TimeMachine fails backup

theotheo

225 posts in this topic

I recently installed osx 10.5 using a prepatched dvd.

Everything works fine except 'time machine' The time machine application opens just fine, it all looks realy nice. But when I open de timemachine tab in the control panel it gives me an error;

"backup volume could not be found"

Ive tried several disks, both internal and external (usb). All formatted in osx journaled format.

I've restored permissions a million times now.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron

I used to run debian so moving file back and forward using singleusermode or terminals wont be an issue.

Thnx for the quick replies and clear howto's!!! very much appreciated!

edit: I can imagine more people having this problem. Sticky perhaps?

Hi,

If you downloaded the kext using Safari, it has added an extended attribute to the file that will prevent the system from using it. This is new to 10.5 and is obviously an extended security measure. You can easily check this because there is an "@" symbol at the end of the permissions block on an ls : e.g., "drwxr-xr-x@ 10 root wheel 340 2 Nov 14:47 Contents"

The people who got this to work probably downloaded using Firefox.

You can see if there are extended attributes on a file using xattr. Here's a snippet:

bash-3.2# xattr IONetworkingFamily.kext/

com.apple.quarantine <=== not going to work with this!

And to fix this, run:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine IONetworkingFamily.kext

If that doesn't work, you may need to do this recursively if the component files and directories contain the same extended attribute. Thus:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

find IONetworkingFamily.kext -exec xattr -d com.apple.quarantine {} \;

This will take a minute. Ignore the "No such xattr: ..." warnings.

This may be relevant to many different 10.5 problems when files are downloaded using Safari.

I hope this helps.

Quelg

Try quelgs's idea. It works.

Though instead of "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine IONetworkingFamily.kext" I used "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext"

I did have to manually edit the Intel82XX driver inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext to include my Ethernet controller's device ID.

Hmm, thanks for having me try more stuff but it still didn't work :-/

I can try it again but I am having pretty bad luck here.

Any other suggestions?

That's a shame you weren't able to get it to work. Mine worked fine after applying the IONetworking kext replacement (after xattr -d etc. because I downloaded using Safari).

Have you tried in TM options: change disk - NONE and then change disk - YOUR DISK?

Also, is your drive HFS+ formatted? I assume it must be otherwise you wouldn't see it as an option in the first place. Still - worth checking. Also check that the drive is GUID partitioned not MBR. I believe that causes problems in TM.

One final check: is your disk drive name anything fancy with special characters? There have been reports of problems if the name uses special characters. Perhaps worthwhile is to use diskutil to erase the drive, create a simple name like BACKUP and ensure HFS+ (Mac OS Extended - Journaled)

Check in diskutil that the drive has "owners enabled" at the bottom left of the information screen (I suspect TM will need this set, though I'm not sure).

Also, as a last resort, try creating a blank file called ".com.apple.timemachine.supported" in the root of the drive if it isn't already there.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. It does sound like a problem with the IONetworking kext though. It might be worthwhile going through the whole process step by step again as sometimes a step has been missed and isn't noticed.

Quelg

I had given up all hope with my BrazilMac install, which has been working well, except for Time Machine. Then I did this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...hl=time+machine

I dragged and dropped from another partition, repaired permissions as root using chown chmod in Terminal, deleted the extensions cache, and rebooted with the -f.

Time machine started to work on my Lacie USB drive. My ethernet stopped working. With some luck I can edit the IONetworkingFamily.kext to get it going again. At least my Airport was still working.

Can someone tell me what the -f boot option does?

Well I finally got my time machine working again. To do so i used this binary instead: http://rapidshare.com/files/68864781/IONet...-_581_.zip.html

Note that this is NOT the whole kext, just the binary. Just drop that in IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS and replace the old one. Chown/chmod and reboot with -f and time machine should work :mellow:

I finally got the time machine working by using the following patch:

http://rapidshare.com/files/68864781/IONet...-_581_.zip.html

It didn't work after the first reboot, I almost restored my IONetworkingFamily.kext as I did with many previous IONetworkingFamily patches. It worked when I rebooted for the second time.

I believe the UUID error prevents Time Machine from working. You can check if you still have UUID errors by

grep UUID /var/log/system.log

It didn't work after the first reboot, I almost restored my IONetworkingFamily.kext as I did with many previous IONetworkingFamily patches. It worked when I rebooted for the second time.

I believe the UUID error prevents Time Machine from working. You can check if you still have UUID errors by

scannerfm77-leopards-acpi:~ scannerfm77leopard$ grep UUID /var/log/system.log
Nov 20 00:29:31 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 00:50:58 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 00:57:04 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 01:11:31 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 08:29:15 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 22:26:51 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE

Above is my log. Is that mean something still wrong?

scannerfm77-leopards-acpi:~ scannerfm77leopard$ grep UUID /var/log/system.log
Nov 20 00:29:31 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 00:50:58 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 00:57:04 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 01:11:31 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 08:29:15 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE
Nov 20 22:26:51 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID A9AF3639-B133-3172-BBD9-CCB488B6B8CE

Above is my log. Is that mean something still wrong?

If you don't get "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" in your log or when you run some terminal command, you should be alright and your time machine should work (try partition your TM drive with GUID scheme and reselect the drive for TM after done the patch).

If you don't get "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" in your log or when you run some terminal command, you should be alright and your time machine should work (try partition your TM drive with GUID scheme and reselect the drive for TM after done the patch).

I set up Time Machine from start again. It's seem it start to work..... Don't know how....

Time machine didn't work for me (plus there were loads of seperate issues) when I installed Tiger, made an account then installed Leopard on the same partition.

When I installed tiger and then leopard in different partitions pretty much everything in leopard worked out the box, including time machine.

hi the links not working

plz fix it

Maybe i'm just lucky.....

i still get "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors but my Time Machine works fine, i did EXACTLY what you suggested, an now its fine

hi the links not working

plz fix it

It doesnt work for me after trying the two methods :(

At first i tried to change the entire kext, then changing that fle from the vanilla text, but nothing! :blink:

Any suggestion?

btw yes, i get the UUID error number 35! There is also a misteryous line in the grep:

Macintosh kextd[10]: notice - UUID of on-disk kernel (/mach_kernel) does not match running kernel

omg! :)