Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Hello

I don't have the Kalyway boot cd but I have a currently working brazilmac installed leopard upgraded from a tiger install on a badaxe2 mb.

I have upgraded it to 10.5.1 via apple update - putting old kernel back and couple others

I have clean vanilla files - efi 5.2 files

Can I get efi working and if so briefly what steps would I take

Thanks alot

Doc

Just remember everyone, this guide is meant for people with Intel "Core" Family CPUs. Such as CoreDuo, Core2Duo, Core2Quad, etc. If you have a CPU other than PC_EFI supported ones, you're going to need a modified kernel. That is all.

-Stell

Shame the 945GCMX-S2 has a max of 2GB RAM. Need more for running Parallels.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157113

Check out that board, it has the same specs as the Gigabyte that was listed, but can go up to 4GB ram via x2 2GB DDR2 sticks. Plus it's only $50. I think I might go that route for my next build. :)

-Stell

Exactly but like I show in my guide please do not use the brazilmac postpatch, it will render your system unbootable.
OK. So I need to prepare the BrazilMac myself WITHOUT the post patch. Extract AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext from the original Leopard and copy them onto the USB drive, together with pc_efi 5.2 (I have an ATI X1300, so I don't need NVinject). And of course the Kalyway boot CD.Is this correct?My machine is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe running a Core2Duo E6600 at 2.4GHz with 4Gb RAM DDR2, ATI X1300 PCIe, 4xSATA HDDs. That should be ok, right? Any recommended BIOS settings?Thanks for the feedback and the hard work. Keep it up:)
One other thing: I could not find any mention of EFI v5.2 on netkas's blog, so I went with what I had - EFI 5.1. It doesn't say I'm using a Mac Pro, but it does boot the vanilla kernel on my hardware like so:
#leopard. Need any more clues? :)

STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVEICE

I get this message when using the Kalyway Make Bootable CD

So far, I've tried different CD/DVD drives and swapped both the Drive and the HD from Slave to Master and visa versa

Any other suggestions??

AHCI mode so far hasn't worked: System Config File '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Not the best start to this endevour :)

EDIT: Both DVD drive and HD are IDE using the same cable/ on the same IDE channel

Also tried using a SATA drive in IDE mode set in BIOS - STILL WAITING FO...

Extract AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext from the original Leopard and copy them onto the USB drive, together with pc_efi 5.2 (I have an ATI X1300, so I don't need NVinject).

Is there any dsmos.kext in the original Leopard DVD?

I can find none. Could you tell me where in the original Leopard DVD?

Thanx!

DSC00228.JPG

Here is the error I am getting using the kalyway make boot CD

Any thoughts?

Baring in mind I can get to the installation screen using the BrazilMac pre patched dvd...It seems to

be just this one that's causing the issue

Is it possible to use the BrazilMac disk and then continue with onetrack's instruction from there?

DSC00228.JPG

Any thoughts?

Baring in mind I can get to the installation screen using the BrazilMac pre patched dvd...It seems to

be just this one that's causing the issue

Is it possible to use the BrazilMac disk and then continue with onetrack's instruction from there?

I had similar "waiting for root device" problems with an ASUS P5GC-MX board which had a SATA HDD and an IDE DVD Drive. This problem occurred when the IDE DVD drive was a Slave. Everything worked fine as soon as I changed the DVD drive to a Master. YMMV.

Could somebody please tell me which IRC channel I can find the download link for this Kalyway boot, or please provide me with a URL via PM? I cannot download this via Bittorrent.

You'll find it on The Bay... search for all the files uploaded by Kalyway and you should b fine. It's less than 200Mb ;-)

DSC00228.JPG

Any thoughts?

Baring in mind I can get to the installation screen using the BrazilMac pre patched dvd...It seems to

be just this one that's causing the issue

I had "waiting for root device..." on an intel mobo. Depending on your mobo/chipset, you might have to get an ext. usb cdrom drive to complete installation. That's after you have tried all the bios/master/slave configs.

Happy Hacking

I already have 10.5.1 with patched (sleep) kernel working great on my system. I would like to try this "recipe" as I have tried before to do the EFI thing, without success.

I seek clarification regarding the "vanilla" kexts. I have extracted both the AppleSMBIOS.kext and Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext from the retail Leopard disk. I could not find "dsmos.kext" on the retail DVD.

I looked inside the extensions folder of my currently running Leopard 10.5.1patched hard drive, and noticed dsmos.kext and Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext. are BOTH there. Why is that?

Is dsmos.kext a patched kext, a renamed kext? It is not on the retail DVD, so how can it be a "vanilla" kext.?

I followed, all of these steps and for some reason when I goto System Profiler it says "There was an error gathering this information" Also when I goto about this mac it says 4ghz Core 2 Duo. Which is wrong because I have the E6750 Core 2 Duo which is 2.66ghz. I have the GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard as well, and 2gb of ram. For some reason my stuff isnt showing the proper speeds.

Regards,

Nick

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157113

Check out that board, it has the same specs as the Gigabyte that was listed, but can go up to 4GB ram via x2 2GB DDR2 sticks. Plus it's only $50. I think I might go that route for my next build. :o

-Stell

But I think OS X will only detect 3GB with that mobo. I think to get 4GB you need to move to 965G but I don't think anyone has managed to get the X3000 to work yet.

So, I gave this method a try.

First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.

Things went smoothly until I got to the ./startupfiletool command, I didn't get the lines of text, I got:

HFS+ detected.

startupfile tool System not cleanly unmounted. or something like that....

I appreciate the effort involved in writing this tutorial.

Still looking for a way to get EFI......thanks anyway.

At least my 10.5.1 patched install is working flawlessly.

Hi - What is your processor? pc_efi does not work correctly with a vanilla kernel on anything less than a core2duo afaik, if you have an older processor

it will reboot loop or lock as you've described.

If you have a celeronD, P4 or PD you must use a patched kernel like the ToH one.

regards,

One

C2D e4300

Anyone with the GMA950, have you been able to change resolutions. Could you please post your instructions if you have done so.

Regards,

Nick

Hey, Yeah no problem. Unfortunately I have no instructions. It has just worked for me on Tiger 10.4.8 and Leo 10.5.0 & 10.5.1.

I had resolution change problems with my Radeon 9600, and it turned out it could not communicate properly with the monitor. Forcing resolution changes at startup with F8 on boot & "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@75" worked for me to get native, but no changing on the fly. Changing the monitor also fixed the problem.

**EDIT: bigvalboa/Nick: Please add system specs including OS version and kernel to your posts/sig. If you are using 10.5.1, I backed up AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext B4 updating to 10.5.1 and put it back afterwards. I don't know if it helped but, that is what I did.

Are you connected VGA or DVI, VGA is fine for me, I hear that DVI support is sometimes not as good.

Cheers,

C.

Awesome write up you did. After several failed attempts of installing leo I had almost give up until I tried your method. Success at last and not a single issue (with leopard at least). Boots perfectly.

Now if I can only figure out how to get vista and xp booting again...

So, I gave this method a try.

First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.

Things went smoothly until I got to the ./startupfiletool command, I didn't get the lines of text, I got:

HFS+ detected.

startupfile tool System not cleanly unmounted. or something like that....

I appreciate the effort involved in writing this tutorial.

Still looking for a way to get EFI......thanks anyway.

At least my 10.5.1 patched install is working flawlessly.

You can't apply the PC_EFI when your in Leopard, because your HDD is mounted. So boot into Single user mode and load it up that way from a USB Flash Drive. :D

Thanks for the replies RE: Getting past STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

In the end I resorted to doing the kalyway CD part on my AMD machine and then continuing with the BrazilMac DVD on the target Intel machine (See spec in sig)

I've managed to apply all of the patches using the terminal using OneTracks and Doug's methods including the EFI patch but...

a big BUT ...

the spinning ball thing will just stop just before a quick flicker of the screen.  If I boot with the Brazil DVD still in, I get a reboot cycle without getting to the grey screen with the apple sign

Triple checked my work - I have done it right

What could it be?

You may not have removed the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and replaced it with the new one, once you do it will fix that error afaik :P

I followed, all of these steps and for some reason when I goto System Profiler it says "There was an error gathering this information" Also when I goto about this mac it says 4ghz Core 2 Duo. Which is wrong because I have the E6750 Core 2 Duo which is 2.66ghz. I have the GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard as well, and 2gb of ram. For some reason my stuff isnt showing the proper speeds.Regards,Nick
You need to unmount the drive in disk utility first, then run the pc_efi command in terminal.. that should set you up.
So, I gave this method a try.First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.Things went smoothly until I got to the ./startupfiletool command, I didn't get the lines of text, I got:HFS+ detected.startupfile tool System not cleanly unmounted. or something like that....I appreciate the effort involved in writing this tutorial.Still looking for a way to get EFI......thanks anyway.At least my 10.5.1 patched install is working flawlessly.