• Pip
  • 20 posts
Here's my configuration:

80 Gb IDE - Win XP. NTFS
300 GB NTFS - some files
300 GB NTFS - some more files

Works perfectly. No macos, as u see...
Next:
80 Gb SATA, macos 10.4.3 with wesley patch... Well, it works...
Next "chain0" and etc... Dual Boot.... YES, it works.

And finally...
Under macos format two 300 HD to HFS... Reboot to windows, use macdrive... Yeah, it works... Reboot again... Choose macos in boot loader... And that's it... No luck... Some file can't be found... Sure, it can't cause if i press the F8 key, it shows me, that it gonna to start up from my 300 HD, which is not system... ;-) After simply unplug 80 gb with XP and reboot without boot loader... I'm in - in MacOS again...

ANy suggestions to make that chain0 work again? ;-)

Edited by DerAlSem, 24 January 2006 - 03:01 PM.

wingzero

wingzero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I loaded OS on a IBM T40 and heres how I did mine:

1 Booted to OSX and created 2 partitions (40GB HD)
1 DOS and 1 MAC
2 Booted to Windows XP and installed (NTFS) on DOS partition
3 Booted to OSX and installed on 2nd partition
4 Boot screen displays:
hd0(1) Windows NTFS
hd0(2) Mac OSX

Works perfect!!! :graduated:

volskje

volskje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
First I had dual boot with the chain0 file.

Recently I upgraded to 10.4.3 and now that doesn't work anymore.

I know there are all sorts of solutions, but I think the chain0 was the most simple and elegant. Is it possible there will ben a new version of chain0 which will work with 10.4.3?

Paralex

Paralex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Okay, after solving how to actually edit the BOOT.INI file, I will teach you step-by-step!

- Go into your OSX drive (you might need MacDrive to see the OSX contents)
- Go to /usr/standalone/i386/ and copy the "chain0" file
- Paste it (chain0) into your Windows root drive (C:\), so it should be like this "C:\chain0"
- Click Start > Run > type in sysdm.cpl
- Click the Advanced tab, then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings
- Under System Startup click Edit (the file should open in notepad for editing)
- Under "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="YOUR WINDOWS OS HERE" /fastdetect", insert the following: C:\chain0="Mac OS X"
- In notepad, go to File > Save
- Restart and you will see success! It will give you a choice of Windows or Mac OS X

Hope you enjoy!

-.-

-.-

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Discaimer >>> I have not tried this yet.

Here is the old style of dual booting for people to consider that are having problems getting anything else to work, the only problem is I don't know how you could get to work on sata but maybe some people that know all about them could,

You take a DPDT toggle switch (the small flat lever one from GC Elect pn#35-057 looks nice costs about 8 bucks but others are much cheaper)

and get a bag full of colored wires (E-Z-Hook pn#9110-12-5R and you won't need solder or an iron they have little pin socket connectors on them already) edit: Well bummer maybe you do need a solder iron looks like the pins on the switch are too big, but the other end should fit the jumper pins easily.

take one of the bay covers and drill a hole in the center to mount the switch, cover it with masking tape first so it doesn get all scratched up.

then you use an ohm meter or a DPDT diagram to find out which contacts are connecting when the switch is in the two different positions and connect the switch to two different hard drives in a way that replaces the jumpers on the hard drive, but connects one or the other when you flip the switch.

then use the switch to select a drive before you turn the computer on.

I know that is kinda old fashioned and rustic but probably works, they used to sell an item that did this but instead of a toggle switch you used a round key and it had it had a middle position where no hard drive was connected as a security feature.

Somewhere on the web is instructions with pictures sorry I forgot to bookmark it and it was a long time ago that I saw so don't remember the name of the site.

morkb

morkb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
hi all,

I've just tried last week to install mac osx 10.4.3 8f111 on my win98/xp dual boot.
My system is a p4 northwood(sse2) on an abit 845se,nvida 4200Ti, creative audigy.
at the beginning i tried to install mac os x on a primary partition after the win98 primary partition but I had winxp on an extended partition, it loaded but the boot was really problematic, then I converted the xp partition in primary and I put the af partion after winxp always as primary and then I could get the darwin boot loader running well. It also gave the boot choise to win98/winxp boot menu.
Then I tried to set up the win98 primary partition on active and I've copied the chain0 from the mac partition and changed the boot.ini adding c:\chain0="mac os x" as explained above the topic.
At the beginning if i chose macosx after less the one second I got the win boot menu again.
Then I have read on the above topic that someone could load the darwin boot loader if after the win boot menu after having chosen the macosx hit the f8 key.
i can confirm that in this way mac os it will load!
the only problem is the audio that is well known not working with audigy...may be someone in the future will be able to release some drivers!

thank you very much to all of you guy without you I couldn't get it working.
by the way what about the 10.4.4 is already possible to install on x86 pc?
bye marco

Edited by morkb, 26 January 2006 - 10:06 AM.

DrJgermeister

DrJgermeister

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Sex, drugs and rock & roll

by the way what about the 10.4.4 is already possible to install on x86 pc?

No, and 10.4.5 is comming soon.

townfool

townfool

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys..

This is my first post.. hello all.. :(

Ive been having a few problems with setting up dual boot on my laptop.. lets start with current setup

Ive got an ibm t40 with 10GB C: (primary) and 10GB D: (Logical).

D: was 20GB so i shrank that to 10GB with pm and shrank the extended that it was in to leave me 10GB free space at the end..

I then booted dsl to create the af partition..

i then ran the installer.. (im having problems with IO errors here but this may be my dvd drive, as it take anything from 30 - 45 mins to get to install screens) and repaired my newly created partition (is this normal?)

Once i had repaired and mounted the partition i went to install it.. but it told me OS X would not be able to start from this location.. and so i hit a brickwall..

Im assuming that its something to do with the af primary partition being located after an extended partition.. im in the process of trying to prove this by moving the extended partiton to the end of the disk.. and creating a new af one straight after C:.. but im doing a backup if D: first..

So while im waiting i thought i would share my experiances with you all and see if anybody knows of any other reason why it wont let me install that i dont know of yet.. and why does it take so bloody long to get to the install screen.. (ive been through that process twice now and with it taking that long i want to get it right this time :happymac: )

Thanks Townfool

EDIT: looks like i was right http://www.win2osx.n...read.php?t=2688

Edited by townfool, 27 January 2006 - 07:05 AM.

dennisgodderie

dennisgodderie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I'm now running Mac Os X86 at this moment. But where do you guys find the file Chain0? I can't find it anywhere :s

capper308

capper308

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Why do you people want to dual boot anyway? All I do is hit F8 when my computer finishes it's POST, (to get to my "select boot device" option. (Yes I know that not everybodys mobo has this feature so don't flame me!))and then pick the drive I want to boot from eg. my Windows drive, or my OSx86 drive. No messy dual boot promblems at all! Just my two cents......

DrJgermeister

DrJgermeister

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Sex, drugs and rock & roll

Why do you people want to dual boot anyway? All I do is hit F8 when my computer finishes it's POST, (to get to my "select boot device" option. (Yes I know that not everybodys mobo has this feature so don't flame me!))and then pick the drive I want to boot from eg. my Windows drive, or my OSx86 drive. No messy dual boot promblems at all! Just my two cents......

Try this with a notebook :)

Jeezoflip

Jeezoflip

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:Computers of course!
can someone please help me? I have 2 hard drives...and OsX is on one of them, and windows is on the other. Windows is the primary drive, and i want to be able to have a boot loader in the beginning to choose either one.

capper308

capper308

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Good Point DrJgermeister!

I don't have(or use) a notebook. but I imagine that you just don't slap in another hard drive and install your favorite OS....

Has anybody tried Acronis OS selector? I have used it to dual boot my Win/linux machine before with great success.

Just a thought.

DerAlSem

DerAlSem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I've tried it... Version 10, and it seems, that it has no support for MacOSX... Because it's _very_ buggy. Every third reboot i have to use emergency CD to boot from, then repair OS Selector, and then boot...
It's a pity... has anyone else tried it?

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
I'm using Acronis OS selector (version 9) and I have had absolutely no problems with it. It seems to recognize the Mac install just fine, and boot to it. However, I do have my Mac install on it's own dedicated Hard Drive... I don't know if that makes any difference. :)

DerAlSem

DerAlSem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I have three SATA drives. Two 300 Gb - for archives, and one 80 with two primary partition. 1st - 10 Gb XP and 2nd 10 Gb - OSX... And it's continues to hangs... ;-(
But what i see - you have mac on IDE hdd... May be i should try such configuration...

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
Yeah, I find it easier to have my MacOS on a separate logical disk from my XP, etc. It makes a lot of things easier. I don't have to worry about either OS screwing up the MBR set by the other OS. Also, when installing, it means I can use the 10.4.3 disk utility to set up the partitions on that drive, without it messing up other non HFS+ partitions (since they are all HFS+) :D Also, with OS X specifically, it is much easier to have a dedicated drive, because it can be picky about where it will boot from (like inside extended partitions, or if there are many other partitions on the drive). Let us know how Acronis 10 works for you if you go this route... I wonder if for some reason Acronis 9 works better with OS X. (if so, I might be able to direct you to a copy of the older version) :)

DerAlSem

DerAlSem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I don't have an empty IDE HD, but i'll have one till the end of week... So i'll write a report... ;-)

amphora

amphora

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm using the default Darwin loader. And it works perfectly. Only one question: My first partition is XP and second is OSX. OSX boots as default but I want XP to boot default. How can I accomplish this?

DerAlSem

DerAlSem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I've attached 4th SATA drive.

Here's my new configuration:

80 Gb SATA - Win XP. NTFS
160 GB SATA - OSX Intel, HFS
300 GB SATA - some files, HFS
300 GB SATA - some more files, HFS

And two NEC drives on IDE (dvd-rom, dvd-rw).

Works perfectly. ;-)
Dual boot with default windows. And i can even swith between systems remotely, using Acronis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy