• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Kee

Kee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Looks like I'm having the same missing files error, with the yellow exclamation mark.

I made sure I followed the instructions properly though :/

Can anyone tell me the exact files they deleted and what they unchecked on the Customize Install screen?

Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I have the Leopard Gold Master dmg.

I tried all the methods described here (Disk Utility and CCC, DVD-R and RW), none of them worked for me.

The problem is that the installation stops before the introduction screen: I can only see the cursor over the 'Sky' image background.

Any suggestions?

fluffy69

fluffy69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
i created a 8GB DL sparseimage from the original image (by restoring to it). deleted xcode, and unwanted langugages from the newly created 8GB sparseimage. now i restore the reduced image onto a 4,3GB sparseimage in order to burn it. only problem left is: it doesnt boot! i cant install leopard from a non-bootable dvd. what did i do wrong on the way?

HelloWorld

HelloWorld

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
anybody getting error messages while buring?

rathalos

rathalos

i H4XX0R B1LL GaT3s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
One thing about it is that:

DO NOT BURN THE DISC IMAGE IN LEOPARD!!!!! USE TIGER TO BURN!!!!!!

hope that brings the message across clearly enough...

fluffy69

fluffy69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
i am doing exactly that. i use my hackintosh to burn the dvd and i want to make it boot on my ibook g4. at first i figured out it could be the name of the dvd, but that didnt seem to be the case.

Kee

Kee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ugh, I don't know what to try now.

I just cannot get it working ;)

Foodie Monster

Foodie Monster

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

anyway, if u do this method of creating a install DVD, the boot time is 15min before it reaches the installer... thats the downside of this method... YMMV...

Ooooh, thaaat exlpains why it took so long to reach the installer! Anyways, just wanted to say that I successfully created a trimmed .dmg with this method, then I used "Converso!" to convert it to an ISO so I could burn it using Nero on my PC (because my iBook doesn't have a DVD Burner). The disc did indeed boot (after a long while but it did), but I didn't proceed with the install yet to see if any errors come up.Would Archive & Install work just fine with the trimmed SL DVD? I kinda want to avoid transferring those 13Gb of info on the laptop wirelessly... just transferring the Leopard DMG and the burn.sparseimage.iso back and forth was a pain in the ass...

i created a 8GB DL sparseimage from the original image (by restoring to it). deleted xcode, and unwanted langugages from the newly created 8GB sparseimage. now i restore the reduced image onto a 4,3GB sparseimage in order to burn it. only problem left is: it doesnt boot! i cant install leopard from a non-bootable dvd. what did i do wrong on the way?

If it's stuck on the Apple screen with the circle thingy below, and you hear the drive working, you are fine: thing is it takes about 15 minutes to get past this stage, it has been posted before on this very thread. However, I can only speak of my iBook G4, so I don't know how it would/should behave on an Intel-based system. Of course, this won't work on OSX86/Hackintosh, so if that's what you are trying you should stop.

King818

King818

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How come there is no english.pkg in the /Volumes/dump/System ? There are lots of other languages, but not english. is this normal?
Also, in the burning process, i should be burning the burn.sparceimage right? My main concern is the english.pkg, I think that's the problem but correct me if i'm wrong.

Cause in the installation, I get:

Install Failed
Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer.
The Installer could not locate the data it needed to install the software. Check your install media or internet connection and try again or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again.

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
I think I've found the solution to the problem!
When you see the error, go to the Window menu, then click Installation Log. It will tell you the missing packages needed. Mine was Asian Text Support.

King818

King818

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think my problem is that I'm missing the english.pkg file :(
Does anyone have it? Can someone upload it? I need it to continue the install without an error I think.

Thanks!

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
Mine doesn't have an english.pkg file.

klaupacius

klaupacius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Can Asianlanguagesupport be removed like the other languages? I ask only because it's not listed as simply a language as the others are.

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Can Asianlanguagesupport be removed like the other languages? I ask only because it's not listed as simply a language as the others are.

You would have to modify your OSInstall.mpkg file. I deleted mine and it wouldnt install.

klaupacius

klaupacius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
THANK YOU Meowy for the quick reply. Even if I only use English, I should keep it in, correct?

I had a bad feeling about taking it out, woops back to the bottom of the ladder I go.

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

THANK YOU Meowy for the quick reply. Even if I only use English, I should keep it in, correct?

I had a bad feeling about taking it out, woops back to the bottom of the ladder I go.

Yes, keep it in. :( I removed it and it wouldn't install.

softtack

softtack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To everyone having problems with the missing file error during installation, make sure you've followed these guidelines:

- ONLY remove the printer drivers and languages you don't need. With no printers and only Japanese and Korean left, I was able to get the image size down to 4.2GB
- During setup, after you select which hard drive/partition, click "Customize" and uncheck everything you removed from the original DMG.

I don't think the guide on the first page covers the second point and I found that to be my problem my first time around. I also removed a few other pkgs that caused errors during installation.

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
X11User and AdditionalFonts are safe to remove.

King818

King818

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Are the manuals safe to remove? I've gone through 5 DVD's so far. Using the installation log, I found out I need to keep Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Duthc, Danish, Finish, Korean, Norweigan, Sweedish, Simple Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, otherwise I'll get a missing file error :rolleyes:

Customize install doesn't let me uncheck those files, so it's going to be hard to condense it.
6 try is a charm?

I'm not going to delete any languages this time. Can I get rid of the 120mb manual?

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Are the manuals safe to remove? I've gone through 5 DVD's so far. Using the installation log, I found out I need to keep Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Duthc, Danish, Finish, Korean, Norweigan, Sweedish, Simple Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, otherwise I'll get a missing file error :rolleyes:

Customize install doesn't let me uncheck those files, so it's going to be hard to condense it.
6 try is a charm?

I'm not going to delete any languages this time. Can I get rid of the 120mb manual?

You need to click the Customize button before installing and uncheck all of the boxxes you can when installing.
--
You can remove the manual.

AdditionalSpeechVoices is removable if you edit the installer script. I was able to fit it on my 4gb iPod mini without any Languages, Printers, X11, Xcode, Manuals, AdditionalFonts and AdditionalSpeechVoices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy