New Security Update for Intel Macs

cavemonkey50

83 posts in this topic

no it will screw your system more, because it references the absolute address of the original binaries.

You should wait for maxxuss to release an updated cpuid patch

Is it safe to update or install other apple apps without a new cpuid patch ? itunes, quicktime, iLife, etc ...

Ah, it all works great now. Installed the Security Update, and copied over loginwindow with original.

In the System Profiler it says:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8G1454)

Kernal Version: Darwin 8.4.1

It seems to be running smoother too, not sure how a security update would make it faster, but it did :D

Intalled Update within 10.4.5 with pacifist. Skipped the logginwindow update portion of the install. Rebooted - perfect.

Thanks! This worked for me. Mounting dmg's and unzipping works.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8G1454)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.4.1

Intalled Update within 10.4.5 with pacifist. Skipped the logginwindow update portion of the install. Rebooted - perfect.

I just installed that way, and everything is working fine. In fact, some weird graphics errors I encountered have been resolved. My Xbench has remained the same.

Edit: Hmm, I just noticed something weird. Go to a page that contains a normal size Google ad box (like Maxxuss' site) in Safari. Hover your mouse over it and try to scroll. You shouldn't be able to. I didn't have that problem before.

I just installed that way, and everything is working fine. In fact, some weird graphics errors I encountered have been resolved. My Xbench has remained the same.

Edit: Hmm, I just noticed something weird. Go to a page that contains a normal size Google ad box (like Maxxuss' site) in Safari. Hover your mouse over it and try to scroll. You shouldn't be able to. I didn't have that problem before.

I see what you mean.

So wait, if you don't want your installation to get messed up you don't need to download the security update do you? It's optional right?

well yeah, you don't have to install it. but it is a critical security update, so if you plug your hackintosh into the internet I would recommend you DO install it. use the Pacifist method, works fine.

Everything works fine here. Use pacifist and skip logginwindow.

How about what I said earlier:

Hmm, I just noticed something weird. Go to a page that contains a normal size Google ad box (like Maxxuss' site) in Safari. Hover your mouse over it and try to scroll. You shouldn't be able to. I didn't have that problem before.

Can you scroll over the Google ad?

I did it this way:

1-Download this: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/sec...lientintel.html

2-Backup yor windowlogin:

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS

cp loginwindow loginwindow.backup

3-Install the update, wait untill finish, BUT DONT CLICK RESTART YET!

4-Restore windologin:

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS

rm loginwindow

cp loginwindow.backup loginwindow

reboot

How about what I said earlier:

Can you scroll over the Google ad?

I can not scroll on top of the google add. I don't know if this is normal or not. On Pricewatch when I scroll it one the collums moves sideways. It does not do it on my powerbook.

In any case it's not much of a promblem for me.

I can not scroll on top of the google add. I don't know if this is normal or not. On Pricewatch when I scroll it one the collums moves sideways. It does not do it on my powerbook.

In any case it's not much of a promblem for me.

Yeah, I just used Saft to disable Google Ads. I was just curious if it happened to be a weird fluke on my part or if it affects everyone. Now I'm curious to find out if this bug exists on real Intel Macs with the security update.

how do you use the pacifst way will it work with out puting in the login window.

Download pacificist from versiontracker. Install pacificist. Open pacifist. Open security update package in pacifist. Find where you can select which parts to install. Click to install everything except loginwindow.

Yeah. Try the new maxxuss solution.

I just redid the security update using Maxxuss' decrypted loginwindow and everything is working, except the Safari bug still exists. This leads me to believe it was there before and I never noticed it, or the bug also exists on the real macs running the 10.4.5 security update. Regardless of the Safari bug, kudos to Maxxuss for the quick binary decryption. Now I am once again running everything as up to date as the real Macs. :P

I also just redid the Security Update using Maxxuss' patch. Everything seems fine. Interestingly though, the error that he said would occur ("Mount and execute the Security Update package. After installing, it says "writing package receipt" and quits with an error. That's ok.") never happened for me. It installed fine. I don't know whether not getting an error is a problem or not? heh.