeks later...
how do we "syslinux" a usb flashdisk from linux? i plan to use ubuntu live cd only, would it be just fine?

Hi,

Syslinux is a linux package so you will find it especially in Ubuntu. I've installed it there's not a long time on my Debian. If i remember well, you will have to type something like :

#syslinux -c /dev/diskXsY

Good luck.

Happy Linux and OsX86!

Is the modified com.apple.Boot.plist supposed to go onto the USB stick somewhere?

Using the syslinux Wiki I found that PROMPT 0 in syslinux.cfg should eliminate the "boot:" prompt. It doesn't work for me.

TIMEOUT 0 should skip the prompt as well and automatically boot, but it doesn't. Even the TIMEOUT 90 should quickly pass, but on my machine it does not.

Mine just sits at "boot:" until I hit enter...hours....

Still investigating...

EDIT: The above commands only control the boot: prompt that happens before INITRD.IMG is loaded. Default is no prompt and no timeout, so the PROMPT and TIMEOUT lines are unnecessary.

My syslinux.cfg file now looks like this:

DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img

APPEND biosdev=80

But I'm still getting the very annoying "boot:" prompt after initrd.img has loaded.

I got a 16gb USB stick recently... Would it be possible to make an image file of the retail dvd and have boot-132 boot from the image file on the USB stick?

The only problem I can see if that fat32 has a filesize limit of 4gb, but if I was to remove the languages and printer drivers from the DVD image, I think I could get it under 4gb...

I got a 16gb USB stick recently... Would it be possible to make an image file of the retail dvd and have boot-132 boot from the image file on the USB stick?

The only problem I can see if that fat32 has a filesize limit of 4gb, but if I was to remove the languages and printer drivers from the DVD image, I think I could get it under 4gb...

u can set it up. u only need fat32 volume format for the boot-132-loader (perhaps just a 200MB or less partition). for the partition in your usb where you're gonna restore your Mac OS X DVD Installer, u can/should format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Did just test this method for usb, my boot cd works perfect with just 7 kext. But to get this to work on usb i had to add this to every kext i use.

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

Did even have to add this to ApplePS2Trackpad.kext plugin inside ApplePS2Controller.kext to get trackpad to work.

u can set it up. u only need fat32 volume format for the boot-132-loader (perhaps just a 200MB or less partition). for the partition in your usb where you're gonna restore your Mac OS X DVD Installer, u can/should format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Nice, I'll give this a go. I was going to somehow attempt to boot from and ISO file but I don't think syslinux is capable of that...

One question tho, does OSX write lots of temp files like windows does, as this tends to be bad for solid state USB drives...

• 2 weeks later...
It also works booting from usb to usb... one usb pen with boot132, another one with restored untouched retail osx86... works really really fast!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Can you please tell me how you did that?

I can't get it to boot from my leopard usb pen (restored retail cd to usb pen)

Edit: nevermind, had to press escape before I could type the number of my usb pen :)

This method useful only for already installed OSX with

CD Boot.

Requirements: Windows, USB Flash Drive, BOOT-132 CD, 10 minutes of your time...

Thanks alot to: Kabyl, bumby, f41qu3 and all chameleon's... :whistle:

1) Connect you USB Drive and format it as FAT32.

Q: Is the reference to the USB drive for an external USB Harddrive or a USB Key/Thumb drive?

Thank you.

Q: Is the reference to the USB drive for an external USB Harddrive or a USB Key/Thumb drive?

Thank you.

whichever usb-drive you'd like to use as the bootloader for retail leopard. but this is more on usb-flashdisks (thumb drives). but if you'd like to use a partition of your usb-harddisk, then it's that partition that u have to format as fat32.