Good News for who want to build a cheaper Leopard Hackintosh

Iceman

226 posts in this topic

Often doubled pci riser cards burn the entire mobo.. it's not a happy choice cause pci bus is wired somehow differently on any southbridge nowadays ;)

out of curiosity, where did you read this from?

I'm wondering about making making a little farm of these for rendering purposes. Would it be cost effective?

They don't have much processing power so you have to wonder, cause you can get cheaper mobo+CPU combos the thing about this is the size and lack of noise/heat so makes a nice desktop system but I dont know if I would make a system that goes in the closet with this one.

I installed 10.5.0 on the drive from my retail DVD using my MacBook Pro, then upgraded the install to 10.5.4 using the update packages from Apple. I patched the install with the few critical patched kexts from the Retail Install guide on this forum, then installed Chameleon using the installer. This was done using MBR as I was not able to get the system to recognize the drive as bootable under GPT/GUID using Chameleon or PC EFI 8. Still working on that.

I have the same problem. GPT HDD won't boot. Anyone else? Or could anyone confirm if this board doesn't GUID Partition Table? I couldn't find any writings about this board with regards to it's support to different partition tables.

I emailed Intel... haven't got any response. It'd be just a matter of YES or NO from them, but haven't got any.

This is a great board/proc. If you can get a decent mini-like casing, a bluetooth dongle+bluetooth remote, then AppleTV on steriods!

I've installed a retail leo and it's almost perfect (not virgin/vanila = dsmos.kext, applesmbios.kext, AppleAzalia, FrameBuffer)

virgin AppleSMBIOS thinks i've got a 4GHz Proc (4GHz Atom! wow!)

RetailLeo_Atom_4gb.png

HT is working. As you can see in the screenshot. Playing a 720p HD movie looks very normal.

720p_QT_only.jpg

720_sysmon_actual.jpg

Am just curious... anyone having probs with flash drives? Cant seem to work.. usb mouse and keyboards do though.... Kalyway 10.5.2

I've got no problem with USB Flash drive. In fact i've used flash drive to install the virgin (almost) Leopard. Don't know with Kalyway 10.5.2

I have the same problem. GPT HDD won't boot. Anyone else? Or could anyone confirm if this board doesn't GUID Partition Table? I couldn't find any writings about this board with regards to it's support to different partition tables.

I was able to solve this. See these posts in the tutorial for this board:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=812713

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=822612

Basically, you need to:

1. Upgrade the BIOS to version 0067 using the utility from Intel (check in BIOS setup to make sure yours is out of date first, though).
  2. Partition the drive using GPT/GUID
  3. Install the latest version of Chameleon EFI using the installer (Google search if you don't have it).
  4. Set first partition active using fdisk (instructions linked in 2nd post above).
  5. Boot up!

I've learned it on along those many years employed in computer workshop.. we burnt some mobos trying this.. belive me :D

I am glad I didn't believe you, I have a 2 slot riser card working with DLink 1G Ethernet in one slot and a Roswell NEC based firewire card in the second slot. Both working perfectly...

I used this riser card if anyone is interested. The key thing is that the riser card has a jumper and comes with some instructions to use a software which is not included, anyway I kept changing the jumper positions until the system booted and both cards worked. for most positions the system didn't post, in one position the system booted but the second card wasnt working. The jumper sets the irq for the second card.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/pci201_32

I am glad I didn't believe you, I have a 2 slot riser card working with DLink 1G Ethernet in one slot and a Roswell NEC based firewire card in the second slot. Both working perfectly...

I used this riser card if anyone is interested. The key thing is that the riser card has a jumper and comes with some instructions to use a software which is not included, anyway I kept changing the jumper positions until the system booted and both cards worked. for most positions the system didn't post, in one position the system booted but the second card wasnt working. The jumper sets the irq for the second card.

Happy for you :D

what case are you using? i was thinking of using a APEX MD-100

Happy for you :)

sounds like you just didn't know what you were doing back then

sounds like you just didn't know what you were doing back then

You were just lucky... another riser model could burn your hardware...

and one thing more.. if you are so knowledged, why do you keep asking in forums?

happy for u :)

You were just lucky... another riser model could burn your hardware...

and one thing more.. if you are so knowledged, why do you keep asking in forums?

happy for u :P

what other riser model?

what other riser model?

We bought several cinese unbranded models from ingrammicro.. failure rate was over 70%. Customer wasn't so happy when we told him that our blind installation destroyed more than half of the computers.

But blind installation is much cheaper u know :) ; we were insured fortunately

Hi people,

I am here to let you know my nice experience with a recent mobo i bought.

It is the Intel D945GCLF

D945GCLF_sm.jpg

I payed it 54€ (here in Italy, i don't know how do you spend where you live...)

This mobo is a Mini-itx 17cmx17cm and has:

Integrated Intel® Atom 1.6ghz (HT) processor

Realtek ALC662 audio

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Six USB 2.0 ports

Two SATA ports

One parallel ATA IDE interface

I used Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2.

The installation was perfect and after reboot, the system started with sound even with QE/CI enabled (presentation video and music worked).

Everything work out of the box! Incredible!

Now i am really happy because with onle 54€ + 16€ (1gb ram) = 70€ i got a PERFECT Leopard machine!

Now i am backuping my installation with Time Machine... believe me, incredible!

I am using EyeTV with my Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T XS tv dongle, and it works like a charm! (analog even digital)

Obvious, it is not like a core2duo 2.66... but it did his job like never expected from what i hear around... in internet (people said that Atom is a bad cpu... i don't think so... now!)

Everyone should try this mobo... and i think the price is really not the limit!

I am entusiast!

Bye :)

P.s. A thing i forgot: sleep works! Amazing... :D

I have the same board and tried to install iATKOS v4i - 10.5.4 but it just keeps rebooting. You say u installed Kalyway 10.5.2, what selections did you choose and did you do anything to the Bios? I have sata drives only. Any help would be great.

I have the same board and tried to install iATKOS v4i - 10.5.4 but it just keeps rebooting. You say u installed Kalyway 10.5.2, what selections did you choose and did you do anything to the Bios? I have sata drives only. Any help would be great.

what case do you use and do you use any pci cards?

what case do you use and do you use any pci cards?

I'm using a Apex MI-100 case.

No PCI

what case are you using? i was thinking of using a APEX MD-100

I used APEX MD-100. It is beautiful case and I love it. I had 2 problems with it:

1. This is even before I added the additional cards etc, the MB just wouldnt start, the PS is rated at 60W but it does'nt supply enough amps at startup to boot this MOBO. I had to spend another 50 and get a PICO PSU. The external brick is fine, I am using it with the Pico, its the interanal DC-DC paft that didnt work. Actually that works fine too with another via mobo I have, it just doesnt fire up this mobo.

2. it is impossible to put additional cards on this mobo without a riser and it doesnt come with it, even if you want to get one card you have to get a riser that will tilt it 90 degrees or dremeled, I orginally dremeled since the gigbit ether net was not part of the original plan. But hings are still tight, I had to shorten the legs on the metal backpanel of both the cards to get them to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

My system, same as Iceman's, works great with a SATA optical drive and an ATA HD with Kalyway 10.5.2. I have a 500 watt power supply.

Today I installed a SATA HD and installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on it successfully. It booted fine from the SATA HD. Then I shut the computer down and plugged the ATA HD in, and now the computer boots from it instead even though I have set the SATA HD as the first boot in BIOS. Looking at the System folder of the SATA HD, it is no longer "Blessed".

Is this a normal thing? If not, what is the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, except that after install, when it keeps rebooting, turn the PC OFF, then back on and you're set :rolleyes:

Dunno why, but it works.