• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

xevean

xevean

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
the dual core kernel shows up as x2 1 core disabled while the x2 1 core disabled kernel shows up as dual core. at least it did on my machine.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Thanks, xevean, I'm on x2 1 core disabled kernel and yes it show now 2 cores, to graphs on Processor Palette and Activity Monitor, also got better Xbench results with this than the x2 kernel, could they be mis-switched?

gotoh

gotoh

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I have same behaviour here, also needed to set FSB at 133 to get correct speed detected and fix the audio glitching... Now runs perfect with 2 cores, fast and smooth :blink:

lord_muad_dib

lord_muad_dib

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,398 posts
@gotoh: you got a manchester or a toledo core?

strange behaviour
hmmm maybe it's due different cpu designs

binary.koala

binary.koala

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
after the update my P4 524 3.06 shows up as "4.30 GHz Intel Core Solo", which i totally don't mind ;) (HT on/off didn't matter)
my performance rating also jumped quite a lot, now my overall (-hard disk) in Xbench is ~130 compared to ~90 on 10.4.8! although i didn't really feel the difference i think it's a great improvement!

binary.koala

binary.koala

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
ahh, silly me, it's just that my fsb was not right anymore, set it to 133 and everything is back no normal... but still "Intel Core Solo" :)

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
Hi,

I just received a new T60 and the first thing I'll did was trying to install MacOSX on it. Before that I had a T41p that was running MacOSX 10.4.8 just fine. But now I've got big problems.

I used the latest macos from the demon "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.with v1p.and.Deviant.patch", it installs fine but when it reboots I can't see anything, it's dark. I see the blue screen and the mouse and 3 sec after it's dark and won't go further.

What can I do?

I tried an older image;

1. Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD Intel (JaS)
2. JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip <--- I'm here at the moment...
3. koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip

Will this work and will I not have any problems to install the newest kernel?

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
Just installed "koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip" after I installed "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip" and it messed all up.

I've got the grey screen with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..." :'(

The Baron

The Baron

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Just installed "koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip" after I installed "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip" and it messed all up.

I've got the grey screen with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..." :'(

I installed Koolkal 10.4.9 combo on top of a clean install of 10.4.6 and it worked perfectly. Try installing an earlier version if you have it, or try 4.8 again and only install the minimum you need to boot at the installer options screen.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

I installed Koolkal 10.4.9 combo on top of a clean install of 10.4.6 and it worked perfectly. Try installing an earlier version if you have it, or try 4.8 again and only install the minimum you need to boot at the installer options screen.

That's an idea :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

What options did you use for koolkal 10.4.9?

The Baron

The Baron

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

That's an idea :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

What options did you use for koolkal 10.4.9?

I just choose the 4.9 kernel, and:
IOATAFamily.kext + ich8 sata support
ionetworkingfamily
(the dafaults)

Second time I installed, I just went with the 4.9 kernel, and everythings working great.

rparker

rparker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Can we still update the kernel using Prasys's Easy Update script, or is there a more complicated method?

Also, I'm wondering why the installers sets the fsb to 200, I've fixed it via the boot options, but why was this implemented in the first place.

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
Indeed on http://netkas.freeflux.net/ you can find a link to the new mach_kernel that sets your fsb automatically. Just have to move that file to root of folders "/"

Erick

Erick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
I've just installed koolkal with default options (kernel upgrade) on my 10.4.8 installation and it just messed all up. OS X tries to booth but gives me a shutdown/restart screen and hangs there, when I use verbose mode it keeps throwing core services errors, any idea of whats going on? My 10.4.8 installation is really dead isnt it?

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

r3d3

What is this "r3d3" ??

Where to put the mach_kernel? I red that it was elsewhere than just on the root '/' ???

The Baron

The Baron

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

What is this "r3d3" ??

Where to put the mach_kernel? I red that it was elsewhere than just on the root '/' ???

r3d3 is a kernel extension, needed by the newer 10.4.9 kernels. It should be in /System/Library/Extensions. If it's not there, you can get it from irc, you'll then need to chmod/ chown it, trash mkext & kextcache, then repair permissions (ask again here if you need any assistance)

mach_kernel lives in /

to swap a kernel: (from paulicat)

type
mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.unpatchedcp /location/to/your/patched/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

hth,

The Baron

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
Which is the latest?

I used the netkas kernel yesterday but machine crashed today and don't know if I installed it in the right folder.

bgrau

bgrau

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
Hi
I installed using Netkas method.
Now it gives a blue screen with a faded pointer.
on F8 -v it shows it is stuck at "waiting for cpu throttling"
I installed paulicat speedstep, maybe it doesn't like it (if so how to remove it?)
I also installed the new natit adapted for 10.4.9 from Diabolik, but it didnt cure it.
Any idea?
My system is Prescott HTT 3GHz with ATI 1600 AGP.
Help appreciated
Billy

Ferret-Simpson

Ferret-Simpson

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Installed 10.4.9 the hard way - Netkas two things.

Kernel is working fine now, thanks. ^^
And you know that it's spelt Jujitsu, right? :P

So, as always.

:happymac:

babgolis

babgolis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
JAS update totally killed my finely tuned 10.4.8. I can't get past F8 -f -v far enough to get a usable error. I can't boot into safe mode either. Using P4m800-mv2 mobo. Oh well. I'll wait until a combo disk is out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy