[Solution] Unknown AHCI, Orange Disk Icons in 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 for Intel and JMicron

Gujal

152 posts in this topic

Hi guys i'm stuck with a problem in my new hackbook (hp pavilion dv5-1170el.)

Installed kext provided in this topic correctly BUT

the problem i'm facing is with this damn Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S SATA drive.

It forced me to install from an usb dvd rom since kept stopping at the still waiting for root device error plus it's not even recognized by leopard.

when i put it off the notebook System Profiler updates informations about Serial-ATA correctly showing my hard drive and the four port ich9 controller.

But with the Optiarc plugged Profiler says "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices"

So my question is that simple:

Which SATA DVD RW drive should i buy to make it work under leopard?

thanks.

Worked beautifully for me - thanks!!

On my rig I noted a slight decrease in my XBench score, but aesthetically it's worth it.

It is the exact binary that Apple included in 10.5.6, so xbench decrease is not related to the kext, as xbench gives slightly different score every time it is run. All I have done is added the definitions in the Info.plist file

Here is the modified Intel Matrix v8 driver to support AHCI on most ICHx. This works fine for XP 32 bit

Please Gujal, I have a MoBo Intel SE7525GP2, chipset E7525 and 2 Xeon, my ICH is ICH5R, can I use the Intel Matrix Driver ?

Thanks

Please Gujal, I have a MoBo Intel SE7525GP2, chipset E7525 and 2 Xeon, my ICH is ICH5R, can I use the Intel Matrix Driver ?

Thanks

Are you asking for a Windows Driver in a MAC Forum :)

Intel Matrix Driver is for Desktop boards. What you have is a Server Board and I am not sure if it supports AHCI Mode. It does support SATA RAID Mode and the driver is available on Intel Site.

Serial ATA RAID Driver for Windows* [iCH5R_W2003_W2K_SATA_RAID.EXE] (466KB) 4.2.0624.2005

Intel® ICH5-R/S Serial ATA RAID Management Utility [sATA_WIN_RAID_UTIL.EXE] (3344KB) 4.1.100

Are you asking for a Windows Driver in a MAC Forum :)

Intel Matrix Driver is for Desktop boards. What you have is a Server Board and I am not sure if it supports AHCI Mode. It does support SATA RAID Mode and the driver is available on Intel Site.

Serial ATA RAID Driver for Windows* [iCH5R_W2003_W2K_SATA_RAID.EXE] (466KB) 4.2.0624.2005

Intel® ICH5-R/S Serial ATA RAID Management Utility [sATA_WIN_RAID_UTIL.EXE] (3344KB) 4.1.100

Yes, to install MAC OS and I learn here that AHCI is more easy , in my system I have many problem and so I ask you but

very sorry to disturb

thanks anyway

I looked at the code and there´s no evidence there that JMicronATA supports SATA mode operation. I think it will work with SATA as IDE for the JMicron SATA port only. As far as I know, every motherboard with JMicron chipset has two SATA controllers, one Intel ICHX and the JMicron, which supports IDE too.

About the Info.plist files, you can use any Info.plist file with my patched JMicronATA. The one it has is the one that XCode generates. I´ve only modified the source to use 64 bit memory adresses (needed to address more than 4 gb of RAM), so there´s no problem with dev ids and that stuff. Just modify the plist as needed, but don´t change the dependencies section. You may remove and modify ids or classes, but you cant add any new dev id because the kext itself checks for devices ids and compatibility. If u want to try a new devid, just ask and i´ll add it into the kext to try it.

The problem is not with device ids but with class ids, as it is, if the JMicron controller is in AHCI or RAID mode, there is 2 Jmicron devices instead of one, and the JMicron driver will be loaded for both, causing crashes (as it cannot drive the AHCI/RAID controller).

The same problem exists with the AppleViaATA driver, which contain JMicron device ids but considering them as SATA devices only. They cant be used together without conflicts unless we fix the plist.

I believe I have found the reason why the AHCI fix clash with the JMicronATA. The JMicron chipset contains 2 controllers, a SATA controller and a PATA controller, detected as 2 independent devices, but both of then share the same vendor id and device id, they differentiate only in the class id.

But the AppleAHCIport.kext and most of the available JMicronATA.kext try to match them using only the device id so I believe thats the reason why they are clashing.

I have modified the plist for both drivers to include the right class and I think they should work now. I have tried in my system and it seems to work without crashes, but I only have a DVD IDE device and no SATA devices. I have tried setting the controller in the three posible modes in the BIOS and it seems to get matched right in all three modes, but I'm not sure if the SATA ports will work when set to IDE compatibility mode.

Also note my mobo has a JMicron JMB363 chipset, so I used the class id for that particular 363 chipset, I havent checked if the other JMicron variants have different class id's but I presume they are all the same.

Info.plist for the AppleAHCIPort.kext in the AHCIfixv2 with 10.5.6 kexts package in this thread:

AppleAHCIPort.Info.plist.zip

Info.plist for the JMicronATA.kext v0.6 available in darwin-ata page and discussed in this thread about ATA drivers patched for over 4 Gb memory:

JMicronATA.Info.plist.zip

Please try it if you can, specially if you have SATA devices plugged in.

The above looked like it applied to me after I had tried everything else in this thread and still had KPs or no boot. I've posted what I ran into here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...d=1045801

Can some of the geniuses here take a peek at that and see if there's anything I'm doing blatantly wrong?

Appreciate your time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Asus Maximus Formula X38 chipset ICH9. WIll this work for me or do I have to mod the Device IDs in the plists or just go with your "AHCIfixv2_with_10.5.6_kexts__corrected_.zip"

EDITED A FEW HOURS LATER:

AS soon as I got home I installed the two kexts and it fixed the problem on myMB so I guess I answered my own question.

SO whenever OSX does updates like security or Java updates or software updates everythign still works, its when it usually does and OSX revision you end up with problems so I saved a COPY of my Extensions folder in case a software revision overwrites a kext to fix a problem and ends up breaking again because of the update.

I am almost Vanilla except I am using the Voodoo Kernel and some Injectors.

Thanks

Worked perfect for me on xXx 10.5.6 Gigabyte X48-DQR

now I can see ICH9R and the disks are not orange!!

I installed the kext with OSX86Tools.

thank you, thank you!!!

eSATA HotSwap is not wokring for me in 10.5.6 after the iPC OSx86 PPF5 FInal Install. Left out all chipsets and installed the two kexts from the latest version here.

I will try another ID possible under IOPCIPrimeryMatch

What about the info.plist under IOAHCIFamily and the kext inside there IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext.

What do I mod in that info.plist?

Do you have Screenshots of these Mods I can see real quick.

Sorry to bother thanks.

• 1 month later...
eSATA HotSwap is not wokring for me in 10.5.6 after the iPC OSx86 PPF5 FInal Install. Left out all chipsets and installed the two kexts from the latest version here.

I will try another ID possible under IOPCIPrimeryMatch

What about the info.plist under IOAHCIFamily and the kext inside there IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext.

What do I mod in that info.plist?

Do you have Screenshots of these Mods I can see real quick.

Sorry to bother thanks.

eSATA hotswap will work only if you see orange icons (yes, the same everybody has been avoiding and fixing).

one cannot hotswap an internal drive.

to "fix" this, use only modified AHCIport kext, not the blockstorage one.

or you can use attached injector kext only, so you don't need to remove the original kext.

AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip

• 1 month later...
10.5.7 version?

I'm having reboot/shutdown trouble, this kext is under investigation...

Thanks!! :angel:

I edited the IOAHCIFamily.kext to put the internal drives back using the version of the Info.plist that needed to be changed from 10.5.7 along with the AppleAHCIPort.kext contained in the .zip to which I added all the ID's that were missing from the old version as well.

AHCIFixICH10.zip

no problems here after updating to 10.5.7

Only needed to restore AppleHDA from 10.5.6.

AHCIPortInjector working ok.

S3 sleep still works with OpenHaltRestart.kext.

marionez, probably one of your kexts doesn't have proper power management included.

you should test which one it is, and try to find an alternative.

• 1 month later...
eSATA hotswap will work only if you see orange icons (yes, the same everybody has been avoiding and fixing).

one cannot hotswap an internal drive.

That's wrong. I hotswap my internal drives all the time. All you have to do is eject the drive in disk utility first. That is one the reasons the industry is going AHCI and SATA=hotswap.

I hotswap my internal drives all the time

you probably meant you hotswap external drives connected via esata, but marked as internal. right?

or do you actually open the case and replace your internal sata drive?

and yes, i could UNmount esata drives with blockstorage fix as well, but if i then plugged another drive in the same esata port - it wouldn't mount (needs to be connected on boot)

well, at least it didn't work for me, and judging by Info.plist inside the LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext - it shouldn't for anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I use iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6. and iATKOS V7 and i tried with cpus=1 -v -s -f all not working, it's stuck in that massage.

ApplePS2Trackpad: synaptics Touchpad v6.5

Error: firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Still waiting for root device

My specs is

Hp pavilion laptop DV5-1135ee intel core 2 DUo p8400 2.26 GH with 3 GB ram, Nivida geforece 9600M GT.

i have ICH9M chipset in my laptop and I don't have AHCI control in Bios setting very basic setting like password and boot order

this my device hardware ID

my Control is

IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS

Intel ich9m E/m SATA AHCI Control

hardware id

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&SUBSYS_3603103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_010601

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106

print screen for my device manger

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...fa71e4b48a.jpg

and that one for DVD hardware ID

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...8681c8aa5c.jpg

I can't even install not booting problem is before installation window.

is there any way to fix that issue?

or successful installation with this specs?