[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Okay, basically after about 9 tries and 6 osx re-installations in one week.. i've finally got it... now i have to write this quickly because im in a bit of a rush, i have to study for an exam tomorrow and its 2:30 in the morning.... so forgive me if i'm a bit unclear.. but i'll try my best.

Firstly thanks to the following people for providing help: JaS, lamer0 and Marcp1967.

The Guide

1. Go to /system/library/extensions

2. Find All the AppleIntel KEXT files:

- AppleIntel915.kext

- AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

3. Copy all of these to an external directory, and make a back up of them also. We need to modify them... but back them up just incase of anything.

4. right click the first kext file and go to "show package contents" then go to contents

5. right click the "Info.plist" file and go to open with --> other --> browse to "TextEdit"

6. use the search function (Applekey/Alt + F) and search for every and any value equaling to 0x25828086 or containing "2582".

7. Replace this value with "2592" and save the file.

------- Repeat steps 4 through to 7 for every kext file ----------

After this process is complete copy these files back to /system/library/extensions

8. Remove the AppleIntel830.kext file.

9. Open the terminal application and enter "sudo su", enter your password.

10. type the following in the terminal after logging in:

cd / <-- press enter

cd /system/library/extensions <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext   <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext <-- press enter

then...

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter.

11. Restart

Troubleshooting

Method One: If you are unable to start and you recieve a blue screen after Darwin has finished loading or after the grey screen with the apple logo (like me) connect an external monitor and restart. This should get you back into OSX.

Method Two (for those dual-booting):

- If you are dual booting for example xp and osx like me... try going into xp first.. and then booting into osx.. with the -f switch... and NO EXTERNAL MONITOR attached...

that should also work.. i just tried it twice.....

- In general try booting with the -f swtich....

- On a side note.. if you are experience sluggish performance.. not just on the graphical side.. but in general... make sure you repair your permissions this can be done by opening the terminal and entering the following:

sudo -s <-- Press enter

cd / <-- Press enter

diskutil repairPermissions / <-- Press enter

it might take a minute or two.. maybe more.. depending on what your file permissions look like...

I just noticed that after i did this... everything is working fine.. and not a single application has crashed...

-----------------------------

Good luck!

I hope it works for you all.

Tested and working on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the following:

Intel Mobile Centrino 1.6GHz

512 DDR2

Intel 915GM - GMA900 (128mb shared)

Philips CD/DVD combo drive

15.4" Widescreen running at 1280x800x32

Broadcom 440 Network Card (NIC)

Intel Wireless 2200 <-- [Not working]

Sigmatel AC97 Audio

Patches and method of installation are as follows:

- Native install from PearPC to Native

- Maxxuss' 0.4.1 SSE3 --> SEE2 emulation patch

PS: By request i've uploaded my kext files, and their configuration. Again place these files in the /system/library/extensions folder and go through step 10.

Removed for DMCA violation.

Well I guess it's good that an external monitor can tell me that i have QE and Core Graphics, but if my laptop's display causes Msc to hang, this could pose a little problem.

I can get it all running fine, but it hangs on boot. Yes, attaching a monitor externally does fix the problem, but now what? How do i get it to display of my laptop's screen? :D

Well I guess it's good that an external monitor can tell me that i have QE and Core Graphics, but if my laptop's display causes Msc to hang, this could pose a little problem.

I can get it all running fine, but it hangs on boot. Yes, attaching a monitor externally does fix the problem, but now what? How do i get it to display of my laptop's screen? :D

Go to the Display Preferences in System Preferences and in there you should see your two screens under a tab called "arrangement" or something, one of these screens will hav a white bar inside... move this whitebar to your latptop screen.. and then simply unplug the external monitor and select "Detect displays" this will remove the secondary display.

The only issue is.. everytime i start osx, i have to start it with an external monitor connected...

GOT IT!!!

To say the truth, I'm not sure what the problem was, but it seems to have gone away!

All I did was copied the AppleIntel830.kext back to the /system/library/extensions folder.

I think the problem had to do with the extensions.kextcache file. IF i'm not mistaken (which i probably am), that file contains the names of all the kext files n the extension folder. Putting the AppleIntel830.kext back must have triggered something.

By the way, the kext i put back was edited like all the other ones we edited. I attached it below.

Also, on bootup a message pops up about the kext. Just click ok and you should be fine. The system profiler is as before, and I'm running the gma900 driver with all coregraphics and extras supported.

In short:

Copying the file attached to this message may fix your problem, if you have one.

PS Andy4life made a little typo... the following:

"CODE

cd / <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext <-- press enter

then...

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter."

should be as so:

"CODE

cd / <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext <-- press enter

then...

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter."

He forgot the "Intel" in the last line of the code, which is pretty important!

EDIT:the file is zipped...copy the file in the archive to the /system/library/extensions folder.

[Edit - Removed attachment containing Apple copyright code.]

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0

GOT IT!!!

To say the truth, I'm not sure what the problem was, but it seems to have gone away!

All I did was copied the AppleIntel830.kext back to the /system/library/extensions folder.

I think the problem had to do with the extensions.kextcache file. IF i'm not mistaken (which i probably am), that file contains the names of all the kext files n the extension folder. Putting the AppleIntel830.kext back must have triggered something.

By the way, the kext i put back was edited like all the other ones we edited. I attached it below.

Also, on bootup a message pops up about the kext. Just click ok and you should be fine. The system profiler is as before, and I'm running the gma900 driver with all coregraphics and extras supported.

In short:

Copying the file attached to this message may fix your problem, if you have one.

PS Andy4life made a little typo... the following:

"CODE

cd / <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext  <-- press enter

then...

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter."

should be as so:

"CODE

cd / <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext  <-- press enter

then...

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter."

He forgot the "Intel" in the last line of the code, which is pretty important!

thanks for that.. i'll edit my original post.....

also i'll try to put back the 830 kext and reboot.. i doubt it will work.. but lets find out ay?

what is your system configuration?

Which patches do you have installed?

Because the new v4 sse3 patch may be a factor. I have it, and it works very well...I rebooted a few times. When i connected an external monitor, i played around with the "detect displays" option, but i had no extra displays installed at the time. That with a reboot brought me back to where i was before.

I would suggest you to try what i did:

1- restart with no extra monitors

2-if you get a blue screen with nothing happenning, restart by holding the power button or pressing the restart button.

3-let it follow through, and try the same thing (step 1 and 2) again.

4-When you're convinced its not going anywhere, boot with "-x" to get to safe mode.

5-Mine shut down on it's own without me doing anything. (I can't provide details, I wasn't at the computer :) )

6-Turn on the computer, and just boot normally

That did it for me...

Is this appliable for 865 chipset (desktop, p4 ht+sse3)? I have a problem where it won't boot if not in safe mode (-v says couldn't initialize VRAM). The board does have Intel Extreme Graphics anyway (albeit 8MB it says at the os x prompt).

TIA.

I am starting to become convinced this is a video BIOS issue. External display works great, can't get the main one to work (tried safe boot, updating maxxus, detect displays, etc).

I've seen a lot of different versions of Intel's video BIOS for the GMA900 (hundreds of builds apart, so, I'm starting to think that is the main problem... some work with some arm bending, some won't work at all).

Is this appliable for 865 chipset (desktop, p4 ht+sse3)?  I have a problem where it won't boot if not in safe mode (-v says couldn't initialize VRAM).  The board does have Intel Extreme Graphics anyway (albeit 8MB it says at the os x prompt).

TIA.

I would like to know too. I have a (see signature) 865/478 intel extreme graphics 2 with 32mb its the older brother of the 915 chipset i guess.

Its the "25728086" btw

should i replace the 2582 with 2572? do i have to delete the 915 instead of the 830. Its getting a bit to difficult for me. I am now in the proces of reinstalling so if it brakes better now then later ...

I am starting to become convinced this is a video BIOS issue.  External display works great, can't get the main one to work (tried safe boot, updating maxxus, detect displays, etc).

I got same problems with you.

Everytime I start osx, I have to start it with an external monitor connected. <_<

ya, i reformatted and reinstalled my mac partition.

The method should work for other intel integrated graphics and chipsets.

I would delete the 915 if i had the 830.

So yeah I'm just testing some stuff right now, and I'm at the bue screen point.

I'm gonna retry the methods above and post my results.

So the next time i post, it should be from mac on my laptop's panel!

ya, i reformatted and reinstalled my mac partition.

The method should work for other intel integrated graphics and chipsets.

I would delete the 915 if i had the 830.

So yeah I'm just testing some stuff right now, and I'm at the bue screen point.

I'm gonna retry the methods above and post my results.

So the next time i post, it should be from mac on my laptop's panel!

read this thread for info on how to get it running on 865 cipset

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=757

well this is great news, but has anyone found a way around the external monitor issue yet? I can get into OS X with an external monitor and then switch it back to my laptop as a main display and I get QE and CI support as well, but I have to do this everytime, or else I get the blue screen error on boot.

well this is great news, but has anyone found a way around the external monitor issue yet?  I can get into OS X with an external monitor and then switch it back to my laptop as a main display, but I have to do this everytime, or else I get the blue screen error on boot.

folloow thiese instructions for your chipset they worked for me revirse the intruction if you have

the 915 or 910 chipset

1. get appleintelli830.kext and appleintelli915.kext and put them in a folder so you can work on them

2.open(by right clicking on the kext and picking show package contents)appleinteli915.kext

and go to contents-->macos-->appleintel1915

3.rename appleinteli915 to appleinteli830

4.open(by right clicking on the kext and picking show package contents)appleinteli830.kext

and go to contents-->macos and drag the renamed now appleinteli830 from the appleinteli915.kext

to the appleinteli830.kext-->contents-->macos folder and drop it in

copy over the one thats there

5.close it up and put it back in /system/library/extensions/ and let it overwrite the appleinteli830.kext in the directory

6.open a terminal and do this

open i830.kext and edit info.plist

look for <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x25728086<string>

and change the string to <string>0xXXX8086<string>

then open appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext

and edit info.plist

look for <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x25728086<string>

and change the string to <string>0xXXXX8086<string>(xxx being your device id)-chipset id found in about this mac-more info-display/graphics

save them both then set your premissions and wheel both files

then reboot

and they will be set for your chipset

Code

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Appleintel830.kext

after you hit enter put this next

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Appleintel830.kext

and thats it reboot and your done

hope thats alittle better

look at the pic

well this is great news, but has anyone found a way around the external monitor issue yet?  I can get into OS X with an external monitor and then switch it back to my laptop as a main display and I get QE and CI support as well, but I have to do this everytime, or else I get the blue screen error on boot.

At the moment I have to do the same thing, i'm sure a work around will come about sooner or later.

But as popsted above i'm begining to become convinced that it is infact a BIOS issue.

At the moment I have to do the same thing, i'm sure a work around will come about sooner or later.

But as popsted above i'm begining to become convinced that it is infact a BIOS issue.

see i dont have that problem but in using a desktop not laptop

just did those intructions and worked fine never took the i915 out of extentions

My BIOS doesn't have an option to set this, it just has AGP aperture, unfortunately. Looks like it is stuck on 8MB, although in Windows it seems to use more. I guess that is due to direct hardware support.

EDIT: Thanks for that patch. I'll test it tomorrow when I get in to the office.

oh andy try doing -s -f the first boot after the fix

the -f switch will dump your old config and make a new one at boot time ... wight be that your still using the old config at boot i noticed the -f swithc fixes things after i make changes.you only need to do it the first time you boot up after changes ... hope this helps you bro

My BIOS doesn't have an option to set this, it just has AGP aperture, unfortunately.  Looks like it is stuck on 8MB, although in Windows it seems to use more.  I guess that is due to direct hardware support.

what bios do yu have .. gan you set the agp apt size?

you have no settings for you onboard vid at all?

folloow thiese instructions for your chipset they worked for me revirse the intruction if you have

the 915 or 910 chipset

Would I do this in conjuction with the patch at the top of this thread? And I have the 915gm chipset(gma900 2592) so I am a little confused by "reversing" the directions.

what bios do yu have .. gan you set the agp apt size?

you have no settings for you onboard vid at all?

I can't set the video memory in my bios either on my hp dv1000 series w/ Intel 915gm 2592 but I managed to get QE and CI working with the external monitor workaround, so I don't think this is a crucial thing. With the gma900 if you have <1gb of ram it assigns 64mb to video, if you have more than 1gb it assigns 128mb to video so it's all automatically setup pretty much.