10.4.3 broadcom wireless effort

sportman

235 posts in this topic

guilliamo,

Your profile is showing up exactly the same as mine.

This is how I configured mine.

1. Click on the Airport sign on the menubar

2. Select "Airport On"

3. Click on the Airport sign again. then select " Open Internet Connect" on the menu

4. Select the Network you want to connect to on the dropdown menu. Its possible that it may have already defaulted to whats available.

5. After selecting the network you want it may ask for a password Key. I had mine set to 128 bit WEP. after entering this I gained access to the network.

I dont know if this is of any use to you but it worked for me.

Antic: Thanks. I'll try it again tonite...will be my 4th try, but perhaps there is something peculiar in which sequence you do what. Is there anything special about your install that may be different ? I installed 10.4.3 (8F1111) from DVD with JAS's ppf patch, and then used Maxxus' installer to get to 8F1111a/g.

I DID boot back into 10.4.1 (8G1025) and the card does still work there fine (with patched AppleAirPort2 kext).

Thanks again & I'll post again after another try!

:weight_lift:

G

Well, we ARE getting closer, but I'm probably having the same problem trying to actually USE Airport. After installing the IO80211Family.kext and rebooting, my PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 (Broadcom 4320) shows up in the PCI section of ASP. See attached. However, any attempt to access or configure (including just looking at the Airport section of ASP) starts a process labeled "576 configd" in Activity Monitor which takes 99.8% of CPU.

The only way I've found out of this is to do a hard restart and go in to safe mode and delete the patched IO80211Family.kext. Has anyone actually gotten Airport working ? If so, what am I missing ?

Thanks

:sorcerer:

G

Native 10.4.3/ 8F1111a/g, Intel D915GAG, P4 630 (3 GHz), 2GB DDR Ram, PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 (Broadcom 4320)post-13072-1137609223_thumb.png

Did you try using the command line program "airport" to associate with some essid? That won't survive a reboot, but it is the only way that I can get my PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 working in 10.4.1

Hi all!

I also got this working on my Dell Inspiron 9100 with the 1350 mini-PCI card. This is my first post here and this is the first thing I do with my brand new connection. I got 10.4.3 working just today - and I have never used it for more than 15 min at a time before - so i'm thrilled to have it up and running.

Thanks alot CheeseCake!

Cheesecake OMG! It works!

Complete NOOB here at my wits end and then i tried your instructs above. I even guessed at what Broadcom chip thing i have. Got it on my first guess. Wasn't hard to figure out in Windows (went to device manager and found my wireless card and read a string that had 4318 in it and figured thats what i have). Anyway, here are the facts:

-Gateway MX6030 Notebook

-Broadcom 4318

-used the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.4

-added an extra string like you mentioned above but instead I added 4318 instead of 4320.

-did all the Terminal stuff that i didn't understand (kept asking for some password that i ignored. ha!)

-rebooted and the card was discovered as Airport.

-i'm on my home WEP encryption. had to change it to WEP 40/128-bit hex (like i always do with powerbooks).

Now I'm on my way to making this my main OS (keyboard,screen resolution are next). I've been on Mac OS since 6.0 and I'm glad to welcome OSX to my home once again! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thank you guys

My Linksys WMP54G PCI wireless card is working with 10.4.4 IO80211Family.kext

Hardware Id under windows is

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00131737&REV_03

To be honest I don't which version is my WMP54G, how can I check?

Ok I been wrackin my brains for hours trying to get this to work. I KNOW I have a broadcom 1450 wireless card in my laptop, and I've downloaded the .kext's that were posted. As I continue to re-read the entire thread over and over.. I keep seeing people say, they've gotten their wireless cards to work without any kext modifications. And other posters that said they replaced certain kext's and got it to work. I have several questions.

First off, what is the proper way to install a .kext? I get an error message sayin I may have improperly installed the IO80211Family.kext, can you give me the exact string of text I need to enter into terminal?

And secondly, after you edit the plist, did you just reboot and get this wireless card to work? Can somebody please make a full step by step guide, or just explain very clearly the steps needed from a fresh install, to adding any .kext's, and modifying any text strings, down to the commands you type into terminal.

I think I'm doing something wrong, somewhere. I need help. Thanks ;)

It works!!!

BCM4306 wireless card with 10.4.3 1111g using 10.4.4 extension.

Basically, I followed CheeseCake's instruction and instead of changing it to 4320, I changed it to 4306 and it magically works!!!

Thanks a million CheeseCake!!!

I can confirm this working for me:

Compaq NC6000 w/ Linksys WPC54GSv3

Running 10.4.3 and the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.4 Extensions - modded with pci14e4,4318

Been reading and working on getting wireless support all day - actually went and bought this card this morning (already had the WPC54Gv2) and was getting discouraged until I got to the last two pages of this thread!

Thanks again to everyone for thier hard work and patience!

Off to find the fix for the next issue :offtopic:

I am also running 10.4.3 8f1111 and I just got my Dell TrueMobile 1450 today. I popped it in, grabbed the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.4 Extensions and it detected it and I connected up to my network.

The only thing that I don't think is working is the signal strength meter. Anyone know how to get that working?

I am also running 10.4.3 8f1111 and I just got my Dell TrueMobile 1450 today. I popped it in, grabbed the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.4 Extensions and it detected it and I connected up to my network.

The only thing that I don't think is working is the signal strength meter. Anyone know how to get that working?

Dude read this it might help

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=4641&st=100

post 119

Edit , Can someone tell me where to get the 10.4.4 IO80211Family.kext?, im using the 10.4.3 version is there any difs?

Thanks guys, I got my BRCM1016 WLAN card built in my Acer Aspire 3600 to work.

The chip says it's a BCM94318MPG (BCM4318) which is the Dell 1370.

I followed this instruction from keeshond:

I've got my 4318 card working with the same setting accept it is <string>pci14e4,4318</string> in stead of <string>pci14e4,4320</string>. OsX86 10.4.3.

Thanx for this great tip!

---------------------------------------

Tried to internet with the thing. It completely hangs. Gonna try some other things. It makes a connection though, so that's a good start.

Hi, I have a 4320 card installed on my Gateway 7405GX laptop. I changed the PCI string in the kext so my card is supported, but I'm having a weird issue. The card is detected (airport is enabled) but whenever I try and access network preferences it just crashes thus leaving my with no network support. Does anyone know what could cause this to happen?

Thanks in advance

I ordered a 4309 mPCI card with which I will attempt to replace my Intel 2200 Wireless ProSet card in my IBM Thinkpad. I understand that IBM TPs will not boot if there is an "unauthorized" mPCI wireless card installed without a bios hack. A program that does such a hack is available on the internet.. If anyone has already done this installation and knows whether or not it works please let me know. Otherwise I'll report back when I'm able to do the installation myself.

I ordered a 4309 mPCI card with which I will attempt to replace my Intel 2200 Wireless ProSet card in my IBM Thinkpad. I understand that IBM TPs will not boot if there is an "unauthorized" mPCI wireless card installed without a bios hack. A program that does such a hack is available on the internet.. If anyone has already done this installation and knows whether or not it works please let me know. Otherwise I'll report back when I'm able to do the installation myself.

kikos, you may check this site,

http://jcnp.pku.edu.cn/~shadow/1802

Succeeded to install BCM4306 mini PCI on IBM X31 using this method.

***THIS PROGRAM PATCHES YOUR THINKPAD BIOS, BE CAREFUL, READ THE TXT FILE FIRST.

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, DON'T DO IT!

It works!!!

BCM4306 wireless card with 10.4.3 1111g using 10.4.4 extension.

Basically, I followed CheeseCake's instruction and instead of changing it to 4320, I changed it to 4306 and it magically works!!!

Thanks a million CheeseCake!!!

What did you do different?

I'm trying to get my Belkin F5D7001 working again. When I look at it there is a 4306 chipset on it, Windows however shows it as a 4320. Therefore I added a line in the kext with 4306 and one with 4320. I've been trying for a while now. And I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

BTW When i start up with -v. I get a error: link/load blablabla /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

hiya,

I got my 4306 chipset-based card working today.

I followed the cheesecake plan, but entering '4306' had no effect. I added a 4309, 4318, and 4320 as well, in case it was being detected as something else. After reboot I had a nonfunctional signal strength meter on the menu bar. Using the airport command line utility I was able to connect. This doesn't survive reboot, but it works well enough until I figure the rest out.

hiya,

I got my 4306 chipset-based card working today.

I followed the cheesecake plan, but entering '4306' had no effect. I added a 4309, 4318, and 4320 as well, in case it was being detected as something else. After reboot I had a nonfunctional signal strength meter on the menu bar. Using the airport command line utility I was able to connect. This doesn't survive reboot, but it works well enough until I figure the rest out.

I tried it but, still a no go... strange

I got an Acer Aspire 1610 notebook, with a broadcom miniPCI. XP identifies it as a broadcom 4320 chipset, but the broadcom wlan util says it is a 4306.

So i dl'd the extensions from this topic, added the 4306 and the 4320 to the plist, did the chown/chmod/cache routine, rebooted.... and nothing shows up.

In the systemprofiler are two nic's : en0 (build in ethernet, works) and fn0, firewire, but no en1. The io80211 extension is not loaded.

I got no problem loading the kext manualy with kextload, so the permissions are right...

I'm i doing something wrong? Anyone got a clue?

thnx!

-edit-

I just noticed : sometimes i get the following message in my console :

Jan 31 23:10:02 fords-computer configd[48]: WirelessAirPortDeviceNameCopy(): no AirPort driver found

But still the kext is not loaded. Maybe that's a clue about what i'm doing wrong? I hope someone can help me out.

So i dl'd the extensions from this topic, added the 4306 and the 4320 to the plist, did the chown/chmod/cache routine, rebooted.... and nothing shows up.

In the systemprofiler are two nic's : en0 (build in ethernet, works) and fn0, firewire, but no en1. The io80211 extension is not loaded.

I got no problem loading the kext manualy with kextload, so the permissions are right...

I'm i doing something wrong? Anyone got a clue?

I get the exact same problem. I am trying this on a HP Pavilion ZV6000 that i installed 111a on(vmware to physical harddisk). I'm pretty sure i have the right card, i have a Broadcom 80211.b/g WLAN. I couldn't find the chipset number anwhere, but looking at id's in win xp led me to believe it was a 4306. Is there any easy way to find your chipset?

Also, every time i reboot, my system clock is set back to 1969 so i dunno if that's a completely diff prob or if it could be the cause of something not getting loaded correctly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

UPDATE:

I got mine working! It turns out that the id on my card was 4318 so i had to add that to the plist, after that it worked fine. Only thing that isn't working is that status meter on the wifi.

Just to recap for anyone with the same card/latop as me:

I installed the 10.4.4 IO80211Family.ktext and i modified the plist to have a 4318.