[How To] Create bootable USB with BOOT-132 loader

107 posts in this topic

Me too ... 2 XP drives and 2 OSX drives

My board only recognizes the first HD, and the DVD and floppy drives as boot devices. In my BIOS I specified my USB drive the first drive and my other HDDs as Drives 2, 3, etc.

The board boots with the USB stick (first drive = 80). When syslinux is finished, I press ESC and then depending on what I want to boot (XP or OSX), I type 81, 82, etc.

CODE

PROMPT 0

TIMEOUT 90

DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img

APPEND biosdev=81

I've "APPEND biosdev=81" in my syslinux.cfg and that helps to choose the first HDD, but still its asking for which partition to load from the first hard disk 81. How can I avoid that and start my Leopard partition to boot without any prompt?

-Nishad

Hey to all and thanks for all your replies!

Really strange to hear about FAT/FAT32 problem and small drives...

I got 2 flash drives, both 2GB one FAT32 partitions, formated with XP.

trauma23, im using HDD emulation mode.

nishadks, dunno about it... :\ But ill check this out...

Hey to all and thanks for all your replies!

Really strange to hear about FAT/FAT32 problem and small drives...

I got 2 flash drives, both 2GB one FAT32 partitions, formated with XP.

trauma23, im using HDD emulation mode.

nishadks, dunno about it... :\ But ill check this out...

SOLVED

with <key>Quiet Boot</key> <string>Yes</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Thanks...

-Nishad

• 2 weeks later...

hello wondering if anyone can tell me why this method is not working for me. I have a working copy of 10.5.4 installed from dfe boot disk and I am currently booting from the dvdrom with no problems. I am running on a asus p5w dh. I have taken and formated my usb drive to fat32 using vmware and windows vista. Then I open my boot cd which is packed using the galaxy method and drag and drop the intrd.img on to my flash drive. then reboot and everytime i get just a blinking line. I have tried fat and fat32. Also I am using the pre-made download from post 1 in the topic. Does it have anything to do with my files being packed as an mkext? Seems to me like it is not booting at all. I do have it set as my first boot drive in bios.

Thanks

hello wondering if anyone can tell me why this method is not working for me. I have a working copy of 10.5.4 installed from dfe boot disk and I am currently booting from the dvdrom with no problems. I am running on a asus p5w dh. I have taken and formated my usb drive to fat32 using vmware and windows vista. Then I open my boot cd which is packed using the galaxy method and drag and drop the intrd.img on to my flash drive. then reboot and everytime i get just a blinking line. I have tried fat and fat32. Also I am using the pre-made download from post 1 in the topic. Does it have anything to do with my files being packed as an mkext? Seems to me like it is not booting at all. I do have it set as my first boot drive in bios.

Thanks

I have same motherboard as you and its working perfectly 10.5.4. You need to change more than the boot order on our motherboard's. What you need to do is go into your bios and select the advance menu, then select usb configuration menu, then usb mass storage device configuration menu, then change the emulation type to Hard Disk. Pics included. let me know how you get on :rolleyes:

post-203626-1217298126_thumb.jpgpost-203626-1217298152_thumb.jpgpost-203626-1217298170_thumb.jpg

post-203626-1217298189_thumb.jpgpost-203626-1217298223_thumb.jpg

I have same motherboard as you and its working perfectly 10.5.4. You need to change more than the boot order on our motherboard's. What you need to do is go into your bios and select the advance menu, then select usb configuration menu, then usb mass storage device configuration menu, then change the emulation type to Hard Disk. Pics included. let me know how you get on :D

Hmmm dunno that is the first thing that i did. does it matter if everything that is in intrd.iso is packed using the galaxy loader with and mkext instead of all the individual d kext files I am using the file from post 409 in the p5w dh under hardware packed by macita.

Thanks

newbie's ask...

with this method i don't need to install pcefi or chameleon efi? :(

and can i put these files into a tiny partition to make it work the same? i don't want there to be a stick on my laptop... :)

Awesome! :(

So if I wanna try this out, I'd better use this method rather than install the Chemeloen?(This way is better, I suppose?)

And do I still have to do some post-patch or there are already modified kexts needed included in the boot-132 loader? :(

For all of those having boot errors --> set bios mode to USB = HD/FIXED DISK emulation

and to fix the kernel not found errors, rename the files from ISOLINUX.* to SYSLINUX.*

It fixed my issues..

Abysmal

Hi,

I've also installed it to a small partition on one of my harddisks and it works but it is very slow, much slower than booting from the CD. I've tried an internal harddisk, an external harddisk and an USB-stick but all three boot considerably slower then booting from the CD. Is there something I can do about it?

Harbri

Mobo: MSI P965 Platinum

Proc: Intel Core2Duo E6400

Grfx: Geforce 8800GTS 640

Harddisk: Samsung Spinpoint 500Gb

I imaged the retail DVD to a USB drive, and ensured it was working as a boot device by testing it on a macbook. Is there any way to boot off a USB drive instead of the internal one using the USB bootloader?

EDIT: Also, is there any programs on windows that can edit the initrd.img file?

I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I had a few more questions:

1) Should extensions from the initrd image show up in the Extensions list in System Info? I'm trying to fix my PS2 trackpad, and I know PS2 support is loaded, but I don't see any of the PS2 extensions (ACPIPS2Nub, PS2Controller,etc) listed in the Extensions list.

2) Are there any permissions requirements for the initrd image? I was adding IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to the image, and it won't appear from there, however it works fine when I add it to my regular /System/Library/Extensions folder. I even got it working in the regular Extensions folder, then moved it to initrd, but it still doesn't seem to want to work.

Should extensions from the initrd image show up in the Extensions list in System Info? I'm trying to fix my PS2 trackpad, and I know PS2 support is loaded, but I don't see any of the PS2 extensions (ACPIPS2Nub, PS2Controller,etc) listed in the Extensions list.

Kext for trackpad and keyboad are plugins of ApplePS2Controller.kext

So you will see them in ApplePS2Controller.kext/Plugins

Solution for who copied the AppleACPIPlatform.kext for pen and exactly thus it does not obtain to use Keyboard mouse PS2 and the system does not restart.

In USB BOOT-132 the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and its plugins I had that to modify the number of the version in the archives info for a higher version of the one than of the system. Without the modification the system ignored of pendrive for being old version.

Sorry! Translator by Wiget Leopard

stickpin

Just want to let you know that I am using the usb stick method to boot all reg mac bootable DVD/CD/USB on my laptop to take care of things. Just boot the usb. exchange or select boot device and voila. Save a lot of time!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE EFFORT

I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I had a few more questions:

1) Should extensions from the initrd image show up in the Extensions list in System Info? I'm trying to fix my PS2 trackpad, and I know PS2 support is loaded, but I don't see any of the PS2 extensions (ACPIPS2Nub, PS2Controller,etc) listed in the Extensions list.

2) Are there any permissions requirements for the initrd image? I was adding IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to the image, and it won't appear from there, however it works fine when I add it to my regular /System/Library/Extensions folder. I even got it working in the regular Extensions folder, then moved it to initrd, but it still doesn't seem to want to work.

I have posted a solution to that here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=520

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I used this method to boot mt ECS 945GCT 1333 board with the retail DVD. Works great...

The only thing is that it takes a LONG time at the "loading initrd.img" stage. I have tried with 3 different drives and they all run at the same slow speed. The CD zips right along. Does anyone know why this might happen and if there is anything I can do to speed it up?

M

• 2 weeks later...

update: tried this method & it's really awesome. tnx a lot stickpin for this great shared knowledge.

the thing is, the ALCinject & AppleHDA kexts (for my audio) and the NVkush (for my graphics/video) that i put in the initrd didn't seem to be loaded. is there a way to load them without putting them in the /S/L/Extensions so retail leopard install is "freshly vanilla"?

p.s. - steps taken:

to follow this guide, i've erased my whole hdd. made 2 GUID partitions. installed vista on 1st partition. prepared the usb-boot-disk. installed retail leopard. updated to 10.5.4 but w/out the audio working yet and the display is at 1024x768. waiting for reply/advice on this.

update: i can boot also to the installed vista. the usb bootloader cannot see the vista partition but w/out the usb bootloader, my pc automatically boots to vista. :D

tnx in advance to anyone who has the knowledge & generous enough to share it. ;)

update: tried this method & it's really awesome. tnx a lot stickpin for this great shared knowledge.

the thing is, the ALCinject & AppleHDA kexts (for my audio) and the NVkush (for my graphics/video) that i put in the initrd didn't seem to be loaded. is there a way to load them without putting them in the /S/L/Extensions so retail leopard install is "freshly vanilla"?

p.s. - steps taken:

to follow this guide, i've erased my whole hdd. made 2 GUID partitions. installed vista on 1st partition. prepared the usb-boot-disk. installed retail leopard. updated to 10.5.4 but w/out the audio working yet and the display is at 1024x768. waiting for reply/advice on this.

update: i can boot also to the installed vista. the usb bootloader cannot see the vista partition but w/out the usb bootloader, my pc automatically boots to vista. :wacko:

tnx in advance to anyone who has the knowledge & generous enough to share it. :D

There is no way yet, to override AppleHDA.kext... i replaced mine too... the only kext replaced at my installation... try to use efi-string for your audio and video cards, then you dont need injectors.... this is what i did...

Enjoy...

p.s. im just back from honeymoon, so ill do more research later... ;)

There is no way yet, to override AppleHDA.kext... i replaced mine too... the only kext replaced at my installation... try to use efi-string for your audio and video cards, then you dont need injectors.... this is what i did...

Enjoy...

p.s. im just back from honeymoon, so ill do more research later... :)

we definitely missed u stickpin. :( & u'd definitey be needing at least another day to ease off the hang-over. :D hehe...

anyways, already got the natit.kext loaded together w/ the usb-boot-132 loader (w/c i now have in a partition of my hdd). the problem is, after the grey apple bootscreen, my display/monitor goes to a 2-minute sleep before it displays my desktop. would u happen to know what's causing it?

another thing, is there a way to automatically boot to a particular partition?

I can't get this to work. Admittedly I haven't followed the steps in the first post, I just downloaded the pre-prepared files linked later in this thread. Unless someone has an all OSX way to do this I'll fire up my XP machine tomorrow and create the files per the instructions.