CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

Dear Chun-Nan:

I need your help for my PCMCIA. The PCCARD. 10.4.11.beta3 was working for me perfectly driving the D-Link wireless card. One day last week, it suddently stopped working. I could not find the wireless adapter or any PC Card in the system profiler.

then I check with dmesg | grep PC and found error message:

IOPCCard: shutting down socket 0.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): unable to create cardbus nub for socket 0.

I ever since had tried to re-install the MAC OS X 10. 4.9 but could not solve the problem. Does this mean the hardware problem or software problem?

Thanks a lot.

Hi everybody

i'll give you my experience with pccard, if this can help some of you

i've acer aspire 5613 (5610 series)

cpu: t2300 1.86ghz dual core, nvidia geforcego7300, pcmcia ENE712, la: bcm440x, wifi 3945 and dwl-g630 (pccard), sound ALC883

in 10.5.2 it was working right with chunnan rev8

ive update my computer to leopard 10.5.3,10.5.4,10.5.5 and finally 10.5.6. PCCARD is no longer working

i've tried with v 10.5.2, and version pcmcia, with no success

so i've back to rev8, backup iopccard and iopci family and replace them with the files of rev8 archive, repair permissions

first boot panic. second boot with -f

and pcmcia works like a charm (for the moment...)

thanks again to chunnan for it's hard work

- no longer work since securityupdate 0901

computer freeze when i insert pccard, then reboot

i've modify io80211networkfamily.kext/.../appleairportartheros and added ,1a in iopcimatch, but no success

looking for ...

Hi everybody

i'll give you my experience with pccard, if this can help some of you

i've acer aspire 5613 (5610 series)

cpu: t2300 1.86ghz dual core, nvidia geforcego7300, pcmcia ENE712, la: bcm440x, wifi 3945 and dwl-g630 (pccard), sound ALC883

in 10.5.2 it was working right with chunnan rev8

ive update my computer to leopard 10.5.3,10.5.4,10.5.5 and finally 10.5.6. PCCARD is no longer working

i've tried with v 10.5.2, and version pcmcia, with no success

so i've back to rev8, backup iopccard and iopci family and replace them with the files of rev8 archive, repair permissions

first boot panic. second boot with -f

and pcmcia works like a charm (for the moment...)

thanks again to chunnan for it's hard work

- no longer work since securityupdate 0901

computer freeze when i insert pccard, then reboot

i've modify io80211networkfamily.kext/.../appleairportartheros and added ,1a in iopcimatch, but no success

looking for ...

Hi..

I've got the same problem like yours, I've tried several ways then the problem solved when I tried insert pc card to the upper slot on the mainboard (below PCI-e), and it works like charm.

hope this will help you.

I'm using ASUS P5LD2-SE and 10.5.6 vanilla kernel.

Hi Chun Nan,

Thanks for creating this great kernel extension! I don't use PCMCIA cards personally, but your kexts saved me from the 10 minute boot time problem on every single install so far :)

Hy! I remove the 3 kext i have in extensions then i only install latest IOPCMCIAFamily.kext always with the "khelper" then reboot and get the kernel panic! I didn't even install 2.1.2...
1) I tried your latest rev for 10.5.6 , however, after applying it the system wouldn't boot, it just hangs (still not sure if I am getting long boot time again) , is there any major change between rev8 and the latest rev? Anything suggestion I can try? any logs you want me to provide?

2) I have Ricoh 5C476 (II) on my HP 8510w which is not working eith rev8 , is there anything I can do to fix this.

I share a similar experience with Panda_N_Shark and danillll. I installed the leopard 10.5.6 version of IOPCMCIAFamily.kext and it caused kernel panic on my HP 8510w running iPC 10.5.6. I'll post a screenshot of the panic shortly. Please find attached a screenshot of my kernel panic.

I've seen quite a few kernel panics in my time but this one is really strange. No error messages and no stack trace at all. When I booted with "-v -f" it just freezes but without giving any errors. When I boot without flags I just get a black screen after the white apple screen.

I've also typed up the entire screen since the picture wasn't clear.

npvhash=4095
hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
PAE enabled
64 bit mode enabled
Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root; xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000us
vm_page_bootstrape: 510320 free pages and 13968 wired pages
mig_table_max_displ = 79
Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCCardFamily" with newer version (1.6.4 -> 3.3.0).
Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" with newer version (2.5 -> 3.3.0).
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;
use only one style.
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;
use only one style.
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalIpicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=2 LocalIpicId=1 Enabled
Loading security entension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall
Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt
calling mpo_policy_init for mb
Seatbelt MACF policy initalized
Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)
calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
Seatbelt MACF policy initalized
Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1993
                The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
OpenHaltRestart: 2008 A COPYRIGHT PSYSTAR CORPORATION (www.psystar.com)
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;
use only one style.
mbinit: done
Security auditing service persent
BSM auditing present
use only one style.

Since 10.5.6 takes around 10 minute to load without a working PCMCIA kext, I'll rollback back to Kalyway's 10.5.2. Please let me know if I can help by providing any logs.

post-410120-1240033213_thumb.png

I'm having the same problem. On my HP 8510w laptop, installed retail 10.5.6 and panic once IOPCMCIA family installed. Tried all older version and no joy. Also moved HDD to my HP 6910p and no such problem on that laptop.

The only real difference between a HP 8510w and 6910p is that the 8510w has a Nvidia Quadro 570M Graphics Card and the 6910p has a ATI X2600 Graphics Card.

I took the HP 8510w back to Kalyway 10.5.2 and rev8 installs without a problem but surprisingly it doesn't recognise the Ricoh 476 cardbus device properly though as getting PCCARD device errors on boot.

Nihowma Chun-Nan? :)

i dont know how to say..but from first day that i knew i can run os x on pc iv tried many ways...still i confused about somethings after 50 times installing os x...now i can run my os x but there is 2 main problems....i use pcmcia adaptor to use internet...my internet modem is for a company and i got mac driver for my modem...but os x cant identify my pcmcia adaptor thats why i cant use internet (its Rioch R/Rl/RT/Rc/5C475(II),R5c520 or Compatible CardBus Controller in windows)...second problem is my graphic card in ZOTAC nvidia geforce 9600 GT and there is no any driver for it and i run os x in such a weak resoulation....on the other hand,iv downloaded some kernel and .plist files as a driver but nobody writes how to install them...

My System:

Gigabyte ep45-ud3p

intel core 2 quad q9550 2.83GHZ

ZOTAC nvidia Geforce 9600 GT AMP edition

TNX in Advance For ur respond

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether Chun-Nan's KEXTs will work with a Startech Cardbus to CardExpress adapter?

I have a PCMCIA Netgear GA511 Gigabit Ethernet card that I would like to run on an Inspiron E1705, which uses the Express Card slot instead of PCMCIA. The Startech converter works fine under Windows XP, allowing me to run the GA511.

Running Kalyway 10.5.1 without Chun-Nan's kexts, the Startech converter is recognized when I plug it in, but it doesn't automatically recognize the GA511 gigabit card when its plugged into the PCMCIA end of the converter. In the past, I got the GA511 to work on an Inspiron 8600 that used a TI chipset by manually modifying the IOPCCARD.KEXT. I was wondering whether Chun-Nan's kexts might allow the card to be recognized.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Chun-Nan! Thanks for ur work!

i just installed your kext for leo and now i see my TI-1410!

but i have a problem with 3com Megahertz LAN card:

Mac find this Card with Full Name as PCMCIA Card on the taskline . But i have no options in the System Prefereces under "NETWORK" nothing are founded.

Can u help me?

My card

Hello, I have a ENE Technology Inc CB-712/4 Cardbus Controller and I'm using IOPCMCIAFamily kext from chunnan in Leopard 10.5.6. It seems to work since my Broadcom BCM4318 is recognized as an airport and shown in lspci. However, it still says 'unknown vendor' and airport is unable to see any networks (there are many and with good signal). Also ifconfig is able to see the device's mac address, but it also seems to miss some information as it says "media: autoselect (<unknown type>)".

I've been trying many things with the broadcom driver and my exact chipset seems to be completely supported and reported to work by other users (see this thread). Also, it began to appear as an Airport after following the instructions of that thread. I've already checked the exact pci id of my card many times.

Now I'm wondering. It is a problem of the broadcom driver though it seems to be completely supported and working, or the PCMCIA driver is not working completely right even if it's able to recognize the card? I don't have any other PCMCIA card to test the driver and I don't know what else to test.

By the way, trying to use IOPCMCIAFamily.Leopard or the rev8 makes system unable to boot. I have no problem restoring files or permisions in this situation since I have r/w access to the hfs+ partition from linux.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

I've installed 10.5.7 Combo Update. MacOS boots normally. PCI works fine... But I've got a great overheating problem... My laptop gets really hot (I even feel it when I touch the case) and video breaks with CPU heavy loading. Does anyone know what to do with this? I guess that I need to remove some kexts related to CPU power management.

Thanks for reply.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Just spent half an hour to test this thing - no way (((

P5W DH Deluxe - 10.5.7 (using only disabler, dsmos, smbiosresolver and 4 storage drivers through bootloader)

PCI card is detected, but all other devices messed up - no video and so on (((

PLZ Make 10.5.7 version as soon as u can ))))

THANK YOU A LOT FOR THIS GREAT WORK!!!!

PLZ Make 10.5.7 version!

I have - 03:03.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller [1217:7134] (rev 20)

i get this message on 10.5.7:

IOPCCard info: Mac OS X PCMCIA Card Services 3.3.0

IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]

IOPCCard info: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:

IOPCCard info: O2Micro OZ711MP1/MS1 rev 20 PCI-to-CardBus phys mem 0x80106000 virt mem 0x34f07000

IOPCCard info: host opts [0]: [pci/way] [pci irq 16] [lat 64/176] [bus 4/4]

IOPCCard info: PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes

IOPCCard16Device::matchPropertyTable entered.

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "HP"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

pccardffff,1: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 4

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR243 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR241 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR24x PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

I thing there is somthing wrong!

Can someone help me?

Jojo

Hi, friends. I got a problem with my Toshiba P100-257. I installed 10.5.5 iATKOS then 10.5.6+10.5.7 original updates... DSDT override. Kernel+ACPI are completely stock. But my fans stop during the boot. This happens just after loading the PCI drivers. PCI is detected successfully. Here's some information about my laptop sensors that I got from Everest on XP.

Is it possible that PCI drivers cause fans stop at boot?

Thanks for any ideas.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Sensors_Info.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Nun-chan, and others, thanks for all of the help. I have most things working because of your hard work.

However, my TI PCIxx12 controller and components only seem to half work...and that means no firewire!

I tried this from Nun-chan...

How to use?

Backup your original IOPCCardFamily driver (and IOPCIFamily driver)

Replace your IOPCCardFamily driver (and IOPCIFamily driver) with the attached one that contains all necessary modifications

Reboot

As root, type "dmesg | grep PC"; you should see something being found

Welcome to try it. Don't forget to backup the old files before trying it

and got this response...

macintoshiba-portege-m400:~ macintoshiba$ sudo dmesg | grep PC

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled

IOPCCard info: Mac OS X PCMCIA Card Services 3.3.0

IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]

IOPCCard info: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:

IOPCCard info: TI XX12 rev 00 PCI-to-CardBus phys mem 0xd0104000 virt mem 0x34faa000

IOPCCard info: host opts [0]: [pci + serial irq] [pci irq 21] [lat 64/176] [bus 4/4]

IOPCCard info: PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 4): vendor 0x168c, device 0x0013

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 4): found 1 functions

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_config(bus 4)

IOPCCard info: fn 0 bar 1: mem 0xd0010000-0xd001ffff

IOPCCard info: irq 21

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/EHCI@1D,7/AppleUSBEHCI/USB TO IDE@fd100000/IOUSBInterface@0/IOUSBMassStorageClass/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00/IOBlockStorageServices/IOBlockStorageDriver/TOSHIBA MK6021GAS Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2

Note, in particular, the "Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled." I am guessing that is the problem.

The parts that seem to work...(I don't have a PC card that would have Mac drivers!)

CardBus Bridge[0607]...104c...8039...IRQ 21

The parts that sometimes load a driver but don't always and never work

Firewire OHCI IEE 1394[0c00]...104c...803a...IRQ 20

The parts that never even load a driver

Mass storage controller 5-in-1 Multimedia Card[0180]...104c...803b...IRQ 23

SD Host Controller[0805]...104c...803c

Any ideas?

Thanks Chun-Nan 's work,

My compaq presario C500 (C559TU) 's BCM4311 wifi card work fine after install the IOPCMCIAFamil.kext dated 2009-1-5. no need other scripting, just install with kext helper b7.

current config

iDeneb 10.5.7, upgrade from ideneb 10.5.6

Intel Celeron M CPU 440 @1.86GHz

2 GB Ram

80 GB Harddisk

Jim :(

• 1 month later...

just wondering if your still trying to get the wireless card to work..... I recently acquired an internal broadcom wireless card and instantly was recognized but I also installed using iatkos_7 as a base. try to get your hands on an internal card to install and or else try using the a hawkings wireless usb adaptor..... that how I started to jump on the net with my 2510p.... hope this helps alittle

Is this driver still in development? I've tried AnV's as well as Slices iopcmciafamily.kext but this is the only one that works.. kinda.. except for the fact that its making my 10.5.8 system completely unusable as its crashing within 5 minutes everytime.. is it too old for 10.5.8? Please advise?