10.4.3 broadcom wireless effort

sportman

235 posts in this topic

OK, scratch my earlier post. I think I understand the pseudo extension thing now.

But hey, I can get the IO80211family and brcm kexts loaded, but can't use the ./airport -s method. I would settle for that at this point.

Also, for those of you that can get it working with ./airport method, when you look under System Profiler does it show dependencies satisfied for IO80211Family and AppleAirportBrcm4311?

thx!

pretty sure it's a broadcom but i'm not home to tell for sure.

part of the problem is that it's one of the spare d610's from my office - and about half of them were upgraded to the intel 2200's when we bought them for better linux compatability (well, easier setup anyway :gathering:).

i'll know later today, in about 6 or 7 hours, when i get home. i'll open it and tell you exactly which.

i'm using build 8f1099, if that matters.

did you find out what card you were using? and does anyone actually have a working broadcom with dev id of 4320? i really would like to get back to using mac

Dell Truemobile(broadcom) 1450 card works with no mod to any kext.

full install of 10.4.3 not upgrade from 10.4.1

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 100.2 (3.120.x)

Current Wireless Network: NETGEAR

Wireless Channel: 11

I have been running since the begining of the week and have had zero issues.

DEV ID 4324

DEV ID 4324

CAN ANYONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS???!!!?!?!???

if so im off to ebay to buy another broadcom card =x

CAN ANYONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS???!!!?!?!???

if so im off to ebay to buy another broadcom card =x

Check this post out:

He says he's got the 1450 running on a native 10.4.3 install. He says it's recognized as an Airport Extreme automatically; no need to modify any kexts. He also states he can even use the Fn keys on his laptop to turn it on and off. Also, he says it survives reboots.

Do a search on eBay, you'll find these cards extremely cheap. I'm just about to pick one up for $30 with free shipping :-) If it works, I'll post it ASAP. I've also got an RT2500 miniPCI coming in the mail to test out as well. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Check this post out:

He says he's got the 1450 running on a native 10.4.3 install. He says it's recognized as an Airport Extreme automatically; no need to modify any kexts. He also states he can even use the Fn keys on his laptop to turn it on and off. Also, he says it survives reboots.

Do a search on eBay, you'll find these cards extremely cheap. I'm just about to pick one up for $30 with free shipping :-) If it works, I'll post it ASAP. I've also got an RT2500 miniPCI coming in the mail to test out as well. I'll let you guys know what I find.

i also jumped the gun and bought one of the 1450's(should be here next week)...i had been looking for an rt2500 minipci for a while and never browsed across one or just didnt use the right search terms i guess....you wouldnt still happen to have the link or brand of the minipci rt2500 would you?

DEV ID 4324

Have you tried 8f1111? 1111a/g?

Thanks!

i also jumped the gun and bought one of the 1450's(should be here next week)...i had been looking for an rt2500 minipci for a while and never browsed across one or just didnt use the right search terms i guess....you wouldnt still happen to have the link or brand of the minipci rt2500 would you?

The miniPCI with the RT2500 chipset I bought on eBay first was a Billionton MIWLGRL MiniPCI. It was the only one I found on eBay after days of searching :-(.

The second card I purchased is the Dell TrueMobile Wireless 1450 802.11g/b/a WLAN Mini PCI as stated before. I will test both of them. If they both work, I will resell the Billionton and my original Broadcom 4306 on eBay and keep the Dell (the Dell is a/b/g, the Billionton and my Broadcom are only b/g.)

I haven't tried this myself, and I probably don't know what I'm talking about... but I can't help but wonder if the 4309 (from the Dell 1450) works, isn't it close enough to the 4306 that you could just edit the Info.plist in the kext? I don't even know which kext it is in 10.4.3, I'm just throwing ideas out there...

Well I hope that f1r3f1ght3r is right and the 1450 works. I just jumped the gun and picked one up off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Truemobile-1450-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

$35 shipped Priority mail. Im hoping this will work on my Thinkpad. As it is now I've got an upgraded Broadcom 4306 based B/G miniPCI, does NOT work with 10.4.3 build 1099. Off topic I might add that I ran Mac Office and Adobe Suite on my Celery Tower today ;].. . .same build

Have you tried 8f1111? 1111a/g?

not yet. I wanted to try 8F1099 with the 128mb ATI card that I ordered... still hasn't shown up yet. If it doesn't show up tomorrow I may get a wild hair and pull the trigger after I ghost the partition.

Can someone with 8F1099 please post the IO80211Family kext. Thanks.

i will when i get home tonight

not yet. I wanted to try 8F1099 with the 128mb ATI card that I ordered... still hasn't shown up yet. If it doesn't show up tomorrow I may get a wild hair and pull the trigger after I ghost the partition.

i was wandering if all the kexts needed for the broadcom kext loaded successfully? like IONetworkFamily and IO80211family? because they arent working on mine

Well I hope that f1r3f1ght3r is right and the 1450 works. I just jumped the gun and picked one up off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Truemobile-1450-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

$35 shipped Priority mail. Im hoping this will work on my Thinkpad. As it is now I've got an upgraded Broadcom 4306 based B/G miniPCI, does NOT work with 10.4.3 build 1099. Off topic I might add that I ran Mac Office and Adobe Suite on my Celery Tower today ;].. . .same build

Thinkpads inhibit operation with non-authorized wireless hardware. It's called the "1802 problem". Fortunately, there are couples of solutions. You can look for them in the web with keywords such as "thinkpad 1802 wireless". Good luck.

ringdata you are talking about bios level issue i think. the broadcom chip i've got now works great in windows xp, i imagine it would have worked in 10.4.1 with darwin kext but i went straight to 10.4.3 on the laptop.

weaselslayer, i've got broadcom 4306, truemobile 1450 is 4309 as far as i can tell, ive got the feeling that maybe an info.plist edit might get it working too. im gonna try messing about.

watch out for peanut butter

prayers to maxxuss and jas and those workin hard for a stable 111a patch, rock it!!

Just to clarify, does this mean that we've got working wirless on ALL broadcom wireless cards in 10.4.3? Or only ones that worked in 10.4.1? Or are we still no go on most but not all?

If someone could provide some updates as to whether this works on the Broadcom 4306 chipset, that'd be much appreciated. :)

ringdata you are talking about bios level issue i think. the broadcom chip i've got now works great in windows xp, i imagine it would have worked in 10.4.1 with darwin kext but i went straight to 10.4.3 on the laptop.

weaselslayer, i've got broadcom 4306, truemobile 1450 is 4309 as far as i can tell, ive got the feeling that maybe an info.plist edit might get it working too. im gonna try messing about.

watch out for peanut butter

prayers to maxxuss and jas and those workin hard for a stable 111a patch, rock it!!

So did you get 1450 working in 10.4.3? Do you need to edit anything?

Just to clarify, does this mean that we've got working wirless on ALL broadcom wireless cards in 10.4.3? Or only ones that worked in 10.4.1? Or are we still no go on most but not all?

If someone could provide some updates as to whether this works on the Broadcom 4306 chipset, that'd be much appreciated. ;)

4306 will probably not work. My dell 1400 (chips labeled as Broadcom 4309) works, but I have to use the command line tools to make it associate with a network.

I've heard of two people with dell 1450s that have working "out of the box" wireless. I assume both were with 1099 since 1111 has no installed 802.11 support (Hence the posting of 1099's 80211Family.kext).

I personally don't think you'll ever see the 4306 work in anything other than 10.4.1.

op

:blink: Okay well I put in kext but it's a no-go. The card isn't detected at all. Nothing shows up under PCI cards or Airport. Utility says no device. The kext will load if I force it with the terminal, but it doesn't do anything. Is it possible that 10.4.3 doesn't have the correct PCI drivers for my laptop...? I'm not quite understanding where the problem is now. -- Although I believe I know why the USB Belkin wifi adapter never worked mysteriously... I didn't know that IO80211 kext was missing until last night; kind of important. :poster_oops: