Gateways EFI models with Windows XP... how did THEY do it?

eobet

90 posts in this topic

Umm, I don't think anyone will win the prize... because it's osx64 not osx86! Check out this article where Intel admits the chips are 64 bit: http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/intel/intel...sers-153822.php

By the way, can anyone check if a 64 bit Windows (or 64bit Vista) will boot off of the Intel Macs...

Do I still win the prize if this works? Or, do I have to wait till I get my MacBook Pro - that will be too late (I posted the link first).

Dude stop spamming all the threads with the x64 stuff. Its in the CPU but turned off from what I can tell (Just like HT was present but disabled on P4s early on). Its unlikely it can be enabled and besides x64 isn't even remotely the reason we can't boot. Oh and no getting Vista to boot will not be winning any prizes.

:blink::poster_oops:

OK, I'll make a note of that for next time... Meanwhile, maybe you take your negative attitude somewhere else.

I guess you aren't allowed to get excited around here when you find out something that could allow you to dual boot. I mean, has anyone even tried putting an x64 Windows XP install disc in their Intel Mac?

Next time, I'd like to see some solid proof before you :laser: someone... :thumbsdown_anim: . No proof?

KublaKhan

P.S. By the way, how much is that prize? First off, no one will even be able to verify they came up with the solution... :hysterical: So, what's the point in taking the whole prize thing so seriously? :o Are we not allowed to be funny in the OSX86 forums? :poster_oops: Sorry I really didn't know... maybe next time when I actually get Windows XP to dual boot on my MacBook Pro I don't need to tell you about it :o - you'll already know.. :angel: ....O.K. then keep blasting if you want to figure out everything yourself.

Wave your magic wand :sorcerer: and figure everything out through all your biases... (By the way, 64bit is backward compatible to 32bit... how do you know Mac OSX isn't taking advantage of both things - you must be Apple insider or a genius.)

Consider this my last positive post on this forum (Dual Booting) because you, apparently, shouldn't be positive in here... huh?

Some people make me sick...

Actually I did try an x64 Windows CD so I already had a basis for what I said thanks. EFI support was only built into the x64 version of windows that would only run on the itaniums as they had their own x64 implementation. As for the cash prize I guess its best use is for spuring the community along. It may not end in someone getting the actual prize but it may help various peoiple put things together to end up with a mutual solution (aka someone creates a proper CSM and then another integrates it into the EFI and manages to get a boot solution or so on). Anyway I wasn't trying to be negative. I just don't think people appreciate someone posting the same info in a bunch of threads at the same time when 1 would have sufficed.

Actually I did try an x64 Windows CD so I already had a basis for what I said thanks. EFI support was only built into the x64 version of windows that would only run on the itaniums as they had their own x64 implementation.

Actually, the Itanium is not x64 (also known as x86-64, IA32-64, or IA32 with EM64T extensions). The Itanium is IA64, which is not compatible with anything 32-bit . The Pentium 4, the Xeon, and perhaps Yonah (but definitely Merom) are x86-64.

EFI support is only included in Windows 2003 Server IA64 for Itanium and Windows Vista (x86 (IA32) and x86-64 (IA32 with EM64T).

Yea thats what I was trying to say but you were more specific thanks. They killed the Itanium XP before it was released now that I think about it didn't they. I forget alot thanks to all the articles MS has about x64 Windows and the Itanium. Now....I need to get me a copy of 2003 IA64 so I can look at those efi files on it. Prolly won't do me a lick of good but its something to pass the time.

Update: I grabbed the trail version of 2003 server for the Itanium and from what I can sell it seems to not have EFI support. Now thats not saying that the regular version or the OS itself doesn't support EFI but the needed files for booting the CD via EFI are not on the trial image MS provides from what I can tell. Figured I'd let everyone know before they started downloading to play with it.

I need to get me a copy of 2003 IA64 so I can look at those efi files on it. Prolly won't do me a lick of good but its something to pass the time.

Update: I grabbed the trail version of 2003 server for the Itanium and from what I can sell it seems to not have EFI support. Now thats not saying that the regular version or the OS itself doesn't support EFI but the needed files for booting the CD via EFI are not on the trial image MS provides from what I can tell. Figured I'd let everyone know before they started downloading to play with it.

Windows Server 2003 for IA-64 Itanium does have EFI support (although I haven't verified that). In fact, EFI is part of the IA-64 platform, all operating systems supporting IA-64 support (and require) EFI.

I vaguely remember someone talking about this, but would there be anyway to modify the EFI components from 2003 Server for Itanium? Would that be easier than making a custom bootloader?

Oh, and Kubla Kahn - it's ok to stay positive. :) That's what this forum is all about. I think there was some miscommunication, but yeah... humor and happiness are all the rage here.

I vaguely remember someone talking about this, but would there be anyway to modify the EFI components from 2003 Server for Itanium? Would that be easier than making a custom bootloader?

No. Itanium (IA64) is completely different from IA32 (Pentium, CoreDuo, ...).

The IA64 EFI bootloader doesn't even support loading IA32 operating systems (because it that is not needed on the IA64 platform as it does not have any IA32 compatibility).

I thought so, Mashugly. I forgive...

But, it looks like (according to other forums) that EFI isn't the only problem. There is also something about the display... I guess I can wait till Vista to boot Windows... I just was hoping I could still use my XP cd incase Vista has some stupid protection "side effects".

• 2 weeks later...