OpenSuSE 11.0 Installer Looks Gorgeous

Alessandro17

81 posts in this topic

Finder and Disk Utility have all the burning one needs. Heck, those two can do everything Nero on Windows charges you $100 for. ;)

Seriously now though, don't tell me that OS X users don't need commercial applications, unless their use of computers is extremely limited.

Seriously now though, don't tell me that OS X users don't need commercial applications, unless their use of computers is extremely limited.

I think he was pointing out that you don't need a commercial app. for burning disks. I didn't need anything at all for burning.

Ripping, on the other hand.....

Back on subject, the installer reminds me of the 10.3 one, but it does look prettier.

I think he was pointing out that you don't need a commercial app. for burning disks. I didn't need anything at all for burning.

I know, but I was referring to his previous posts:

I was under the impression that OS X could be gotten for $600 and zero headaches, with iLife included for free, at your closest Best Buy or Apple store...

No one needs any of those. The only thing needed that doesn't come free with a Mac Mini is iWork, which actually comes as a trial and can be unlocked for a fraction of the price of Microsoft Office. All the software one needs is either included with OS X (Mail, Address Book, iChat, etc.), or can be freely downloaded (Firefox, VLC, and Handbrake).

i've been a Ubuntu fan since the early years, but when 7.10 was released I lost a bit of faith, you just got me interested again and I'm actually downloading it NOW!!

SticMAN

Don't give up on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) is in it's Alpha stage now and it looks schweet!

ubuntu1.jpg

Really? Then please burn me a multisession Blu-Ray Disc or a CD-EXTRA using it!

Who honestly burns Blu-Rays? I sure don't, and I don't know a single person that does. CD burning is going to way of the dinosaur, there's no reason to cling to it or support a dying industry with overpriced burners and expensive, buggy software.

Don't give up on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) is in it's Alpha stage now and it looks schweet!

ubuntu1.jpg

Yeah, they finally gave up on not ripping off Mac OS and went for the full nine yards. :hysterical:

CD burning is going to way of the dinosaur

Are you sure about that? Not everybody agrees

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/12/magazines/....biz2/index.htm

there's no reason to cling to it or support a dying industry with overpriced burners and expensive, buggy software.

PIONEER DVR-115D € 26.00

LG GSA-H55L LIGHTSCRIBE € 30.00

K3B, one of the best CD/DVD burning software: FREE

Yeah, they finally gave up on not ripping off Mac OS and went for the full nine yards. :P

No.

That's a simple mockup an average user created. It presents his ideas and that's about it.

This is how Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 looks like. Clearly the final theme is not ready yet, but there have been some interesting discussions about it in the ubuntu-art mailing list.

ubuntu-hardy04.jpg

CD burning is going to way of the dinosaur, there's no reason to cling to it or support a dying industry with overpriced burners and expensive, buggy software.

Uhh, no? Almost all modern disc drives are combo DVD+CD burners. Most major OSs include data and audio CD burning through the shell or an application. There have been tons of times when something I want to burn is less than 700MB, so I use a CD. Myself and many others also regularly burn audio CDs.

• 2 weeks later...
Any other known improvements over OS 10.3? The installer kind of reminds me of the old Fedora installer from 1 or 2 (can't remember). Are they (SUSE) doing anything with Gnome or any of the other desktops in OS 11?

What I can tell you is that KDE4 should be the default KDE.

I don't know a lot more. I start testing openSUSE seriously by the late betas or even RCs.

Shame Novell are in bed ****ing MSes brains out but what the hell? Who even cares about why free software was started anyway?

I use openSUSE daily, as my main OS, and to me it seems still pretty free, in both meanings of the word.

• 2 weeks later...
Linux based OS X clone anyone?:

http://www.taimila.com/?q=node/11

This looks so crazily similar to OS X :rolleyes:

You do realize it's a article about theming and modding GNOME to look like OS X and it's not a distro that looks like that?

Anyway,

I dont like the green but thats just SUSE's colour and there's alot of gradient color banding, I know Jimmac is working hard on that :-)

Linux is a kernel.

Yes we know that, but people don't always use words in their original meaning.

"Linux" means "a Linux distribution" for most.

I read about Novell removing things from OpenSuse that MS supposedly owns patents to and that was it for me,

Distributions have always done that (removing or, rather, not using proprietary software)

I can't see how that is a problem.

Debian does that more than any other distro.

Solution: add one or two extra repositories.