Good News for who want to build a cheaper Leopard Hackintosh

Iceman

226 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I would like to use the MB Intel D945GCLF2 as media player with eyetv, someone has try the performance with 1080p video?

Have you same suggest about a nice/chip/small case to use?

Thanks Pippo

Hi,

Can you do me a favor? Please try XBench and provide me with the overall scoring?

Thanks

Came across this thread and thought I'd throw up the XBench for my D945GCLF2 Hackintosh. See attached.

Also, this config has got HT enabled, which explains the presence of 4 threads. Haven't tested XBench without HT yet but suspect the possibility of slighty higher scores.

D945GCLF2.txt

Came across this thread and thought I'd throw up the XBench for my D945GCLF2 Hackintosh. See attached.

Also, this config has got HT enabled, which explains the presence of 4 threads. Haven't tested XBench without HT yet but suspect the possibility of slighty higher scores.

Could you try the mb with Quick time player and with 1080p or 720p avi? what's happen ? the frame drop down?

Thanks

720p and 1080p does not run good.. this board is not good at all for HTPC

I already tested out 720 trailers of apple trailers site and its all good with the cpu @ 50% with great frames, remember this is the graphic card that comes with mac mini intel gm950.

With 1080p videos it plays it but not enterily flawless, sometimes with lot of action on the screen you loose some frames but the cpu isnt at 100% full load, overall good mb for viewing some axxo movies :D and some 720.

5 stars board from me (D945GCLF2)

D945GCLF2 working out of the box.

Folks, i've just installed Iatkos on the D945GCLF2 board.

I've not selected anything in the options and everything ( display, nic, restart and sleep ) works out of the box.

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade to 10.5.5 ( using Ainsi keyboard )?

Regards

i made it with this update-guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

I use the D945GCLF2 and iAtkos

Thanks schroepfer,

Not sure to understand this guide....i'll read more on it.

Once you did your update, was everything working ( full QE, restart, sleep, NIC ) ? did you have to manually patch something after?

Please let me know

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
This is a really sweet little board; thanks IceMan for the tip! I bought this to setup primarily as a headless fileserver, so video performance wasn't a big concern (the VGA adapter is one of the two downsides to this board). My hardware configuration is:

D945GCLF

PicoPSU 90 power supply (tiny and extremely efficient) running off a 12V AC-DC power brick

1GB Kingston RAM

Rosewill RC-400-LX gigabit LAN card (built-in 10/100 is the other downside to the board)

1TB WD GreenPower HD (low heat/power consumption)

The whole thing cost under $360, shipping included, and over half of that was just the hard drive. This would be an extremely cheap system if you already have a disk or don't need as much storage. I'm building my own case, but you can get a cheap ITX case with 200w power supply for a few dollars more than the PicoPSU, so a complete system wouldn't be much more than mine.

My goal here was something similar to but much more powerful and faster than a TimeCapsule. So far it looks like this does the trick, albeit without the 802.11n wireless router, but I already have one. I was also trying to keep it as energy efficient as possible, which was the thinking behind the PicoPSU and low-power variable speed hard disk. The board could be more energy efficient, but it's not too bad compared to other boards that will run OS X. In all, the system uses 30 watts at idle according to my Kill-a-Watt. Unfortunately, sleep does not currently work (actually it does, but the system draws about as much power in sleep as when awake, so something isn't shutting down) but I'm sure there's a fix out there. Once it does, I'll be able to sleep the system most of the time and use Wake On Lan to bring the system up only when needed.

I installed 10.5.0 on the drive from my retail DVD using my MacBook Pro, then upgraded the install to 10.5.4 using the update packages from Apple. I patched the install with the few critical patched kexts from the Retail Install guide on this forum, then installed Chameleon using the installer. This was done using MBR as I was not able to get the system to recognize the drive as bootable under GPT/GUID using Chameleon or PC EFI 8. Still working on that.

This thing is actually pretty fast. I haven't tried to do anything particularly taxing yet, but the interface is snappy and it runs Safari plenty quick for daily browsing. I'll post some network disk speed tests once I get a chance as that's my main concern for the system. The only other problem I'm having is getting screen sharing to work -- it kernel panics whenever I try to connect. Will post if I find the fix; has anyone else had this problem with this board?

Hi you wrote that "This was done using MBR as I was not able to get the system to recognize the drive as bootable under GPT/GUID using Chameleon or PC EFI 8. Still working on that." so on this motherboard is impossible to have GUID partition scheme? because me too I'm unable to boot without the DVD... I will try MBR as you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!!

My mainboard Died today :thumbsup_anim: !! my fan on the video card start making the sounds a dieing person would make. so i have no video on boot!! good thing is there sending me a new one!! so be for warned if you fan sounds like hell call Intel ASAP!!

Let you guys know how it goes! :) !

I just ordered up the D945GCLF2, I had a D945GCLF a couple months ago and it worked awesome. Actually sold that setup for a fair profit. This one is going in place of a stubborn AMD setup in my wife's Dell. I plan to put iATKOS 5i on it, my old setup worked great with iATKOS 1.0ir3, so I imagine 5i will go onto it no problem. I also really really like how 5i works on my primary hackintosh box..

Hi guys, I have:

Intel D945GCLF

Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS S-ATA 1Tb

ASUS WL-138G

and I cant install MacOS on this configuration :( Please help me.

I try to install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 without any fixes selection. It installed, but when I boot it I have a kernel panic and see a disabled logo :(

Then I try once more, I format the partition in Mac OS Extended (Journaled ... ). Try to select ICH Fix, Audio ALC 662 Fix, GMA 950 Fix and some soft. Then I install it and boot, but I see a kernel panic too :( It ask me to reboot the PC :( I dont know what to do :( Can you help me and write some tutorial, what fixes I should check in iDeneb or maybe I should use another hackintosh? 

P.S: I have 1680x1050x32 native resolution of my monitor, can Intel GMA 950 support this?

Thanks and sorry for bad english, i'm from Russia  :)

WooHoo! I just installed iATKOS 5i onto my board. Worked like a freaking champ! First try, EVERYTHING worked. I used PCEFIv9, I used EFI strings for the GMA950, I selected Intel VE/100 or something like that for network. It booted up with Core Image/Quartz Extreme both fully working, sound was working, the onboard NIC was working. Astrounding! It was stuck at 1024x768 which was kind of amazing since the video was working so perfectly otherwise, but booting with "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" fixed it, that's the resolution of the screen I have on that system. I'll add it to the boot plist and be very very happy with this system. I already ran through all the updates Apple offered me, no problems at all. Thank you iATKOS! What a damned fine distro.

I went back through the install to document the choices I picked in the "Customize" install.. Here's what works:

• iATKOS 5i Main System (default)
  • Bootloader - PC EFI V9 (default)
  • X86Patches
  • -- Decrypter
  • ---- Apple Decrypt (default)
  • -- SMBIOS drivers
  • ---- SMBIOS-EFI (default)
  • -- Disabler.kext (default)
  • -- ACPI
  • ---- Stock ACPI Modified (you have to choose this one)
  • Drivers
  • -- VGA
  • ---- Intel
  • ------ EFI String for Intel (select this as well)
  • -- System
  • ---- SATA
  • ------ Intel SATA (select this one)
  • ---- NTFS-3G (at some point, you'll regret it if you don't select this one)

That's it! Select those, install (make sure the drive was formatted GUID), and reboot. Make sure the DVD is removed from the drive before you try to boot, or it will kernel panic. If it does kernel panic, remove the DVD, reboot, you'll be fine.

Software update, select everything, you'll be fine.

Issues I've found.. Sleep does not work, not even monitor sleep! From what I have read, the EFI string for the GMA950 has 2 issues, sleep is one of them, the other is resolutions. It's stuck at 1024x768 normally, I was able to feed it "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" in my boot string and get it up to the resolution of the monitor I have connected to it. If that doesn't work for you, you may be stuck with using the other GMA950 drivers in the installer. Those other drivers will probably fix the sleep issue too.

Surprises: Sound worked right of the box. Not too surprising actually, considering my last Atom desktop system (single core), with iATKOS 1.0ir3 had working sound OOTB as well.

System Profiler shows QE/CI working properly, even after the 10.5.6 update. System Monitor shows 4 CPU cores..

Of note: I only used SATA drives. I don't know if PATA will work at all.

I hope this helps the Newb crowd.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, you have to select some different options if you want sleep to work. I keep meaning to go back into the installer and figure out which options I ended up settling on. I re-installed about 10 times trying different options trying to get sleep to work. The options I listed above, you won't even get functional monitor power save.. I also ended up chosing different GMA950 drivers, which gave me full choice of resolution and even identified my monitor by name. But does cause minor minor artifacting.

Has anybody added PCI card for better video? Both for better video playback and for HDMI or at least DVI output?

And perhaps I should clarify, I'd like to find a low-profile card so I can use it in a small case. Asking a lot, I'm sure, but it'd be nice.

I guess the important question to ask, though, is will the OS support any video hardware that would help improve 720p and 1080i playback?