10.4.3 broadcom wireless effort

sportman

235 posts in this topic

My thoughts:

It looks like AppleAirPort2 may not have x86 code in it at all. I suspect that wireless functionality has been moved from AppleAirPort2 to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext.

AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext's Info.plist has device IDs for three cards:

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

Someone with a 4320 (Dell truemobile 1300) could edit the plist, then reboot. You should see something like: AirPortPCI_MM: Ethernet address 00:90:4b:7b:xx:xx during boot (and in dmesg).

If that happens, you can use the airport command line to associate with a network.

On my dell d600, I've removed AppleAirPort.kext and AppleAirPort2.kext from Extensions and my card continues to work as it did before. That confirms that AirPort2.text isn't doing anything anymore.

Unfortunately, the 8f1111 Installer's Essential.pkg doesn't have ANY reference to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Either 1111's AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is somewhere different, or 1111 has no wireless support at all, or theres an entirely new way to do wireless in 1111.

1111's AppleAirPort2.kext gives the same error as 1099's

op

i was just thinking about how you guys have to use the command line tools for aiport, has anyone tried istumbler? or perhaps making sure that you are running the airport config utility in x86? i dont mean to sound noob, so sorry if i did. but let me know at least about istumbler...

On my dell d600, I've removed AppleAirPort.kext and AppleAirPort2.kext from Extensions and my card continues to work as it did before. That confirms that AirPort2.text isn't doing anything anymore.

Unfortunately, the 8f1111 Installer's Essential.pkg doesn't have ANY reference to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Either 1111's AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is somewhere different, or 1111 has no wireless support at all, or theres an entirely new way to do wireless in 1111.

1111's AppleAirPort2.kext gives the same error as 1099's

op

Thanks, good info. ;) I might try a 1111 install with the tpm fix and see if it will go, to get an idea of wireless and what is going on. The laptop is sorta useless w/out networking anyway.

possibly off topic, but could anyone post the appleAirPort2.kext that works in 10.4.1? The link in the old discussion is dead.

I'm still running 10.4.1 on a Dell D600, and I can't compile the driver as the instructions say, I get a error on line 1, something about 'before numeric constant'. Separate issue, but that's why I can't make it myself, using gcc 4.0.

So if anyone is willing to post that I would greatly appreciate it, if I can't use wireless in class, I may have to go back to windows, blah.

EDITED BY SPORTMAN<

Just so you know this thread is for 10.4.3, It would be appreciated if you kept posts like this with the old thread, but I will not delete ur post because, i am sure someone here would have the compile kext.

erm... whilst fiddling about I found IO80211Family.kext with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext inside on my system. both loaded without error with kextload. I'm running 10.4.3 1099, could these be left over from 10.4.1?

erm... whilst fiddling about I found IO80211Family.kext with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext inside on my system. both loaded without error with kextload. I'm running 10.4.3 1099, could these be left over from 10.4.1?

I have it on my 10.4.3 1099 as well.

I believe my 700m uses the Dell 1350 but I can't get it to work, even with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext loaded. And it doesn't load on startup when I reboot.

8f1111 has less (read NO I think) wireless support. At least I can't find any kexts (IO80211Family is gone) that load.

use AppleAirport2.kext, I'm trying to figure out how to fix my wireless to adding into plist my device ID but it doesn't seems to work.

use AppleAirport2.kext, I'm trying to figure out how to fix my wireless to adding into plist my device ID but it doesn't seems to work.

Its ppc only I think, it won't even load (same as in prior build). My ID is already in that kext.

Edited by cyrana

8f1111 has less (read NO I think) wireless support. At least I can't find any kexts (IO80211Family is gone) that load.

If you were sucessfull in using /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport to configure and associate, you can copy /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext from 1099 to 1111 and you can get the same "semi-working" state as you had before.

op

Someone with a 4320 (Dell truemobile 1300) could edit the plist, then reboot. You should see something like: AirPortPCI_MM: Ethernet address 00:90:4b:7b:xx:xx during boot (and in dmesg).

Hey, ohpossum.

I have a Broadcom 4320. I edited the Info.plist, as you suggested, and can see that the IO80211Family.kext and AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext are loaded at boot by calling kextstat from the terminal. However, nothing shows up regarding AirPortPCI_MM during boot or in dmesg.

Additionally, running the airport PrivateFramework gives me this error:

WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed

error: bootstrap_status 1102 for port name "com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd.airport"

After that, if I run kextstat again, IO80211Family and AppleAirPortBrcm4311 have disappeared from the loaded kext list.

Have any helpful tips? Thanks!

I'm running 10.4.3 8F1099.

could we just compile the file on 10.4.3? because certain kexts are version specific.

The Darwin source for AppleAirport2.kext is not available. If it was, it would have already been compiled and there would be no need for this thread ;)

The initial hack did not require the original source code for the kext.

lagnat used the Darwin precompiled kext and added a couple of functions that were missing. The driver was relinked with these functions - this can be done without needing the original source code.

It was all documented back in August here

Hi all,

I've been messing around and I'm hoping someone here could tell me if I've officially stumbled onto something:

I'm using 10.4.3 8f1099 and have read the posts in this thread.

I also am able to get IO80211Family.kext loaded, which loads AppleAirPortBrcm.kext. If you look at "extensions" under System Profiler, you can see that both report dependency errors such as com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

even though those seem OK.

But if you look at IOKit and IOKit6, it says under "Get Info String" Pseudoextension . (false extension?)

So I was wondering if that is where the problem lies. I don't know much about Darwin and even less about Xcode, but IOKit is available for compile on the apple website.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated!!

Mark

Just posting in here to express my EXTREME interest in this project. Seriously.

we KNOW it CAN work - I have a working OSX install 10.4.3 with wireless networking, and as described on the first page I get the wirelesss ONLY until i reboot, at which point the OS seems to forget that it was ever connected...

I look forward to any developments.

Which wifi device are you using?

pretty sure it's a broadcom but i'm not home to tell for sure.

part of the problem is that it's one of the spare d610's from my office - and about half of them were upgraded to the intel 2200's when we bought them for better linux compatability (well, easier setup anyway :().

i'll know later today, in about 6 or 7 hours, when i get home. i'll open it and tell you exactly which.

i'm using build 8f1099, if that matters.