Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

any updates from anybody? i've been busy lately but should be trying to dual boot shortly.

hello again. been out traveling for a few weeks and used the D620 in leopard mode most of the time. it's set up to dual boot with XP and i just used XP when on airplanes to make the battery last as long as possible for movie watching purposes.

catching up with this thread a bit, i have the GMA950 video and i also have some intermittant graphic tearing (with AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer 1.4.20.28). i run with cpus=1. and i can sleep and wake up the laptop, but when it wakes up, the LCD does not turn back on. i wasn't clear sonicstorm if you were saying that you had been able to solve that sleep/wake issue with the GMA950 box or not.

i noticed that not only does the mute button not work, you cannot choose mute in the sound pref pane. so the whole mute function is disabled for this sound card with the current HDA kext.

hello again. been out traveling for a few weeks and used the D620 in leopard mode most of the time. it's set up to dual boot with XP and i just used XP when on airplanes to make the battery last as long as possible for movie watching purposes.

good to hear. i'm planning on dual booting sometime this coming week. we're also working on an install guide for others with the d620. hopefully it'll be done in a couple weeks.

sziggle, have you tried to use vmware fusion to run your windows xp partition? i keep getting a b0 error when trying to run it. how is your dual boot set up? are you using the darwin bootloader or another dual boot method? i'm using darwin right now and it's working great. i wish i could use vmware on the partition though...

sziggle, have you tried to use vmware fusion to run your windows xp partition? i keep getting a b0 error when trying to run it. how is your dual boot set up? are you using the darwin bootloader or another dual boot method? i'm using darwin right now and it's working great. i wish i could use vmware on the partition though...

i have not tried it and don't really have use for that configuration. my laptop only has 1 gb of ram, so i don't really think i'd get a lot of use from running vmware. i only need to run either os x or xp on the laptop at any given time (on my 4 gb desktop though, i am running XP through fusion for work nearly all the time).

at this point (while not traveling), i am mostly running XP on the laptop which is connected to my tv and set up to run media center.

i'm also using the darwin bootloader and have it set to give me a few seconds to hit F8 and choose which partition to boot. that's working great for me too.

just some things i noticed after using the dell on a daily basis for a couple days...

i've gotten a kernel panic a couple times just when the computer is about to shutdown. all the applications have already closed when it does happen.

the option "require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" in the security settings of system preferences doesn't work.

the mouse and keyboard locked randomly when scrolling through screen names in iChat.

besides those minor things, it's been working quite smoothly and a lot faster than my powerbook g4.

i have a latitude d620 as well and i disabled all the necesary cores and usb so that i dont get the grey screen when i boot. i am trying to install jas 10.4.8 but only the hard drive spins and nothing appears on the screen. please help

hey, is there any way you can upgrade to leopard or get a patched leopard install dvd? i think most of us are using 10.5 now. i never really got 10.4 going on my d620 and 10.5 is the newest and works great on the dell.

any progress with Broadcom 5752 ?

I can't use my Leo without a ethernet card. I have wireless but that's too slow for big amount of data.

Mihai

it seems like a work in progress still. there's a thread here, where one guy has been trying to develop a native Broadcom 57xx driver for OS X that you can check out here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...256&hl=57xx

In addition, this thread has been going on for a while. it looks like some people have had some success with the 5751 card which is probably really similar to the 5752 card. check it out here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...abit&st=360

if anyone has any other links to the broadcom 57xx driver post them here...

i have a latitude d620 as well and i disabled all the necesary cores and usb so that i dont get the grey screen when i boot. i am trying to install jas 10.4.8 but only the hard drive spins and nothing appears on the screen. please help

Hey there Creadivex,

Did you disable the PC Card option in the BIOS as well?

i wasn't clear sonicstorm if you were saying that you had been able to solve that sleep/wake issue with the GMA950 box or not.

Hey there sziggle,

I have not seen any graphics tearing with the GMA950 laptop that I am testing. There must be some kexts that are changed or different between the ToH RC2 version of Leopard and the BrazilMac patched version. jrp and I went through and compared our kexts a few weeks ago to see if we could find some differences. We did find some, and we are working on a guide that will, hopefully, work for everyone using a D620. We are thinking that a modified BrazilMac script is the way to go for the Latitude D620 because there are several items that are deleted in the script that do not affect the machine. I am thinking that the fewer items we delete the better... so we can have a machine that is as close to a Mac as possible.Question for you, are you using EFI? If so, which version? I have found that version 5.2 works the best for the Latitudes that I have tested.

Hey there sziggle,

I have not seen any graphics tearing with the GMA950 laptop that I am testing. There must be some kexts that are changed or different between the ToH RC2 version of Leopard and the BrazilMac patched version. jrp and I went through and compared our kexts a few weeks ago to see if we could find some differences. We did find some, and we are working on a guide that will, hopefully, work for everyone using a D620. We are thinking that a modified BrazilMac script is the way to go for the Latitude D620 because there are several items that are deleted in the script that do not affect the machine. I am thinking that the fewer items we delete the better... so we can have a machine that is as close to a Mac as possible.Question for you, are you using EFI? If so, which version? I have found that version 5.2 works the best for the Latitudes that I have tested.

hey sonicstorm, i wasn't actualy asking about the 'graphics tearing' issue. i was asking about being able to sleep the D620 and then wake it up and have the LCD turn on. when i sleep it and then wake it up, the panel doesn't turn back on although i can tell from the disk access lights and the fact that i can then hit the power button and then hit 'R' (for restart) and it restarts that it is actually waking up other than the LCD.

i haven't been spending any time on the D620 lately, so i haven't moved it to EFI yet. i'm thinking that since i am not traveling right now and mostly using my desktop, i'll wait a bit and see what kind of EFI-based install DVDs come out in the mean time.

ok. i got it installed, but i have no internet, no sound, and no bootloader. i can only boot off the install disk, and only when pci slot is disabled.can anyone help me.

after the computer gets past the gray boot screen, the image disapears and is only visible from an external monitor

could it be that i am using an old bios. what bios version you all you guys have

ok. i got it installed, but i have no internet, no sound, and no bootloader. i can only boot off the install disk, and only when pci slot is disabled.can anyone help me.

after the computer gets past the gray boot screen, the image disapears and is only visible from an external monitor

could it be that i am using an old bios. what bios version you all you guys have

Creadivex,

I am using BIOS A08. I found that when I was using version A02, my keyboard and mouse didn't work.

Just wanted to share my story with you guys. BTW.. I started the project of Hackintoshing my Dell a couple of days ago.

First of, I am using the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD. Extracted with WinRAR and burned with Nero. Fortunately I have a spare HD for may lappy, so I swapped it out to have an empty HD to play with. (My Vista installation is safe!!!)

Booted from the CD with the vanilla option. Formated the HD and set it up with GUID. Customized the installation with the vanilla option. This is explained a lot better in the Kalyway readme. Installation completed successfully.

When restarting, using the the startup option "cpus=1" is much recommended. It will make everything run a lot smoother. I have play with this a bit and have not got it working well with out that option.

The Broadcom wifi worked out of the box.

Then modify the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to add "cpus=1". It should look like this when you are done.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I copied the file to the desktop, modified it with TextEdit and copied it back (it will ask for password).

The to get the audio to work I went to this page http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859 and grabbed "AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip" and then to http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/sigmatel/ and grabbed Sigmatel9200.txt

The instructions are easy to follow, so there is not need to repost.

So I think I am about 90% now. Off to try and get the battery, speedstep and sleep to work. I don't use the wired nic, so I will pass on that

Thanks to everyone one this forums for the helping me get this far...

Hey Dan,

Can you post the PCI address/device ID (or whatever the official name these days is) from Windows' Device Manager for your Broadcom card and SigmaTel card? I know D620s have different versions of their sound card, and perhaps the network card as well, and I want to make sure we have the same hardware before I uninstall Uphuck and try Kalyway.

Thanks, much appreciated.