Help me get used to this, cut/paste?

mega

19 posts in this topic

I'm having a hard time adapting to osx

is there any way to make control c, v, x copy/paste/cut work in leopard like it does in windows & linux?

Any other tweaks/programs to make it behave more like windows/linux?

I'm using a standard microsoft keyboard, so no command key

So far I like it, but I'm having a hard time with these shortcuts not acting like they do at work or on other computers

i've been using doublecommand to make the alt key work, but I really need the control key to work like it does in windows, life will be so much easier

while im sure he appreciates your pointless reply, let me be more helpful:

go to system preferences, keyboard settings, and change your modifier keys to set the "control" key on your keyboard to the command key on mac. This helps make cut/paste/many other things more inuitive. Ctrl-tab is like "alt-tab" in windows now that you have changed your command key to be the control button. I set my caps lock button to be my option key because i rarely ever use caps lock. Alt is now my control key, and is used for tabbing through things in firefox, etc.

hope that helps

Wait til you see what the "Home" and "End" keys do when you're typing a line of text in just about every app imagineable. PageUp and PageDown are an adventure, too.

Windows equivalent of Home is Cmd+left arrow and End is Cmd+right arrow. After getting used to it, I actually like it a lot more than the Windows version, you end up with more options.

Wait til you see what the "Home" and "End" keys do when you're typing a line of text in just about every app imagineable. PageUp and PageDown are an adventure, too.

:(

Although I've just about got used to the cmd+left and the cmd+right I still prefer the shorter shortcut, that is Home and End.

I miss the windows ctrl+tab to move between tabs. But even though it drove me nuts the first few weeks, I find myself switching between both OSX and Windows shortcuts easily now. I actually find myself frustrated that Windows programs don't have the same uniformity/shortcuts with each other, unlike the Mac side in which every program follows the same basic guidelines.

Trust me, once you get used to it, it'll be second nature. In fact, you'll actually find the Mac shortcuts far more useful in some situations that you could never take advantage of in Windows. Just stick with it - OSX has a learning curve.

I dont use any keyboard shortcuts other than control C, X, V and alt-tab

that's it, that's all I use, and all I want to work the same in osx

and I cant figure it out

if you cant figure it out, then you didn't read my post above....

and I cant figure it out

Go to System Preferences>keyboard & Mouse>Modifier Keys and change your settings so they look like this.

picture1hl6.png

This will make the control key act like it does on Windows. Ctrl+C=Copy and Ctrl+V=Paste etc.

Ctrl+Tab is Alt+Tab

and I cant figure it out

Do what kerms said in the first response.

All you have to do is swap the modifier keys for command and control in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys button

• 2 weeks later...
Go to System Preferences>keyboard & Mouse>Modifier Keys and change your settings so they look like this.

picture1hl6.png

This will make the control key act like it does on Windows. Ctrl+C=Copy and Ctrl+V=Paste etc.

Ctrl+Tab is Alt+Tab

this does not work for me, I just booted up into leopard to try it, still makes me use the alt key instead of control key to cut/paste

this does not work for me, I just booted up into leopard to try it, still makes me use the alt key instead of control key to cut/paste

anybody? I still cant get the keyboard to work like windows/linux

• 3 weeks later...
You could try this handy little app: http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

And before somebody asks, no it's not just for Macbooks.

I tried that one too, it's not working

no matter what I install (and leopard is fresh as of yesterday) the remapping is ignored, still stuck with alt +key

I dont know how you all get used to it, my hand cramps trying to do those combo's the keys are too close together, I wish my spacebar was not so wide so I could reach the alt key with my thumb easier