Apple Legal May Be Collecting Evidence

bofors

72 posts in this topic

I got

hi
i m trying to install osx86 but i need the files ditto.tgz and coregraphics.tgz please send them te me my mail is georges.kallab@gmail.com
thanks

The thing is... It appears to be from an anonymous user! with no posts ... and no group... where a name should be there is nothing! I think we should all spam the e-mail in the PM if it is going around to alot of users, and btw the PM from the pearPC board was from wetlegs6 and he doesnt work for apple.

HtH

-=eightballx=-

I got

hi
i m trying to install osx86 but i need the files ditto.tgz and coregraphics.tgz please send them te me my mail is georges.kallab@gmail.com
thanks

The thing is... It appears to be from an anonymous user! with no posts ... and no group... where a name should be there is nothing! I think we should all spam the e-mail in the PM if it is going around to alot of users, and btw the PM from the pearPC board was from wetlegs6 and he doesnt work for apple.

HtH

-=eightballx=-

i got the one:

where to download MacOSx x86 ?

thanks.

from a blank anonymous user

I got

hi
thanks

HtH

-=eightballx=-

You don't say. :blink:

I agree with Mike. You can't try out mac os like linux so I've never touched it. Now that it can be run on a x86pc I've finally got a chance to play with it. Obviosly the fully working product will work much better, but I like it enough to say that my next PC will be a Mac!

OS X is user-friendly like windows (more than windows) and has the power/stability/security of its UNIX underpinnings, not to mention its interface is beautiful, even (especially) compared to vista, which i got the opportunity to play with at work... linux is good, but still in that making progress phase... apple would make a killing if they jumped in as a software/OS vendor rather than a hardware/OS/software combo company... they could still sell their expensive machines that will run it better (sony and alienware do well selling expensive hardware) but for those that want OS X but dont have money to spend, the ability to build your own box and buy OS X for it, or to get a $499 dell system with OS X installed would be a really big plus...

I think we're overblowing this. Sure, Apple would probably sue us, but more likely than not they'd send a C&D and notify us of possible legal action before anything further develops. And I'm 100% certain the administrators here would be more than happy to comply with Apple Legal.

I think we're overblowing this. Sure, Apple would probably sue us, but more likely than not they'd send a C&D and notify us of possible legal action before anything further develops. And I'm 100% certain the administrators here would be more than happy to comply with Apple Legal.

....Thank you for pointing that out. :)

I don't see a reason why they would go after this site. I don't see anyone actually trading or giving link to the software in question.

The tactic of most cases of any lawsuite is to scare the other parties by sueing them We will sue you if you continue in your pratice of.................and so on.........bah bah bah..... Like with the case with pirate of software a couple of years ago, where the F B I raided Groups that was trading software and......it was a big scare and that stop for awhile, but after it started back up again.......

The goverment can try to stop pirate groups in sharing software, but it will never work. There's a site that does this and they are still online....... lol and many still are still online............ :)

OSX86Project (the whole site) is serving as the "home page" for several modifications which potentially (and in Apple Legal's mind, do) violate the DMCA. The forums are not what will get this site sued, it's the WiKi pages that serve as the readme files for the cracks that will.

Apple Legal can only send C&D's for forum contents, but they can sue if the site is supporting and furthering work that breaks the TPM's authenticity checks.

OS X is user-friendly like windows (more than windows) and has the power/stability/security of its UNIX underpinnings, not to mention its interface is beautiful, even (especially) compared to vista, which i got the opportunity to play with at work... linux is good, but still in that making progress phase... apple would make a killing if they jumped in as a software/OS vendor rather than a hardware/OS/software combo company... they could still sell their expensive machines that will run it better (sony and alienware do well selling expensive hardware) but for those that want OS X but dont have money to spend, the ability to build your own box and buy OS X for it, or to get a $499 dell system with OS X installed would be a really big plus...

If you want a "$499 dell system with OS X installed" you can get it from Apple. It's called the Mac mini.

BTW, if you still don't know anything about Apple start by exploring their site : http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Another one:

http://www.pearpc.net/comments.php?screenshot_id=478

"Heya, does anyone knows where I can get that SSE2 patch for rosetta from?

Email me if you do: wet****@gmail.com"

He's probably just an idiot.

Thanks for calling me an idiot, real nice.

If apple come, we must all run lol. I doubt they will though, this is a huge benefit for them if you look at the long run.

THE APPLES ARE COMING! THE APPLES ARE COMING!

Oh wait...

nvm. they got lost. :blink:

Seriously. You're too paranoid. Jut get some guy in Sweden to host the site fi you're scared. and have it do a loopback through 100 IP address throughout China, Russia, Iraq and various other 3rd world countries. if they did find the server, they'd be too tired to care.

:( I think he did!

If you want a "$499 dell system with OS X installed" you can get it from Apple. It's called the Mac mini.

BTW, if you still don't know anything about Apple start by exploring their site : http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Sure, go and buy a machine with a slow processor 1,42Ghz on a platform, PPC, which will loose support in the next few years. Now buying a mac is extremely dumb cause it will loose it's value completely once the intel macs are available.

People who think fat binaries will be there forever are living in dreamworld.

I know about the mac mini, but spec-wise it is really out of date... no G5, etc... it is not really expandable, and it does not come with a monitor like the dell system i am comparing it to. Basically I would only be getting a tiny power mac g4, which i could get pretty cheap on ebay anyway.

I feel the same way about my powerbook... i love it, but apple offers nothing up to date as far as speed and power in the laptop line either, and nothing affordable for average users, other than MAYBE the 12 inch. Compare that to the deals you can get sometimes at best buy on a toshiba or HP notebook...

for instance, there is an HP at bestbuy that is 2.8 ghz P4, 17 in screen, 512 MB, 80 GB, dual layer dvd+/-rw, 128 radeon, plus pvr and a tv tuner, all for only $1,599

a comparable powerbook (only real differences are: 100 gb hd instead of 80, processor is only g4 so would be better compared IMO to the celeron, and superdrive is not dual layer) is $2,699

I am saying it would be nice to be able to buy that HP with OS X instead of XP home for $1,599... apple would gain user base by leaps and bounds, and people that can afford it would still buy apple hardware just like some still pay for IBM or sony hardware even though it costs more...

I love apple's hardware, but it doesn't come cheap, which is why i only own my 867mhz 12 inch powerbook, which was basically a trade for an imac.

First of all, kids, check your paranoia at the door. 'Apple Legal' does not need to troll this or any other boards in order to collect evidence -- as it stands, all they go by is provocative content, in violation of their materials/IP. Sending badly spelled PMs on a bulletin board system is not only NOT a strategy of theirs, but it's also quite pointless. Apple's legal strategy has always been to request (or attack) first, and pretty much lay the burden of proof in your lap.

So, please do not be ridiculously paranoid - it's just some guy who can't use Google, sending out PMs to everyone he sees online, hoping to score some links to what he's looking for.

Additionally, even *if* this was an undercover trick, they could not utilize it, as :

- Unless your login is "Mike Sm ith who lives at REAL ADDRESS HERE", the fact that everyone here is an avatar does not provide any evidence -- otherwise, the sysadmin only has to claim that Apple Legal provided both the initial request, as well as the successful response in an effort to entrap. In that case, the burden of proof would be in Apple's court, so why would they even bother.

Again, use common sense, if you have it.

I know about the mac mini, but spec-wise it is really out of date... no G5, etc... it is not really expandable, and it does not come with a monitor like the dell system i am comparing it to. Basically I would only be getting a tiny power mac g4, which i could get pretty cheap on ebay anyway.

Remember this:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/999/aopen_pandora_mini

What's worth noting, is that this is the most obvious mac mini rip-off from AOpen, yet interestingly, no Apple legal action has been taken (unlike for the Shuffle clone) - and it appears the box will be available around September.

Check out a more detailed slide show from Computex on here:

http://www.wired.com/news/images/manual/67...miniclone1.html

It's worth noting that this was preceded with a similar engineering prototype demonstrated by intel -- AOpen simply went along with intel's lead. Well, we all know by now why intel got away with their showing this off (this was 3-4 weeks before the intel announcement), and we can only speculate about the future of the AOpen Pandora box (cute name, I gotta say).

It should, though, provide us into a pretty good look at the future of Apple's Mac mini, considering this is using off-the shelf intel parts, and a custom AOpen mobo to achieve this. What's the likelyhood that this was, really, an opening from AOpen to pitch manufacturing Apple's future mini for them, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that AOpen will be manufacturing the intel Mac mini for Apple.

Now, if/when this thing goes on sale in September, it would really be an interesting trick to see how well OSx86 will run on that one, eh?

I feel the same way about my powerbook... i love it, but apple offers nothing up to date as far as speed and power in the laptop line either, and nothing affordable for average users, other than MAYBE the 12 inch. Compare that to the deals you can get sometimes at best buy on a toshiba or HP notebook...

To be honest, that is one more reason why Apple has felt the need to kick IBM to the curb -- there was not going to be a G5 for laptops, and they needed to rev their laptops to remain competitive -- with intel's next family of CPUs and chips, they will be able to do so, and drop prices significantly. At this time next year, there will be some very nice Powerbooks available, followed by some pretty darn nice iBooks... all at lower prices than today (manufacturing and component prices willing) (and, bear in mind that those boxes will all be able to run Windows natively in a window on the Mac desktop, at full speed, on a separate processor core)

But you won't be able to buy that hp with OSx86 running on it (especially now since hp stupidly decided to cut their relationship with Apple).

We are bound to live in interesting times in the next 24 months.

But you won't be able to buy that hp with OSx86 running on it (especially now since hp stupidly decided to cut their relationship with Apple).

We are bound to live in interesting times in the next 24 months.

I agree there... I know that HP specificly won't be offering an apple machine, but if Apple offered the OS on all x86 hardware, then those that can't afford the high end, higher priced apple hardware could still be using OS X on a cheap toshiba or off brand laptop, or a $300 build from scratch system.. I just wish the future was now.. I want to upgrade my powerbook to something faster but I just can't justify spending money on a new one when they will have cheaper better ones out maybe this time next year

First of all, kids, check your paranoia at the door. 'Apple Legal' does not need to troll this or any other boards in order to collect evidence -- as it stands, all they go by is provocative content, in violation of their materials/IP. Sending badly spelled PMs on a bulletin board system is not only NOT a strategy of theirs, but it's also quite pointless. Apple's legal strategy has always been to request (or attack) first, and pretty much lay the burden of proof in your lap.

Last year on the Mac Bittorrents site (MTKA), Apple Legal contacted the site admins and demanded that they turn over logs to identify the IP addresses of forum users, which they foolishly did and resulted in three MTKA users getting sued by Apple. Clearly, that same thing could happen here possibly with a subpoena. This means PM's could be used to build cases against individual OSx86project users as identity is establishable from IP addesses.

Now, perhaps you would care to explain why this site has yet to receive some kind of "cease and desist" letter from Apple Legal?

We represent Apple Computer, Inc. Your website is currently in the

process of distributing and/or facilitating the distribution of illegal

copies of a developer's kit version of Apple's Mac OS X software for the

x86 (Intel) instruction set. This software constitutes an Apple trade

secret and is copyrighted. Apple has a well-known, longstanding policy

of closely guarding information about its unreleased products as trade

secrets.

http://www.win2osx.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1057