theStevo 4.0 Patch for the 775Dual-VSTA

thestevo

121 posts in this topic

Kalyway 10.5.2 ComboUpdate worked great. I installed the modified kernel from the Kalyway kernels package and that worked great. The NVinject drivers had to be removed before the upgrade, then installed again after the upgrade to get my video to work.

The stevo help plzzzz

my connection keeps dropping frequently by interval of 5 to 10 minutes , sometimes my desktop freezes and cant do nothing but to rest the system ;i have an adsl router and im running net on DHCP , do you have any idea how to bypass this issue

thx in advance

Hi theStevo, a friend of mine put in me in touch with this site and your link, ive tried installing 10.5.1 to no avail, after reading your posts and reply im still in the dark on where to actually download your patch from, call me a newb, but Q: Where is it?

A: Down by the BAY, where the watermelons grow... made no sense to me whatsoever, maybe its cos im off work with flu or something ?

I hear there's a PIRATE's buried treasure at the BAY

Hi theStevo, a friend of mine put in me in touch with this site and your link, ive tried installing 10.5.1 to no avail, after reading your posts and reply im still in the dark on where to actually download your patch from, call me a newb, but Q: Where is it?A: Down by the BAY, where the watermelons grow... made no sense to me whatsoever, maybe its cos im off work with flu or something ?

Hey rtomek,I agree. Full duplex is the most important thing. While setting MTU so low is not a good idea imho. See if networking is ok only changing full duplex and reseting MTU to standard 1500. If it's not, try putting the attached file into your /etc/ folder (unzipped!) and restart. Note: use chown root.wheel /etc/sysctl.conf to make owner rights right once it's there.sysctl.conf.zipAnd jump over here to check your config. @litania: do the file thing directly.

Not sure what did it, but I put your file in my /etc folder before installing 10.5.2 and it has solved my network problems.The network on this computer is very very slow. The max downloads I am getting is around 200k/s when I can get 900 or so using my Asus mobo. Also, trying to transfer a file over the network is excruciatingly slow, like 50k/s. It was always slow whenever I actually had it working in 10.5.1 as well, any clues to what can be going on?

I hear there's a PIRATE's buried treasure at the BAY

Not sure what did it, but I put your file in my /etc folder before installing 10.5.2 and it has solved my network problems.The network on this computer is very very slow. The max downloads I am getting is around 200k/s when I can get 900 or so using my Asus mobo. Also, trying to transfer a file over the network is excruciatingly slow, like 50k/s. It was always slow whenever I actually had it working in 10.5.1 as well, any clues to what can be going on?

ahh, lol the bay thats to - rent, i get it now, duh! lmao, tyvm :-)

Ok ive managed to download 4.0, i have the 10.5.1 iso, managed to get PPO-matic, im just a little lost with regards to the "Iceberg" application ???

(what is it and why do i need it?)

Hi Stevo,

Hope u r dedicating a bit of ur precious time to develop a new patch for the 10.5.2. I used the kaly combo and installed on a fresh install without audio, network, graphics. After that, i stil got a few issues as i had b4 anyway. Installed the graphics update fro apple and no change whatsoever. Difference from 10.5.1....................timeshift icon set on the top menu, and that's it! Tried to copy/paste the new system.kext and the other provided by kaly and i got kernel panic. 2 install my nvidia 7600gt pcie i used the new nvinject v.31, and it worked even if it says that is for vanilla, but............d bloody mouse tearing is still there.

A bit messy, can't risk my stevo patched 10.5.1, got 2 much on it!

By the way i tried 2 install your patched kaly on ide hdd & got panic, strange, normal?

As said i used the normal kaly 10.5.1 unpatched on ide hdd, the only i had available.

last quest, can i install leo on a raid? by using 2 ide hdds.

Thanks a lot mate,

ur help is more than appreciated!

Hi thestevo :angel:

i managed to get kalyway 10.5.1 to install on my asrock 775dual-vsta by the help of your latest patch, but as my ethernet connection keeps dropping every 5 to 10 minutes, and impossibility to connect directly via modems cause of lack of drivers , i decided to try the kayway 10.4.10 and see if it works better especially resolving the issue of net

my question is , can i apply your latest patch , the 4th, to the kalyway 10.4.10, or is there another patch ?

thank you so much

Hi thestevo :angel:

i managed to get kalyway 10.5.1 to install on my asrock 775dual-vsta by the help of your latest patch, but as my ethernet connection keeps dropping every 5 to 10 minutes, and impossibility to connect directly via modems cause of lack of drivers , i decided to try the kayway 10.4.10 and see if it works better especially resolving the issue of net

my question is , can i apply your latest patch , the 4th, to the kalyway 10.4.10, or is there another patch ?

thank you so much

Hi mate,

about the bet drop problem, the solution was given in this forum, just look at the first pages for rickx.

I have updated to 10.5.2 and with a bit of hard work looking around the forum u can do a lot. I even solved the mouse tearing problem.

So look 4 it, and u get it worked!

cheers!

Hi mate,

about the bet drop problem, the solution was given in this forum, just look at the first pages for rickx.

I have updated to 10.5.2 and with a bit of hard work looking around the forum u can do a lot. I even solved the mouse tearing problem.

So look 4 it, and u get it worked!

cheers!

Hiya Litania , glad to see u around :(

thx for mentioning me the ricks solution , i didnt pay attention at it, but still dont know how and where to put those parametres , i hope he or thestevo could explain me this in a newbish manner , hehehe

take care mate

I don't mean to offend anybody, but please read. Most of these questions have been answered.

1) Iceberg is a part of the instructions for how I made the patch. As it says on the very front page, you don't need to do anything in the guide, unless you want to know how I did what I did. All you NEED is the patch, the original ISO, and the patcher program.

2) Though I am truly flatered by your confidence in my abilities, I haven't worked on the network issue. It don't see that I'll need to. For me, turning off the IPv6 turned the trick. It works at full speed under 10.5.2. I don't gaurantee anybody else's results. If you've been reading rtomek or rickx's posts (to whom I'm most grateful for their exploration of this issue) you see that there are other solutions besides IPv6.

3) I was able to do Kalyway's combo update on the fresh install and had no problems. I still had SATA, ATA UDMA, sound, and network after the update. Furthermore, Kalyway specifically made that package to not touch any commonly essential files. So, if you have troubles updating with Kalyway's updater (which is located at the same place as my patch) then please post specific information about what is wrong, because there is no logical reason for there to be a problem.

4) Yaniss, as far as I know there were never any problems with connection drops on Tiger with this adapter. If the given solutions do not work, you would be able to use Tiger. However, you can not take a PPF patch and have it successfully apply to any iso of your choosing. PPF patches binary. If your iso says 110001 and your patch says to change bit 3, 4, and 5 to "1" then you get 11111. Therefore, if you start with different data, there is no guarantee (in fact it is unlikely) that the result will be readable. It could theoretically start writing a file right in the middle of an existing file. It has no awareness of structure or file placement, merely the order of 1s and 0s. So, no, you can not apply my patch to whatever you wish. If you want to run Tiger, look into my 2.1 patch that is for Uphuck 10.4.9. You can use an updater from there, or leave it as is since none of the newer Tiger updates brought specific feature enhancement for this board.

5) Rtomek, I used the Kalyway combo updater and I still have sleep. I updated the kernel to the new one on Netkas' site, but left the AppleACPIPlatform alone. What all did you change?

Honestly,

Sometime you experience some strange behaviour while installing leo patched or not. This time i installed kaliway 10.5.1 unpatched and surprise in had no sound and net (sound use to work out of the box). Installed the kext, restart.........to make it work i had to enter the usual -f at boot. 1 restart more and now i don't need to anymore, but ............after replacing the appleviaata.kext ........after restart i need again to enter -f at boot otherwise i get the error at start (try reinstalling again, no sata drive on screen). Ant why at the terminal it asks for a pass when i have not set up 1? why by entering the commands for the sata support (0sx86 site) i get syntax errors (never happened b4).

The net after 10.5.2 update was utterly rubbish, but now it stays on forever, but if i dl on transmission, well it last for a few mins!

What i want to say is that sometime you can install the OSX on the same machine, using the same dvd, and the results can be rather different, and i cannot understand why.

Anyway thestevo and others, do u notice a diff when installing the kaly combo update? To install your graphic card, did u use nvinject v.31? And what about that 2 mins delay to get to the main screen? Any idea.

Thanks

I don't mean to offend anybody, but please read. Most of these questions have been answered.

1) Iceberg is a part of the instructions for how I made the patch. As it says on the very front page, you don't need to do anything in the guide, unless you want to know how I did what I did. All you NEED is the patch, the original ISO, and the patcher program.

2) Though I am truly flatered by your confidence in my abilities, I haven't worked on the network issue. It don't see that I'll need to. For me, turning off the IPv6 turned the trick. It works at full speed under 10.5.2. I don't gaurantee anybody else's results. If you've been reading rtomek or rickx's posts (to whom I'm most grateful for their exploration of this issue) you see that there are other solutions besides IPv6.

3) I was able to do Kalyway's combo update on the fresh install and had no problems. I still had SATA, ATA UDMA, sound, and network after the update. Furthermore, Kalyway specifically made that package to not touch any commonly essential files. So, if you have troubles updating with Kalyway's updater (which is located at the same place as my patch) then please post specific information about what is wrong, because there is no logical reason for there to be a problem.

4) Yaniss, as far as I know there were never any problems with connection drops on Tiger with this adapter. If the given solutions do not work, you would be able to use Tiger. However, you can not take a PPF patch and have it successfully apply to any iso of your choosing. PPF patches binary. If your iso says 110001 and your patch says to change bit 3, 4, and 5 to "1" then you get 11111. Therefore, if you start with different data, there is no guarantee (in fact it is unlikely) that the result will be readable. It could theoretically start writing a file right in the middle of an existing file. It has no awareness of structure or file placement, merely the order of 1s and 0s. So, no, you can not apply my patch to whatever you wish. If you want to run Tiger, look into my 2.1 patch that is for Uphuck 10.4.9. You can use an updater from there, or leave it as is since none of the newer Tiger updates brought specific feature enhancement for this board.

5) Rtomek, I used the Kalyway combo updater and I still have sleep. I updated the kernel to the new one on Netkas' site, but left the AppleACPIPlatform alone. What all did you change?

Hi thestevo

first i want to thank you for your reply and all the help you gave us here among with other mates to enlighten newbish like me to install this great os on pc

i will try to apply the ricks trick for the net issue , if still same prob , i will give a try to the uphuck 10.4.9 with ur patch 2.1

if still no success for the drop net issue, then will stick with kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 , till there will be other solutions

thanks for all :P

NB : i found this as a solution for the drop net issue,it didnt work for me, but maybe it will help some of you

http://www.opendns.com/

Hi thestevo,

im running the kalyway 10.5.2 fine on my Asrock 775dual-vsta ,the net is much stable than before , though it keeps hanging from time to time, but for the video im still stuck with 1024x768 , is there a way to apply driver for my Ati Radeon x550 Pcie ?

Thank you in advance

1. What board do you have of the three. (Know for absolute sure! Give full board name as listed above!)

2. Does my patch let the installer find the SATA drives?

3. Is UDMA enabled on IDE drives? (Easiest way to tell is run an xBench on an IDE drive and if the disc results just crawl you'll know its off)

4. Additional info?

1 - 4CoreDual - Sata2

2 - No SATA drive recognized (It only recognizes 80gb IDE)

3 - Isn't enabled, the system is just too slow and unstable.

4 - On-board lan is recognized, however it doesn't recognize the network cable, the rest of the stuff work's. And I am able to update to 10.5.2 without a problem.

Do you have any advice to solve SATA and Network issues? (They both work in windows and ubuntu, so it's a driver's problem :) )

1. What board do you have of the three. (Know for absolute sure! Give full board name as listed above!)

2. Does my patch let the installer find the SATA drives?

3. Is UDMA enabled on IDE drives? (Easiest way to tell is run an xBench on an IDE drive and if the disc results just crawl you'll know its off)

4. Additional info?

1 - 4CoreDual-VSTA

2 - I didn't have my SATA drives attached sorry! Recognised my 40gb PATA ok though.

3 - I don't think its enabled. Still runs reasonably fast though.

4 - On-board LAN works, but audio does not? It may be a bios issue however (since I usually use a different soundcard) - will check that. and audio is working too. Had to fiddle with the bios a bit to get it there, but it works great now - sound comes from green output.

Thanks very much theStevo for making the install relatively painless! I should have read this forum completely first, but 6 installs later, I'm just happy that it works!! :angel: Along the way, I ran into the b0 error, the must reboot error, and finally just when I thought I had it working, the automatic 10.5.2 update broke my install... :P Needless to say, I've set automatic updates to off now.

Q: Is 4CoreDual-VSTA supported?

A: As far as I am aware you should be able to get a working SATA install with network and sound from this disc. HOWEVER, this version does not include UDMA support for the 4CoreDual-VSTA. I have received a kext file from a 4CoreDual-VSTA user (Thank you Lean) that has UDMA on SATA fully working and I will release an updated version that only 4CoreDual-VSTA users need download, however it will include 775Dual-VSTA support also. UDMA support can be achieve seperately from this install disc by replacing AppleVIAATA.kext or modifying it.

Any idea when this updated version for 4CoreDual users will be released? Actually, a copy of the modified kexts or some instructions on how to modify it would also be great! :P Thanks!

Ok, I'll try to respond to these in turn. My apologies if I miss anybody. I wish I had the time that I used to have to read and post on the forum, but I unfortunately do not.

I don't know why the installations are different. Personally, I haven't experienced it except for the network issue that I used to have on this board. My other installations have all been rather consistent. It may stem from the fact that the Rhine driver is a port. We should recompile it for Leopard, but that's easy for me to say. And, Litania, are you sure that when the sound 'used' to be on automatically it was using AppleHDA instead of AzaliaAudio, because its generic and doesn't really use all the hardware.

About the sleep/shutdown issue... that's weird. Try a previous AppleACPIPlatform. I haven't experienced that yet, sounds intermittent so maybe its coming.

Yanis, I think that graphics card works. I don't own one, and this isn't the thread for that topic. Search the forum, I recommend starting with ATI Natit.

Thank you gansolfm and zeffa for the information. I truly appreciate that you answered the questions asked, in that form, it helps a lot.

Zeffa, yeah I have it. I haven't released it because I was tinkering with stuff for SATA-2 (didn't get completed) and I got sidetracked (forgot), my bad. I'll try to release it Monday as 4.1 PPF, to be applied over the first. That way those that didn't make a copy before they PPFed the original won't have to go nuts figuring out how to get the original to patch again. Plus, it will be really small.

Okies, everybody good?

theStevo

P.S. Let me just use this post as an outlet to say that running vanilla kernels isn't all its cracked up to be. First, no power management. In a real Mac the EFI takes care of that but since the vanilla kernels have no built in controls for us, we're out of luck. AND, I was disappointed that I couldn't apply 10.5.2 through system update. Yeah, small matter to get around things, but I thought vanilla meant real mac, so to speak. I've switched back to hacked kernels. My system shuts down, my power management works, and I wait like a day and Kalyway releases the update pkg anyway. So, no biggy that this board can't do vanilla. PC EFI, huge benefit. Vanilla kernel, not so much.

It works on my 775Dual-VSTA, but:

on the first install (EFI_MBR, NATIT for FX5200) I had the problem that the network goes down (like many others). The network problems are even with a different NIC (RTL8139), so it seems to be MAC OS related rather than onboard NIC related.

No wakeup from sleep, shutdown most of the time not working.

ATA Drive has no DMA.

Finally I installed new with EFI_GUID and NVinject.

Shutdown, sleep and wakeup work now, network not tested too much - but seems okay until now.

But still no DMA on IDE. Would really like to fix it, as I don't want to buy new SATA HD and DVD.

AppleVIAATADriver is reporting VIA Unknown at boot -v.

Any Ideas how to turn on DMA?

Also a strange problem with some applications like Chess - hanging after shot time.

[EDIT]

Network problem still exists with RTL8139 (e.g. burning a DVD over Network connection doesn't work).

Got the IDE DMA not working, so I am using SATA HD and DVD with full speed.

Has anybody an idea why the network is loosing the connetion on heavy traffic? (sometimes the problem appears after copying a few gigabytes over the network).

Zeffa, yeah I have it. I haven't released it because I was tinkering with stuff for SATA-2 (didn't get completed) and I got sidetracked (forgot), my bad. I'll try to release it Monday as 4.1 PPF, to be applied over the first. That way those that didn't make a copy before they PPFed the original won't have to go nuts figuring out how to get the original to patch again. Plus, it will be really small.

Oh man, i can't wait to see that coming out, i want to use only osx, i am sick of XP, you think that patch will solve my network issues? The big problem is that i have 2 network cards, the onboard and a cheap realtek, but i need them both, because i share my videos/music/etc with my xbmc ;) and i use the other for internet! The realtek works great, but i have the issue that i've talked before with the onboard lan.

hi stevo,

thanks for all the work youve done very appreciated,

ive tried every single different version of leopard and none of them seem to work,

the first time i put in the original kalyway and iatkos disk i was able to install but encounted numerous errors and i was never able to boot into leopard, today i tried your patch and the disk wont even boot it gives me an ebios error continuesly

am i doing something wrong or what?

any help from anyone would be appreciated its annoying me over the last 2 months trying to install it but it never works but ill carry on till i suceed who wants windows if u can have leopard on the same pc lol

the stats of my machine are:

intel core 2 duo E4400 2.0Ghz

Asrock Dual 775-Vista

Nvidia 8500 gt

both hard drive and dvd drive are ide running off different cables.

Please help lol...

Thankz

Wez