• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Ok, update on my end.

I have to delete the AppleAirPort2 kext (it has my device ID in it though), and then edit the Info.plist for the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext to have my device ID of 4320 in it. Apparently you will probably want to leave the AirPort2 kext alone, as it errors in -v even on a working broadcom chipset.

So, kextstat now shows it being loaded, but if I attempt to manually run the airport program as noted earlier, I still get that bootstrap error.:( But just as a note, the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext shows as loaded with kextstat, but ifconfig -a doesn't list any adapters for me.

d1g1ta7

d1g1ta7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Where can I find the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext?

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Its buried a few deep in IO80211Family or some such directory inside of Plugins.

outoftheboxx10

outoftheboxx10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:mostly hardware

Ok, update on my end.

I have to delete the AppleAirPort2 kext (it has my device ID in it though), and then edit the Info.plist for the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext to have my device ID of 4320 in it. Apparently you will probably want to leave the AirPort2 kext alone, as it errors in -v even on a working broadcom chipset.

So, kextstat now shows it being loaded, but if I attempt to manually run the airport program as noted earlier, I still get that bootstrap error.:blink: But just as a note, the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext shows as loaded with kextstat, but ifconfig -a doesn't list any adapters for me.

same experience with mine, only i removed both appleairport kexts as not to interfere...no dice

Tak

Tak

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
In the same plugins directory where AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is located, are two executable files called wpa_supplicant and wpad. Google for these and you'll find some interesting info - we may be able to get WPA support with these.

http://hostap.epites...wpa_supplicant/

ohpossum

ohpossum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

My thoughts:

It looks like AppleAirPort2 may not have x86 code in it at all. I suspect that wireless functionality has been moved from AppleAirPort2 to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext.

AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext's Info.plist has device IDs for three cards:

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

Someone with a 4320 (Dell truemobile 1300) could edit the plist, then reboot. You should see something like: AirPortPCI_MM: Ethernet address 00:90:4b:7b:xx:xx during boot (and in dmesg).

If that happens, you can use the airport command line to associate with a network.

On my dell d600, I've removed AppleAirPort.kext and AppleAirPort2.kext from Extensions and my card continues to work as it did before. That confirms that AirPort2.text isn't doing anything anymore.

Unfortunately, the 8f1111 Installer's Essential.pkg doesn't have ANY reference to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Either 1111's AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is somewhere different, or 1111 has no wireless support at all, or theres an entirely new way to do wireless in 1111.

1111's AppleAirPort2.kext gives the same error as 1099's

op

fallingup

fallingup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
i was just thinking about how you guys have to use the command line tools for aiport, has anyone tried istumbler? or perhaps making sure that you are running the airport config utility in x86? i dont mean to sound noob, so sorry if i did. but let me know at least about istumbler...

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts

On my dell d600, I've removed AppleAirPort.kext and AppleAirPort2.kext from Extensions and my card continues to work as it did before. That confirms that AirPort2.text isn't doing anything anymore.

Unfortunately, the 8f1111 Installer's Essential.pkg doesn't have ANY reference to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Either 1111's AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is somewhere different, or 1111 has no wireless support at all, or theres an entirely new way to do wireless in 1111.

1111's AppleAirPort2.kext gives the same error as 1099's

op

Thanks, good info. ;) I might try a 1111 install with the tpm fix and see if it will go, to get an idea of wireless and what is going on. The laptop is sorta useless w/out networking anyway.

loudog3114

loudog3114

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I am assuming the the dell 1450 abg wifi card falls into this broadcom not working category?

toddicus

toddicus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
possibly off topic, but could anyone post the appleAirPort2.kext that works in 10.4.1? The link in the old discussion is dead.

I'm still running 10.4.1 on a Dell D600, and I can't compile the driver as the instructions say, I get a error on line 1, something about 'before numeric constant'. Separate issue, but that's why I can't make it myself, using gcc 4.0.

So if anyone is willing to post that I would greatly appreciate it, if I can't use wireless in class, I may have to go back to windows, blah.

EDITED BY SPORTMAN<

Just so you know this thread is for 10.4.3, It would be appreciated if you kept posts like this with the old thread, but I will not delete ur post because, i am sure someone here would have the compile kext.

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
erm... whilst fiddling about I found IO80211Family.kext with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext inside on my system. both loaded without error with kextload. I'm running 10.4.3 1099, could these be left over from 10.4.1?

ohpossum

ohpossum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

So if anyone is willing to post that I would greatly appreciate it, if I can't use wireless in class, I may have to go back to windows, blah.

http://forum.osx86pr...ic=1655&hl=d600

outoftheboxx10

outoftheboxx10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:mostly hardware

http://forum.osx86pr...ic=1655&hl=d600

not exactly what any of us were looking for, but thanks...people in here are discussing the new developer seed 10.4.3, not 10.4.1

fallingup

fallingup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

not exactly what any of us were looking for, but thanks...people in here are discussing the new developer seed 10.4.3, not 10.4.1

he was posting that for someone else...

OCedHrt

OCedHrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

erm... whilst fiddling about I found IO80211Family.kext with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext inside on my system. both loaded without error with kextload. I'm running 10.4.3 1099, could these be left over from 10.4.1?

I have it on my 10.4.3 1099 as well.

I believe my 700m uses the Dell 1350 but I can't get it to work, even with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext loaded. And it doesn't load on startup when I reboot.

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
8f1111 has less (read NO I think) wireless support. At least I can't find any kexts (IO80211Family is gone) that load.

enb14

enb14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

8f1111 has less (read NO I think) wireless support. At least I can't find any kexts (IO80211Family is gone) that load.

use AppleAirport2.kext, I'm trying to figure out how to fix my wireless to adding into plist my device ID but it doesn't seems to work.

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts

use AppleAirport2.kext, I'm trying to figure out how to fix my wireless to adding into plist my device ID but it doesn't seems to work.

Its ppc only I think, it won't even load (same as in prior build). My ID is already in that kext.

Edited by cyrana, 30 November 2005 - 03:31 PM.

fallingup

fallingup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
has anyone tried patching the kext from the darwin cd? or using the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext and istumbler? please let me know

ohpossum

ohpossum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

If you were sucessfull in using /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport to configure and associate, you can copy /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext from 1099 to 1111 and you can get the same "semi-working" state as you had before.

op

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy