[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

havanahjoe::

do u have sound blaster hd audio by any chance? how did u get this to work?

and how did u get sleep and wake to work properly? i cant get it to work.. i dont know if i have efi installed..

and have u had problem with itunes not working? i cant get it to play.. might be because i dont have audio driver installed?

I don't have sound blaster HD audio but as far as I know this is just a software "upgrade" so you should be able to use the STAC9228 codec everyone is using. I installed Sonotone's package and selected the Sleep packages included there. That fixed my sleep issues. Sometimes if sound doesn't work I just sleep the laptop and wake it up and I get it back.

Can you point us to what tutorial you used to install the sound files? I tried the installer from the package that sono put together and could not get it to work. A laptop without sound is very frustrating!

Install Sonotone's package and select the Sound kext from the list. Repair permissions and reboot. If you still don't have sound Sleep your computer and wake it and it should work. Install the Sleep fixed as well of course.

If you are still not getting sound, go into System Preferences and check what the default output device is. If it's set to Headphones then the Internal Speakers will not work, so change this and see if that helps.

I did find it a little frustrating that plugging in the headphones does not turn off the Internal Speakers and I have to go into System Preferences to change it manually and then remember to change it back. At least it's better than nothing.

EDIT: I was wrong. The headphone jack does work and it mutes the internal speakers, but it only works with the leftmost headphone jack. If you want audio through the middle one, you have to switch the default output device.

just wanted to see if this will or has supported this system. if you are not sure , it is fine. just that i have had issues with the newest releases. last one 10.52 did not even register as a bootable dvd. never had that prob before. all tiger worked.

here is my system. If you need a tester on this one i will do it as well.

DELL XPS M170 (LAPTOP)

Intel Pentium M 760 (2GHz) Mobile Processor

533MHz FSB, Intel 915PM Chipset.SSE2

Expansion Ports 1 x IEEE 1394a (FireWire), VGA out, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC), S-Video out, DVI (Digital Video Interface), 6 x USB 2.0

Display: 17 inch True Life Widescreen UXGA

Hard Drive 80GB Hitachi Ultra ATA 7200 RPM

Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Memory2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

video: Nvidia GeForce GO 6800 Ultra with 256MB Memory

Network: Wireless- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

Network: NIC Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller

I think that your Dell is more compatible with the ones listed in this thread: [Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

ok. i am having a new issue on my m1330

ive got the install on my partioned harddrive, ive got it to boot up (the first time -- more in a second), wireless and everything inside works that is supposed to (i used Leo4Allv2)..

the problem is, i install, restart, set up account and it lets everything work fine, leopard loads and i can use it. BUT after i shut down the first time, and then reboot into it, leopard again loads (but without requiring me to log in??), everything loads, but then my mouse appears in the top left corner of the screen and feezes. i dont believe the whole system is frozen, because when i press the power button the shutdown menu appears, but i cant do anything or select anything and have to do a hard power off..

anybody faced this / seen it / heard of it?? ive tried bootin in -v, -x and neither of those helped. im so close yet so far away and really wanna make this work.. thanks so much in advance!!

I juz bought the Dell truemobile 1390 from ebay. For my XPS m1530, should i insert the 1390 into the WWAN or the WLAN slot? The WLAN slot is currently occupied by the intel 4965 agn. Can both of the wireless card be used at a same time?

I juz bought the Dell truemobile 1390 from ebay. For my XPS m1530, should i insert the 1390 into the WWAN or the WLAN slot? The WLAN slot is currently occupied by the intel 4965 agn. Can both of the wireless card be used at a same time?

Just plug the card in to an available slot and you're flying.

I still have my intel card in its original slot...should I ever need it...

hello,

do you have any idea how to map the stop key as escape key. That will be perfect for front row

Butler doesn't seem to work in Front Row

If anybody succeed in getting stop key doing "escape" in Front Row, please tell me how

Thanks

ive got the install on my partioned harddrive, ive got it to boot up (the first time -- more in a second), wireless and everything inside works that is supposed to (i used Leo4Allv2)..

the problem is, i install, restart, set up account and it lets everything work fine, leopard loads and i can use it. BUT after i shut down the first time, and then reboot into it, leopard again loads (but without requiring me to log in??), everything loads, but then my mouse appears in the top left corner of the screen and feezes. i dont believe the whole system is frozen, because when i press the power button the shutdown menu appears, but i cant do anything or select anything and have to do a hard power off..

anybody faced this / seen it / heard of it?? ive tried bootin in -v, -x and neither of those helped. im so close yet so far away and really wanna make this work.. thanks so much in advance!!

The system does not ask your login every boot unless you tell in the "login Options" of Accounts pane in the System Preferences, by default the first user you create the system selected it as Auto Login.

As for the freeze maybe the loginwindow is corrupted, see if in the Leo4All wiki is a reported known issue.

You can put it in any of them, but you need to shwitch the Wireless Modem in the BIOS if you put any of the cards there.

Just plug the card in to an available slot and you're flying.

I still have my intel card in its original slot...should I ever need it...

Not necessarily it the Wireless Modem is off in BIOS the card on the WWAN slot wont work.

Try booting with -f

I have a m1330 with leo4allv2 also, and cannot get keyboard and mouse to work (USB keyboard and mouse DO work), only by booting with -f, which is a bit boring. Tried all the patches and kexts I could find in the forum, to no avail. Funny cause they used to work with leo4allV1.

i am now downloading leo4allv3, which apparently has the nokeyboard/mouse patch included as an installation option.... let's see if it works :whistle: .

Try booting with -f

I have a m1330 with leo4allv2 also, and cannot get keyboard and mouse to work (USB keyboard and mouse DO work), only by booting with -f, which is a bit boring. Tried all the patches and kexts I could find in the forum, to no avail. Funny cause they used to work with leo4allV1.

i am now downloading leo4allv3, which apparently has the nokeyboard/mouse patch included as an installation option.... let's see if it works :) .

I've had the same problem with the Leo4Allv2. The solution is actually covered on this thread. ACPIPS2Nub.kext in your extensions folder with the appropriate AppleACPIPlatform.kext strings in its pilst file resolves this issue completely. The PS2Keyboard fix does NOT resolve this issue as the pilst in the ACPIPS2Nub.kext seems to be mismatched for some reason! Basically, if you already have the ACPIPS2Nub.kext properly installed, just edit its pilst file. It's all at the top of the first page of this thread.

I've had the same problem with the Leo4Allv2. The solution is actually covered on this thread. ACPIPS2Nub.kext in your extensions folder with the appropriate AppleACPIPlatform.kext strings in its pilst file resolves this issue completely. The PS2Keyboard fix does NOT resolve this issue as the pilst in the ACPIPS2Nub.kext seems to be mismatched for some reason! Basically, if you already have the ACPIPS2Nub.kext properly installed, just edit its pilst file. It's all at the top of the first page of this thread.

Can you point me towards the ACPIPS2Nub.kext plist edit instructions? - can't find it in this thread. Thx.

Does anyone know how to start a specific program or service everytime after wake-up from sleep? I have an utility that needs to be run after each sleep-wake cycle.

I found an App, SleepWatcher, could make things just before sleep or/and after wake.

hello,

do you have any idea how to map the stop key as escape key. That will be perfect for front row

Butler doesn't seem to work in Front Row

If anybody succeed in getting stop key doing "escape" in Front Row, please tell me how

Thanks

up!

Furthermore, has somebody tried to install LEO4ALLv3? If yes, what's the result with shutdown/reboot problem (cf jake123)?

To All:

I highly suggest you don't try Leo4All v3, it didn't work very well for me with graphics... there are some issues that need to be worked out

Try 10.5.2 Kalyway, yes it will not boot off the DVD on the m1330, I tried it on my desktop and installed it to my laptop hard drive via SATA (its the same voltage + cables for desktop + laptop sata), then booted with my laptop.

So, thanks to this great post I've got my laptop working very well. The only problem I've been having is battery life. It's awful, is there any clear way to get speedsteping working? I know it's mentioned in the "How-To", but getting things to work was really trial and error. I don't want to mess thing thing up again - is there any simple way to get decent battery lives on this thing.

I have the battery bar displayed on the top, with the time countdown but it seems to go drip down much faster than its indicated time left.

Can MacGirl or anyone else please help me out? Is it possible to get 2-3 hours of batter life on this thing? I have a 4-cell battery, so I'm looking at an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours and fifteen minutes from OSX. That's a little lower than what I get from Vista (which is roughly 2:30 typically...)

To All:

I highly suggest you don't try Leo4All v3, it didn't work very well for me with graphics... there are some issues that need to be worked out

Try 10.5.2 Kalyway, yes it will not boot off the DVD on the m1330, I tried it on my desktop and installed it to my laptop hard drive via SATA (its the same voltage + cables for desktop + laptop sata), then booted with my laptop.

What issues did you have with leo4allv3 graphics? you are right, Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD won't boot on the m1330... can you detail a bit more how you managed to install on m1330? Thx

I have a vostro 1500 that the ethernet worked great until I updated to 10.5.2 and 9.2.2 kernel. It always show disconnected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kalyway ships the driver for the integrated broadcom ethernet, Broadcom 440x, upgrading you lose it in the way.

1. copy the .kext to /System/Library/Extensions

2. Open Terminal and run the following commands:

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

3. Reboot.

or another method of installing ;)

Hope it helps!

I've noticed {censored} quality of connection via ethernet, the connection drops every hour or two, reverting to a wrong auto-assigned IP - does it happen to you ?

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.zip

Thanks Superhai wil test it ASAP.

More good news DUAL Monitor on 8400 possible, I tested 2 NVCAP values:

from desktop 8400gs

property list editor mode:

<04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000>

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAgANAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

from other user card, Dual display with VGA, LCD primary:

property list editor mode:

<04000000 00000200 0D000000 00000007 00000000>

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

post-123-1205615492_thumb.png

Those values can be in NVinject, NvinjectGo Natit and also it can be converted in a gfx string and added to the com.apple.Boot.plist

here is mine:

I can't do any changes when I open with PropertyList Editor. I wonder if I have to do the changes 1ith "tex edit" If not, could you please explain in clean and exact terms.

my system--- asus f3sc nvidia 8400m g, kalyway 10.5.2

I can't do any changes when I open with PropertyList Editor. I wonder if I have to do the changes 1ith "tex edit" If not, could you please explain in clean and exact terms.

I use BBEdit for pilsts. Kalyway 10.5.2 comes with that I believe. If not, get it at www.barebones.com.....

You can't change it because it has rights, root is the owner and no other user can change it, but there are several ways to do it.

To make changes with Property List Editor you need to copy the plist file to any of you user's directory (folders on finder) or to the desktop (which in reality is another directory), then open with Property List Editor make your changes and save it, then copy back the plist file from where it originally came.

Another way is to make the changes with a Text Editor directly on the Terminal with a program called pico (or its twin brother nano).

Open Terminal and write the following commands:

sudo su

that command make you the root user, it will ask for your password, so if your user don't has a password you need to put it one, if you don't know how to put a password on your user go to System Preferences click Accounts Pane and select your user, in the password tab click the "change password" button.

then write:

pico /path to the file/directory/subdirectory/this:file.plist

change the second part of where your file is and the name.

make your changes and hit Control-X, since you are already the root user you have write permission to that file.

then type:

"exit" or "reboot"

You can also make the same with a single command line:

sudo pico /path to the file/directory/subdirectory/this:file.plist

the system will ask for your password

Just a note, your user need to be and Admin, by default the first user you create on installation is an Admin.

Anther way is to copy the plist file to your desktop (or other folder) and edit with a GUI Text Editor like TextEdit, or a third party app like BBEdit, or TextWrangler (freeware and light edition of BBEdit).

The difference in the values on Property List Editor and Text is that the first one present the values in Hexadecimal format ant the second in encoded Binary.

Just another Note not all of the PLIST files are directly editable by a Text Editor, you need to convert them from binary to text, here is a post where I explain how to: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=104826