New Intel Macs: iMac, MacBook Pro

Swad

149 posts in this topic

£1429 in the UK. But knock a hundred or so off that if your a student and ... its still hopelessly unaffordable :-( Oh well 4 weeks to win the lottery then.

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0

i really don't understand how this is overpriced.... it is faster, much faster, than the previous G4 15" and has more features...and it's not "expensive" check out what a dell top of the line laptop runs... The closest i can see, a 15.4 WSXGA laptop with 512mb of ram from Dell will run you, suprise! $2000... that's still a single core at 2.3ghz, nowhere close to a dual core at 1.67ghz... you're basically complaining that apple's top of the line is not cheaper than dell's cheapest... which obviously doesn't make sense... Has anyone here actually worked on laptops before? most all of the PCs i have worked on felt flimsy, and were made entirely out of plastic...cheap plastic... even relatively expensive models... the ibook/powerbook are either polycarbonate or aluminum, built around a magnesium frames... i'm assuming the MacBook is built the same as the powerbook... not to mention the fact that with dell, you have to run windows to get the most out of the built in features (media center).... I'd order one right now if i had the money...and another thing... about rosetta, has anyone actually USED it? people are already stating that "only apple applications" will run now, which is blatently false...Rosetta runs any powerpc app, and does it well, even in the beta OSx86 versions i have used...

i really don't understand how this is overpriced.... it is faster, much faster, than the previous G4 15" and has more features...and it's not "expensive" check out what a dell top of the line laptop runs... The closest i can see, a 15.4 WSXGA laptop with 512mb of ram from Dell will run you, suprise! $2000... that's still a single core at 2.3ghz, nowhere close to a dual core at 1.67ghz... you're basically complaining that apple's top of the line is not cheaper than dell's cheapest...

Dell Home has a new Inspiron E1705 Centrino Dual Core Desktop Replacement 7.75lb Notebook.

Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83Ghz Processor,

1GB/80GB Serial ATA HD, CDRW/DVD,

17in Widescreen,

GeForce Go 7800 graphics card,

802.11ag wireless,

1yr warranty,

Word Perfect, XP Media Center $2299 - $500 off discount in shopping cart = $1799, $24 handling, free shipping. No tax in some areas. $200 less than Dell Small Business

Dell Home has a new Inspiron E1705 Centrino Dual Core Desktop Replacement 7.75lb Notebook.

17in Widescreen,

802.11ag wireless,

1yr warranty,

Word Perfect, XP Media Center $2299 - $500 off discount in shopping cart = $1799, $24 handling, free shipping. No tax in some areas. $200 less than Dell Small Business

Pretty nice, for a DTR. But we're talking about 7.75lb instead of 5.6lbs. :) Different type of machine.

As an avid, veteran ThinkPad user, I think I can add some mo' info...

EDIT: To spec out the high-end T60 (which has a crappy video card,

Nope. These are only the base models. The more "high end" models come with a 64MB X1300 or a 128MB X1500.

but is otherwise 'similar 'http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...goryId=2072541)), the price ends up like $500 less, but it has a horrible video card, is uglier,

That's a matter of taste. But I must confess that I don't like the new one as much as the old ones. Btw, there is a heated discussion among the ThinkPad fan crowd about Lenovo's new design (removed color stripes from the TrackPoint buttons, new design of the UltraNav etc.). Many feel a bit shocked about this kind of evolution, me included.

and has a slower and smaller HD.

May I ask you which model you are talking about? 1951-44U? It's not only inferior graphics and smaller HD. The ThinkPad also does not have a FireWire port, no Bluetooth (that's optional), no DVI, no optical digital audio in/out, and it also misses completely a DVD burner (it features only a combo drive, the DVD burner is an option). The screen has a lower resolution and doesn't seem to be quite as good as the new MacBook Pro's. The ThinkPad has, however, infrared, a modem, one PC-Card slot (which can all be regarded as legacy-type, soon to become obsolete peripherals), an S-Video port and one more USB port. And it comes with a standard three year warranty.

They aren't "similar". The MacBook Pro seems to offer much better value for money. For USD 2000 you get a notebook that is much better equipped than the ThinkPad, with exception of the CPU. But, come on, how huge is the difference between 1.67 and 1.83 GHz? Only few people would really notice such an infinitesimal difference in clock speed.

17in Widescreen,

802.11ag wireless,

1yr warranty,

"Desktop Replacement". "7.75 lb". You don't really want to compare this behemoth to a highly portable, notebook

computer like a MacBook Pro, do you?

Yeah, I know Terry. I was just arguing a similar pricepoint, didn't see the higher end ones there when I was looking, and none of them do offer the same video card as the powerbook (stfu mpb {censored}). Expensive machine, yes, overpriced...not really. I was looking at whatever the priciest model was on the page I linked to at the time I looked. THOSE are definitely overpriced for what you getl

I am not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the new Intel Macs apparently use EFI instead of BIOS (as expected).

Intel-based Macintosh computers use extensible firmware interface (EFI). EFI provides a flexible and adaptable interface between Mac OS X and the platform firmware. This change should be transparent to most developers, but may affect some, such as those who write boot drivers.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/M...17-CH240-284855

What technical issues does this imply for running public OSx86 (10.4.4) on "unsupported" hardware?

What about booting Windows on these EFI machines?

Finally, when should we expect something from Microsoft (or others) that allows Windows to run native under OSx86?

One more thing, the use of ATI x1600 in the new machines means new drivers. What does this imply for ATI cards in general on "unsupported" hardware? Should the OSx86 ATI x1600 drivers run other ATI cards?

Edited by bofors

Not sure how you get around this during bootup (unless someone can just skip that check or whatever, but EFI also uses a different partition table structure). The compatibility layer it has is for peripherals that need BIOS calls, not for the OS itself. Even on XP, only the XP x64 edition can boot on EFI.

So I'm gessing 10.4.4 needs EFI+VT etc to even boot.

Edited by cyrana

So I'm gessing 10.4.4 needs EFI+VT etc to even boot.

No, apparantly not. I am told that Vanderpool Technology (VT) is missing from the current steppings of Core Duo, and may be introduced later.

17in Widescreen,

802.11ag wireless,

1yr warranty,

WOW!! for the same money you can get a dell hunk of plastic that weighs 30% more and is tied to Windows... A larger screen with the same resolution, exciting! Media Center!!! Explain how this is a good deal?

I'm sorry, but i just can't see the point of spending 2 Gs on a plastic laptop that runs media center, which is far from a pro operating system... yes, you can run linux, but only with a lot of work...

Edited by pants

Dear Brothers & Sisters,

Mayhaps you would like to take a look at this Yonah system from Acer :-

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=36&page=5319

Acer system

2 Gig of ram

2 gigz yonah cpu

1.3 mega pixel video cam

ati x1600 with 512 Megz of mem

carbon fiber casing

gigabit lan

wireless with a/b/g standards

5 in 1 smart card reader

dvd dual layer writer

15.4 inch display at 1,680x1050 resolution

extremely thin in design

++ tons more options

been voted editor's choice in many cpu magazine already

I think this system costs much much less then the DELL 9400 yonah system

:dev:

The acer is also ok, but...well its still an acer and only saves you like £30.00 off the apple (in the uk anyway).

MBP: £1,779.00

Acer: £1,761.33

Buying a machine that might not run OS X: Priceless

WOW!! for the same money you can get a dell hunk of plastic that weighs 30% more and is tied to Windows... A larger screen with the same resolution, exciting! Media Center!!! Explain how this is a good deal?

I'm sorry, but i just can't see the point of spending 2 Gs on a plastic laptop that runs media center, which is far from a pro operating system... yes, you can run linux, but only with a lot of work...

Hey, stop the hate! That Dell is a fine machine and it's faster than the Macbook pro in terms of CPU and GPU. And don't mischaracterize the screen, it's not the same resolution as the mac, the 17" has a resolution of 1920x1200.

Hey, stop the hate! That Dell is a fine machine and it's faster than the Macbook pro in terms of CPU and GPU. And don't mischaracterize the screen, it's not the same resolution as the mac, the 17" has a resolution of 1920x1200.

It isn't a notebook, however.

I don't personally know what EFI is, but looks like installing Windows on a new Intel Mac or the other way around won't be as easy as we thought due to the fact that EFI and BIOS sound like completely different booting mechanisms

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/

Yeah, yeah...someone already posted this in the Hardware forum..sue me! :dev:

Buying a machine that might not run OS X: Priceless

Hmm.. looks like the OSx86Project is going to generate alot of Mac sales, ironic but not surprising.

Does anyone expect any problems with converting OSx86 10.4.4 from EFI to BIOS?

Or should we just expect BIOS versions of 10.4 to continue to be released to developers for use on the transition kits?

Edited by bofors

wow that is incredible it started years ago when mac user said mac could not run on pc, that it was impossible to emulate a mac core on a weak x86, then came along basilisk then mac user went "oh ok but you wont be able to emulate ppc", then came along sheepshaver and Pearpc, then they went oh well the ppc G5 is way better then any X86 wich was then proven again wrong when compared to any top performer X86 aside from few instance, then guess what after a year of been proven wrong they switch to X86.

And now what! well its starting again now it "My Pc is better then yours", look its quite simple the Macbook Pro is good as is tons of other Pc laptop and it asnt change {censored} as to the fact that some prefers Mac os and some prefer windows, honnestly i like my window laptop and my huge not so stylish Desktop pc and it offers me all i need in a computer, now i will probably get a copy of Mac os if it get cracked to try it out on a spare hdd but i dont think i will switch for that, dont get me wrong again its just that i am so tired of earing people go "oh my my win is better then your mac etc, etc...".

Edited by ataxy