New iMac Duo

scousi

16 posts in this topic

Why would I buy this Mac when it's actually made out of laptop parts? The graphics card is a mobility card also. Only the hard drive is regular.

Early benchmarks, if accurate are not encouraging. I get the same thing from my Celeron D , OC to 3.75 Ghz. It looks cool and ha a lot of features but Apple could do better than that on the performance side of things. I think i'll wait for the next iteration. Hopefully with a Desktop processor.

From early reports from people who played with it (in stores etc), iLife seems to have issues on 10.4.4.

Why would I buy this Mac when it's actually made out of laptop parts? The graphics card is a mobility card also. Only the hard drive is regular.

Early benchmarks, if accurate are not encouraging. I get the same thing from my Celeron D , OC to 3.75 Ghz. It looks cool and ha a lot of features but Apple could do better than that on the performance side of things. I think i'll wait for the next iteration. Hopefully with a Desktop processor.

From early reports from people who played with it (in stores etc), iLife seems to have issues on 10.4.4.

because they want to keep the size of the iMac down. iMac is supposed to be a consumer PC, and for most consumer-oriented tasks, mobile parts are sufficient enough. If you want a full desktop, wait for PowerMac (or whatever the heck its gonna be called)

I'd definitely not trust benchmarks. There is no way your Celeron is as fast as a 2GHz Core Duo. Oh, you overclocked it...so anyway, it isn't like whitebox overclockers are their target market.

This is the way Apple does things, form over function.

I've got a celeron D as well, albeit only oc'ed to 3ghz. While it is pretty fast in single apps, multitasking is crappy. Try a multitasking/multithreaded bench and a celeron will choke no matter what Ghz it is.

Windows is a serious hurdle to multi-tasking as well. Most of the operating system stems from a time where computers couldn't do moe than one thing at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd definitely not trust benchmarks. There is no way your Celeron is as fast as a 2GHz Core Duo. Oh, you overclocked it...so anyway, it isn't like whitebox overclockers are their target market.

yup the celeron d is just garbage even overclocked , a stupid sempron is faster than that poor castrated little oven so how do you think it can tie a dual core pentium m

I agree but I bought a Celeron since this was an experiment for me. I was quite surprised to see it run at 3.8 Ghz so easily. I wanted to be a close to the Dev Box without spending an extra $150 for the CPU. This is a computer I don`t really need.

At that speed, its biggest problem is its L2 cache at 256k.

Intel has dramatically improved the Celeron in the last version. It boggles my mind of why they kept the name since it has a bad reputation. Even the Celeron M (1MB L2 cache)is close to the same performance as the Pentium M but it doesn`t have the power saving features.

Maybe the question should be "Why would I be looking at an iMac for all my CPU and graphicaly intensive needs?" If its because of the cost, then you can't afford the right "Apple" tool for the job. Sounds like you need a dual G5 with the 30in. HD display. I love my intel iMac. Its quiet, has a great looking display, takes up very little room, and can rip, shrink and burn a DVD in about 45-60 min. And above all, its a Mac.

If on the other hand I want to play F.E.A.R w/ 4x AA and 16x AF settings all maxed out, I turn on my overclocked "leaf blower" and put my headphones on. LOL

The iMac has always been based on laptop parts and probably always will be. That's why it's small, quiet, and very integrated. The target market is home and office users who are being productive, doing some minimal multimedia, and using the Internet.

If you want a system with a lot of horsepower and expansion room, it's not out yet. Wait for the big desktop systems.

This has been Apple's strategy for quite some time.

The only laptop parts are the DVD drive and the RAM and the RAM has no performance hit, it's just smaller. The DVD drives for laptops make much more sense. The 5.25" standard is OLD AS THE HILLS and technology has changed and we just don't need all that room any more. The Intel Core Duo is going to be almost as much of a deskto processor as it is a mobile one. Motherboard manufacturers are already announcing ATX motherboards for them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ce D can not be call faster than Yonah, man. The Pent. M core technology is on of the most efficiently tech that Intel ever created. If you can OC it, it can beat the X2.

And how much power your pressy-based core consumes? Can your PC run with only 60W power? I think you can find the real answer.

It's also a mistake to think that just because something is labelled by Intel as being a "mobility" part it is necessarily slower than the comparable "desktop" part.

Consider also that one of the reasons that the new iMac is quiet is because it's not making a lot of heat. The extra money you pay for the "mobility" parts is also reflected in power consumption.