This is why the 2.66 Pentium D 805 is the best choice.

Guest pcharles25

53 posts in this topic

Is this the second or third thread in this vein by this guy?

You think he's been employed by Intel's stock clearance department to try and sell remaining 2 year old Smithfield Pentium Ds?

Wonder why they're still in stock when they stopped making them a year ago? Because nobody buys them.

They should be destroyed because anybody using them is contributing substantially to global warming for the amount of computing power they're receiving :unsure: Even my 925 [replaced by an E2160, then an E4300 displaced from my main rig] is nuclear-reactor hot, and Presler is much cooler than Smithfield, regardless of Intel claiming the TDP is the same (especially with the 805 because it's not only in terms of load power but in terms of power saving features like EIST.)

In these days of Allendale-cored Pentium E21x0, nobody should even think about buying Pentium Ds any more... They're not much more expensive and the cost difference will be saved in a week on the electricity bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the thing is when n00bs ( :hysterical: ) get some hardware to work, they thing its the best thing ever and they recommend it to everyone in the world. I am currently using a Pentium D 830 and it has good speed, works well with OS X and all that but I'm not going to recommend it to people who are getting/building a new computer while the Core 2 Duos are out there....Its like recommending an old PC to someone who wants to get a new computer.

Pentium D's are for fart huffers and Core 2 Duos get you laid.

Here we go again...same thing as before...when someones hardware is working great they think its the best (maybe it is but still...) and everything else to them is garbage. Good example of Colonels statement.

EDIT: Just wanted to notify everyone that when me and other people were buying Pentium D systems, Core 2 Duo didn't exist and neither did Core Duo. But bad luck for me, the Core Duo came out about a month or so after I bought the Pentium D.

• 1 month later...

Really? Pentium Ds are having trouble with Leopard?

I didn't know...(and I'm not being sarcastic).

I was actually going to try Leo on my Pentium D machine but decided against it since it was even having probs with Tiger. Good thing I'm building a new hackint0sh sometime in the future.

Hey Guys,

I think the guy is right about the D805. You guys should really perform benchmarks with D805 vs comparable Core 2 Duo's.

I built a Q6600, 2 gig ram, 7950 GT 256 meg, GA P35-DSR3, for my friend and it is really fast. However, I have a D805 overclocked to 3.5ghz, 2 gig ram, X1800 XT 256 meg, Asus P5W DH. My D805 is not that much slower than the Q6600, and renders quickly and runs very fast.

Just a comment: Maybe you guys need to run real world video/graphics benchmarks before coming to any conclusions. I render After Effects projects and the D805 does a great job.

Miro30

Hey Guys,

I think the guy is right about the D805. You guys should really perform benchmarks with D805 vs comparable Core 2 Duo's.

I built a Q6600, 2 gig ram, 7950 GT 256 meg, GA P35-DSR3, for my friend and it is really fast. However, I have a D805 overclocked to 3.5ghz, 2 gig ram, X1800 XT 256 meg, Asus P5W DH. My D805 is not that much slower than the Q6600, and renders quickly and runs very fast.

Just a comment: Maybe you guys need to run real world video/graphics benchmarks before coming to any conclusions. I render After Effects projects and the D805 does a great job.

Miro30

That might actually be a problem with the P35 board. I've seen a few P35 based hackintoshes that performed abysmally slow compared to what they should have done.

i always thought that pentium D's are a bridge between core duo and pentium 4. The pentium D's use a huge amount of electricity and become as hot as a {censored} fire.

Why is that guy saying that pentium D's are better than core 2 duo's? They are cheaper, but that doesn't mean that they are better!

I can buy a computer with a pentium 4 inside for 100 dollar. "Woow just 100 dollar? Wooow, the pentium 4 is way better than the core 2 duo!"

that's a pc charles way of thinking :(

Pentium D is basically a dual core pentium 4. But you know, $100, if that pentium 4 has SSE3, I'd take it over a core 2 duo machine. :P

You can now get a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo for under $130, which will run faster, cooler, and with less power. It will probably over-clock to 3GHz or more too.

Pentium D's are instantaenous? I LOLed so hard at that. In Windows XP, some apps take 5 or 6 seconds and sometimes more to load which is definitely not "instantaneous". They are not instantaneous in OS X either.

I have a Pentium D 830 (somewhat better model than the 805) and I can tell you saying that its instantaneous is saying the same thing as pigs could fly.

And Pentium Ds are so :censored: hot...on my board its like 50-55 degrees CELSIUS at IDLE and 60+ degrees at full load. Even after you clean out all the dust and gunk it only reduces temps by a couple degrees.

Microcenter Dual Core E2140 $ 49.- + Rear defroster repair kit (Advance autoparts), $ 9.80 + half an hour to make the

bsel mod and make it run 2.14 Ghz (1066 FSB) on stock cooler and cheap mobo, cold and with no modifications to Vcore....TOTAL: 58.80 BEAT PcCharles Processor badly= PRICELESS