• Please log in to reply
1040 replies to this topic

Onetrack

Onetrack

one who makes the world tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
You got it, bold text is commands you have to type, volume label is the name of your installation drive

mine is called Leopard, therefore

/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions

etc etc
;)

Dont' worry about asking about questions if you don't know.. i'll help no matter how dumb the question is. :)

For the benefit of noobs like me I think the guide could possibly do with a bit more clarity... just a minor critisism :)

For instance -
I am assuming that the bold text is generally what you type into the terminal
EDIT: OK I see it now :)

[VolumeLabel] ? Is this the volume Leopard has been installed to?

Thanks

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
Bumpity Bump. :D

eleavampas

eleavampas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Can You tell me if AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext that go on the USB drive are from original dvd?
Thanks for this guide:-)

EDIT: or are they on the Brazil Patch "files"?
Cheers

Doug the Impaler

Doug the Impaler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
They are VANILLA kexts from the Leopard DVD. When you do the BrazilMac patching, part of what you do is erase those kexts and replace them with patched versions. This undoes that patch.

Onetrack

Onetrack

one who makes the world tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Exactly but like I show in my guide please do not use the brazilmac postpatch, it will render your system unbootable.

They are VANILLA kexts from the Leopard DVD. When you do the BrazilMac patching, part of what you do is erase those kexts and replace them with patched versions. This undoes that patch.

drfeelgood632

drfeelgood632

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

I don't have the Kalyway boot cd but I have a currently working brazilmac installed leopard upgraded from a tiger install on a badaxe2 mb.

I have upgraded it to 10.5.1 via apple update - putting old kernel back and couple others

I have clean vanilla files - efi 5.2 files

Can I get efi working and if so briefly what steps would I take

Thanks alot
Doc

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
Just remember everyone, this guide is meant for people with Intel "Core" Family CPUs. Such as CoreDuo, Core2Duo, Core2Quad, etc. If you have a CPU other than PC_EFI supported ones, you're going to need a modified kernel. That is all.

-Stell

indiekiduk

indiekiduk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Shame the 945GCMX-S2 has a max of 2GB RAM. Need more for running Parallels.

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Shame the 945GCMX-S2 has a max of 2GB RAM. Need more for running Parallels.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157113

Check out that board, it has the same specs as the Gigabyte that was listed, but can go up to 4GB ram via x2 2GB DDR2 sticks. Plus it's only $50. I think I might go that route for my next build. :)

-Stell

eleavampas

eleavampas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Exactly but like I show in my guide please do not use the brazilmac postpatch, it will render your system unbootable.

OK. So I need to prepare the BrazilMac myself WITHOUT the post patch. Extract AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext from the original Leopard and copy them onto the USB drive, together with pc_efi 5.2 (I have an ATI X1300, so I don't need NVinject). And of course the Kalyway boot CD.Is this correct?My machine is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe running a Core2Duo E6600 at 2.4GHz with 4Gb RAM DDR2, ATI X1300 PCIe, 4xSATA HDDs. That should be ok, right? Any recommended BIOS settings?Thanks for the feedback and the hard work. Keep it up:)

One other thing: I could not find any mention of EFI v5.2 on netkas's blog, so I went with what I had - EFI 5.1. It doesn't say I'm using a Mac Pro, but it does boot the vanilla kernel on my hardware like so:

#leopard. Need any more clues? :)

fuzzywasaduck2

fuzzywasaduck2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVEICE

I get this message when using the Kalyway Make Bootable CD

So far, I've tried different CD/DVD drives and swapped both the Drive and the HD from Slave to Master and visa versa

Any other suggestions??

AHCI mode so far hasn't worked: System Config File '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Not the best start to this endevour :)

EDIT: Both DVD drive and HD are IDE using the same cable/ on the same IDE channel
Also tried using a SATA drive in IDE mode set in BIOS - STILL WAITING FO...

eleavampas

eleavampas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I think that's something to do with SATA HDDs. Sorry I can't be more helpful....

Farx

Farx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Extract AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext from the original Leopard and copy them onto the USB drive, together with pc_efi 5.2 (I have an ATI X1300, so I don't need NVinject).

Is there any dsmos.kext in the original Leopard DVD?
I can find none. Could you tell me where in the original Leopard DVD?
Thanx!

fuzzywasaduck2

fuzzywasaduck2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Posted Image

Here is the error I am getting using the kalyway make boot CD

Any thoughts?

Baring in mind I can get to the installation screen using the BrazilMac pre patched dvd...It seems to
be just this one that's causing the issue

Is it possible to use the BrazilMac disk and then continue with onetrack's instruction from there?

FireballXL5

FireballXL5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

Baring in mind I can get to the installation screen using the BrazilMac pre patched dvd...It seems to
be just this one that's causing the issue

Is it possible to use the BrazilMac disk and then continue with onetrack's instruction from there?

I had similar "waiting for root device" problems with an ASUS P5GC-MX board which had a SATA HDD and an IDE DVD Drive. This problem occurred when the IDE DVD drive was a Slave. Everything worked fine as soon as I changed the DVD drive to a Master. YMMV.

flibblesan

flibblesan

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Could somebody please tell me which IRC channel I can find the download link for this Kalyway boot, or please provide me with a URL via PM? I cannot download this via Bittorrent.

eleavampas

eleavampas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Could somebody please tell me which IRC channel I can find the download link for this Kalyway boot, or please provide me with a URL via PM? I cannot download this via Bittorrent.

You'll find it on The Bay... search for all the files uploaded by Kalyway and you should b fine. It's less than 200Mb ;-)

dksuski

dksuski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

Baring in mind I can get to the installation screen using the BrazilMac pre patched dvd...It seems to
be just this one that's causing the issue

I had "waiting for root device..." on an intel mobo. Depending on your mobo/chipset, you might have to get an ext. usb cdrom drive to complete installation. That's after you have tried all the bios/master/slave configs.
Happy Hacking

Doug the Impaler

Doug the Impaler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
The Kalyway disc is a Tiger disc and it might not have all the hardware support that the Leopard installer does. That's bad news, mang...

macmaniac

macmaniac

hackaholic

• Donators
  • 322 posts
I already have 10.5.1 with patched (sleep) kernel working great on my system. I would like to try this "recipe" as I have tried before to do the EFI thing, without success.

I seek clarification regarding the "vanilla" kexts. I have extracted both the AppleSMBIOS.kext and Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext from the retail Leopard disk. I could not find "dsmos.kext" on the retail DVD.

I looked inside the extensions folder of my currently running Leopard 10.5.1patched hard drive, and noticed dsmos.kext and Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext. are BOTH there. Why is that?

Is dsmos.kext a patched kext, a renamed kext? It is not on the retail DVD, so how can it be a "vanilla" kext.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy