1. First, you need to download my file pack from this post. Extract it as-is on the desktop somewhere.
2. Open a terminal.
3. Do this: sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*
This removes the old drivers.
4. Drag and drop all the files from my Extensions folder you just downloaded into yours, authenticating when prompted.
5. Hit the back button in the finder, and open the Frameworks folder.
6. do this in the terminal: sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL*
7. Drag and drop the new OpenGL file into Extensions.
8. Now it gets tricky: You need to duplicate some of the instructions from the original 7500 pack I got these files from (unfortuately, the original pack's instructions are incomplete)
1. Run the Installer Package. Do NOT reboot yet.
2. Open Terminal and enter in the following
1. Locate AGP in the output. It will most likely be listed as AGP@1, but your machine may differ. You will see "compatible" = <"pcixxxx,xxxx","pciclass,xxxxxx">
The first set is the item you should note.
Enter the following at Terminal:
sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext
Change this to reflect the information you got above.
cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x
Now enter the following at the Terminal prompt:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext
Now enter the following at the Terminal:
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
Add the following in the middle somewhere after the Kernel key, but before a Quiet Boot or Boot Graphics key.
cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x
Now open Disk Utility to be safe (this stepp is not required, but highly recommended) and run Repair Permissions on your disk."
9. Now that you've done all that, there' still one more step, which I learned from 7500-working.doc, found on these forums.
"First, open up a terminal session and go to the location of those temporay files, and tweak the contents of the AGPGART package. Go to AGPGART.kext/Contents/Info.plist and edit it as root. (sudo nano Info.plist) ??We want the kernel to recognize the 855PM GART interface as the AGP GART. ?Look for the line beneath IONameMatch that reads pci8086,2561. It should now be pci8086,3341. (Thinkpad T30 or Dell C640 users with the i845MP should use pci8086,1a31 instead.??Save it. (Use Ctrl-X, y to save and exit)"
Since I have a latitude 640, I used the one that step reccomended. Your mileage may vary.
Once all this jazz is taken care of, it's time to make doubly sure the permissions are right.
10. Do this in terminal:
sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext?sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext?sudo chown -R root:wheel *.plugin?sudo chmod -R 755 *.plugin
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/?sudo chown -R root:wheel OpenGL.Framework?sudo chmod -R 755 OpenGL.Framework
Ok, cross your fingers, and reboot!