How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

A Hamster

118 posts in this topic

I've been trying to do this to.

The flat image install method works REALLY well except for the partition issue. I've looked at DD.exe's syntax to see if I could fill the remaining area of the disk but I haven't had any luck, http://www.chrysocome.net/dd.

If I could boot into Disk Utility off my install BrazilMac install DVD I think I good fix it, but it won't load.

Anyone who wants to collaborate on fixing this, message me if you're interested.

Actually this is fairly easy, but requires a working 10.4. or 10.5 installation on another Harddisk. If you have another one, install the flat image on this as well. Now use Disk Utility to create an image of the volume you had created with the lfat image. If the image is created succesfully, repartition the hard disk and use Disk Utility again to resore the image back to it.

You just have to recreate the bootloader afterwards, if you need a hint look here:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1789

Man, I am really curious to see if you want to risk it. It is a new feature Apple added it to Leopard.Check this out http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

Live Partition Resizing in Disk Utility You may be able to gain disk space without losing data. If a volume is running out of space, simply delete the volume that comes after it on the disk and move the volume’s end point into the freed space.
Keep us posted if you try it!
Turn off journaling, then boot a linux live-cd, do the deed, then re enable journaling.This was reported to work iirc.
nice shoes and legs in your avatar! :)

interesting, after that, i looked it up on google: http://www.friday.com/bbum/2006/04/10/live...zing-boot-camp/

This is via the resizeVolume subcommand:

[albbum:~] bbum% diskutil resizeVolume
Disk Utility Tool
Usage:  diskutil resizeVolume [Mount Point|Disk Identifier|Device Node] size
	<part1format part1Name part1Size> <part2format part2Name part2Size> ...
Non-destructively resize a disk. You may increase or decrease its size.
When decreasing size, you may optionally supply a list of new partitions to create.
Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Valid partition sizes are in the format of <number><size>.
Valid sizes are B(ytes), K(ilobytes), M(egabytes), G(igabytes), T(erabytes)
Example: 10G (10 gigabytes), 4.23T (4.23 terabytes), 5M (5 megabytes)
resizeVolume is only supported on GPT media with a Journaled HFS+ filesystem.
A size of "limits" will print the range of valid values for the current filesystem.
Example: diskutil resizeVolume disk1s3  10G
	 JHFS+ HDX1 5G MS-DOS HDX2 5G
Valid filesystems: "Case-sensitive HFS+" "Journaled HFS+"
"Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" "HFS+"
"HFS" "MS-DOS FAT32" "MS-DOS FAT16" "MS-DOS"
"MS-DOS FAT12" "UFS" "Linux" "Swap"
</size></number></part2format></part1format>

I wonder if it work on a live partition... if not, i'll just go on my not-yet-deleted tiger partition to do it... But i don't wanna risk it, anyone wanna give it a shot?! ;)

AS delish stated b4: that's the only free way I know of doing it( and I have)

In the "Terminal" window, enter "diskutil enableJournal volumeName" (without the quotation marks and with the volume's name in place of "Name") to turn journaling on. Enter "disableJournal" for the second term, with all other items the same, to turn journaling off.

the boot off a linux live cd (ie Ubuntu, etc) and use gparted or similar program to resize partition.

:(

I've been reading lots about how to try and do this.

I don't have the "partition" tab when I select the boot partition in Disk Utility...

nopartitiontabed3.th.png

When I try and turn off Journaling to use the LiveCD and change the size:

my-name-acpi:~ mjaleo$ diskutil enableJournal Leopard

2007-11-03 13:46:10.747 diskutil[240:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2007-11-03 13:46:10.945 DiskManagementTool[241:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Unable to find disk for Leopard

Any ideas? Pretty unreasonable to use since if you install more than 8gb of programs, you have totally filled up the disk.

Also, see those red lines on the screen? Those only happen in OSX with my machine. In vista, they don't show. They only happen sometimes. Any ideas with those?

I've been reading lots about how to try and do this.

I don't have the "partition" tab when I select the boot partition in Disk Utility...

nopartitiontabed3.th.png

When I try and turn off Journaling to use the LiveCD and change the size:

Any ideas? Pretty unreasonable to use since if you install more than 8gb of programs, you have totally filled up the disk.

Also, see those red lines on the screen? Those only happen in OSX with my machine. In vista, they don't show. They only happen sometimes. Any ideas with those?

In order to see partition you have to click on your hard drive not on your partition.

That's what I did, but when you install programs or anything like that, it fills the original install partition and not the new one. So if you install more than 5-8GB of applications, you'll be filling your entire drive and it will run slowly and you can't install anything else.

I want to know how to make the entire partition where the install is, larger.

I have found a way!!

In Windows XP or Vista go to Administrative Tools (in Control Panel) then choose Computer Management->Storage Management->Disk Management

Select the disk where you have Leopard and there select the blank volume. Right click on the empty volume and Select New Simple Volume. Follow the Wizard through but DO NOT FORMAT THE VOLUME. Then click Finish, you might see nothing. Once that's done, restart and go to Leopard.

Once in Leopard open Disk Utility

You will see the new created volume on the same disk Leopard is.

Select the new volume and choose the tab Erase-> Choose the format you want and voila...you have extended your drive with a new partition.

That method just killed my MBR - Leopard won't boot anymore. Need to restore the Darwin bootloader somehow...

For me the way over windows just worked fine.

I managed to resize partitions, but not the one the OS is installed on with diskutil ( the graphic one too), for that you need a fresh HD ( or a 2G Flashcard for my try), erase all partitions , make 2 new ones (HFS+) and choose GUD in options.Afterthat you can resize the partitions.

For me the way over windows just worked fine.

I managed to resize partitions, but not the one the OS is installed on with diskutil ( the graphic one too), for that you need a fresh HD ( or a 2G Flashcard for my try), erase all partitions , make 2 new ones (HFS+) and choose GUD in options.Afterthat you can resize the partitions.

Sorry, I don't quite understand how you did this. Could you elaborate a little more?

Cheers, much appreciated!

Ok, haven't tried the clone image yet. But sure, there must be an easier way. It would so great, this flat image is the easiest way to install osx I've ever seen. A 15Gb partition is very little nowadays, especially when the remaining space is not allocated...

My first partition was 15 GB, I've created a second one 45 GB from Vista and then went into Leopard, erase the second partition and then:

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

Merged successfully, 60 GB!