Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated...

Swad

93 posts in this topic

Glad to see your back online.

BTW, I must say that I think that Apple is being extremely tolerant here.

I thought they had drawn the line at 10.4.4 and that some people here where going to face litigation.

You know, that thought had occurred to some of us as well ... but, and I'm not speculating on Apple policy here, I think the fact that we are a community of responsible people promoting healthy discussion, and the fact that we have always had a policy of keeping the site 'clean' of offending material, is what has kept us up and running. We haven't tolerated abuse of the rules, although we have relaxed them occasionally. We want that healthy discussion to continue, together with the interest in, and promotion of, all things OSX and Apple.

You'll have read my comments when I've deleted links or warned people before - I always try to sympathise with their aims but, and I'll quote this again, "We want to be here for you today, tomorrow and the future. If we allow people to break the rules, we might not be allowed to be around in the future." I think for many people who are tempted to cross the line this has been a warning. The entire staff team will be very vigilant to make sure this doesn't happen again.

-Sarah

this is my first post (i've been reading quietly in the background for weeks, i was hoping to contribute first -but maybe later).. anyway, greets to everyone and... i must re-iterate the obvious, GLAD YOUR BACK!

btw, thx to all concerned for their efforts on 'porting this over' to x86 :)

It really shouldn't be an issue for people here anyway (as a few above have posted).

All the stupid kexts and patches people seem to post here are always findable if you look. We just get an amazing # of people who are too lazy to really find something on their own.

Glad we made it back ok, hope the rest of you help us out and obey the rules. :)

Edit: Wiki closed while being cleaned, it will return too.

The wiki is just getting a thorough check for any infringements just as the forum has been, the forum was the priority but the wiki will be back again very soon. As soon as we are satisfied with it's content we'll reopen it.

Thanks to everyone for their patience while this work is carried out so we can continue to be the number one place for everything to do with Mac OS on intel. Long Live OSx86 Project.

See above. :)

I click on Wiki but it send me to the forum...

Is Wiki closed?

Yes, see Ouch!'s earlier post in this thread. We're currently working through it to make absolutely sure there are no violations of the DMCA lurking to bite us in the proverbial... :)

Edit - seems that everyone was keen to reply at once! It will be back ASAP.

Does anybody know the fate of the win2osx.net forum?

Why would you want to go there when you've got us? :)

Seriously though, I understand that their ISP took them down after getting served with a DMCA violation notice - there was a 'site suspended for breaking policy' notice posted for a few hours then they disappeared. I understand they're moving to a new host and may have already done so but are overwhelmed with traffic. I can't find them on DNS right now though.

Like we said in the linked thread, win2osx maintains that they were not served with a DMCA violation, but simply had too much server traffic to handle.

@Metrogirl...I remeber their site displaying that message before when they exceed their bandwith limit, so it might just be a coincedence. Hard to believe though, with all the links and patches posted throughout the site...way more than ours!

Glad to see you online again :angry:

meanwhile I had the idea to make a donation site for Apple, that the people who are not able to buy OSX 10.4.4. can donate, (because you simply can't buy it) :D

What do you think? Would Apple accept donations? :)

The thing that I think most people forget about is that Apple is trying VERY hard to duck the possible lawsuit that Mr. Dell had drawn up the day after Steve announced the switch.. Think about it Apple does not want to waste resources on a toe to toe fight over OS placement with Gates just to make Mr. Dell one happy man.

In view of the possible excessive censorship (imho - not posting maxxuss site's links, wiki's thorough "cleaning", "who" says "what" information is allowed or not, etc), i guess we should recall one of the recent quotes in defense of our freedom that we've all probably read - a complain by some at the chinese communist party:

"History demonstrates that only a totalitarian system needs news censorship, out of the delusion that it can keep the public locked in ignorance."

Yes, osx86project.org should and is keeping within the margins allowed by the law, but the question is where is the limit, and when will we start speaking out to protect our Political Freedom.

So, I have a question. Regarding what the authorities/lawyers/whoevers are doing to the site, I'd like to know where does our freedom of speech, congregation, etc. end:

• First Amendment – Freedom of speech, press, religion, peaceable assembly, and to petition the government.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
  • Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
  • Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Anyway, ianal so if they want to cripple the wiki and say they have the power (not the right in my opinion) to do so, fine and whatever, but I'm really upset that we don't even complain seriously about some apparent limiting of our freedoms. Like the comic says:

p160220061is.jpg

"They give us freedom of expression... ...until we speak."

Glad to see you back!

Curiously, on the day before all this happened I ordered some components to build my first "OS X on commodity Intel parts" compliant computer ( which meant a 915 chpset, GMA 900 and Celeron D 331 processor ) and because I'm truly confident on this community/project capacities I didn't cancelled my order. So let's keep with this work!

Just to have things clear, in the future if Jas, Wesley or anyone else wants to publish files and patches, what can they do since it's not allowed to publish them on the site or even a link to an external download site? At least is it possible to reference the name of their own site where the files are hosted or the most that can be said is the name of the file and we have to google it or search it on t0rr3nt sites?

If you ever consider the need to host your site outside the US ( like in Maxxuss land ) and require some reasonable donations, I'm for it.

Cheers.

Guest goodtime

Think tank...

Steve and Apple:

Please let this forum survive and allow us to start think tank for OS X and x86. You could even make it a private forum that would not be seen by the public.

Also, let the OSx86project members purchase a Geek OS X Box for $250.00. In return, Send us the Tiger 10.4.5 Intel CD without TPM or EFI drives but do include a Apple BIOS Driver and serial number linked to that person's account, add a few test video drivers that you already have when you were testing Intel builds OS X on Dell or Generic PC boxes (before Intel Mac's existed.)

Also, don't give us any support except for free 10.4.x software updates for the Geek OS X Box subscribers.

Sincerely,

goodtime

:)

Guest goodtime

Think tank... Think different. Sound familiar? Don't be like Big Blue or MicroSoft.

Please see the light. You have an reinvented an untapped market:

Tinkerers, Unix / Linux Switchers, Good Hackers, and Build your own Intel Mac Hobbyists. "Cha Ching!"

We mean you no harm. Your current market share will grow. Your current user base will not try to build their own Macs. In return, we agree not to sell our homemade Intel mac-like hot rods to the public.

Sincerely,

goodtime

p.s.

This message was written on an Intel Based Mac OS X86 PC, the hardware was not not made by the fruit company, the software was created by Apple.

java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_1')