theStevo 4.0 Patch for the 775Dual-VSTA

thestevo

121 posts in this topic

The main purpose for this patch is to allow installation on an SATA drive, you don't need an IDE.

Okay, perfect, however tonight while attempting an install with kalyway 10.5.1 and your patch, I never made it to the installer screen

while in -v, I found that the VIAATA wasn't finding any drives. I've always had success when using a USB drive, and (iirc) IDE.

Any suggestions?

Given others' success, either:

A: You patched wrong

B: It doesn't like something else in your hardware config

C: Your BIOS settings are not right.

I'd look into A, though.

Stevo

Okay, so I picked up a fresh version of Kalyway and reapplied the ppf using ppf-o-matic.

Unfortunately I got the same result as before:

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA Unknown (CMD 0xIF0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ14, BM 0xfc00)

IRQ 14 is the primary IDE driver. The only IDE device I have is the optical drive

Seems that the installer doesn't like something.

I'm running the 4coredual-sataII r1, installed kalyway 10.5.1 w/thestevo 4.0(Thanks alot!) patched w/ppf-o-matic,mbr partition, custom options 775dual-vsta, natit, azalia out, efi mbr. Doesn't boot without -x until i install bronya's 1950pro driver then boots fine, with sound, and network. I don't get UDMA as of yet tho, been looking for the device id's, i don't really know how, other than going into windows device manager on my other drive, and found for the via sata controller 0x53721106, and for via ide controller 0x05711106. I haven't added them to the appleviaata.kext yet as last time i messed around the it, it involved a re install, as i know nothing about linux. Sata works fine tho as long as raid is enabled within bios. Instead of messing up this install tho, i think i'm just going to get a sata drive and clone my current drive over to it. we'll see i'm seeing about 12mb/sec in xbench with ide devices.

I'm also getting:

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA Unknown (CMD 0xI70, CTR 0x344, IRQ15, BM 0xfc08) but with different values than the person above as shown.

I've had the network stop working once in the week i've been using OSX

Hello all :)

After reading the success stories with Asrock 775DualVSTA and 4coredualvsta Mainboards I would like to ask you for help, as I cannot get my Installation to work.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard DVD (patched with thestevo4-Patch, MD5 Checksum is ok) onto a 250 GB Seagate SATA-Drive. Packets were: SSE2-Kernel, NATIT, Azaliaout, thestevo's patch, GUID.

My MoBo is Asrock 4coredualvsta, BIOS 2.00 and 2.2 tested. GraphicsCard is Leadtek 7600GT-AGP, 2 GB DDR2-RAM, E4300 CPU with Standardclock. HPET enabled, NoExecute enabled, no RAID-Mode, USB-Keyboard and Mouse.

Booting from HD without switches leads me to the grey Apple sign and a message that I shall have to reboot my computer by holding the power button etc.

When I boot with -x -v switches the computer stops after several seconds with the last two messages being

mDNSresponder-164[31]: Starting and

/usr/sbin/ocspd[67]: starting.

Then it hangs/does nothing.

I've tried -legacy and cpus=1 as additional switches and this gets me to a message:

mds[37]: /.Spotlight-V100 somethingsomething after which the computer also hangs/does nothing.

I would greatly appreciate any hint/tipp as I cant seem to get it to work by myself (und would so reallyreally like to play with my Hackintosh :-)).

Hello all :guitar:

After reading the success stories with Asrock 775DualVSTA and 4coredualvsta Mainboards I would like to ask you for help, as I cannot get my Installation to work.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard DVD (patched with thestevo4-Patch, MD5 Checksum is ok) onto a 250 GB Seagate SATA-Drive. Packets were: SSE2-Kernel, NATIT, Azaliaout, thestevo's patch, GUID.

My MoBo is Asrock 4coredualvsta, BIOS 2.00 and 2.2 tested. GraphicsCard is Leadtek 7600GT-AGP, 2 GB DDR2-RAM, E4300 CPU with Standardclock. HPET enabled, NoExecute enabled, no RAID-Mode, USB-Keyboard and Mouse.

Booting from HD without switches leads me to the grey Apple sign and a message that I shall have to reboot my computer by holding the power button etc.

When I boot with -x -v switches the computer stops after several seconds with the last two messages being

mDNSresponder-164[31]: Starting and

/usr/sbin/ocspd[67]: starting.

Then it hangs/does nothing.

I've tried -legacy and cpus=1 as additional switches and this gets me to a message:

mds[37]: /.Spotlight-V100 somethingsomething after which the computer also hangs/does nothing.

I would greatly appreciate any hint/tipp as I cant seem to get it to work by myself (und would so reallyreally like to play with my Hackintosh :-)).

Hi, have you tried installing with the guid or mbr selected only? i have the same hardware apart from a different cpu(pd 805d), and no issues installing the patched kalyway leo (apart from the net stop).

Hope you'll sort your probs out asap, leo is great!

Ok, I need to make some clarifications here.

First, UDMA has NOTHING to do with SATA. Nothing at all, period. UDMA only has to do with IDE acceleration. On Monday I'll release theStevo 4.1 which has the UDMA enabled kext. Those who don't have IDE drives DO NOT NEED IT.

Second, all you need to select at install is my package and the correct bootloader (MBR or GPT). My patch has network, audio, and SATA. You don't need azalia audio, you don't need SSE2. As far as I know, there is no CPU that you can put in the board that doesn't have SSE3. The only other thing you may need is a graphics card kext (Natit).

TurdFergasun, I appreciate your post but I need some clarification. So that its easy for me to read the feedback, it would be good if people can stick to the questions I asked people to respond to. However, I don't know for sure whether you meant to say that SATA is working or not. In the middle you said that SATA works fine if raid is enabled, then you said at the end you were getting an error. So, it might help to simplify your posts a little, thanks.

theStevo

ya sorry for the tonne of extra info jumbled in there, was late.

i noticed sata working with no errors after i enabled raid in bios(raid is disabled now even with OSX so maybe it just helped OSX regocnize it, dunno.

I can access the sata drive read only as it's NTFS, but works fine, no strange interruptions.

I've tried setting the osx86 IDE drive to every DMA setting available in bios, and have found no difference either way. I've also added my Via IDE controller dev ID 0x057111106, and the Via SATA dev ID 0x53721106 to the AppleVIAATA.kext plist I've gotten no performance increase, but i could have added them wrong.

I'm still seeing the VIAATAdriver: unknown (CMD 0xI70, CTR 0x344, IRQ15, BM 0xfc08), and Viaatadriver: sata seems to be recognized directly underneath it. but as i said SATA is working, I can't report on transfer speeds yet, i'll be borrowing a friends SATA drive later in the week and cloning my IDE drive to it, and testing speeds then.

sorry one last update i do seem to be getting an interruption in sound when accessing my second IDE drive, which is also NTFS, so maybe thats the reason, or the missing UDMA, dunno if it's info you need or not, just trying to cover all bases.

Rickx,

regarding the network issue, right now i disabled the ipv6 (off), and set manually ipv4 and the rest of the settings (ip,subnet mask). no droppings as yet.

Fingers crossed.

What about your settings?

I went to the advanced network settings, set MTU to 1000 and set the connection type to auto instead of 100M/half-duplex. Things seem to be working much better.

edit : Things ARE working much better. I think it has more to do with going full duplex over half duplex instead of MTU, but it doesn't matter which one it was to me... no more internet droppage!

I went to the advanced network settings, set MTU to 1000 and set the connection type to auto instead of 100M/half-duplex. Things seem to be working much better.

edit : Things ARE working much better. I think it has more to do with going full duplex over half duplex instead of MTU, but it doesn't matter which one it was to me... no more internet droppage!

oh well,

mine is very unreliable, sometimes network stops working, sometimes works perfectly, hope in a solution cause without internet i cannot work (access journals,articles).

I wonder why it works on my previous installation on kalyway without the patch and on a ide hdd. I was all excited..................came too soon!

Hey rtomek,

I agree. Full duplex is the most important thing. While setting MTU so low is not a good idea imho. See if networking is ok only changing full duplex and reseting MTU to standard 1500. If it's not, try putting the attached file into your /etc/ folder (unzipped!) and restart. Note: use chown root.wheel /etc/sysctl.conf to make owner rights right once it's there.

sysctl.conf.zip

And jump over here to check your config.

@litania: do the file thing directly.

ok i have just completed the installation of the kalyway 10.5.1 patched with thestevo ppf.

The installation has been completed but when the OS tries to boot i get a blank screen with the mouse pointer after the grey apple logo.

i have booted with -x flag, entered in safe boot and all things i think that work.

My hardware:

Asrock 775dual-vsta

Intel core 2 duo E6600

XFX 7950GT 512 ram

250gb WD SATA II

IDE DVD drive

any solution?

Thanks mate, very nice, but what do i do with the config file? opened with smultron, but then? u r talking about a folder ,which 1?

Thanks a lot!

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »

Tested on: 02.05.2008 15:23

IP address: 90.194.xx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b4010303030101080a37750efe0000000004020000

MSS: 1460

MTU: 1500

TCP Window: 524280 (NOT multiple of MSS)

RWIN Scaling: 3

Unscaled RWIN : 65535

Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920

BDP limit (200ms): 20971kbps (2621KBytes/s)

BDP limit (500ms): 8388kbps (1049KBytes/s)

MTU Discovery: ON

TTL: 43

Timestamps: ON

SACKs: ON

IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

vtsib, sounds like you didn't select the ASRock775Dual-VSTA package in the installation.

TurdFurgasun, yeah, I know probably what is going on and how to fix it. I'll try to get the fix out the door when I have some time.

theStevo

Thanks mate, very nice, but what do i do with the config file? opened with smultron, but then? u r talking about a folder ,which 1?

Thanks a lot!

Ok, here we go: unzip file on your desktop so the path will be /Users/YOURNAMEHERE/Desktop/sysctl.conf

Open terminal

cp /Users/YOURNAMEHERE/Desktop/sysctl.conf /etc/ 
sudo chown root.wheel /etc/sysctl.conf
-> YOURPASSWORD

Then reboot to make it active.

thestevo. don't worry man, tested sata last night. 6.4gb dvd iso from ide to sata 11 min. 6.4gb dvd iso from sata to sata 1.5 min. sata is working fine, and sata drives are very cheap. will pick one up in a few weeks and retire the ide drives to other systems. they're noisy anyhow. thanks alot for the help and this patch! save your breath for 10.5.2 fun.

I haven't tried the config file, but it took a lot of messing around with the system to get the internet to work right, so I don't think I need to go back and test anything else. The lower MTU may sound bad in theory, but when you are still downloading at over 900 k/s on a cable connection I don't think it's a problem in real life :) My trick has also solved the random disconnection problems for other people, just using Auto and 1000MTU, so until 10.5.2 is released it seems the way to go. I have tried full duplex, half duplex, all that stuff, but just changing it to that Auto setting in manual configuration seems to do the trick for some odd reason. I'm not saying your way doesn't work, just that mine does so now I don't want to touch it.

Hey rtomek,

I agree. Full duplex is the most important thing. While setting MTU so low is not a good idea imho. See if networking is ok only changing full duplex and reseting MTU to standard 1500. If it's not, try putting the attached file into your /etc/ folder (unzipped!) and restart. Note: use chown root.wheel /etc/sysctl.conf to make owner rights right once it's there.

sysctl.conf.zip

And jump over here to check your config.

@litania: do the file thing directly.

edit: 1500 MTU crashes the network. Don't know what it about it, but that's the setting that does it!

Ok, here we go: unzip file on your desktop so the path will be /Users/YOURNAMEHERE/Desktop/sysctl.conf

Open terminal

cp /Users/YOURNAMEHERE/Desktop/sysctl.conf /etc/ 
sudo chown root.wheel /etc/sysctl.conf
-> YOURPASSWORD

Then reboot to make it active.

Thanks but is this normal?

cp /Users/******gold/Desktop/sysctl.conf /etc/

cp: /etc/sysctl.conf: Permission denied

and below is what i got after entering the pass

chown: separation of user and group with a period is deprecated

chown: /etc/sysctl.conf: No such file or directory

ok problem resolved.

I had to flash the rom of the graphics card because darwin bootloader didn't recognize the 512 ram of the card.

So i took the risk and know i have a full functional Leo :P

i've put the sysctl.conf at /etc and network drops problem seems to be resolved.

the only thing that doesn't work is when i push the apple button and then the about this mac, seems to restart the window manager

any advice?

thestevo: i've put the asrock package, thank you very much for the patch!!!! really nice work

Good, I have used the patch 4 to execute kalyway in my VSTA. I gives me a error. When particiono I do it in MBR, then in customice chose the boot MBR. When it finishes the installation it does not appear leopard. Only my XP appears, that this on another disc. That I do badly??

Thank you

Sorry for my english :-X

litania72: try this in the terminal insteadsudo cp /Users/YOURNAMEHERE/Desktop/sysctl.conf /etc/sudo chown root:wheel /etc/sysctl.conf
Thanks mate! Rickx: hope it works permanently! if it doesn't thatnks anyway. I'll let u know.
Good, I have used the patch 4 to execute kalyway in my VSTA. I gives me a error. When particiono I do it in MBR, then in customice chose the boot MBR. When it finishes the installation it does not appear leopard. Only my XP appears, that this on another disc. That I do badly??Thank youSorry for my english :-X
Hi mate,Did u select the hdd u intend to install leopard from the bios menu. Make it first to boot.When installing leopard, just choose the stevo patch + mbr bootloader (if u format in mbr), nothing else as stevo patch already has audio/network drivers.It should work, if it does when in leo install video driver (find it).Hope it works!