• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

wtcnbrwndo4u

wtcnbrwndo4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
So no one has figured out how to extend their 6GB partition for Mac after it's been installed?

dodo

dodo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

ok, so i figured it out: this tutorial is so you can create a new partition, i havent figured out how to Expand the partition but at least youll have some space
First we boot LIVE CD linux, doenst matter really what flavor i used gentoo, but get into prompt and:

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

then hit new partition and create it, then goto the new partition with the cfdisk program and hit type, change the type of the partition to AF. its not on the list but if you just type "AF" it will make the partition AF, then write the partition table. reboot the computer, open up applications>utilitys>disk utility and format the hard newly created partition. ill do some pictures and what not later and make the tutorial better, but for now, you guys can comment and {censored} around.

REMEMBER: DONT MESS WITH YOUR FIRST 6gig DRIVE. thats where your OS is installed. so dont accidently format that.

can you install apps over this partition?

hackintosh to the max

hackintosh to the max

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Computing in general<br /><br />BTW - im not rele borne in 1907...
hello people - i think iv got a solution, but i havent managed it yet.
I installed my osx from a image through windows (didnt use a install DVD). I have a 6gb partition for osx on a 160gb drive which i specifically got for osx. Iv got annother 160gb drive for windows.

Iv been reading around, some say that you can expand the 6gb partition by using partition magic (a windows program) Iv used this program before but it cant edit my osx drive as it thinks its "bad".

Iv also read that you can use a cd bootable linux to extend the 6gb partition or create a new partition. Iv got a linux distro made for partitioning drives its like 25mb - so fast to download. I booted up this linux and it cant change my osx partition, it says "Incorrect Magic Values in the Journal Header". If you want to create a ADDITIONAL partition id use windows as GParted cannot create HFS+ but only HSF, but if u waant to use it u can convert the partition in osx to HSF+.

As for using linux to make a additional partition i havent tried but i think the terminal thing in GParted wont work as GParted is a small linux distro just mainly designed for drive managment, so id use annother distro. I will make a additional partition in windows if all fails.

Iv also tried using mac drive to copy all the files from the mac partitioon to my windows one, then making a large partition and putting the files back there. That didnt work as windows couldnt have some of the files as the names were too long.

There is a way to do this - it has been done. Ill keep reading around and keep you posted.

GParted (linux thats supposed to work) from here - http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php

If you find a way to do this please PM me or email me. If you have questions/answers also PM or email.

Miraj

wtcnbrwndo4u

wtcnbrwndo4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Then rename the files if they are too long.

You can't extend the partition once it's installed. Even if there is a way, it's still easier to just delete the partition from within Windows, create a new partition, and reinstall OSX.

hackintosh to the max

hackintosh to the max

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Computing in general<br /><br />BTW - im not rele borne in 1907...
There are way to many files to rename. How can i reinstall it then? Iv got a image. WHen u install the image ur partition is always 6gb. iv got a install dvd (the jas one) but it dosnt work for me. Iv downloading some partitioning software now that claims that it can rearrange (extend or shrink) OSX file systems. Ill let you know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy