theStevo 4.0 Patch for the 775Dual-VSTA

thestevo

121 posts in this topic

I really appreciate your patch, theStevo. I wouldn't have even considered trying OS X on my PC if it wasn't for reading about it! I have a 775Dual-VSTA, and with this patch I've been able to run Leopard perfectly. Well, save for one thing: the dropping network connection. I know there's no guaranteed solution as of yet, but in the interest of understanding why this occurs I thought I'd post the error in my system.log that shows up every time it happens. These are from the four drops I had last night:

Feb 7 19:42:45 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 866139, dirty_tx is 866015, queue len is 124

Feb 7 21:24:43 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 1465564, dirty_tx is 1465440, queue len is 124

Feb 7 22:10:58 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 1687659, dirty_tx is 1687535, queue len is 124

Feb 7 22:51:23 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 2237913, dirty_tx is 2237789, queue len is 124

Each time this error occurs, all network activity is immediately ceased. The only thing I've found to do at this point is either reboot or sleep & resume the os. I have tried all of the tips mentioned in this thread, and I can now browse the Internet indefinitely without any drops. Unfortunately, seconds after any sustained network activity begins (e.g. large file transfers or using a network HD tuner), the above event appears in the log and the network connection drops. I'm thinking of trying a PCI ethernet card to see if the same thing happens. Dumb idea? I'll post the results as soon as I can rummage one up.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else experiencing dropped network connections has this error in their system.log.

Hi guys, the trick seem s to work well, i have been online for a few hours now and downloaded a few torrents as well (cloverfield), and no drops at all.

Hope it stays like that forever, love Leo, now i just need to find a solution for the mouse tearing prob!

Thanks a lot.

Finally I found the time to give it another shot. I reinstalled Kalyway to SATA-HD without any Drivers for the Graphics Card (no Natit, no NVInject) and this got me to a working system with sound and network (wooohoooo :-))

Only problems so far are, screenresolution is fixed to 1024x768 and there are graphical artifacts when I scroll through websites. I have to go 1 page at a time to avoid

scrolling. Whenever I try to install Natit or NVinject the system refuses to come up after reboot. 

Symptoms are the same as described in my first post.

Could it be a problem with my AGP-Card (Leadtek 7600GT, 256 MB RAM)?

Thanks a lot theStevo for your fine patch. Seeing OSX start for the first time with Sound and Animations 

made me very happy :blink:

Hi alli have downloaded thestevo patch for the 775dual-vsta, and i have an image iso of the kalyway 10.5.1 , how can i apply this ppf patch to the iso image , im running windows xp now , and dont know how to do this ,plz someone help me , thxhi thestevoi have downloaded ppf o matic 3, can i be able to create a patched kalyway 10.5.1 with ur ppf patch ?i tried in vain to install the kayway 10.5.1 on my 775dual-vsta but in vain, but now with ur patch , i think there is a hope, plz help me on how i can create a patched dvd using ur ppf patch thx a lot

Hi alli have downloaded thestevo patch for the 775dual-vsta, and i have an image iso of the kalyway 10.5.1 , how can i apply this ppf patch to the iso image , im running windows xp now , and dont know how to do this ,plz someone help me , thxhi thestevoi have downloaded ppf o matic 3, can i be able to create a patched kalyway 10.5.1 with ur ppf patch ?i tried in vain to install the kayway 10.5.1 on my 775dual-vsta but in vain, but now with ur patch , i think there is a hope, plz help me on how i can create a patched dvd using ur ppf patch thx a lot

Open the md5 file included in your download of the ppf file. Figure out how to calculate md5 checksums on your peecee and then compare the checksum of both the binary kalyway iso AND the ppf file before you begin.

Hi mate,

It is very easy. Use ppf-o-matic in xp, open it and the load both the patch and the kaliway iso image, i think u should click apply or something. I did the same and the software is very easy to understand. It will create another image of kaliway 10.5.1 with embedded Stevo patch, so just burn it on dvd, and voila'.

goood luck.

I really appreciate your patch, theStevo. I wouldn't have even considered trying OS X on my PC if it wasn't for reading about it! I have a 775Dual-VSTA, and with this patch I've been able to run Leopard perfectly. Well, save for one thing: the dropping network connection. I know there's no guaranteed solution as of yet, but in the interest of understanding why this occurs I thought I'd post the error in my system.log that shows up every time it happens. These are from the four drops I had last night:

Feb 7 19:42:45 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 866139, dirty_tx is 866015, queue len is 124

Feb 7 21:24:43 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 1465564, dirty_tx is 1465440, queue len is 124

Feb 7 22:10:58 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 1687659, dirty_tx is 1687535, queue len is 124

Feb 7 22:51:23 osx kernel[0]: exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 2237913, dirty_tx is 2237789, queue len is 124

Each time this error occurs, all network activity is immediately ceased. The only thing I've found to do at this point is either reboot or sleep & resume the os. I have tried all of the tips mentioned in this thread, and I can now browse the Internet indefinitely without any drops. Unfortunately, seconds after any sustained network activity begins (e.g. large file transfers or using a network HD tuner), the above event appears in the log and the network connection drops. I'm thinking of trying a PCI ethernet card to see if the same thing happens. Dumb idea? I'll post the results as soon as I can rummage one up.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else experiencing dropped network connections has this error in their system.log.

Hallo Kieslar,

yes, I saw that messages too. There's another message saying Interupt (1 r!) Tx something. I wrote about it in my 1st or 2nd post here. That's more precisely where my connection is dropped. The message comes from the ViaRhine.kext. I think it was written by a chinese guy, you can also download the source. But I don't think this is a driver bug. It surely depends on how your tcp network is running. My tip is you still have it set at half duplex. It should be set to auto or full-duplex. And then there's a general Leopard issue with networks which not all but a lot of Leopard users are experiencing. For that, changing the tcp configuration (see posts) should help. Others had better luck setting MTU to 1000, but I would not do that. Rumors say Apple is doing something regarding network issues, so I hope 10.5.2 brings a solution...

Changing nic card could help, yes. Or no. What your log messages are complaining about is having long queues of packets to resend after (probably) lots of collisions. When those queues get too long, the driver stops everything. But you don't need to restart every time. Stopping and restarting the network card is enough.

Hi all Litania , i have a question, have you checked the vanilla kernel during install, or just thestevo patch ?thx :|
Hi,Vanilla won't work, so ju st click on the stevo patch and the bootloader (mbr or guid, it depends on what u have chosen when formatting your hdd). leave the rest, install graphics when ur Leopard boot and work nicely.

Hope it answered ur quest.

Hi rickx,Your fix works, but sometimes i get no net again. Does that happen 2 u 2?

Cheers

Hi rickx,Your fix works, but sometimes i get no net again. Does that happen 2 u 2?

Cheers

Yes. That happens (often). Also on my original macbook. So, just Apple is to blame for that...but they don't seem to care too much. Just google for it or have a look here

or here.

Thx Litania for the quick answer

in fact i did install it with thestevo patch , natit and guid partition , install went fine, at reboot ,i got the logo of apple for the first time ,but in the end screen turned black and nothing ...

i will retry installing again but withouth checking the natit driver as u said , hope it will work

thx again :)

iwantsound - I don't support the E521, just the E520. I'm sorry I don't have the machine and I can't test anything out. You'd be better off going to somebody who has the machine.

Hi guys,

Software update shows the 10.5.2 update, it is safe to upgrade? i remember that on Tiger, in order to upgrade u had to use commands typed in terminal, and certainly not the combo updates.

Any idea? Stevo?

Thanks in advance

ps. rickx do u think that deleting airport.com.plist (is on the link u sent) is useful?

Jippppyyyyyyyyyyy, finally got it to work ,,i can't believe my eyes , hehehe

thanks so much he stevo for your great patch, withouth it i couldnt install mac on my pc, thx for others to reply at my quests

i have some questions though

1 is there a difference in performance installing on a SATA HDD over IDE one ?

2 is it safe to apply the 10.5.2 update on the patched kalyway 10.5.1 ?

3 how can i install drivers for my ATI Radeon X550

thx again for any help

Jippppyyyyyyyyyyy, finally got it to work ,,i can't believe my eyes , hehehe

thanks so much he stevo for your great patch, withouth it i couldnt install mac on my pc, thx for others to reply at my quests

i have some questions though

1 is there a difference in performance installing on a SATA HDD over IDE one ?

2 is it safe to apply the 10.5.2 update on the patched kalyway 10.5.1 ?

3 how can i install drivers for my ATI Radeon X550

thx again for any help

Hi Yaniss,

1. big difference as sata hdd's r faster.

2. i did install the update 10.5.2 on my other leo installation (on ide hdd) and after downloading it (325mb) it says to restart and then through install i got that message that says that you need to press the power button to restart. Once restarted i got the same plus wrong kernel message and others. So, don't do it! Stevo and others know how, but i think we need the intel only update instead of the 'combo'.

3. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page look for it!

Cheers!

Hi litania

Thx for warning me about the update , im already tired for a new install :D

now downloading the kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate , do you think its much safer to apply ?

and what about other minor apdates, are they safe too , like itunes, quicktime ..

hear from u soon :)

GOTCHA!http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4024028/kalywa....5.2ComboUpdate

Hi litania Thx for warning me about the update , im already tired for a new install :D now downloading the kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate , do you think its much safer to apply ?and what about other minor apdates, are they safe too , like itunes, quicktime ..hear from u soon :)
Well, people wrote of their success in the installation, but honestly i would try tomorrow when we have more feedbacks!Already f****d 1 Leo installation so...................i'll wait,personally. But, if u don't have any nice soft installed, well, go on mate, do it, nothing to lose, as u can install again. I have looooooads installed, so i can't right now!

No, you can not do the update as is. For one thing, you aren't running vanilla kernel now. So when the update installs a newer vanilla kernel, that won't work either. Secondly, even those of us who have machines that are running vanilla couldn't do it as is because the update wants to install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and kextload Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext during the update restart.

I haven't done the update on my ASRock box yet, I hope to do that tonight. However, theoretically, this is what you'll need to do.

1. Backup the following: the kernel, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleVIAATA.kext, NVInject (Natit), VIARhine.kext, ALCInject.kext

Just make a folder somewhere and copy them in.

2. Go to Netkas.org and follow his directions to the letter. A hint about the terminal commands he gives, don't put them in a file, just copy what he gives you into the terminal after you have sudo and make sure that there is a space on either side of the ;. That command will delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as soon as its created, very helpful.

3. After you've done the install and edited the "1" file (Hint: sometimes you can't open applications after the update BEFORE you restart. So if you have to you can use the nano terminal editor to fix the "1" file, you'll need something with root permissions to look inside that folder anyway.)

4. Do NOT restart. Copy the kexts you backed up into the extensions folder. Then replace the kernel. Check/repair permissions as needed.

5. Restart with the verbose flag. Yes, it will restart. Real macs do that too after system updates.

Try that. Until I post saying I updated sucessfully, I don't know any more about what is needed then what you see above. Good Luck.

theStevo

No, you can not do the update as is. For one thing, you aren't running vanilla kernel now. So when the update installs a newer vanilla kernel, that won't work either. Secondly, even those of us who have machines that are running vanilla couldn't do it as is because the update wants to install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and kextload Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext during the update restart.

I haven't done the update on my ASRock box yet, I hope to do that tonight. However, theoretically, this is what you'll need to do.

1. Backup the following: the kernel, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleVIAATA.kext, NVInject (Natit), VIARhine.kext, ALCInject.kext

Just make a folder somewhere and copy them in.

2. Go to Netkas.org and follow his directions to the letter. A hint about the terminal commands he gives, don't put them in a file, just copy what he gives you into the terminal after you have sudo and make sure that there is a space on either side of the ;. That command will delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as soon as its created, very helpful.

3. After you've done the install and edited the "1" file (Hint: sometimes you can't open applications after the update BEFORE you restart. So if you have to you can use the nano terminal editor to fix the "1" file, you'll need something with root permissions to look inside that folder anyway.)

4. Do NOT restart. Copy the kexts you backed up into the extensions folder. Then replace the kernel. Check/repair permissions as needed.

5. Restart with the verbose flag. Yes, it will restart. Real macs do that too after system updates.

Try that. Until I post saying I updated sucessfully, I don't know any more about what is needed then what you see above. Good Luck.

theStevo

Thx thestevo for valuable informations, i wont do the update till you post ur experience about it , im not in a rush

keep the good work , you are the man :)

Hi litania Thx for warning me about the update , im already tired for a new install :) now downloading the kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate , do you think its much safer to apply ?and what about other minor apdates, are they safe too , like itunes, quicktime ..hear from u soon ^_^
I do install any update given, so go on, don't worry (of course dl the ones u need).Hi stevo,I thought that the 10.5.2 kaliway combo is modified so that it won't install kernel and change kexts? Enlighten me mate, i am a bit confused.Thanks

I don't know, the kalyway update might work. I haven't tested it. However, either it does update to the new vanilla kernel or it doesn't update the kernel it at all (which vanilla users wouldn't like). Looking at the torrent I don't know which way it is. It might be just for vanilla users because vanilla users can't do a normal install either.

Try it if you want. Might work.

I do install any update given, so go on, don't worry (of course dl the ones u need).Hi stevo,I thought that the 10.5.2 kaliway combo is modified so that it won't install kernel and change kexts? Enlighten me mate, i am a bit confused.Thanks

Hi all,

i did update thestevo kalyway 10.5.1 with the kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate , update install went fine , and i had to reboot twice to get the desktop ,everything worked well

only problem i have now is the net that drops frequently and freezes the desktop , so i had to reset each time :)

any solution to this problem of net ?