The 99% sure way to fix SoundMax Sound (ATTENTION UPDATED AS OF 11/24/07)

Grav3Mind

160 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I had sound working on a fresh install of 10.4.8 however i found that audio out in OSX was through a different port than in Windows. This was a bit of a pain when switching OS's as i'd have to switch the plug as well.

Adding ADS70 and ADS71 to the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH within the AppleAC97Audio kext fixed the problem! Can't confirm the Mic as I don't have one hooked up.

Cheers,

IAN

OK heres how i got the audio out ports working correctly on my soundcard: ADI AD1980 on an ICH5 Northbridge. I was incorrect above, you dont want to edit the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext.

Navigate to:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext/Contents

Open the Info.plist and look for

<key>PNPVendorID</key>

below it ADD IN the following

ADS70 ADS71

Note: (ADS75 ADS74 ADS73 ADS72 should already be there)

Save the .plist, run Disk Utility and repair permissions. Delete the extensions.mkext and .kextcache and reboot. Should do the trick

IAN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi I just installed OSX 10.4.8 and running on board AD1980 AC´97.

I just went through your instructions and have the audio slider

HOWEVER

after going through the second stage, when testing the speakers it play "noise" instead of tada and any audio i try doesn't seem to come out... any idea on how to solve this?

I did the second part of the tuto and I got @noise@ from my speaker. Now when I slide the volume bar, I hear the sound but I can't hear anything in GBand or Mp3.

I have a SoundMax integreated card (ICH5 NorthBridge)

Mobo : P5p800 Se

Hi

I have a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio card, I did your steps and installed the AppleAC97Audio.kext, and no can move the slider at the top of the screen, yet when I open up Audio MIDI Setup, I get a "Output is not supported" text across the Audio Output side. Please help me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello People

I tried many different solutions for getting my SoundMax (vendor 11d4, device 1981) to work. It's a 2-channel internal solution of my Thinkpad Z61m. Also I tried the guide above, but nothing works. I don't get a volume slider, also no available Sound Devices...

I run JaS 10.4.6.

Does anybody have a clue? Tried for hours now.

Best

Ritsche

Hi, thanks for the trick. It partially worked for me.

(I ear a "noise" instead of "TADA" when I do the trick )

I can change sound volume, I can listen music in itunes, I can play divx with sound in QuickTime, mic is ok.

But I can't ear sound from GarageBand and I can't ear my interlocutor in skype.

My computer is an Optiplex 170L.

Anyone has the same problem ?

thx

Flo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys! i have been getting alot of responses to this tutorial and im very glad its still helping people :thumbsup_anim:. and if i havnt gotten to reply to your emails or pm's please forgive me as im a tad bit busy working on a project of mine. and if it has been a while since you have written me and i have failed to respond please feel free to email or pm me again! one last bit of news is ill be out of town on vacation for the next few days so if you dont get a response right away thats why. and as always please send the most detailed report as possible with any and all errors and methods youve tried so far.

Thanks again

Mac-Nipulate

another satisfied customer here

thx alot

asus p4p800 with soundmax 10.4.8 (sound worked out the box but in the mic jack and not 5.1)

finaly managed to change the speaker output, and now can get full 5.1 tested with movies

thx for the great tutorial, and i leared something new on os x

I followed it to the letter and still no sound devices show up. :-(

I'll keep trying!!!

It worked great for me, now the only problem i have is that the audio that is coming out is all choppy. It skips and is annoying. any help?

• 3 weeks later...
It worked great for me, now the only problem i have is that the audio that is coming out is all choppy. It skips and is annoying. any help?

could you possibly tell me more about your computer specs wise? specially the processor...

Help! I've tried all three of these guides, Google, and just about every other combination of setup that I can think of and still no audio. My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S150) has the AD1981B Codec Chip. Hardware specs were found on a Linux forum. I did an lspci -n from an Ubuntu live cd (no windows will be on this machine and I wiped my Gentoo install) to get the vendor and device id -- the vendor is 8086 (Intel) with a device id of 24c5. I've edited the ICH6 key on the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext file and added the ADS70 codec to the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext. I even tried one suggestion of adding an ICH7 key, which didn't work either.

I've been over this numerous times and even started over from scratch a number of times, just in case there was a typo or something. Any advice? At this point, the only audio I have is through my modem speaker.

EDIT FOR HARDWARE INFO:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

NOTE: confirmed that I have the device ID for ICH4 key set to 0x24c58086

I'm wondering if the problem isn't the modem using the same audio channel. I do have sound via the modem, but not the actual sound card. When I check the audio/midi settings, I see the AC97 Audio (PCM). Here is the hardware info for the modem:

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

Here's the output for the audio channel check:

kextstat | grep -i ac97

55 2 0x25b8a000 0xd000 0xc000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio (1.0.0) <54 11>

56 0 0x25b97000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <55 16 11>

67 0 0x203b7000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x (1.0.0) <55 11>

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to be of assistance.

Hi

Lenovo 3000 N100.

I run osx86 10.4.8 and I have no sound. Cannot move the volume bar, as I touch it, it disappears...

In the 'about this mac' the Audio appears as Intel High definition audio... the laptop specs on the web says I have:

Audio

› Integrated speakers: 2

› Speaker power rating: 2 Watts

› Volume control buttons:

› Speaker Quantity: 2 (Internal Speakers)

› Audio chipset:SoundMAX Integrated HD Audio

› Audio data width:16-bit

Loaded the kext file from macgirl, no errors when I run

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

Rebooted, still no audio device available and no sound...

Anyone can help?? thanks in advance!!

d4vide

Help! I've tried all three of these guides, Google, and just about every other combination of setup that I can think of and still no audio. My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S150) has the AD1981B Codec Chip. Hardware specs were found on a Linux forum. I did an lspci -n from an Ubuntu live cd (no windows will be on this machine and I wiped my Gentoo install) to get the vendor and device id -- the vendor is 8086 (Intel) with a device id of 24c5. I've edited the ICH6 key on the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext file and added the ADS70 codec to the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext. I even tried one suggestion of adding an ICH7 key, which didn't work either.

I've been over this numerous times and even started over from scratch a number of times, just in case there was a typo or something. Any advice? At this point, the only audio I have is through my modem speaker.

EDIT FOR HARDWARE INFO:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

NOTE: confirmed that I have the device ID for ICH4 key set to 0x24c58086

I'm wondering if the problem isn't the modem using the same audio channel. I do have sound via the modem, but not the actual sound card. When I check the audio/midi settings, I see the AC97 Audio (PCM). Here is the hardware info for the modem:

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

Here's the output for the audio channel check:

kextstat | grep -i ac97

55 2 0x25b8a000 0xd000 0xc000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio (1.0.0) <54 11>

56 0 0x25b97000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <55 16 11>

67 0 0x203b7000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x (1.0.0) <55 11>

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to be of assistance.

I seem to have the same problem, I have a Gateway M320 with Audio slider control showing when I go to MIDI and try to configure speakers the output is set to Line Out well I do not have aline out on this laptop just the built in speakers and the headphone jack, neither of which has sound, when i try to configure speakers no options work, there must be a way to tell it to send the sound to the built in speakers and not the line out?

It looks like the device ID is correct and the vendor ID, but I can not figure out the correct ADS # for this sound card. The Specs on the gateway website say the chip is a realtek but the output says it is intel see below:

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_203A161F&REV_03

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: smwdm.sys

Driver Version: 5.12.0001.4010 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 1/13/2004 18:40:28, 612032 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Analog Devices

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xB5B

Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 48000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: Not run

okay some more info:

it looks like the intel chip is 82801DB using a realtek codec of "ALC201A" not sure if this is correct, if it is what is the ADS# to enter in here? Will that make the output ports available to use? It looks like the problem lies in the fact that there is only one output and that is line out, i tested the mic and that works. Is there a way to map ports? it seems to mention a appleaudioIO but i could not make any head way with this.

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU

i got a soundmax adi ad1986a in a p5gv-mx motherboard and all i ever had was the sliding volume bars... but never had sound... if someone got the same mobo as me and got the sound working, PM me please!!!! :o