10.4.9 Update - Common Questions and Answers

errandwolfe

134 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just received a new T60 and the first thing I'll did was trying to install MacOSX on it. Before that I had a T41p that was running MacOSX 10.4.8 just fine. But now I've got big problems.

I used the latest macos from the demon "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.with v1p.and.Deviant.patch", it installs fine but when it reboots I can't see anything, it's dark. I see the blue screen and the mouse and 3 sec after it's dark and won't go further.

What can I do?

I tried an older image;

1. Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD Intel (JaS)

2. JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip <--- I'm here at the moment...

3. koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip

Will this work and will I not have any problems to install the newest kernel?

Just installed "koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip" after I installed "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip" and it messed all up.

I've got the grey screen with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..." :'(

Just installed "koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip" after I installed "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip" and it messed all up.

I've got the grey screen with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..." :'(

I installed Koolkal 10.4.9 combo on top of a clean install of 10.4.6 and it worked perfectly. Try installing an earlier version if you have it, or try 4.8 again and only install the minimum you need to boot at the installer options screen.

I installed Koolkal 10.4.9 combo on top of a clean install of 10.4.6 and it worked perfectly. Try installing an earlier version if you have it, or try 4.8 again and only install the minimum you need to boot at the installer options screen.

That's an idea :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

What options did you use for koolkal 10.4.9?

That's an idea :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

What options did you use for koolkal 10.4.9?

I just choose the 4.9 kernel, and:

IOATAFamily.kext + ich8 sata support

ionetworkingfamily

(the dafaults)

Second time I installed, I just went with the 4.9 kernel, and everythings working great.

Can we still update the kernel using Prasys's Easy Update script, or is there a more complicated method?

Also, I'm wondering why the installers sets the fsb to 200, I've fixed it via the boot options, but why was this implemented in the first place.

I've just installed koolkal with default options (kernel upgrade) on my 10.4.8 installation and it just messed all up. OS X tries to booth but gives me a shutdown/restart screen and hangs there, when I use verbose mode it keeps throwing core services errors, any idea of whats going on? My 10.4.8 installation is really dead isnt it?

What is this "r3d3" ??

Where to put the mach_kernel? I red that it was elsewhere than just on the root '/' ???

r3d3 is a kernel extension, needed by the newer 10.4.9 kernels. It should be in /System/Library/Extensions. If it's not there, you can get it from irc, you'll then need to chmod/ chown it, trash mkext & kextcache, then repair permissions (ask again here if you need any assistance)

mach_kernel lives in /

to swap a kernel: (from paulicat)

type

mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.unpatched

cp /location/to/your/patched/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

hth,

The Baron

Hi

I installed using Netkas method.

Now it gives a blue screen with a faded pointer.

on F8 -v it shows it is stuck at "waiting for cpu throttling"

I installed paulicat speedstep, maybe it doesn't like it (if so how to remove it?)

I also installed the new natit adapted for 10.4.9 from Diabolik, but it didnt cure it.

Any idea?

My system is Prescott HTT 3GHz with ATI 1600 AGP.

Help appreciated

Billy

Loki's updater with 8.9.1 kernel is only for SSE3 machines or not? I'm on a SSE2 CPU, so i'll have to update with Ahmad Moawya's guide, retaining 8.8.1 kernel?

EDIT

Ok, clarified at the torrent description:

This is the final updater to 10.4.9 for Intel SSE3/2. SSE2 is only supported if you dont select the 10.4.9 kernel package as this is sse3 only. This is meant to be a update from 10.4.8, so if u dont have a functioning 10.4.8 install, this will not fix it.

I'll follow the Ahmad Moawya's method.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO this update hasn't been much of a success as previous ones.

Too many people have been experiencing problems, including myself, albeit minor ones in my case, but I have the most compatible hardware one can buy.

I wish somebody released a new one, especially now that Leopard is going to be delayed.

Also I am very much afraid this is a sign of things to come, as the community feels very split right now.

:) Guys if you have any problem up date to 10.4.9, try to search some where in this forum, that tell you how to update using 10.4.9 delta, it alway work for me follow that instruction!!!

I install 4 diference PC alraedy, 1 is a AMD and 2 was an intel, and last one is My Lovely Dell Laptop 8600, And they all been up date to 10.4.9.

The 2 Intel System update with no problem at all, but the AMD and my laptop, I have to boot in to -legacy mode in order for my update to boot up!!! And to be unest I have no clue what is -legacy mean at all, I just try it because, the last time for me to use -legacy was patching my audio, And after that when ever I have problem install something I just thought try to use -legacy to see if it work!!! And guys and can not garrentee it would work for you ok!!!

Here guy!!! the instruction I follow!!! give it a try!!!

This guide is fully updated now. Do not worry from any posts below. I have included all the new kexts and files to backup to avoid as much problems as possible.

Requirements:

1) 10.4.9 Delta updater (from Apple's website)

2) 15-30 minutes of your time

Known issues (as far as I know):

Disk images fail to mount and iPods not being recognized. This has been fixed by backing-up 10.4.8 system.kext (included in the updated instructions).

GMA900 did not work after update (see notes below)

Seps:

1) Open up the terminal and type "sudo -s" then "your password" then the following (line by line):

CODEcp /mach_kernel /old

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/system.kext /

2) Keep terminal open.

3) Open disk utility and keep it open

4) Run the delta installer (AND DO NOT RESTART---IGNORE THE INSTALLER WINDOW)

5) Open terminal and type the following:

CODEcp /old /mach_kernel

cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/

cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/

rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

6) Open disk utility and repair permissions for your OS X partition

7) Pray and restart the system (unless you have GMA 900 --> read below)

8) Post pictures of your 10.4.9

This has been tested on my computer and fully working. No problems until now.

GMA 900 users: (Do these steps after finishing above steps)

1) insert your JaS 10.4.8 DVD

2) navigate to system>installation>packages (on the DVD)

3) install JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.support.pkg

4) repair permissions

5) reboot

Disclaimer:

Again, I am not responsible for any damage happening to you, your computer, your data or anything due to following my instructions. Different hardware configurations could still cause problems.

cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/

cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/

rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

Most of these aren't actually needed.

SMBIOS, system, IOATAFamily. That's it for most people. And again, this keeps the old kernel.

For TRUE 10.4.9 (SSE3 Intel)

use the mach_kernel from #1049 on irc.osx86.hu

use the old SMBIOS.

use r3d3 from #1049.

QuestioN can i install the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

On a Hp pavillion that have 2 disk the original DISK have XPHOME .

I want to put inside my Hp a new disk and make a clean install of 10.4.8 , IT'is possibile , i want to use

<h2 class="r">GRUB4DOS and WINGRUB Not other pirate software , i want that al is original .

</h2>Why Acronis is better , i prefer to chose the boot disk than to use a software .

I dont want to destroy may ol d disk and may original lincensed xp , and make all the experiment on the new one disk .

IS possible ?

Can anyone gime a link that explain how to have two OS on TWO separate disk ?

I dont want partition .

My hp have a partion for restore xp .

thanks

Last question can the machine with 10.4.8 with this configuration reboot without select disk or os .

Ineed a machine that work natively is possible ?

this is my motherboard

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...cname=c00379616

or

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...g_R1002_US#N293

My PC is SSE3 ready have Pentium 4 3GHZ 630 , geforce 6100 SE and

* Realtek ALC 882 chipset.

The ethernet is

Onboard LAN

• Intel 82562GT
  • 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet

Some one cna help me

TWO OS on TWO separate disk , real reboot natively on OSX .

Eventualy i want to choose the os with bios .

Thanx for all