Modified BIOS to get all cores working

Kabyl

1,884 posts in this topic

Qmax download the AppleHDA Patcher program and then also if you can follow a guide on how to use a Live Linux CD such as Ubuntu to grab the Linux Codec Dump.

Here is a command that may work in the Linux terminal (this is considering that Sound works in Linux)

"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > [codec dump filename].txt"

without the quotes and just replace [codec dump filename].txt with the name of your choosing and the location of a usb drive that you have plugged, so it could be something like /mount/fat32stick/ACL662.txt

I would try that. For me I have Ubuntu installed on my drive so I just copied the file right out of /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 and pasted it into my HFS drive (without journaling so I can access it with read and write from linux).

oh yeah once you have this dump file it is as simple as dragging and droping it on the AppleHDA Patcher program and it takes care of the rest.

Thank you SO MUCH kabyl! it worked like a charm!! :)

now, time to try out the new ACPI/APIC kexts!!

If possible, like QMax, I would like to know how you fixed this too! (not that I'll understand too much of it lol)

One thing though... after I flashed the bios I get this screen on boot-up for 10-20 seconds before loading the Vista bootloader... any idea why?

post-128273-1204254532_thumb.jpg

Thanks again!

Thanks for your prompt response and I'll test it and report the result ASAP.

After flashing of new BIOS and using AppleAPICPlatform.kext and AppleACPI.kext of 10.5.1, during booting my system will hang on AppleAPICPlatform.kext/PlugIns/ 2 kexts.

Using original kexts of 10.4 8 it's normal except continued rebooting if I activate Natit.kext.

Any suggestion ?

BTW is it possible for my MSI PR600 laptop ?

Here is its new BIOS: http://download4.msi.com.tw/files/download...xe/1637_163.zip

I just tried the 10.5.2 AppleACPI and the Brazilmac AppleAPIC.... it boots fine, but my keyboard wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure it's just a small problem with the nested plugins, but I can't figure out what. Now I'm back to my old 10.4.8 kexts. Any idea how to fix this?

Also, I noticed that I keep getting messages like these:

28/02/08 10:32:26 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
28/02/08 10:32:29 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
28/02/08 10:32:31 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
28/02/08 10:32:35 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
28/02/08 10:32:41 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
28/02/08 10:32:46 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:01 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:06 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:11 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:16 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:21 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:26 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:31 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:36 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:41 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid! 
29/02/08 3:32:46 AM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid!

Disabling the LAN and firewall fixes these two problems, but I would rather be able to use them.

I really appreciate the help!

Qmax download the AppleHDA Patcher program and then also if you can follow a guide on how to use a Live Linux CD such as Ubuntu to grab the Linux Codec Dump.Here is a command that may work in the Linux terminal (this is considering that Sound works in Linux)"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > [codec dump filename].txt"without the quotes and just replace [codec dump filename].txt with the name of your choosing and the location of a usb drive that you have plugged, so it could be something like /mount/fat32stick/ACL662.txtI would try that. For me I have Ubuntu installed on my drive so I just copied the file right out of /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 and pasted it into my HFS drive (without journaling so I can access it with read and write from linux).oh yeah once you have this dump file it is as simple as dragging and droping it on the AppleHDA Patcher program and it takes care of the rest.
Thanks for your help, but I'm still trying HDAPatcher since 1.16... it patches the HDAudio.kext, but no sound.F9S it really seems the laptop with biggest problem with audio on OSX.Even in Linux I need to change a cfg file for Alsa driver, otherwise, just like in OSX, I can see mixer, different output and inpunt, but I have no sound at all from speakers or line in/out.No way using Azalia or AC97 too...Max
I get this screen on boot-up for 10-20 seconds before loading the Vista bootloader... any idea why?
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems your Asus is trying to boot from LAN.Check BIOS settings is NIC is in your boot list.Max

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems your Asus is trying to boot from LAN.Check BIOS settings is NIC is in your boot list.Max

lol

thanks for noticing that... I'm not sure why network boot is set first :P

now the only thing left is the firewire issue. I suspect it might have something to do with the new AppleSMBIOS I installed.. it's not a pressing issue, just a little annoying

Other than that, I can't seem to get the Leopard (tried BrazilMac and 10.5.2 vanilla) AppleACPI and AppleAPIC to work. It boots up but the keyboard doesn't work. Any idea how to fix this? I'm sure it's really simple.

If the Leopard ACPI and APIC kexts work, is there a way to now enable speedstep and other CPU throttling features?

lol

thanks for noticing that... I'm not sure why network boot is set first :P

now the only thing left is the firewire issue. I suspect it might have something to do with the new AppleSMBIOS I installed.. it's not a pressing issue, just a little annoying

Other than that, I can't seem to get the Leopard (tried BrazilMac and 10.5.2 vanilla) AppleACPI and AppleAPIC to work. It boots up but the keyboard doesn't work. Any idea how to fix this? I'm sure it's really simple.

If the Leopard ACPI and APIC kexts work, is there a way to now enable speedstep and other CPU throttling features?

Get the ACPIPS2Nub kext.

I will try to take a look at the FireWire issue...

Get the ACPIPS2Nub kext.

I will try to take a look at the FireWire issue...

Thanks for your help.

Using AppleACPI.kext and AppleAPICPlatform.kext of 10.4.8, my Asus F8Sa with your modified BIOS can enable dual processors working with normal audio. But when I try to activate Natit.kext it will continue re-boot by itself.

If I use ACPI/APICPlatform.kext of 10.5.1, it will hang by 2 kexts in AppleAPICPlatform.kext/PlugIns.

Any suggestion ?

I was trying to write a kext in the last 2 days (this is my first one so it's going to take more time to do it, but I'm making some progress..), I will take requests and mod more BIOSes when I get tired of reading about IOKit :D

Thanks for your help.

Using AppleACPI.kext and AppleAPICPlatform.kext of 10.4.8, my Asus F8Sa with your modified BIOS can enable dual processors working with normal audio. But when I try to activate Natit.kext it will continue re-boot by itself.

If I use ACPI/APICPlatform.kext of 10.5.1, it will hang by 2 kexts in AppleAPICPlatform.kext/PlugIns.

Any suggestion ?

You're not giving anywhere near enough information.

Using the 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 acpi & apic kexts, take a picture and attach it here.

Kabyl,It would be great to get a modded BIOS for Asus W7S if possible.Here is the link http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/W7E/W7ES303AS.zip

Thanks a lot in advance.

MaX

http://rapidshare.com/files/96093831/W7ESAS.303_mod.zip.html

Kabyl Could you please make a w7s bois thanks a lot!!hope to hear from you soon thank you again!

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/W7S/W7ES302AS.zip

Is the above newer version OK for you?

Would be great for an asus w7s modded bios, there is 2 request for it above =D

Done :P

Does this work for MSI P35 Neo2-FR mobo?

Afaik, MSI P35 based mobos only work with cpu=1 switch

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=66944

Yes, should be.

Kabyl,

Just a suggestion, maybe it would be a good idea to put all of the links to modified BIOS in the first post of this thread in an organized way so people know where to find it if you have already made the mod. That way people who have the same mobos don't have to ask you over and over! :P

Ant

Kabyl,

Just a suggestion, maybe it would be a good idea to put all of the links to modified BIOS in the first post of this thread in an organized way so people know where to find it if you have already made the mod. That way people who have the same mobos don't have to ask you over and over! :P

Ant

They can use "Search", but... maybe I will do it :o

Thanks for your prompt response and I'll test it and report the result ASAP.

After flashing of new BIOS and using AppleAPICPlatform.kext and AppleACPI.kext of 10.5.1, during booting my system will hang on AppleAPICPlatform.kext/PlugIns/ 2 kexts.

Using original kexts of 10.4 8 it's normal except continued rebooting if I activate Natit.kext.

Any suggestion ?

BTW is it possible for my MSI PR600 laptop ?

Here is its new BIOS: http://download4.msi.com.tw/files/download...xe/1637_163.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/96096743/A1637...63_mod.zip.html

Let me know how it goes..

Well done Kabyl. Glad to here that someone finally had the balls to fix those pesky bad bios' from Asus & co

I have an Asus G1S which has bios problems as well and suffers from the problems forcing you to use a single core (Just like G2S)

Therefore, if you have the time i would appreciate it if you could have a look at the llst 2 bios releases.

The latest bios fixes memory issues with 4gb ram but messes up speedstep. Therefore i think it would be good to have a mod of both (what were asus doing when they did this?)

anyway, here you go, here are the links:-

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G1S/G1S205AS.zip

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G1S/G1S300AS.zip

If i could have just one of these rigth now, the first would be cool but if i had 4gb...

Good luck with modding!!! is there a way to test the bios is good to go without flashing it?

Cheers Matey!! :( Hope this fixes linux issues as well

ps what can you fix in bios? sound, video, other things?

Hi !!

I wonder how can you mod a bios ? There is a software ? Or are you a God ?

Ho..if you could mod or tell me how to mod my bios, it's for an Asus Z99SC (A8SC motherboard) (I can't use irc sorry...)

Link to the original Bios : http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/A8E/A8SE301AS.zip

I use FCP, so both core could be very apprecied...

If you can do it... Thanks Thanks Thanks !!!!!!!!

(Sorry for bad english...)

ASUS Z99SC/A8SC - Leo 10.5.1 (Vanilla KAlyway)

* Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB - One core

* 2048MB DDR2 667MHz - working

* 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive - working with no tick tick noise (search HdAPM)

* NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G with built-in 128MB VRAM - working

* Realtek ALC 660 Sound - working (no mute&kernel panic at shutdown, but not at restart) AppleHDA here

* Intel Wireless 3965AG Wi-Fi - not working

* 8-in-1 card reader - not working

* 9 Cell Li-Ion Battery - working

* Firewire - working

* Ethernet - (working)

Here is the BIOs for Asus U6S: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/U6/U6SE204AS.zip

Thanks for your help!

ASUS U6S - Kalyway 10.5.1 + 10.5.2 Combo Update

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz - 1 core (With cpus=1) at Darwin boot

2048MB DDR2 - Working

160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive - Working

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G 128MB VRAM - Not Working (Help)

Realtek ALC880 Sound - Working (Headphone Not Working)

Intel Wireless 4965AG Wi-Fi - Not Working

8-in-1 card reader - Not Working

6 Cell Li-Ion Battery - Working (Modified PowerManagement)

Ethernet - (working)

Dear Kabyl,

Thanx in advance for your great work about bios on Asus laptop.

I'm trying to install Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 on my notebook, but as all the other people, after I reboot instead of start Creating the account I'm stuck into "Mac Framework succesfully initialized using 10485 buffer headers" errors. I put here http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/F7L/F7L203AS.zip my bios who is the actual revision downloaded from Asus website.

I hope i could enjoy the double core, and maybe I can see thru my monitor, because I must install using a vga external monitor because I got a blue screen.

Thanx a lot and keep up your great job!! :thumbsup_anim: