IPS Driver Error on Forum

~pcwiz

66 posts in this topic

Now don't call me certain on this but maybe you are overloading the MySQL server with the amount of connections. Too Many connections can cause MySQL to stop responding. Also there is this neat thing called the cache folder which stores all the DB logs :(

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, sorry this has cropped back up again today, we are looking into it.

The forum database is pretty huge, and as a result it can be prone to errors when traffic picks up - we have done what we can to optimise the skin to be as quick as possible, and the hosting is extremely beefy: this whole forum is run off an array of SSD drives, hence it's quite snappy.

However, we do acknowledge the IPS driver error has finally crept back today and we are investigating why, and how we can overcome it.

Thanks for your patience

-Ed

Hey guys, sorry this has cropped back up again today, we are looking into it.

The forum database is pretty huge, and as a result it can be prone to errors when traffic picks up - we have done what we can to optimise the skin to be as quick as possible, and the hosting is extremely beefy: this whole forum is run off an array of SSD drives, hence it's quite snappy.

However, we do acknowledge the IPS driver error has finally crept back today and we are investigating why, and how we can overcome it.

Thanks for your patience

-Ed

Finally .. . grazie;_)

this whole forum is run off an array of SSD drives, hence it's quite snappy.

Perhaps you are using the "cheap" JMicron chip based SSD's? Those really suck, especially when used for a longer period. The Intel X-25 based SSD's are good though.

Perhaps you are using the "cheap" JMicron chip based SSD's? Those really suck, especially when used for a longer period. The Intel X-25 based SSD's are good though.

They are X-25 drives ;) We're making some further major improvements to the db soon as well :P

BTW, we fixed a long standing bug tonight which may be related to the IPS errors some people have reported. Please let Ed know if you're still having problems.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They are X-25 drives -_- We're making some further major improvements to the db soon as well :)

BTW, we fixed a long standing bug tonight which may be related to the IPS errors some people have reported. Please let Ed know if you're still having problems.

I still get this on a daily basis. It happens on both windows and osx. Sometimes it shows up when I first try to load the page, and sometimes when clicking reply, etc.

If it comes up I just go do something else, and in like 30 mins it'll work normally.

@zammykoo yeah we thought we fixed this, unfortunately it's when a couple of routine tasks that we have to perform everyday kick in - I've requested to at least change the time of this to something a lots later, but in the long-term we do have a solution for this that we are working towards implementing.

@zammykoo yeah we thought we fixed this, unfortunately it's when a couple of routine tasks that we have to perform everyday kick in - I've requested to at least change the time of this to something a lots later, but in the long-term we do have a solution for this that we are working towards implementing.

No problem :)

Thanks for acknowledging and trying to take care of this issue. I love this forum to where I'd be willing to sit through those messages just to be able to browse here.

Hmm, if this is currently due to daily planned maintenance, we could just simply get redirected to a page that says:

"We understand that you are fans of everything Mac and Apple, but even fanaticists need a little downtime. The InsanelyMac Forums are currently down due to routine maintenance, come back in 15 minutes and we can resume the craziness!"

until the maintenance is over. That's what we do at work whenever we have a planned outage for a critical service during the wee hours. We have people working 24/7, so maintenance has to happen sometime.

This error occurs when the highest percentage of users are trying to

access the website so I think it is a result of too much demand on

the servers = not enough servers.

Otherwise, scheduling maintenance during peak user demand period is a

mistake made by people with less competency, so I don't believe your story.

This error occurs when the highest percentage of users are trying to

access the website so I think it is a result of too much demand on

the servers = not enough servers.

Our servers are powerful enough to deal with virtually any amount of traffic.

Otherwise, scheduling maintenance during peak user demand period is a

mistake made by people with less competency, so I don't believe your story.

The maintenance starts at about 06:00 AM (GMT). So it is late or early depending on where you live.

Besides telling the Site Administrator "I don't believe your story" is neither nice nor polite.

Our servers are powerful enough to deal with virtually any amount of traffic.

The maintenance starts at about 06:00 AM (GMT). So it is late or early depending on where you live.

Besides telling the Site Administrator "I don't believe your story" is neither nice nor polite.

The question you didn't answer is why the maintenance is deliberately

scheduled so as to inconvenience between 70% to 80% of the Hackintosh

users in the world? This situation is relatively recent, why was it changed?

If the problem is due to broken software, why not come out and say so?! I

guess I wouldn't believe that, it's so basic to to be able to change starting times.

The question you didn't answer is why the maintenance is deliberately

scheduled so as to inconvenience between 70% to 80% of the Hackintosh

users in the world? This situation is relatively recent, why was it changed?

Do you have any proof that 80% of "Hackintosh users in the world" are here at 6:00 AM GMT?

If the problem is due to broken software, why not come out and say so?! I

guess I wouldn't believe that, it's so basic to to be able to change starting times.

Our software is not broken in any way. Can you suggest a better time which doesn't inconvenience anybody at all in the world?

About unanswered questions: you didn't answer why you called our host "a liar", because that is basically what you did.

Do you have any proof that 80% of "Hackintosh users in the world" are here at 6:00 AM GMT?

Our software is not broken in any way. Can you suggest a better time which doesn't inconvenience anybody at all in the world?

About unanswered questions: you didn't answer why you called our host "a liar", because that is basically what you did.

I have a sufficient preponderance of circumstatial evidence, an intelligent person doesn't ask for proof when it isn't available.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/w...-users-map.html

The logic is that the area with the highest percentage of computer

users per capita, the largest population, and a high standard of living

will have the largest percentage of Hackintosh users in that base.

That means an area like North America, with 525 million people, and

having 574 computers per 1,000 people and a good standard of living,

will have more Hackintosh users on the average, than an area like

the Scandinavian countries, which have 25 million people. There

is a decent per capita rate, around 500 per thousand own PCs,

and they have a good standard of living. But there just aren't very

many of them.

Again my logic is that people who compete for time on this forum

to fix there Hackintosh, have to be able to afford a PC.

China has about 1.3 billion people. But less than 17 in a 1,000 own

PCs. They have a poor standard of living. More Chinese do go to

internet cafes. The Chinese mostly use pirated Windows or the

government supports Linux. Both those OS support a lot more

hardware than Hackintosh which makes the initial hardware investment

for a PC considerably cheaper for somebody who is poor.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/03/16/the-10...-on-the-planet/

This website again points out what seems obvious to me; people

with more money who live in technologically advanced areas, own

more computers of every type, including more expensive ones, in

part because they can afford it.

You see Australia listed on both websites as having a high computer

literacy rate. Their population is 23 million. 687,000 computer per million.

About 100,000 less per capita than the US which has 325 million users.

Macs were promoted in 1984 during the Superbowl. Still the highest

concentration of Mac users is in California. People grew up seeing the

rich and academics owning Macs while they could only afford PCs.

It was a status symbol. Why do people want Hackintoshes? Is it

because they work nearly as well as Mac Pro for $1,000 less. No,

because they don't. The demand for Macs is highest in the US and

the demand for converting a PC to a Hackintosh is greatest in the

US because citizens of the US have a lot of cultural baggage about

Macs that other countries don't have, they haven't been commercialized to it.

People brag about having a Mac logo on their PC.

"Can you suggest a better time which doesn't inconvenience anybody at all in the world?"

This is a kind of lie. I never said at all or even hinted that there is a

time that doesn't inconvenience anybody at all in the world.

This thread is about scheduling maintenance so that the largest

portion of users using this website are not intefered with. That of

course means a minority will be inconvenienced. The point is, why

should the wishes of the minority or ethically disabled punish the

many and reward the few? Your question implies that a non-existent

issue is part of this discussion.

"About unanswered questions: you didn't answer why you called our host "a liar", because that is basically what you did."

Ed said: "yeah we thought we fixed this, unfortunately it's when a couple of routine tasks that we have to perform everyday kick in - I've requested to at least change the time of this to something a lots later, but in the long-term we do have a solution for this that we are working towards implementing."

Since you have said both the hardware and the software work fine,

then why isn't it fixed? It's because he hid the real reason it wasn't

already fixed behind a couple of remarks that were true as far as

they went, but did not include, obviously all of the truth. Because,

why hasn't it been adjusted already?! Hackintosh has none of the

large user base outside of the US that Linux has, it's not like Linux.

Just out of a point of interest, the time period in which the tasks are scheduled is the one with least demand.

Poco

Which country or large area places the most demand on the servers?

The real reason the site is unreachable is in Ed's post: "unfortunately it's when a couple of routine tasks that we have to perform everyday kick in". We have 2 tasks which occur, Sphinx indexing and database backup.

The place that requests are coming from doesn't really factor into it. As you said we want to inconvenience the smallest portion of users possible, meaning that we should do these two tasks during off peak hours. That time period happens to be right around when the tasks are currently scheduled. Check the graph for more info.

Poco

rps.PNG